• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection |OT|

Solune said:
This. Went to EB expecting something to have come in, then all of a sudden 30th. What the hell. It doesn't make sense considering Dissidia and 3rd Birthday were all on time and then the one game I want is late. Again. Fuck.

Available on PSN right now though. Strangely enough I don't think I saw a tax charge either?

aerofx said:
was FF 3 (VI) ever remade?
I always wondered why Square-Enix never remade FFVI in any shape or form while FFIV got so much love.

I'd love to see a FFVI remake like this with redone sprites.

With that said, this FFIV release is great! Although I thought it was $19.99 at first since it was listed at Gamestop for that price.

Barrett2

Played the DS remake a few years ago, loved it, but gave up once I got to that castle place, I think, because I was dying non-stop.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Crazymoogle said:
Available on PSN right now though. Strangely enough I don't think I saw a tax charge either?
Off-topic, but I noticed this too last week. What's up with that?

I would also grab it off PSN, but I want the cards and Dissidia costume. So... I guess I have to wait an extra week.

Does anyone know how big it is, and how long the install is?

So no Best Buy near me has this game. Yet they have all other recent square games. Whats up with that? It's not even on their site. Though I guess they also did'nt sell Tactics Orge in store as well.

In the states by the way. Apparently, there's a delay in Canada.

MechaX

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I always wondered why Square-Enix never remade FFVI in any shape or form while FFIV got so much love.

Most likely because it's the "first" of the SNES FF titles and is the natural starting point. I'd imagine the game plan on paper was essentially to do them in order like the GBA ports. Unfortunately, IV benefits from being the first shot while V and VI get left in the dust when things like DS Remakes don't really pan through for whatever reason. Sales wise, I don't know about the GBA ports, but I don't think IV DS sold as well as III DS either.

I would get this since I wasn't a huge fan of the DS Remake. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I have played through IV no less than 5 times through my entire life, which is pretty damn hefty for an RPG in my eyes. And I'm not really all that excited about The After Years.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

I'd love to see a FFVI remake like this with redone sprites.

With that said, this FFIV release is great! Although I thought it was $19.99 at first since it was listed at Gamestop for that price.

A few things: 1) FFIV was the most feasible one for Wonderswan Color, so it got the treatment first, not to mention TOSE's dirty port over of said version to GBA, 2) it came next in line on the DS after FF3 for remakes, and 3) this marks the game's 20th anniversary.

cartman414 said:
A few things: 1) FFIV was the most feasible one for Wonderswan Color, so it got the treatment first, not to mention TOSE's dirty port over of said version to GBA, 2) it came next in line on the DS after FF3 for remakes, and 3) this marks the game's 20th anniversary.
That's right, it's the 20th anniversary.

I just hope SE gives a similar treatment to FFVI with the 3DS or NGP.

Big One

Banned
FFIV is more popular than FFVI for the most part. FFVI, in Japan, isn't as popular as most of the other Final Fantasy games. Pretty much popularity and importance in rank can be correlated pretty well with the recent cast of Dissidia 012. I hate to say that but it's true tbh.

Big One said:
FFIV is more popular than FFVI for the most part. FFVI, in Japan, isn't as popular as most of the other Final Fantasy games. Pretty much popularity and importance in rank can be correlated pretty well with the recent cast of Dissidia 012. I hate to say that but it's true tbh.
Really?

I always had the perception that FFVI was the crown jewel of Final Fantasy and more beloved than IV, although I know FFIV took the series to where it is today with a more story-driven game.

Big One said:
It's not as popular as IV in Japan, but more popular outside of Japan. It kinda evens out :p

Solune

Crazymoogle said:
Interesting, no tax is good, hopefully there isn't when I purchase Arcana Heart 3! Will be waiting for UMD though.

Solune said:
Interesting, no tax is good, hopefully there isn't when I purchase Arcana Heart 3! Will be waiting for UMD though.

I feel for you guys sticking to the physical disc format, but getting the game early and without tax is pretty hard to beat! :)

MechaX

Big One said:
Pretty much popularity and importance in rank can be correlated pretty well with the recent cast of Dissidia 012.

FFIV's cast case was more due to how Nomura always liked Kain and wanted to put him in Dissidia from the very beginning more than responding to popularity.

