• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection |OT|

Yeah, I was going to go into the Lunar Ruins and try to find an enemy to steal sirens from because I only have a couple right now.

Edit: Thanks for the help hikarutilmitt. I found a Seeker and stole a ton of Sirens then went hunting and found all the ones I needed. These were some of the harder ones / last ones I got:
#100 - Lamia Matriarch = Super Rare Encounter on the Tower of Babil Floor of Rememberance after Rosa's trial and before Edge's.
#108 - Mythril Golem = Rare Encounter on the Tower of Babil Floor of Rememberance after Rosa's trial and before Edge's.
#127 - Yellow Dragon = Siren in the first few areas of the Cave of Trials
#144 - Clockwork Dragon = Found a bunch of times throughout the Lunar Ruins as I replayed it a bunch of times.
#176 - Malboro Menace = Siren on any of the Lunar Ruins floors between Cid and the Twin's trials.
#195 - Bandit = Robber you can fight in one of Cecil's trial scenarios.
Now the only ones I don't have are 23 - General and 213 - Doctor which are both missable enemies in boss fights.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ok, I'm a bit annoyed. I just realized you're not to save on top of each save files in TAY. I lost my Rydia record. SE should have explained this.

Just a question to those who've played After Years:
Do I need to do Rydia's record despite completing all in order to get the final episode? Will I be required to use Rydia in the final episode? Just a simple yes or no would do.

ULTROS! said:
Do I need to do Rydia's record despite completing all in order to get the final episode? Will I be required to use Rydia in the final episode? Just a simple yes or no would do.
As far as I know, no.

Abylim

Loving what theyve done so far!
Upto sealed cave, and I'm just having a blast.

Interlude and TAY, how comparable are they to IV? As good, or close?

Macstorm

ULTROS! said:
Ok, I'm a bit annoyed. I just realized you're not to save on top of each save files in TAY. I lost my Rydia record. SE should have explained this.

I thought you had to do hers to unlock Kain's and then the rest.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Macstorm said:
I thought you had to do hers to unlock Kain's and then the rest.

Kain's was unlocked, I wondering if I need to finish up Rydia again in order to retrieve the final chapter. If I don't need to, will I be required to use her?

Genjikage said:
Loving what theyve done so far!
Upto sealed cave, and I'm just having a blast.

Interlude and TAY, how comparable are they to IV? As good, or close?

TAY recycles a lot of stuff (too much IMO), but you'll like the new added battle system (
discover hidden combination attacks ala Chrono Trigger
).

ULTROS! said:
Kain's was unlocked, I wondering if I need to finish up Rydia again in order to retrieve the final chapter. If I don't need to, will I be required to use her?

Nope, you only need to do one of the optional stories to unlock Kain's chapter. When you beat his, the rest of the main chapters unlock.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Saw this thread for the first time and figured, yeah that sounds like something I'd be into. Go onto PSN and can't buy it. :( I hate you guys.

Note to self:

Stop seeing "Twincest" instead of "Twincast".

DarknessTear said:
Note to self:

Freud is watching you.

... and ceiling cat is... yeah

ULTROS!

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Nope, you only need to do one of the optional stories to unlock Kain's chapter. When you beat his, the rest of the main chapters unlock.

Ok, that's good. Fuck Rydia.

ULTROS! said:
You will have to use her again in the Gathering chapter, but you don't have to use her afterwards.

She is required to unlock some stuff in the final part(s) of the game though. Plus, you need the clear file from her Tale to unlock two optional characters. (Certain conditions need to be met during her Tale to unlock the characters also.)

ghibli99

Dogfacedgod said:
It's been a while since I played a core FF game. It's nice to go back to the simpler gameplay.
I agree. The one thing that gets me, though, and it only really started bothering me on this playthrough (out of many), is the way the game seems to be constantly mucking with the make up of your party. I understand why, but it takes the steam/momentum out of what you were just doing.

Still, though, this is a classic. When you think back to the early '90s, there really wasn't anything quite like it, and for the most part, it holds up well.

ULTROS!

Gunloc said:
You will have to use her again in the Gathering chapter, but you don't have to use her afterwards.

She is required to unlock some stuff in the final part(s) of the game though. Plus, you need the clear file from her Tale to unlock two optional characters. (Certain conditions need to be met during her Tale to unlock the characters also.)

What are those conditions though? Guess I have to replay her. Might as well do the other characters first.

