• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Labadal

I love most forested areas in the series. They usually also have great music to accompany them. FFVI, FFVII, FFIX and FFXII all have forested areas I could see myself visiting in a dream.

CorvoSol

The thing is EVERY ff game is a shout out to its predecessors. That's why I don't get why people thing ff9 is special in that regard. I played it over a decade ago and didn't find anything really nostalgic about it compared to say ffvii.

My favorite location of the moment is the forgotten Capitol in ff7. Such a cool place and dat music.

But FF9 does it far, far more than other games. The game serves as and was in fact advertised as an homage to the older games. FF9 has locations like Mt. Gulug, Castle Pandemonium, and the elemental Shrines; makes you fight the Four Fiends from FF1, stars a villain named Garland, was advertised as "The Return of the Crystal" even though FF7 and FF8 had crystals, and so on. The plot is about two extraterrestrial brothers, one of whom defends the planet, the other wreaking havoc on it. These brothers have a bald, bearded relative. Ramuh appears at one point in the game, to give council to a troubled young woman with a mysterious relationship to Summoned Monsters. When he does, he tells her a story that is, basically verbatim, part of the plot of FF2.

I mean yes, FF13 has a lot of similar, inverted details from FF3, for instance, and FF12 has a lot in common with the plot of FF2 (and even more with Star Wars), but the entire point of FF9 is to take and make a game out of distilled essence of Final Fantasy 1-5. No other game really does that. They make shout outs, but FF9 runs on the homage.

Natetan

But FF9 does it far, far more than other games. The game serves as and was in fact advertised as an homage to the older games. FF9 has locations like Mt. Gulug, Castle Pandemonium, and the elemental Shrines; makes you fight the Four Fiends from FF1, stars a villain named Garland, was advertised as "The Return of the Crystal" even though FF7 and FF8 had crystals, and so on. The plot is about two extraterrestrial brothers, one of whom defends the planet, the other wreaking havoc on it. These brothers have a bald, bearded relative. Ramuh appears at one point in the game, to give council to a troubled young woman with a mysterious relationship to Summoned Monsters. When he does, he tells her a story that is, basically verbatim, part of the plot of FF2.

I mean yes, FF13 has a lot of similar, inverted details from FF3, for instance, and FF12 has a lot in common with the plot of FF2 (and even more with Star Wars), but the entire point of FF9 is to take and make a game out of distilled essence of Final Fantasy 1-5. No other game really does that. They make shout outs, but FF9 runs on the homage.

While I did miss alot of the references i'm sure because at the time I had only played FF1,4,6,7,8, I thought the FF1 references were hokey. The end game comes totally out of nowhere. Oh suddenly I'm fighting Lich, Kary, Kraken, and Tiamat? I mean every ff game has some trick end boss, but this was beyond that. I still remember watching the end game video having no idea what was going on.

It's one of the few memories I have of the game and its not really a positive one. That and slow battle mechanics and unfitting character models.

I, for one, loved how FF9 didn't go back to tuff dude and/or broody face as a protag. Very nice change of pace coming from Cloud and Squall. And the character models were fine. They fit in perfectly with the world's design.

CorvoSol

While I did miss alot of the references i'm sure because at the time I had only played FF1,4,6,7,8, I thought the FF1 references were hokey. The end game comes totally out of nowhere. Oh suddenly I'm fighting Lich, Kary, Kraken, and Tiamat? I mean every ff game has some trick end boss, but this was beyond that. I still remember watching the end game video having no idea what was going on.

It's one of the few memories I have of the game and its not really a positive one. That and slow battle mechanics and unfitting character models.

The endgame coming out of nowhere is a time honored tradition of this series.

Natetan

I, for one, loved how FF9 didn't go back to tuff dude and/or broody face as a protag. Very nice change of pace coming from Cloud and Squall. And the character models were fine. They fit in perfectly with the world's design.

I dunno, always thought the white wizard and knight looked awesome

ff1_white.gif
ff1_fighter.gif

and the rest

ff1-219.png

Couldnt wait to get the rats tail (remember how that appeared in FFIV. NOSTALGIA) so I could upgrade to the 'cool' guys.

CorvoSol

Real talk: People who thought the White Mage was a boy are scientifically worse than the people who knew that the White Mage was a girl.

Natetan

Real talk: People who thought the White Mage was a boy are scientifically worse than the people who knew that the White Mage was a girl.

It always seemed like a class and a gender change for the WW. Ill let you decide from what gender.

Always thought the BW was bad ass.

ff1_black.gif

CorvoSol

Cheaters never prosper

Really? Cuz I feel like not wasting any more of my life on that horrible minigame and instead proceeding directly to the actual enjoyable part of the quest and reaping all of its benefits without having bang my face against that screen one more time is a hell of a lot of prosperity.

FF9 has a good story, character designs, setting, soundtrack, and so on, but that Chocobo Hot and Cold nonsense is only saved from being the worst Chocobo sidequest in the series because FFX immediately one upped it with its unwinnable race.

CorvoSol

No not really...=P

I didn't have an issue with the chocobo races but I might just be fortunate.

The one in FFX? Where you have to have LESS THAN ZERO SECONDS TO GET THE SEAL?

That's insane good luck. Not even like, I have bad luck. That's just stupid good luck.

YOU HAVE TO SCORE LESS THAN ZERO SECONDS TO WIN.