Ondore

I seem to recall a recent Famitsu top 100 list that didn't include FFVI, but that's Famitsu's readership so read into it what you will.

I don't even own a PSP - I'd have to borrow my roommate's - and yet I'm tempted to straight-across trade New Super Mario Wii for this when it hits in Canada. For the love of god, somebody stop me.

Link Man

Banned
It's too bad that there's no difficulty selection. I've only ever played the hard version (Chronicles, Advance and DS) so experiencing the toned-down version is a bit disappointing.

That said, everything is so fast. It's great, really.

Why is the internet all of a sudden hating on the DS version now?

I remember loving that game. It was a prime example how a remake should be done. Sure the Augment system kinda sucked and the framerate was a bit iffy. But the difficulty was just right and the cutscenes were done remarkably well.

Based off what I read and played, the psp version is pretty much the gba game with all the bugs and the shitty FF1-2 psp remake graphics (making better sprites without adding more animation frames makes the game look worst) and the poorly done After Years part.

Apparently an argument why ffIV ds sucks is because the logo is different...

Tabris

Hmmm. Do I trade in FFIV DS for this or just keep with FFIV DS? I hated the look of that game but I did like the voice acting (brief) and additional scenes. Does FFIV PSP have those additional scenes (
namely the Golbez ones near the end of the game?
). I also liked the augment system.

Tabris said:
Hmmm. Do I trade in FFIV DS for this or just keep with FFIV DS? I hated the look of that game but I did like the voice acting (brief) and additional scenes. Does FFIV PSP have those additional scenes (

psp version doesn't have the extra scenes.

And I liked the 3d visuals for some reason.

They look much better than the ugly art they used for the psp remake.

Tabris

chickdigger802 said:

I vehemently disagree on the visuals. Early 3D look vs High Detailed Sprite Look, Sprites will win every time. 3D only looks good nowadays when it can be done PS2-era and up visuals (or late PSX).

It's like how FFVI looks better than more than half of FFVII.

Chemo

chickdigger802 said:

Wow, what

Tabris said:
I vehemently disagree on the visuals. Early 3D look vs High Detailed Sprite Look, Sprites will win every time. 3D only looks good nowadays when it can be done PS2-era and up visuals (or late PSX).

It's like how FFVI looks better than more than half of FFVII.

I'd usually agree, but if the high detail sprites didn't have high detail animation, it makes it look much worst imo.

If they gave the characters full swing animations and walk animations, I'd appreciate the visuals a lot more.

Teknoman

Tabris said:

Keep the DS version and buy the PSP version later.

Jeels

Only a few hours in but damn is this addicting. Old school game play for the win.

Also the load times are nonexistant, when you set the battle speed up, battles fly by.

btkadams

chickdigger802 said:

really? i think the sprites looks awesome. when my psp go comes in the mail this is the first game i'm downloading.

Jeels said:
Only a few hours in but damn is this addicting. Old school game play for the win.

Also the load times are nonexistant, when you set the battle speed up, battles fly by.
great to hear! can't wait.

fates

Awww yeah. My copy is in the mail.

Looking forward to playing After Years. Some of the plot elements might be a bit screwy (
Kain and Porom a couple? That came out of nowhere.
), but it's just downright fun to play.

Tabris said:
I have the DS version and I'm definitely keeping it. If you're thinking about trading it into Gamestop, I say keep it since you'll probably get nothing for it, maybe like $5-7 at the most, which is not worth it.

I'm going to pick up this PSP version, but probably later on. I initially thought it was $19.99 but the price was changed on Gamestop's website to the current price.

I know Square-Enix usually charges more for their games, but seeing how Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, 3rd Birthday, and Dissidia 2 is $29.99, FFIV is kind of a hard sell for me because I already played the game so many times and it's just an enhanced port of a port!

$19.99 would've been a great price. I wish SE didn't change it. :(

chickdigger802 said:

Completely agree. These sprites look terrible. It's a shame they create art that actually suited the game.

And since the gameplay is more important than the art direction, it's really a shame that this game is so easy. You can crank the battle speed up and fly through the battles, but why bother?

