• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Seda

FFTA has the best moogles.

laSjv26.jpg
RV196Mw.jpg
kBjyFoc.jpg

CorvoSol

Thank you. Hmm, I might go ahead with it down the line, though I do already have the DS version. Is the addition of After Years worth it by any chance?

Yeah, I wouldn't touch that anyway. The reason they keep doing stuff for iOS is due to it being quite popular in Japan, correct?

Come to think of it, has SE done anything for the Vita? I know they've done a couple titles for the 3DS such as Bravely Default and Dragon Quest VII, but I can't think of anything else.

The After Years is okay, and this is the cheapest means of getting it, since the wii version charges you full price and all. It's not spectacular, but two games for like twenty bucks isn't bad. I personally prefer the DS version of FF4 to the PSP, but the PSP version is not a bad deal.

Noi

I paid full price for all the extra Tales in the Wii version. Then I bought FF4:CC.

I never beat it on the Wii.

CorvoSol

I paid full price for all the extra Tales in the Wii version. Then I bought FF4:CC.

I never beat it on the Wii.

I beat it on the Wii. I fucking RNG'd the shit out of it on the Wii. I had all the bonus summons and all the stuff from Rydia's tale.

Then I got the PSP version and CWCheated the shit out of that game.

Noi

I beat it on the Wii. I fucking RNG'd the shit out of it on the Wii. I had all the bonus summons and all the stuff from Rydia's tale.

Then I got the PSP version and CWCheated the shit out of that game.

Oh, I did all of that stuff. I remember getting a bazillion HP increasing items and using them to break the shit out of Ceodore and saving more for the last tale. RNG'd the summons as well, and did the challenge dungeons for every tale.

...But then I got to the Crystals tale, stopped playing and never picked it back up. Pretty much burnt myself out on it.

CorvoSol

Oh, I did all of that stuff. I remember getting a bazillion HP increasing items and using them to break the shit out of Ceodore and saving more for the last tale. RNG'd the summons as well, and did the challenge dungeons for every tale.

...But then I got to the Crystals tale, stopped playing and never picked it back up. Pretty much burnt myself out on it.

It does not help that the final dungeon is roughly as long as the rest of the entire game.

AutumnAve

Can anyone help me/link me/whatever to how to bust Final Fantay VIII wide open? I'm about to start a new playthrough and I would like to do abuse the systems mechanics.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Can anyone help me/link me/whatever to how to bust Final Fantay VIII wide open? I'm about to start a new playthrough and I would like to do abuse the systems mechanics.

All you really have to do is junction 100x anything powerful to Strength and you will steamroll the entire game. This is particularly true by the time you have access to moving Balamb and can use Diablos's No-encounter to reach the top of Odin's Tower with something absurd left on the clock and just draw 100x triples for all three of your characters. Then junction that to speed on the characters that have that option. I know that isn't super specific, but I don't remember off the top of my head exactly how to get the Lion Heart on Disc 1 even though I've done it and figured it out on my own at one point :lol

jaxword

No-Encounters to keep levels low, use "CARD" to kill enemies without getting exp, get Lionheart on Disc one using a guide, steamroll everything with that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No-Encounters to keep levels low, use "CARD" to kill enemies without getting exp, get Lionheart on Disc one using a guide, steamroll everything with that.

I never found enemy levels to be a big deal since as they go up you get more spells in their tables to draw on. I used to keep them as low as possible to abuse the GF top level stat boosts though.

FF8 is a super easy, almost broken, game if you understand the mechanics of the junction and draw system at all.

AutumnAve

All you really have to do is junction 100x anything powerful to Strength and you will steamroll the entire game. This is particularly true by the time you have access to moving Balamb and can use Diablos's No-encounter to reach the top of Odin's Tower with something absurd left on the clock and just draw 100x triples for all three of your characters. Then junction that to speed on the characters that have that option. I know that isn't super specific, but I don't remember off the top of my head exactly how to get the Lion Heart on Disc 1 even though I've done it and figured it out on my own at one point :lol

Okay, thanks for quick replies!

