• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection |OT|

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is how you do a remake.. Having the original music as an option is great.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Seda said:
-Notes-
-The game is essentially a enhanced port of the EU version of FFIV Advance.
-Included are the dungeon at Mt. Ordeals, and the Lunar Trials in the post-game from FFIV Advance, as well as party swapping.
-The PSP version has all the EU Advance fixes not present in the NA version of FFIV Advance, for example, harps, whips, boomerangs, and bows all do full damage from the back row.
-This also means that the inventory item limit is in place (unlike the DS version). Get to the Fat Chocobo!
-Extra event scenes made for the Nintendo DS remake are not included in the game, nor does this game have the augment system.
Yes, yes, yes. This sounds good to me. FF4A was probably my favourite version of the game, and we get the original SNES music to boot. It's a good thing that this is is releasing around Easter weekend when I have time o--

Canada: April 30th?
Huh? Seriously? Damn it. That's lame. Well... at least it's when exam season ends, also around my birthday (I'm still a tad disappointed).
Edit: Huh, so it is. http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004LLRYOY/ and http://www.gamestop.ca/psp/games/final-fantasy-iv-complete-collection/308496

I'm really hyped for this game, I'm gonna start it after I finish Trails in the Sky. The PSP is in RPG heaven right now.

P.S. April 30th for Canada? Bleh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Clearly they need the extra time to glue the French manual onto the back of already-wrapped game, and then use more plastic to wrap the game + French manual. (Really, I was stunned when I bought Dissidia Duodecim and The 3rd Birthday and the French manual was now glued onto the game's initial wrapping).

More videos, not sure if already posted (from IGN):

FFIVCC Interlude snippet video (no narrative is included, only battles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNSEgsL3iLU

FFIVCC Early Gameplay video (only battles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKW2W1pKSKc

My big issues with this one are that the difficulty is way too easy. After playing the sweet remake on DS, this is ridiculous. You can just mash A to get through it.

And I don't like the sprites. There's just something about them that seems wrong -- especially when compared to every other version of this game. They just take the grittiness and reality of the world away. And no, they never grew on me.

I really hope they do not remake FF VI like this. That would be a massive disappointment. If they remake it, it should be more like FF IV DS.

Susurrus

Won't be picking this up as I already have FF Chronicles, and FF4 DS. Also The After Years for Wii.

That being said, The After Years is a very difficult game, though I thought it was odd that the random encounters were much harder than the boss fights (i.e. random encounters would hand my ass to me but I'd have no problem on boss fights)...wtf?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ScrabbleDude said:
I really hope they do not remake FF VI like this. That would be a massive disappointment. If they remake it, it should be more like FF IV DS.

Maaaybe... :p

I was actually thinking I really liked this approach to remakes. It still preserves the style of the original, while bringing it into high res graphics and sound. I haven't played much of it yet, but I didn't find the high res sprites to be bad at all....

Not sure if I'd appreciate an FFVI of chibi-polygonal characters.. it fit for III, IV and it would fit for V... but VI is enough of a dramatic epic I'd want a realistically proportioned real remake.. say on 3DS or NGP... and that would be a large undertaking for Square.

MightyKAC

Man that pre-order swag looks awesome, but since I know it's pointless for me to get any UMD's with the PSP2 looming near I'll have to pass on it and grab it on PSN instead.

Day fucking one for me as well. FF IV has always been my favorite FF game.

By the way, I also prefer this approach to having new versions of games as opposed to the DS-like remakes. Whenever I played those, it was like I was playing completely different games. Kind of like watching the original Star Wars trilogy with all the Lucas-changes, as opposed to ever really seeing the films as they were originally shown. I guess I'm a bit of a purist.

Wark

Man, my wallet is gonna be killing me on the 19th. This game is definitely a must for me since it's one of my favorite games in the series.

careful

Did they tune the difficulty in this one? I heard they had originally toned down the difficulty of the US SNES version.

I want to play this bad, but I'm not sure where I'll find the 60+ hours to dump into this. :(

Micius

ScrabbleDude said:
My big issues with this one are that the difficulty is way too easy. After playing the sweet remake on DS, this is ridiculous. You can just mash A to get through it.

That's what I was worried about. Guess I'm sticking to the DS version for now then. I heard The After Years being compared to bad fan fiction so I guess I'm not really missing much there either.

Sagitario

Mmmm... FFIV DS has been part of my backlog for such a long time.
I don't know why but I find it more appealing than the PSP screens.

Should I get FFIV PSP and play that or use the DS version as my first FF experience?

Grzi

Looks cute.
But I prefer the look of the DS remake. I thought it was great (loved the 3D character designs), so I'll consider that the definitive version of this game for me.

