• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Wazzy

Banned
I don't want a remake unless it's done in the orignal's anime style, doesn't try to force all the compilation into it(I don't mind if they want to expand on certain characters like Zack but no Genesis) and doesn't censor anything.

Noi

The more plot "details" are shown about LR's side characters, the more I think the decision to make it a solo character game is hurting it.

Noel is still around! Help solve his newfound issues with Lightning!
We redesigned Snow for the third time! Duke it out with him while playing as Lightning!
We made Hope a kid again for some reason! Watch as he utters cryptic nonsense at Lightning.
Fang is in the game! She's not playable, you use Lightning instead!

Voror

Square has pretty much said they would never do a FF7 remake until they return to their height.

XV may be a fresh start for them. They seem to really be trying to gain a new footing with the FF franchise because they are realizing that is is becoming fragile despite of it's success.

So, never then? :p Though I would greatly like to see a return to form. But given their stated goals with the mobile games and such, I'm not sure how much hope there is for that. I suppose we'll have to start with XV to see.

I hope that's what they are doing though some comments based on what's happened in the recent past don't speak much to them learning from mistakes. There's also the issue of perhaps being too ambitious. But I suppose we'll just have to see what TGS brings us.

I don't want a remake unless it's done in the orignal's anime style, doesn't try to force all the compilation into it(I don't mind if they want to expand on certain characters like Zack but no Genesis) and doesn't censor anything.

I'd be fine if they just expanded on what's in the game in some fashion rather than tapping into some of the side stuff like Genesis.

jaxword

Since Genesis is asleep/sealed up during FF7, there's no real need for him to appear.

Though arguably since there's nothing really game-canon about his CC --> DoC activities, he could conceivably be around.

Wazzy

Banned
The more plot "details" are shown about LR's side characters, the more I think the decision to make it a solo character game is hurting it.

Noel is still around! Help solve his newfound issues with Lightning!
We redesigned Snow for the third time! Duke it out with him while playing as Lightning!
We made Hope a kid again for some reason! Watch as he utters cryptic nonsense at Lightning.
Fang is in the game! She's not playable, you use Lightning instead!

XIII-2 was very disappointing but I was hoping that when they concluded the series it would be with all the characters rather than just Lightning. When it was announced we would only be playing as her I decided I wasn't going to buy it.

I want my party of Noel, Fang and Vanille. :(

Since Genesis is asleep/sealed up during FF7, there's no real need for him to appear.

Though arguably since there's nothing really game-canon about his CC --> DoC activities, he could conceivably be around.

We'll just pretend he's sleeping then. I also wouldn't mind someone like Cissnei returning, I really liked her and Zack.

Voror

Indeed, you could probably do it just fine without referencing much from CC. I'd prefer them to keep Zack's death like the original for instance.

Regarding LR, I'm not sure if I'll be angry or simply highly amused if that games ends with Lightning becoming the new Goddess of the world.

I'll take Gackt over Lightning, thanks.

I get that you don't like Lightning...

Genesis_reads_LOVELESS.jpg

But if I hear one more line of that f'ing psuedo poetic nonsense, imma take an axe to my game system. Seriously, what the hell were they huffing when they decided this mother fraker:

Genesis-Rhapsodos-genesis-final-fantasy-7-fan-club-19813340-538-760.jpg

Was a good idea?

Noi

At least Gackt sticks to FFVII-related games and doesn't venture off into places where he doesn't belong.

Voror

Gotta disagree there, CC did one thing amazingly, and that was Zack's last stand.

I don't know, I sort of liked the powerlessness conveyed without any words during the original even if the sprites do look a bit silly. The CC version is good of course, but it's just my preference.

I did forget how CC's ending literally leads right into FF VII. I sometimes do think they are strongly considering it. Maybe they even have plans set aside or something.

jaxword

I don't know, I sort of liked the powerlessness conveyed without any words during the original even if the sprites do look a bit silly. The CC version is good of course, but it's just my preference.

I did forget how CC's ending literally leads right into FF VII. I sometimes do think they are strongly considering it. Maybe they even have plans set aside or something.

The sprites look totally silly and that style wouldn't fly today. Nostalgia and the original feeling is understandable, but yeah...times have changed.

Also, they didn't actually change the original--Zack still gets shot at point blank, we just see it from his POV in CC.

They get FF7 remake requests ALL THE TIME. They've had it in the books for probably a decade now, but they also know they have to do it right, and have said so.

They've "strongly considered it" ever since the Compilation was a twinkle in Nomura's eye.