CorvoSol

Disc One Lionheart is the only way to play the game for me, now.

Also, in FF9 I have finally finished Ughpsen's Castle. Maybe now dungeons can go back to being normal, but I have to wonder if at this stage in the game it is worth leveling up people not named Vivi, Steiner, Garnet and Zidane.

Also, in FF9 I have finally finished Ughpsen's Castle. Maybe now dungeons can go back to being normal, but I have to wonder if at this stage in the game it is worth leveling up people not named Vivi, Steiner, Garnet and Zidane.

Eiko is worth it because of Double White.
Quina is worth it because of Auto-Life, Angel Snack, and Frog Drop, not to mention Level 5 Death for easy leveling.
Freya is worth it because Dragon's Crest, like Zidane's Thievery, is a great source of 9999 damage.
Amarant...is not worth it.

Disc One Lionheart is the only way to play the game for me, now.

You really should use Eiko over Garnet. And you should try using Freya...especially if you can power up Dragon's Crest. It requires killing 100 dragons...I did it over a span of several days and it was worth it.

Xux

I never had an issue with Ipsen Castle; the gimmick always seemed well beyond trifling.

I also could really fathom the idea of not using certain characters in a game; I always use everyone.

Noi

Eiko does everything white mage related better than Garnet, and Summons are redundant when you already use Steiner and Vivi for massive damage.

Eiko does everything white mage related better than Garnet, and Summons are redundant when you already use Steiner and Vivi for massive damage.

Yeah, Summons are really under-powered in FF9. The only one you ever really need to cast is Carbuncle, and wouldn't you know it, Eiko has it!

Yeah, Summons are really under-powered in FF9. The only one you ever really need to cast is Carbuncle, and wouldn't you know it, Eiko has it!

Summon Ark while all your characters have Auto-Haste and Auto-Regen on, should heal them up all the way

Oh wait, that requires me to use Dagger...

CorvoSol

But I don't like Eiko . . .

Oh, well, I might give her and Freya a chance, but Amarant is meh and Quina is just not worth it to me. Eating things is absurdly difficult to do.

But I don't like Eiko . . .

Oh, well, I might give her and Freya a chance, but Amarant is meh and Quina is just not worth it to me. Eating things is absurdly difficult to do.

If you haven't been eating with Quina since Disc 1, then yeah it ain't worth it. If you have, then Quina only gets more useful as the game progresses, with the peak being Disc 3 so you can farm Grand Dragons. As mentioned before, Freya is another source of 9999 damage and is great with Regen support.

Amarant isn't really good at anything unless you want someone to refill MP without using Ethers.

Voror

The After Years is okay, and this is the cheapest means of getting it, since the wii version charges you full price and all. It's not spectacular, but two games for like twenty bucks isn't bad. I personally prefer the DS version of FF4 to the PSP, but the PSP version is not a bad deal.

Well, I already have the DS version so I was wondering if purchasing it in this form again was worth it or not. Come to think of it though, I don't remember if I beat IV DS...

Huh, never knew about these strategies, though I had heard the Card one before. I was thinking about getting VIII off PSN and putting it into my list of replays. Is it relatively easy to accomplish?

Eiko is worth it because of Double White.
Quina is worth it because of Auto-Life, Angel Snack, and Frog Drop, not to mention Level 5 Death for easy leveling.
Freya is worth it because Dragon's Crest, like Zidane's Thievery, is a great source of 9999 damage.
Amarant...is not worth it.

Isn't there some trick towards getting really good stats for some of the later party members? Like avoiding all encounters and leveling up Blank I think for extra stats on Eiko?

I was planning on finally getting down to my FFIX replay when I get done with LoD and FFV.

Ultratech

Huh, never knew about these strategies, though I had heard the Card one before. I was thinking about getting VIII off PSN and putting it into my list of replays. Is it relatively easy to accomplish?

Not hard at all. Getting Lionheart can be kind of a pain, but it's worth it just to steamroll a lot of stuff.

Card Mod is also VERY useful for getting certain items and stuff from Cards you get.