Natetan

That's insane good luck. Not even like, I have bad luck. That's just stupid good luck.

Lol I don't think I ever beat that thing.

CorvoSol

Lol I don't think I ever beat that thing.

I never bother getting the ultimate weapons in X. The minigames to get them are terrible (dodging lightning bolts, anyone?) and they're unnecessary when you remember that Yuna has Summons that break the game.

Magus Sistahs ftw.

I thought that was the easy one...I usually beat it in less than 30 minutes of trying...

Noi

I did that on my first attempt 2 years ago when replaying the game since it first came out.

Get better scrub

That's not even the worst minigame in FFX, the Macalania Butterflies are way worse.

CorvoSol

I did that on my first attempt 2 years ago when replaying the game since it first came out.

Get better scrub

That's not even the worst minigame in FFX, the Macalania Butterflies are way worse.

Oh yes, GameFAQs. The problem is definitely with me and not with a mini game that REQUIRES YOU TO SCORE LESS THAN ZERO SECONDS. IN SPITE OF ITS SHIT CONTROL SCHEME.

Thank you for offering the ultimate advice on what to do, GameFAQs. I am forever in awe of your amazing ability to pick up this game that was unreasonable and beat it in one single try, GameFAQs. I will never be that cool, GameFAQs. You sure showed me, GameFAQs.

LESS. THAN. ZERO.

Natetan

I usually get aurons weapon and rikkus and I think khimari too. Thing is no one wants those weapons and yunas. The cacatar one in the desert is pretty fun.

I think I got wakkas once and Lulus once. I've never gotten tidus. Stupid butterflies and subzero races.

Ultimate weapons and skills are what make the end game fun like in ffvi ffv Ffiv. I don't know why they made some of those so mind numbing to get.

I must admit, it is pretty fun to have someone normally weak like yuna attack with girly "huh!" And do 99,999 damage.

I almost won the sigil for Lulu...but I got zapped at 190 bolts...=(

I like ultimate weapons...as long as there is something left to use it on. And the final boss doesn't count.

I have never tried that before...I just enjoy seeing the damage sometimes...and it is impossible for me to not level grind at Zanarkand Ruins...

I bet now that I'm older, those races will totally kick my butt once X HD comes out but we'll see. It just still surprises me people struggled with those chocobo races. Now the chocobo raising from FF7? I will never bother with that, I cheated and got a gold chocobo by beating Ruby.

Wazzy

Banned
I bet now that I'm older, those races will totally kick my butt once X HD comes out but we'll see. It just still surprises me people struggled with those chocobo races. Now the chocobo raising from FF7? I will never bother with that, I cheated and got a gold chocobo by beating Ruby.
Really? I struggled deeply with X's mini games but VII's just required a bit of patience. I got my gold Chocobo pretty fast. The Chocobo race for Tidus however...ugh just thinking back makes me angry.

Really? I struggled deeply with X's mini games but VII's just required a bit of patience. I got my gold Chocobo pretty fast. The Chocobo race for Tidus however...ugh just thinking back makes me angry.

Yeah, I tried but I just got bored with them pretty quickly

CorvoSol

But you can literally get a gold chocobo in less than half an hour following a simple and easy to do method. I guess if you were gonna do it the hard way.

FF7's Chocobo racing is still my favorite Chocobo sidequest, although I wish it had included the exploration aspect of FF9's.

Why was Joe never banned from Chocobo Racing for giving Teioh performance enhancing drugs?

Black chocobos cannot be that fast.

They can't.

But you can literally get a gold chocobo in less than half an hour following a simple and easy to do method. I guess if you were gonna do it the hard way.

FF7's Chocobo racing is still my favorite Chocobo sidequest, although I wish it had included the exploration aspect of FF9's.

I guess I did do it the hard way...oh well. I don't plan to really do this method again, fighting Ruby solo, using Dazers to keep him stopped...took waaaaaay too long for my tastes.

CorvoSol

Why was Joe never banned from Chocobo Racing for giving Teioh performance enhancing drugs?

Black chocobos cannot be that fast.

They can't.

The TOP hat increases his TOP speed so he'll always come out on TOP.

I guess I did do it the hard way...oh well. I don't plan to really do this method again, fighting Ruby solo, using Dazers to keep him stopped...took waaaaaay too long for my tastes.

Ruby and Emerald were the reason I quit fighting Superbosses in my playthrough. If I get to XII I'll still do it though. I may not be a HUGE fan of XII's battle system, but I'll be damned if that game isn't crammed with awesome boss fights.

On a related note, I just found out you need to play Chocobo Hot and Cold to get Dead Peppers. BRB off to find cheat codes for that.

I hate the deeper part of those mines, I got attacked by that bloody Disma on my way there but that fight against Gilgamesh was worth it. Only superboss I wasn't fond of was Omega because all that jerk did was hit super hard.

CorvoSol

I hate the deeper part of those mines, I got attacked by that bloody Disma on my way there but that fight against Gilgamesh was worth it. Only superboss I wasn't fond of was Omega because all that jerk did was hit super hard.

Gilgamesh fight is one of the best things in the series, hands down. I played that game for hours and hours just to do that.

Voror

Wasn't the race with Tidus one of ways you had to go to get one of the upgrades for his ultimate weapon? Or was it the weapon itself?

I'm not looking forward to Blizball again. Never cared for it, but I have to get that ultimate weapon.

Top Bottom