• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection |OT|

cj_iwakura said:
God no. The DS version is ugly as sin. Get this however you can. This is the best version, easily.

Or the virtual console/GBA version of IV.
The DS version has a different translation, extra scenes, more features, and a better level of difficulty. In terms of FF IV, I'd saw it's superior.

Jomjom

Banned
ScrabbleDude said:
The DS version has a different translation, extra scenes, more features, and a better level of difficulty. In terms of FF IV, I'd saw it's superior.

Sorry but if you grew up playing the SNES FFIV the DS version is an abomination. This PSP version is not exactly like the SNES version but it is about a million times better than the DS one.

Aeana

The DS version and other versions are completely different from each other and should essentially be treated as entirely separate games.

jling84 said:
Sorry but if you grew up playing the SNES FFIV the DS version is an abomination. This PSP version is not exactly like the SNES version but it is about a million times better than the DS one.
It's pretty unfair to make such a generalization. I played the original when it was brand new and I prefer the DS version by far, and I know I'm not alone. It is much more challenging and all around more interesting to play for me. Not that I would begrudge others for preferring the other versions, because as I said above, they are very different and people like different things.

Teknoman

jling84 said:

Well I wouldnt say that...

btkadams

to be honest, i prefer easier games these days since i have less time to game. BUT the story/gameplay still needs to be interesting otherwise an easy game can get boring.

Tabris

I actually found FFIV DS pretty easy if you had the right augments set up. That game would have been challenging without augments. I bet the people who found it challenging fucked up augment selections (like not putting Counter on Cecil right away) or didn't know how to get the "extra 2" augments from old party members.

Jomjom

Banned
Aeana said:
The DS version and other versions are completely different from each other and should essentially be treated as entirely separate games.

It's pretty unfair to make such a generalization. I played the original when it was brand new and I prefer the DS version by far, and I know I'm not alone. It is much more challenging and all around more interesting to play for me. Not that I would begrudge others for preferring the other versions, because as I said above, they are very different and people like different things.

I didn't word that really quite right, of course that is all in my opinion. I'm not trying to make it sound as if no one whose first experience with FFIV was on SNES would dislike the DS version.

To me the DS version had no heart. There's no arguing the difficulty difference, but either way both versions were pretty easy to me. With the move to 3D, the game felt completely soulless to me. The characters lost a lot of their, well, character.

Aeana

Tabris said:
I actually found FFIV DS pretty easy if you had the right augments set up. That game would have been challenging without augments. I bet the people who found it challenging fucked up augment selections (like not putting Counter on Cecil right away) or didn't know how to get the "extra 2" augments from old party members.
When I played it, it had just come out in Japan and that information wasn't widely available. That said, I did figure it all out a little after Palom/Porom leave, and took heavy advantage of it for the rest of the game. I think you shouldn't mistake "challenging" for "too hard." FF4 DS definitely more challenging than the original FF4, in a very good way.

Oyashiro

Played the DS one and it took me forever to beat because it was so damn difficult. I think I'll skip this. Hope they do this for either V/VI, though.

jling84 said:
I didn't word that really quite right, of course that is all in my opinion. I'm not trying to make it sound as if no one whose first experience with FFIV was on SNES would dislike the DS version.

To me the DS version had no heart. There's no arguing the difficulty difference, but either way both versions were pretty easy to me. With the move to 3D, the game felt completely soulless to me. The characters lost a lot of their, well, character.

Really? For me it gave it more character. You'd think characters that are actually moving + better script + camera work during cutscenes would do something.

Sure they are 'kiddie', but it only took me an hour or so to get used to it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Was all set to buy this based on the OP, but all the insipid difficulty posts immediately shut that shit down.

What the flying fuck Square? I'm here to play an RPG, not a goddamn walking tour of improved art assets.

Oyashiro said:
Played the DS one and it took me forever to beat because it was so damn difficult. I think I'll skip this. Hope they do this for either V/VI, though.

This is based on the other versions.

now for a almost random question.

Was the ffVI gba version better than the snes version?