Honestly, like Angry Grimace said, if you have some semblance of how the Junction system works, you can break the game wide open with the stuff it gives you.

jaxword

Well, the game scales levels, so if you keep your party level low, the enemies will be easy too. Especially if you're an experienced rpger.

Getting abilities like CARD or NO ENC is easy if you just read the list of abilities on the gfs.

Getting Lionheart...well, you'll either have to be really good at reading clues, or you can cheat and read gamefaqs for the list of instructions.

Voror

It only works with Eiko/Marcus.

Ah, thank you. I couldn't remember which of the temp members Eiko benefited from.

Not hard at all. Getting Lionheart can be kind of a pain, but it's worth it just to steamroll a lot of stuff.

Card Mod is also VERY useful for getting certain items and stuff from Cards you get.

Honestly, like Angry Grimace said, if you have some semblance of how the Junction system works, you can break the game wide open with the stuff it gives you.

It's funny, but I don't recall ever using the Card Mod when I played it way back when. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever playing Triple Triad. I think the whole changed rules constantly thing turned me off on it.

Indeed, the system is very easy to abuse.

Well, the game scales levels, so if you keep your party level low, the enemies will be easy too. Especially if you're an experienced rpger.

Getting abilities like CARD or NO ENC is easy if you just read the list of abilities on the gfs.

Getting Lionheart...well, you'll either have to be really good at reading clues, or you can cheat and read gamefaqs for the list of instructions.

I completely forgot that about the game, though honestly I don't remember too much of VIII at all aside from a few specific scenes.

I always like systems such as the GF where you can gain new abilities. IX had a similar thing going with the weapons and equipment.

Probably will just cheat on it then. Such things don't really bother me too much to be honest at this point. Particularly since I beat the game before even if I don't remember much.

CorvoSol

Well, I already have the DS version so I was wondering if purchasing it in this form again was worth it or not. Come to think of it though, I don't remember if I beat IV DS...

While I do consider IV DS the superior version available, the PSP version isn't a slouch. The DS version is best for Golbez' character in terms of story, but the PSP version gives you a fairly decent script without some of the silliness the DS version has (The DS version's Mysidian Legend is a hilarious mess, for instance.) and all.

Basically the PSP version is an updated version of the GBA version with After Years and a not-so-hot Interlude scenario. I would recommend picking it up for a cheap and better version of The After Years than the Wii. While the Wii version has all the RNGs, its chapter layout is in such a way that some major plot points get spoiled kinda early, where the PSP version is able to avoid that.

So if you want JUST FF4, then I'd recommend DS, but if you intend to play both 4 and TAY, then I'd say PSP is fine for anyone.

jaxword

Where is the new place? I'm in Tokyo for two more days and would love to drop by...

The new place is called ARTNIA.

It is in Shinjuku.

"
East Side Square 1F 6-27-30 Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 〒 160-0022
TEL 03-6457-6714
Opening Hours 11:00 to 22:00
Closed Thursdays
Nearest Fukutoshin Tokyo Metro Station A3 exit directly connected "Higashi" Oedo Line
6 minutes Fukutoshin-Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line, walk from Exit station E1 "Shinjukusanchome" Toei Shinjuku Line
These two stations are actually connected like many train/subway stations. Look for the signs to exit to Shinjuku Eastside.
"

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/artnia/en/news.html

Do try the Final Fantasy drinks and please tell me which is the best tasting! Note what it says about Thursday.

Teknoman

Any other FF have an actual beta logo that changed drastically compared to the final logo?

FinalFantasyXPS2JPBeta.jpg

Also I had no idea Tidus had black hair at first. Oh and anyone know of any footage of the early cel-shaded looking FFXII, or some history behind that?

Kinda like the beta logo more than the final.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't like the beta logo of FFX actually.

Wasn't FFX supposed to be the first Final Fantasy to have online stuff and decided to scrap the online stuff (the Calm Lands was supposed to have online stuff)?

Teknoman

I think so. Even the final game still has PlayOnline on the title screen, and even the layout of the title screen makes me think "online functionality".

thefil

The new place is called ARTNIA.

It is in Shinjuku.