Natetan

I hope if they remade it that they wouldn't include any of that stuff as it was all difficult to find bonus material in the original. The whole reveal during the tifa cloud lifestream part in mideel wouldn't have the same impact.

If the game looked anything like those pictures up there or was a boring over the shoulder action rpg without any of the splendor of those pretenders backgrounds than I'm not interested.

Wazzy

Banned
Gotta disagree there, CC did one thing amazingly, and that was Zack's last stand.
My biggest problem with Zacks last stand is it's trying too hard to be epic. I prefer the simple death from the original. They didn't need this huge battle and speech to make his death epic. The thousands of soldiers was silly.

I really do think Zack dying immediately would have been a stronger ending.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not hard at all. Getting Lionheart can be kind of a pain, but it's worth it just to steamroll a lot of stuff.

Card Mod is also VERY useful for getting certain items and stuff from Cards you get.

Honestly, like Angry Grimace said, if you have some semblance of how the Junction system works, you can break the game wide open with the stuff it gives you.

I just don't think its worth it beyond personal achievement to get LH on Disc 1. It took me something like 9 hours of played time to do it, but you can just refine/draw spells into Strength and Speed in half that time.

Absolutely make sure you get that 100 Triples for all three guys on Odin though (he has Triple at every level you can encounter him and does not attack). It breaks the game pretty much instantly. Junctioning 100 Triples to speed gives you like three times as many turns (its outrageous if you do this with Auto-Haste; you literally get turns every 1 sec.). Pretty much every attack hits for 9999 if you have Strength levels over 200 or approaching it, which makes the game trivial even on Ultimecia or Omega Weapon.

Voror

The sprites look totally silly and that style wouldn't fly today. Nostalgia and the original feeling is understandable, but yeah...times have changed.

Also, they didn't actually change the original--Zack still gets shot at point blank, we just see it from his POV in CC.

They get FF7 remake requests ALL THE TIME. They've had it in the books for probably a decade now, but they also know they have to do it right, and have said so.

They've "strongly considered it" ever since the Compilation was a twinkle in Nomura's eye.

They do look silly I'll agree. I kind of chuckle at that last part where the little Sprite Cloud lifts his arms into the air holding the sword. I always imagine him screaming "NOOOOOOOO!" when I see it.

I think they are probably aware of how bad it could go if they screwed it up. I almost feel the time is past where they could have pulled it off. To do it now with up to date graphics would be really cool in most places, but the sillier aspects of the game like the whole cross dressing thing might not translate as well. Especially if they look all like they did in AC.

My biggest problem with Zacks last stand is it's trying too hard to be epic. I prefer the simple death from the original. They didn't need this huge battle and speech to make his death epic. The thousands of soldiers was silly.

This sums up my feelings on the matter for the most part. I also found the whole sequence where his friend sort of pulls him into the after life with the J-Pop tune playing to be a bit too much.

On the subject of VII, does that game have any special things concerning leveling up and such like VIII and IX do with their systems involving equipment or getting ultimate weapons super early? I don't recall there being anything like that aside from being able to farm Sources off of specific enemies, but I might easily have missed it when I was younger.

jaxword

No more silly than any other aspect of the game. Cloud takes out a group of soldiers and backflips away onto a speeding train, all cool-like, in the beginning of FF7.

CorvoSol

I'll take Gackt over Lightning, thanks.

I'll take Lightning and getting kicked in the groin three times before I take Genesis again. That shit needs to stay the fuck dead for EVER. If there was one thing that hurt Crisis Core, it was that.

Anyway, in FF9 I am in disc 4 and I am sick to my stomach of this Chocobo Sidequest. I've done the stupid game like a million times in the first area and I am just plain not getting chocographs anymore.

That said, it really is the story in FF9 that makes me love it. The gameplay is clunky, the dungeons are linear as hell, and I can't stand prerendered backgrounds because they lack the perspective and clarity that 3d maps and 2d maps have. But I'll be damned if Zidane and co don't have a good story going, and Zidane and Garnet aren't the best couple in the series.

Cheska

But I'll be damned if Zidane and co don't have a good story going, and Zidane and Garnet aren't the best couple in the series.

Final Fantasy IX is charming as hell and a great game but I'm not a fan of Zidane/Garnet. Yeah, they're a cute couple but I'm a bigger fan of the less conventional Steiner/Beatrix.