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I have the DS version and I'm definitely keeping it. If you're thinking about trading it into Gamestop, I say keep it since you'll probably get nothing for it, maybe like $5-7 at the most, which is not worth it.

I'm going to pick up this PSP version, but probably later on. I initially thought it was $19.99 but the price was changed on Gamestop's website to the current price.

I know Square-Enix usually charges more for their games, but seeing how Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, 3rd Birthday, and Dissidia 2 is $29.99, FFIV is kind of a hard sell for me because I already played the game so many times and it's just an enhanced port of a port!

$19.99 would've been a great price. I wish SE didn't change it. :(

wasn't the ff4 ds game like $40 at launch?

Calcaneus

I wish they would make these games playable on both types of PSN, but anyways, should I get the DS version of this? My psp is fucked and I've never actually played FFIV.

cj_iwakura

Calcaneus said:
I wish they would make these games playable on both types of PSN, but anyways, should I get the DS version of this? My psp is fucked and I've never actually played FFIV.

God no. The DS version is ugly as sin. Get this however you can. This is the best version, easily.

Or the virtual console/GBA version of IV.

Calcaneus

cj_iwakura said:
God no. The DS version is ugly as sin. Get this however you can. This is the best version, easily.

Or the virtual console/GBA version of IV.
Well, that's not gonna happen until I get a NGP because I'm definitely not buying another PSP this close to release.

Teknoman

Eh both versions have their charms (I have a thing for N64/PS1 detailed 3D models). Only version where every accurately looks like Amano art.

The PSP version's arranged soundtrack is just the DS version right? Havent played with the SNES soundtrack in awhile...pretty high quality sounding?

Jigsaw

Banned
Calcaneus said:

personally i can't stand the chibi character models with their giant heads,it works in 2d games but in 3d it just looks terrible

graphics and framerate are pretty bad too

if you want to enjoy the stories get it for psp

Bizzyb

Banned
Teknoman said:
Keep the DS version and buy the PSP version later.

Eh, I really don't see a reason to get the PSP version if you've already played the DS version unless you are just a HUGE FFIV fan.

Wasn't there even some kind of cool messaging system for the DS version where moogles would send your friends a message and you'd get items or perks? Also they whole whyte pet monster whose face you could draw in was a pretty neat idea.

Point is the extras and features of the DS version give it more value imo.

Bizzyb said:
Eh, I really don't see a reason to get the PSP version if you've already played the DS version unless you are just a HUGE FFIV fan.

Wasn't there even some kind of cool messaging system for the DS version where moogles would send your friends a message and you'd get items or perks? Also they whole whyte pet monster whose face you could draw in was a pretty neat idea.

The DS version is basically an entirely different game to me. And the PSP has extras, just a different set.

Even though I like FFIV DS, it would be the last version I'd suggest for someone trying to get the true FFIV experience. There is something about this game that I don't think can be adequately expressed in anything but a 2D format.

Silh

Calcaneus said:
Depends on what difficulty you'd prefer to play with. The DS remake is harder.

I bought FFIV CC mostly for Interlude and After Years. FFIV is too fresh in my mind right now to play through again.

Jeels

Bizzyb said:

Except that the PSP version has a second game tacked on. If you want to talk extra content, FFIV Complete has the DS version beat.

Teknoman

Bizzyb said:

Guess i'm biased then :p

Whats funny is over the years i've gone through the SNES, GBA, PS1, DS, and soon the PSP version and i'm still not bored of the universe. Imo still at the top as far as FF soundtracks go too.

Silh

Link1110 said:
Just finished the Interlude with a grand total time of 2:21. 15 hours my ass.
Really? Disappointed.

I'm still waiting for UPS to get here with my copy. They've been terrible with my release day deliveries lately.

Speaking of which, anyone else play After Years on wii or psp?

I couldn't have been the only person disappointed with that.

Easily the most half ass game with the Final Fantasy label on it (or at least tied with that ff7 ps2 shooter).

It's like no one play tested it. Some parts are stupidly easy, some parts require a fair bit of grinding. And the ending of ff4 was so tight, I don't get why After years wasn't just a 10-15min long in game cutscene epilogue.

Is the interlude any good? Is there even any gameplay?

Top Bottom