ULTROS! said:
What are those conditions though? Guess I have to replay her. Might as well do the other characters first.
You need to get a Mythril Bolt, Mythril Nut & Mythril Spring in the Agart Mine. The nut & bolt are dropped by Quatro Dolls (which only can be fought during the Waxing Moon phase, and only specifically in an empty room filled with rocks), and the spring is found is a vase in the mine.

Once you find those three items and you beat Rydia's Tale, you'll unlock two extra characters in the final chapter(s) of the game. You'll know if you've done it correctly since the ending to Rydia's Tale will be slightly different. [Note: You have to fight the final boss of her Tale with those items in your inventory to unlock the characters, if you gather them afterward, you'll need to fight the boss again to complete the requirements.]

DarknessTear said:
Note to self:

I too have this problem.

Yaweee

ghibli99 said:
Any particular reason(s) why?

I'd imagine most of it is because that half is the same game as ever, and the other half is cobbled together with way too much recycled and repetitive content.

Yuripaw

Banned
This is kinda off topic, but on topic as well...

Other than the PSP and DS versions (since I don't have access to a psp and ds anymore), which is the best version of Final Fantasy IV to play? SNES, PS1, or GBA? I've never actually beaten the game before...

I know! how could I have never played it before? I was deprived of good games as a child, and too lazy in my adulthood so far to get to it.

Yuripaw said:

Other than the PSP and DS versions (since I don't have access to a psp and ds anymore), which is the best version of Final Fantasy IV to play? SNES, PS1, or GBA? I've never actually beaten the game before...

I know! how could I have never played it before? I was deprived of good games as a child, and too lazy in my adulthood so far to get to it.

GBA, definitely.

Yuripaw said:

GBA version has the most content and best translation of the three, but it has many weird glitches. If you're cool with importing the PAL GBA version (almost all the glitches are fixed in that release), then that would be my suggestion. (I'd still say the GBA version even if the PAL version isn't a viable option for you.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yuripaw said:

Another vote for GBA. Tons of new content like the post-game dungeon and extra character sidequests, and the translation's pretty good.

I'd advise getting the PAL version if it's possible like Gunloc suggests for the bug fixes.

ghibli99

I have to give my nod to the SNES version. I know it has its problems and is based on the easy version, but I can't give it to the GBA because of the music and the weird menu lag that just makes the game feel unpolished.

If we're talking fan translations, I thought the SFC FF4 Hardtype translation was great, although I haven't played it in like 7 or 8 years.

mr stroke

Just started playing this and really impressed with the graphics. Everything looks bright and crisp, spells pop, and the re done character models are awesome IMO. Much better than the DS remake.

Maxim726X

bubnbob said:
re: Bio

I am fond of the original SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound it made, so the blublublublub that we get is kinda meh

Haha me too. I miss it pretty badly.

Good thing it's still one of the strongest spells in the game though.

ULTROS!

FFIV:After Years is amazing. It's like Chrono Trigger's battle system in a Final Fantasy game.

Some thoughts on After Years (spoilers):
- I heard Ultros is a boss here, can't wait to fight myself in this game!
- Leonora being the "queen" in Call Me Queen Band is lulz.
- Bundling this game with FFIV is a great idea. AY focuses on character development and creates make the entire FFIV hardcore (namely the last chapter).

warpaint

This will be brought at some point this year but right now I have far to many games to finish More to the point most of them are RPGsand I would like to finish them first

Magnus

Really diggin the game's look and sound. This is a nice package for $30, and I've never even played the After Years before, so that'll be new....if I can make it to that point. The main entry is rapidly losing my interest, even though I played FFII back in the day. IV's story and characters are really the pits. Like, abysmally boring compared to VI onwards. I'm rapidly losing motivation to care, and am almost ashamed to say that the crispness of the overall game package (visuals, arranged music, spell effects, etc.) is what's keeping me.

I now desperately hope V and VI get this treatment, on any system; psp, 3ds, NGP, whatever. This should really be it for IV for like, a decade. lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Move onto The After Years and see if it captivates your interest. This is my second time through it, and I feel like I'm enjoying it a little more than I did during my first runthrough on Wii.

I finished the Interlude a few days ago. It took me 5 hours because I:
-grinded
-ran around trying to complete the Bestiary
-tried getting summon drops

If I hadn't done all of that, I would have finished it in 1.5-2 hours.