In fact, I tend to like the side stories a lot more for some reason. I remember when I was growing up I was much more invested in rooting for Lulu and Wakka than I was in Tidus and Yuna.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy IX is charming as hell and a great game but I'm not a fan of Zidane/Garnet. Yeah, they're a cute couple but I'm a bigger fan of the less conventional Steiner/Beatrix.

In fact, I tend to like the side stories a lot more for some reason. I remember when I was growing up I was much more invested in rooting for Lulu and Wakka than I was in Tidus and Yuna.

Steiner and Beatrix are okay, but they're about as beta as a beta couple can get. Unless you count Vivi x Quina.

Zidane x Garnet is just really nice for me. It doesn't take up a huge chunk of the plot, let alone detract from it (COUGH COUGH SERAH x SNOW), and Zidane and Garnet are characters who develop independently from one another, unlike, say, Cecil and Rosa (where Rosa gets no real development aside from shifting from perfect girlfriend to perfect waifu.)

I just like Zidane and Garnet because their romance wasn't the game's focus, so it managed to be nice without feeling shoved onto the player.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
For the people that played the original game, is there any connection – regarding the lore – between the "Agito" of Type-0 and the "Agito" ("Saviour" in our version) of LR:FFXIII?

For the people that played the original game, is there any connection – regarding the lore – between the "Agito" of Type-0 and the "Agito" ("Saviour" in our version) of LR:FFXIII?

I don't think we'll know for certain until LR comes out. To what extent did "Agito" even get named in Type-0, though? Was it anywhere in the script, or was it just the scrapped title for the game?

Perfo

I don't think we'll know for certain until LR comes out. To what extent did "Agito" even get named in Type-0, though? Was it anywhere in the script, or was it just the scrapped title for the game?

This is all I have:

Agito (アギト, Agito?) is a term from Final Fantasy Type-0. The Agito is a messiah prophesied in ancient mythology to appear at the time of Finis, an apocalyptic calamity. Class Zero are said to be Agito.

Striking similarities.

What bothers me the most is S-E's translation teams changing everytime the jap's original one in favor of something else. Why "God" in FFXIII has been changed to "The Maker", or why "Agito" becomes "The Saviour" while Bhunivelze now is called God. It really bothers me.

CorvoSol

The following is what I understand from having spoken with Magius and others and played through Type-0 several times:

The Agito, in Type-0, is the Saviour of the world, meant to overcome the Cycle imposed by Pulse and Lindzei on Orience. They're meant to show up at the time of Finis. The main cast, Class Zero, are the Agito. Since the world of Orience is caught in this Cycle, it means that Class Zero has failed repeatedly throughout history to prevent Finis and/or open Etro's Gate. Likewise, though, one might assume that Lindzei has failed repeatedly in opening Etro's Gate since the Cycle is on going.

Was Nojima the one who originally wrote the overarching Fabula Nova Crystalis mythos?

If he was, that means that FFXV will likely be the game that most accurately lives up to the Fabula Nova Crystalis thing, since he's writing that one too.

Perfo

The following is what I understand from having spoken with Magius and others and played through Type-0 several times:

The Agito, in Type-0, is the Saviour of the world, meant to overcome the Cycle imposed by Pulse and Lindzei on Orience. They're meant to show up at the time of Finis. The main cast, Class Zero, are the Agito. Since the world of Orience is caught in this Cycle, it means that Class Zero has failed repeatedly throughout history to prevent Finis and/or open Etro's Gate. Likewise, though, one might assume that Lindzei has failed repeatedly in opening Etro's Gate since the Cycle is on going.

Is this a spoiler of Type-0's main story or just background infos from the datalog? Hopefully you didn't spoiler anything significant to me T.T You know... I still hope for an international version one day -.-'

Wazzy

Banned

You know, I feel like I'm the only one who couldn't stand those two. I always thought the game was building up Wakka/Rikku because of Wakka's bigotry towards Al bhed. I think they would have been a more interesting couple/subplot. It was just weird having Lulu go from loving Chappu to loving Wakka.
No more silly than any other aspect of the game. Cloud takes out a group of soldiers and backflips away onto a speeding train, all cool-like, in the beginning of FF7.

Sure, VII also had it's moments of trying to be epic and I think that's fine. My problem is changing a death to become epic. If his original death had been the one in Crisis Core, I wouldn't have complained as much but seeing them go from a simple death to over- dramatic and cheesy was awful.

CorvoSol

Hey, is that dude dead or what? When's he coming back?

Magius was banned before E3. I thought his ban lifted at the start of this month. I'll head over to GameFAQs and ask, though. He's been sorta busy with the translation team, I believe.