Jeels

Just ordered with free release date delivery. :) First RPG purchase of the year. I love the sprite style (loved it in FF1 anniversary as well). SO HYPED.

Sagitario said:
Mmmm... FFIV DS has been part of my backlog for such a long time.
I don't know why but I find it more appealing than the PSP screens.

Should I get FFIV PSP and play that or use the DS version as my first FF experience?
Get this, then play FFIV DS after you're done. FFIV DS can be pretty damn brutal so get this to ease you into it.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Have they retranslated the game since the GBA release? I only ever played the DS game in Japanese so I don't know if they used the GBA script or redid it again. I ask because on the website for this release it says "Play the game in the original Japanese, an updated English translation or French!". Got me thinking it would be crazy if they retranslated it for the DS release and then did it AGAIN for this one.

I went back and played a bit of the DS game and remembered that I actually did play some of it in English and it did indeed include a brand new English script (which I thought was the best one yet). So did they go and completely retranslate FF4 again here or did they simply reuse/tweak the DS script? Also, does TAY use the same script as the Wii version or is that changed at all?

ronito

The cheapo inside of me is like "$30?"
I'll have to mull this over. But I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

Yaweee

TheJollyCorner said:
I randomly asked this in another thread, but does The After Years have new songs or does it just rehash the FFIV OST?

There are some new songs (and dungeons), but most of both are just rehashed.

Picking up my physical copy of the game at GS after work. Mostly picking up for the extras, Interlude and After Years (have that on my Wii as well).

Skipping out on the actual FFIV game as I can't play it anymore after playing the DS version - augments and the higher difficulty made the game perfect for me.

Digital copy will be bought soon enough as well.

LowParry

I got stuff to trade in but I want a digital copy so when the NGP comes out, I can get my PSP games playing there. Unless there's some trick about physical copies that allows me to get the digital version as well?

Neil

Well, mine arrived today from ShopTo.

Won't get a chance to play til the long weekend though... Very excited to get stuck into this game again!

CcrooK said:
I got stuff to trade in but I want a digital copy so when the NGP comes out, I can get my PSP games playing there. Unless there's some trick about physical copies that allows me to get the digital version as well?

Not that I know of. I'll probably buy some PSN cards to pay for the digital version. I still need to pick up the PSN version of 3rd Birthday too so I'll pick both up together.

DonMigs85

bengraven said:
Wayyyy too many re-releases for FFIV.

They're acting like it's better than VI.

Blasphemy.
Indeed!
I like to think they're preparing something really special for FFVI.

Magnus

bengraven said:

Blasphemy.
Seriously! :(

Holding out hope something special is being planned for VI. And V too! Though I'd be happy if both got just this kind of treatment (hi-res gorgeousness that incorporates the script changes and additions in the GBA/DS games, without Downgrading the audio to whatever crap comes out of Nintendo's portable speakers).

Jeels

I like the little cards that come with it.

The CGi intros for both games are nice too.

Also, I haven't started playing, but the old style sprites and music on the data install screen make me smile.

Solune

Gunloc said:
I'm really hyped for this game, I'm gonna start it after I finish Trails in the Sky. The PSP is in RPG heaven right now.

P.S. April 30th for Canada? Bleh.
This. Went to EB expecting something to have come in, then all of a sudden 30th. What the hell. It doesn't make sense considering Dissidia and 3rd Birthday were all on time and then the one game I want is late. Again. Fuck.

Big One

Banned
B.K. said:
Because it is. VI is good, but it's highly overrated. It's as overrated as VII.
No not really. I mean, on the internet? Sure. Combine the internet hype with real life hype? FFVI barely touches FFVII, FFVIII, or FFX.

ronito

bengraven said:

Blasphemy.
I don't think they believe that for a second. I think they work so much on FFIV because it's modern enough to be able to stand up today (unlike FFIII) but small/simple enough to remake relatively quickly. V or VI would be a much bigger undertaking (especially VI).

B.K. said:
It's as overrated as VII.

I wouldn't say that. You can have your opinions about the quality of each title, but that's like saying that A New Hope is more overrated than Empire Strikes Back... they're both good but ESB is the fan-favorite and considered the best installment. I'd say the same about the FF fanbase and VII. Personally I think VII is vastly overrated, not because of its quality but how much attention and praise it gets.

I suppose in some ways VI is the favorite of the "old school" FF fans but I would say that if Square were to ask people which title they would want a remake to, VII would run away with the votes.

Alex

Calcaneus said:
Wait, too clean looking makes it look cheap?

Don't forget high frame rates! When you're used to eating shit, roast beef is frightening and confusing, I suppose.

Top Bottom