Sure the gba version has all the little new stuff and a better script, but I heard the sound took a bit hit because of gba limitations.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is this version of FFIV easier than the one on the PS1?

I'm glad I'm not the only one with complaints. This PSP version is boring as shit...waaay too easy. I don't care for the sprites either....though the hand drawings are amazing. I especially love Rydia's and Paladin Cecil's....Golbez is kinda terrible.

I really disliked the DS version at first, which was a shame because I thought the paladin scene on Mt. Ordeals was done amazingly well in it. The added scenes towards the end were great also. Then I play this PSP version, and I disliked it so much I actually put it down and started a new game on the DS one. I think I'll stick with either the SNES version or the DS version. This version doesn't even register as the same game I used to love.

ULTROS! said:
Is this version of FFIV easier than the one on the PS1?

Yes. By a lot. That isn't to say the PS1 version was extremely difficult. It's just that this one is so ridiculously easy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
chickdigger802 said:
now for a almost random question.

Was the ffVI gba version better than the snes version?

Sure the gba version has all the little new stuff and a better script, but I heard the sound took a bit hit because of gba limitations.
That's an entirely subjective question. Here is a thread that discusses some of the issues: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400324. It has a nice pic of the saturation in the GBA version. I personally prefer the SNES version. BUT. Both have their merits, imo.

The GBA item/enemy translations are superior to that of the SNES version, and it has a more coherent script. I liked a few lines of the SNES script over that of the GBA version ("hate hate hate", "son of a submariner" and a few of the Ultros lines), however. The
Opera/Grand Finale
scene benefitted in the GBA version, but the
Celes prisoner
scene did not.

The bugs from the SNES version were fixed in the GBA version, but I thought Vanish/X-Zone bug was supposed to be like that originally. Evasion bug was also fixed, which was nice.

Some of the GBA music was messed, though. That... was something I didn't appreciate. I really liked FF6's soundtrack a lot (and it's one of the reasons why I love the game so much), so it was disappointing hearing a few of my favourite tracks like Serpent's Trench get messed up like that.

Vincent Alexander said:
Yes. By a lot. That isn't to say the PS1 version was extremely difficult. It's just that this one is so ridiculously easy.
Whoa, so FF4 PSP is basically FF4 EasyType? How disappointing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm ok with easy though because I'm drained from the
Moon world because it's very difficult.

Dark Schala said:
Whoa, so FF4 PSP is basically FF4 EasyType? How disappointing.
I beat the first archfiend on Mt. Ordeals in under a minute. I'd say about 40 seconds (final form). He'd struck my guys twice...maybe three times. Most of the bosses have been this way (and I have battle set to Active and not Wait).

I had no idea this was out already. I'll probably get this and skip straight to The After Years. I already played IV as a kid and don't want to taint or confuse my memory of that. Good times.

So if IV is easy type, is After Years just as easy?

Dark Octave said:
I had no idea this was out already. I'll probably get this and skip straight to The After Years. I already played IV as a kid and don't want to taint or confuse my memory of that. Good times.

I haven't touched After Years yet. However, there is an extra chapter simply called "Interlude" that connects IV to After Years. It isn't too hard, but it is more story based and will probably be quite short. I just started it an hour ago, and I'm actually enjoying it. Nothing amazing, but so far entertaining.

Neo Child

Banned
I've never really played FFIV minus the DS release (and some of the GBA one), which is a million times harder.

In contrast this version is ridiculously easy. Not that I'm complaining too much it just means I can basically whizz through everything with AutoBattle, have only had to manually choose attacks when I got to the Bomb Boss Battle when you get the Ninja guy.

The battles, texts, events come and go very fast and everything seems to just move very quickly. Love the graphics so far though, very clean.

squall211

The gametrailers review said that the difficulty of the first half of the game was toned down, so does that mean the second half is actually challenging?

Anyway, I picked this up on PSN last night. Every time I load up FFIV I'm a 14-15 year old kid again. It's great.

Lothars

B.K. said:
Because it is. VI is good, but it's highly overrated. It's as overrated as VII.