"
East Side Square 1F 6-27-30 Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 〒 160-0022
TEL 03-6457-6714
Opening Hours 11:00 to 22:00
Closed Thursdays
Nearest Fukutoshin Tokyo Metro Station A3 exit directly connected "Higashi" Oedo Line
6 minutes Fukutoshin-Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line, walk from Exit station E1 "Shinjukusanchome" Toei Shinjuku Line
These two stations are actually connected like many train/subway stations. Look for the signs to exit to Shinjuku Eastside.
"

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/artnia/en/news.html

Do try the Final Fantasy drinks and please tell me which is the best tasting! Note what it says about Thursday.

I found it, but we didn't pick up on the Thursday thing before we went. You can see most of the store from the outside, though. The selection is pretty bad, and my girlfriend says it is much smaller than the previous store which she had visited on an earlier Tokyo trip.

Unfortunately we didn't get to try any of the drinks. :)

Might head back tomorrow but it's pretty unlikely given how little merch there was.

injurai

Banned
Tents or cabins. Or at least cabins.

And red mages are awesome!

Yes... but I'm too far in to change up my party now :(

might do a second playthrough.

For the NES version, Tents and cabins only do HP, and Houses are actually bugged in it in that they sometimes won't restore MP... it makes me hate that I don't have one of my mages as a Red mage...

Natetan

So I finished ff7 last night. I really had a lot of fun pairing materia this time means the strength of three regular attacks in a row. Combining deathblow with added cut and then also pairing added effect with poison, mini, and in the end hades was really fun. Also added effect on cut all or whatever was really fun too. Just add guard materia with counter materia and your Golden!

I also learned that pairing yuffies final weapon with morph is pretty broken. Before that I pretty much used Vincent costantly the minute I got him. Backrow attack plus a decent weapon with 255% hit is a perfect combination with the deathblow (which has a reduced hit percentage, but will hit every single time with that 255% hit weapon). Command materia are so awesome.

And like in ff5, enemy skill/ blue magic is awesome. White wind, Mighty guard. Even getting Beta early is really fun.

Meanwhile, I think i used summons like twice in the whole game. Even the magic materia other than cure i barely used thanks to enemy skill and yellow/purple materia.

I might be the only one, but I don't really like The Midgar part of the game. I don't really get into it until after Kalm.

jaxword

Man, if they do a good job with the FF7 remake, they could create a ton of sidequests that really push the Materia system.

Get Matsuno to come back.

Voror

While I do consider IV DS the superior version available, the PSP version isn't a slouch. The DS version is best for Golbez' character in terms of story, but the PSP version gives you a fairly decent script without some of the silliness the DS version has (The DS version's Mysidian Legend is a hilarious mess, for instance.) and all.

Basically the PSP version is an updated version of the GBA version with After Years and a not-so-hot Interlude scenario. I would recommend picking it up for a cheap and better version of The After Years than the Wii. While the Wii version has all the RNGs, its chapter layout is in such a way that some major plot points get spoiled kinda early, where the PSP version is able to avoid that.

So if you want JUST FF4, then I'd recommend DS, but if you intend to play both 4 and TAY, then I'd say PSP is fine for anyone.

Thanks for the listing of the tradeoffs between the two. I may end up checking it out down the line after I get some of the other FF games on my plate out of the way. I certainly don't have any intention of buying After Years on the Wii.

I'd heard the interlude was pretty bad. A neat idea, but a poorly implemented one at that.

Man, if they do a good job with the FF7 remake, they could create a ton of sidequests that really push the Materia system.

Get Matsuno to come back.

I'd still prefer they never do a remake. It could be an amazing experience, but the amount they would have to add and change from the design of the original just makes it feel like a project that could be too easily screwed up, thus becoming another waste of money for SE.

I also can't say I'd trust SE as the are now. It's one of the reasons for my concerns about XV.

injurai

Banned
Square has pretty much said they would never do a FF7 remake until they return to their height.

XV may be a fresh start for them. They seem to really be trying to gain a new footing with the FF franchise because they are realizing that is is becoming fragile despite of it's success.

Top Bottom