Is this a spoiler of Type-0's main story or just background infos from the datalog? Hopefully you didn't spoiler anything significant to me T.T You know... I still hope for an international version one day -.-'

Well define significant. In one sense you could say it is a pretty big deal since it relates in part to the final dungeon. On the other hand there are bigger things than that which I took pains to not share for that reason. I tried my best to answer your question without spoiling the plot, but Agito is kind of a plot-centric term in Type-0.

Noi

I liked the over-dramatic Zack death. The Angeal bit may have been a bit much, but the part before that with
the Digital Mind Wave breaking down as you fight
is one of the most creative integrations of narrative to gameplay I've ever seen. As a huge Zack fanboy, it legit made me cry over a death I completely expected, but was totally unprepared for how they presented it.

That ending seriously made me, the player, want to change the ending even in the face of the inevitable. You best believe I tried to last as long as I could.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Hey, is that dude dead or what? When's he coming back?

I am a Dracolich. Of course I'm already dead.

And I am quite occupied a bit with some cool stuff.

Stupid cool stuff hinting towards unused content and cut content from some lame FF game.

Not worth mentioning.

But I can say this. I have found evidence that Biggs and Wedge(I know this guy does for sure) do exist in said game.

-----------------

If there is any connection to the Agito of Type 0 and the Savior of LR it only bears such a connection within definition alone. What each does is completely different therefore they are the same yet they are not at the same time.

xist

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but is there a technical impossibility preventing the use of an actual RNG for the later games rather than the RNG table that picks a number from a predetermined list and then advances? FFXII seems really weird in regards to what odds chests have of giving out contents and what actually happens.

Wazzy

Banned
I liked the over-dramatic Zack death. The Angeal bit may have been a bit much, but the part before that with
the Digital Mind Wave breaking down as you fight
is one of the most creative integrations of narrative to gameplay I've ever seen. As a huge Zack fanboy, it legit made me cry over a death I completely expected, but was totally unprepared for how they presented it.

That ending seriously made me, the player, want to change the ending even in the face of the inevitable. You best believe I tried to last as long as I could.
I can totally see why someone would enjoy that since I also thought it was very creative, however, what was stopping them from doing something similar with less of the flash? Why not have him be shot by two soldiers and have his last fight be trying to fight against them? You could still implement that narrative to gameplay.

I think if they removed the Angeal part, the cheesy speech to Cloud and..well the entire part of him being alive to tell Cloud what to do, I could have been more accepting of the soldier fight.

It's actually the biggest problem I had with Crisis Core that Zack's role became way more important than it originally was. I love him, he's one of my favourite VII character's but did they really need to make him the reason for say, Aerith wearing pink(I'm almost sure he was a reason she started something else but I'll have to check) or Cloud repeating things he did like falling through the roof of the church or jumping on the train?

Anyway, to end my semi-rant I'll just say, Zack's shorter hair is better than his long hair. :p

jaxword

It's actually the biggest problem I had with Crisis Core that Zack's role became way more important than it originally was. I love him, he's one of my favourite VII character's but did they really need to make him the reason for say, Aerith wearing pink(I'm almost sure he was a reason she started something else but I'll have to check) or Cloud repeating things he did like falling through the roof of the church or jumping on the train?

Certainly makes Aerith's comments about how eerily similar Cloud is to Zack a lot more accurate.

Noi

I can totally see why someone would enjoy that since I also thought it was very creative, however, what was stopping them from doing something similar with less of the flash? Why not have him be shot by two soldiers and have his last fight be trying to fight against them? You could still implement that narrative to gameplay.

I think if they removed the Angeal part, the cheesy speech to Cloud and..well the entire part of him being alive to tell Cloud what to do, I could have been more accepting of the soldier fight.

Anyway, to end my semi-rant I'll just say, Zack's shorter hair is better than his long hair. :p

Personally, I'd find it extremely dissapointing if after raising a Zack that can beat Bizzaro Final Form Gackt and even the Goddess of the Earth to get downed by two dudes that aren't even SOLDIERs. :p I kind of saw it as an apology for that one non-canon animation whose name escapes me where Zack goes out with a wimper instead of like a boss. Dumb snipers.

And yeah, like Jax said, those traits are stuff that FF7 already established as canon. Aeris ends up falling for Cloud partially because of it.

Why was jenovas body at the nibelheim reactor anyway?

Good question.

No one knows.

For some reason they turned the Nibelheim reactor into a Mako test site to experiment with Jenova cells, so the body was there to carry out the experiments with the test subject in close proximity I guess.