Your crazy, VI is the best final fantasy by far, IV is a good game but it's doesn't even touch VI, I can't wait to play this though. it looks like it's an awesome version of the IV.

DiscoJer

I just don't get people playing JRPGs for the difficult combat. You pick stuff from menus. It's not difficult, it's a matter of stats and grinding them up (which isn't fun).

demigod

squall211 said:
The gametrailers review said that the difficulty of the first half of the game was toned down, so does that mean the second half is actually challenging?

It means they didn't finish the game, lol.

Man, why isn't there a special edition for this in USA!!! Would the EUR version work with USA PSP? Any idea where I can buy it at?

Oh and FFVI is still the best FF.

fionel

Dark Octave said:

Fortunately After Years mostly retains its difficulty from the Wii/mobile version. (somewhat b/c I got my mythril nuts/bolts in like 2 battles) It's challenging and fun but with WAY too many repeated dungeons and random encounters. Still I love how most of the stories have their own little gimmicks and how you can have over 20+ characters to choose from in the end and use them in fairly big last dungeon. The bands in the game are also a lot of fun when you know the background/connections between characters.

Zwei

demigod said:
Man, why isn't there a special edition for this in USA!!! Would the EUR version work with USA PSP? Any idea where I can buy it at?

In case you haven't noticed, Square Enix has done these special editions with every PSP release in Europe, while neglecting NA. It's nothing new.

As for where you can import this from: Zavvi, CD WOW, GAME uk, among others.

Edit- And yeah, the PSP is region-free, so you can play EUR games.

Vincent Alexander said:
You've got to be kidding me.... this is FFI/II GBA all over again isn't it? :(
I think I'll pass (though I really wanna try The After Years).

DiscoJer said:
I just don't get people playing JRPGs for the difficult combat. You pick stuff from menus. It's not difficult, it's a matter of stats and grinding them up (which isn't fun).
Nah. Grinding is tedious, but the truly well balanced RPGs (like Dragon Quest for example) NEVER require grinding to beat. Grinding is the easy way out in most good, challenging RPGs.

I ordered my copy from Amazon earlier today, and it's already shipped and should be here friday. And that's with free shipping. Wonder why it's so fast this time.

MechaX

DiscoJer said:

Grinding is either an easy way out or a means to an end for really poorly balanced RPGs.

Difficulty does matter when it comes to games that reward you for playing well (Megami Tensei series) or games where it how well you play does matter (Action RPGs like the tri-Ace/Tales titles).

Macstorm

If you played Final Fantasy IV Advance for GBA, you know exactly what to expect out of the main game here. It's got a bit of a script update and is pretty, but it's the same content right down to the bonus dungeons. I didn't play The After Years on Wii, but I doubt that's changed much either.

And yes, I'll confirm what the other poster said above. The interlude is indeed only two hours.

Since SE will never stop remaking this game (and I will never stop buying it when they do) I hold on to hope that someday they'll finally do something with this tantalizing secret door that I guess they cut out way back in he day. It's even in the After Years!

v9LUr.gif

I always figured it was where Golbez was hanging out. I love the little touch of there only being 7 crystals, even though you can never get back far enough to see. Was there going to be more to the tower? Perhaps one day we will finally know.

Ondore

Magicpaint said:
I think I'll pass (though I really wanna try The After Years).

If it's any consolation (and assuming you're in the US), After Years is cheaper than it would be on WiiWare for all the episodes and it's portable. If you wait for a price drop you should be OK.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Did they fix the encounter rate in The After Years at least?

I thought The After Years was garbage (played through the whole thing too :p) - repetitive content, tons of backtracking, insanely high encounter rate, and a 3rd-grade-fanfic level plot. But it's nice to have everything in one place, have to play that Interlude game too. FF4 was my fave game as a kid.

Link1110

HisshouBuraiKen said:
I always figured it was where Golbez was hanging out. I love the little touch of there only being 7 crystals, even though you can never get back far enough to see. Was there going to be more to the tower? Perhaps one day we will finally know.
You just answered one of my questions about the game

OK, so there are 18 crystals, the 4 overworld ones, the 4 underworld ones, the one on the Big Whale, the 8 on the moon and
the one Golbez uses to turn Zeromus into his true form.