Why that reactor in particular? Hell if I know, no other reactor had pods in them.

Wazzy

Banned
Certainly makes Aerith's comments about how eerily similar Cloud is to Zack a lot more accurate.
Maybe. But those comments were always directed at his appearance and actions, not him falling through a roof or the train jump(something she never see's from either) and to me it takes away from Cloud's cool moments in VII.

But even then, Aerith only at first thinks they're similar, she does begin to realize they're both very different.

His eyes and clothing were the main reason she found him similar.
Personally, I'd find it extremely dissapointing if after raising a Zack that can beat Bizzaro Final Form Gackt and even the Goddess of the Earth to get downed by two dudes that aren't even SOLDIERs. :p I kind of saw it as an apology for that one non-canon animation whose name escapes me where Zack goes out with a wimper instead of like a boss. Dumb snipers.

And yeah, like Jax said, those traits are stuff that FF7 already established as canon. Aeris ends up falling for Cloud partially because of it.
Well, I find the whole Gackt stuff horrible anyways so I like to pretend it doesn't exist :p but that's just another point to add to the list of things CC shouldn't have done. But I guess they did have to make a game, even if I disagree with a lot of it.

I believe the animation you're talking about is Last Order which I also agree was terrible. Too many retcons for me to enjoy it. Especially the Tifa being awake when Cloud rescues her.

I don't recall the reason she falls for Cloud being because he's similar to Zack, that was just what initially attracted her to him. It's when she realizes he's completely different that she begins to fall for him.

jaxword

Maybe. But those comments were always directed at his appearance and actions, not him falling through a roof or the train jump(something she never see's from either) and to me it takes away from Cloud's cool moments in VII.

I believe the animation you're talking about is Last Order which I also agree was terrible. Too many retcons for me to enjoy it. Especially the Tifa being awake when Cloud rescues her.

Cloud isn't SUPPOSED to be "cool." That's the whole point of the story. He's faking being a hero and faking acting like what he thinks a cool hero should be, in this case what Zack was like.

Aerith even comments how strange it is that Cloud is acting like Zack yet never knew him. This also plays big time into Tifa's character, since she knows Cloud is lying yet at the same time he's incredibly convincing, especially when Aerith is basically backing it up.

Last Order was basically retconned away by the creators by saying it was Tseng's interpretation of the events based upon a secondhand report from one of the BC turks.

Convenient location for experiments due to ease of access to Mako in the mountains? It's one of the few reactors that large in the world outside of Midgar.

Neat early version of Nibelheim:

OQbe0rd.jpg

CorvoSol

Who knows. Hojo frequented the area and had a laboratory there. Plus the Shin-Ra manor was there. Nibelheim was apparently a fairly important research area for Shin-Ra, but it was also obvious they wanted it kept on the dl.

The real question is why that reactor and the super valuable contents within were not better guarded. Why was there no security there at all? Granted that changes after the Nibelheim incident when the whole town is security, but there it is.

jaxword

Who knows. Hojo frequented the area and had a laboratory there. Plus the Shin-Ra manor was there. Nibelheim was apparently a fairly important research area for Shin-Ra, but it was also obvious they wanted it kept on the dl.

The real question is why that reactor and the super valuable contents within were not better guarded. Why was there no security there at all? Granted that changes after the Nibelheim incident when the whole town is security, but there it is.

Almost as if someone WANTED Sephiroth to find out...

Is anything ever truly properly guarded in a Final Fantasy game?

jaxword

Is anything ever truly properly guarded in a Final Fantasy game?

Actually, yes. FF7 is one of the few FFs that have areas that really ARE unreachable due to there being too many guards to beat. There's at least 2 times in game where you fight unlimited soldiers until you give up.

Actually, yes. FF7 is one of the few FFs that have areas that really ARE unreachable due to there being too many guards to beat. There's at least 2 times in game where you fight unlimited soldiers until you give up.

I don't remember those but it's been awhile since I've played FF7...I guess Shinra just gets stuff done.

Natetan

Well thats what I was thinking, but actually Nibelheim is actually pretty far away from the Mt Nibel reactor. I mean Tifa almost died going out there, the bridge fell apart when sephiroth went out there. Its not like the researchers in Shinra Manor could just pop out and look at those pods.

But maybe that was the point. Even if the monsters got loose, it would be less of a threat on the population. Zack and Cloud were experimented on in the Shinra basement though right? I wonder why they werent out at the reactor pods....

I guess a wizard did it. Hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Top Bottom