Apparently the spoilered ones is just one of the 8 that were in the Tower of Bab-il and
Golbez
took it with him before he left.

Teknoman

VI isnt overrated imo, but IV is pretty awesome. Maybe i'm biased since it was the first Final Fantasy game I ever played, and that was back in elementary when RPGs were like some family event (think watching an interactive movie) after everyone experience FFIV...but it does have the best end dungeon theme in the series so far, and you get to go to the moon. Thats gotta count for something.

squall211 said:

Anyway, I picked this up on PSN last night. Every time I load up FFIV I'm a 14-15 year old kid again. It's great.

from what i have played so far they're right. back in the day Cagnazzo would send 5+ tidal waves at the party but in this one he managed to get just one off before i beat him, super easy. beat Rubicant recently and he seemed more like the original, longest fight so far.

anyone know if there is a newgame+ ?

So far the battles have been pretty easy. Just beat Octomammoth, and it was quite easy. But the spell effects, and battle graphics are really nice so far. I really like the way the enemies just fall apart like burning paper, and the shatter effect when entering a boss fight is pretty cool as well. I just hope the challenge ramps up a little bit, because FF IV DS is my favorite version of FF IV because of its revamped battle system and overall challenge (and no its not an abomination). Its still worth it to see one of my favorite games of all time with a new set of paint though.

Also just noticed from this thread that the GBA content was in the game. Seeing as I never really played the GBA version I am kind of looking forward to the extra stuff. The amount of content in this game should keep me busy for quite a while.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game looks really nice. A lot of attention to detail and added bonuses for fans. With that said:

Final Fantasy V and VI HD Remix is going to be awesome. Square must have those games in the pipelines, and I'm sure when they are are eventually released on 3DS or NGP that they are going to be HYPE.

Link1110

Started After Years, Theodore's chapter seems to end before the walkthrough says it should, and there's no Kain's chapter in the selection screen. Umm... what?

Yaweee

Link1110 said:
Started After Years, Theodore's chapter seems to end before the walkthrough says it should, and there's no Kain's chapter in the selection screen. Umm... what?

Are you following a cellphone walkthrough or a Wii walkthrough? They rearranged and combined the chapters differently.

bubnbob

Banned
The game is pretty cake up until you hit the
moon
, or just about, then you start finding your legs bent backwards and pants at your ankles.

Also having the battle speed at max can affect difficulty, since it also affects how fast enemies hit/cast spells.

Link1110 said:
You just answered one of my questions about the game

OK, so there are 18 crystals, the 4 overworld ones, the 4 underworld ones, the one on the Big Whale, the 8 on the moon and
the one Golbez uses to turn Zeromus into his true form.

Apparently the spoilered ones is just one of the 8 that were in the Tower of Bab-il and
Golbez
took it with him before he left.

Uhh nope, the missing one is the one in the Sealed Cave that he hadn't obtained yet.

Pretty disappointed to hear the difficulty sucks and the DS version is an obama-nation?! Really? After the all the battle bugs and cracked out bonus dungeons in FFIVA I thought the DS version was really well done.

jling84 said:
I couldn't disagree more strongly. I did grow up playing FF IV on SNES. It was my first RPG and has a special place in my heart. It doesn't change the fact that the DS version is far superior to the PSP version.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
MechaX said:
Grinding is either an easy way out or a means to an end for really poorly balanced RPGs.

Difficulty does matter when it comes to games that reward you for playing well (Megami Tensei series) or games where it how well you play does matter (Action RPGs like the tri-Ace/Tales titles).
Yup. I like difficulty for this reason--I've been playing a lot of SMT and Tales games with higher difficulty settings, so that's why I asked. I liked FF4 DS purely because of the difficulty and the augment system (but I liked all of the versions of FF4 for different reasons; game has a special place deep in my heart despite not being my favourite).

Out of curiosity, does The After Years still retain the post-chapter dungeons (since they are apparently arranged differently), or are they completely gone? Also, how is the encounter rate?

Top Bottom