It wasn't bad, just okay. I know it's supposed to set up TAY, but I'm feeling indifferent towards it. Nice little factoids like
Cecil naming Ursula
, and other details that show up in TAY. It's very linear as well--if you don't think you're finished in one area (getting Bestiary entries, grinding, summon drops, etc), don't move on to the next dungeon. The ending could have been more fleshed out as well, imo.

I've been enjoying the game a lot and am close to finishing up. All I have left are the Challenge Dungeons for 6 more characters and then the final chapter. However, one thing I still don't understand is how Interlude fits into things.

In TAY they make it seem as if the Mysterious Girl appeared on Earth when the crater next to Mount Hobbs was created. However, in Interlude she was already there gathering Eidolons 16 years before TAY. Unless it has been a red herring that gets explained in the final chapter, I don't understand how this fits into the timeline properly. Also, wouldn't Rydia and the rest of the cast have been already searching for her by the time TAY came around, considering she gathered up Ifirt, Shiva, Ramuh and Titan at the end of Interlude?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AdawgDaFAB said:
I've been enjoying the game a lot and am close to finishing up. All I have left are the Challenge Dungeons for 6 more characters and then the final chapter. However, one thing I still don't understand is how Interlude fits into things.

In TAY they make it seem as if the Mysterious Girl appeared on Earth when the crater next to Mount Hobbs was created. However, in Interlude she was already there gathering Eidolons 16 years before TAY. Unless it has been a red herring that gets explained in the final chapter, I don't understand how this fits into the timeline properly. Also, wouldn't Rydia and the rest of the cast have been already searching for her by the time TAY came around, considering she gathered up Ifirt, Shiva, Ramuh and Titan at the end of Interlude?
It should be explained in the final chapter. IIRC, in the Wii version, it was explained in the "Final Tale, Part 2: Planet Eater" portion.

Dark Schala said:
It should be explained in the final chapter. IIRC, in the Wii version, it was explained in the "Final Tale, Part 2: Planet Eater" portion.

Well I beat the game last night and
I don't believe they ever explained exactly what it was that crashed into the earth to make the crater near Mt. Hobbs, but at least I understand how Interlude fits into the situation now. It was just a random Maenad sent by The Creator to procure the Eidolons for their plan. The timeline still feels way too off though, because why would the Creator collect them and then wait 16 years before going after the Crystals. Also, why would no one (at the very least Rydia) go searching for that Maenad who stole the Eidolons?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Got the game a few days ago, and it took a good 2-3 days to plow through the original FFIV again. Still a great game, no matter how many times I've played it. The first hour or so is pretty rough, but it amazes me every time how much it picks up after that. And I'm seriously thrilled that we have a definitive version of the game now. Don't really feel like tackling the Interlude or After Years, because they're supposed to be pretty bad from most of what I'm hearing, but I might go back for it later.

But man... this was basically a glorified port of the GBA version. It probably didn't take a ton of work to bring it onto the PSP in this fashion, but the results were fantastic... it makes me wonder if Square sees an opportunity to give FFV and FFVI a similar treatment...

Jigsaw

Banned
i got the bomb summon yesterday,grinded an entire week for it in the lunar ruins >_> i don't know how many bombs i've killed since the bestiary counter stopped at 999,after around 500 king bombs my whole party was already lvl99...this was the first time (in all ff4 versions) where i tried to get everything,the drop rates are beyond ridiculous

have done everything now in ff4 besides the pink tail and goblin summon,doubt i will grind another 2 weeks for these though

Seda said:
Probably one of my favorite Let's Play vids, ever (although I don't watch many at all).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDAYhhKzVOM

I'm guessing he didn't know that you could only get one AA at a time in the GBA version (is it still like that in this version?).

I must say though, his voice/s is/are incredibly annoying. I could never see myself watching him play an entire game.

Chacranajxy said:
Got the game a few days ago, and it took a good 2-3 days to plow through the original FFIV again. Still a great game, no matter how many times I've played it. The first hour or so is pretty rough, but it amazes me every time how much it picks up after that. And I'm seriously thrilled that we have a definitive version of the game now. Don't really feel like tackling the Interlude or After Years, because they're supposed to be pretty bad from most of what I'm hearing, but I might go back for it later.

But man... this was basically a glorified port of the GBA version. It probably didn't take a ton of work to bring it onto the PSP in this fashion, but the results were fantastic... it makes me wonder if Square sees an opportunity to give FFV and FFVI a similar treatment...

This was my first time playing TAY and I was hesitant due to those same reasons, but I actually throughly enjoyed it. I thought the Crono Trigger-ish team attacks and the added bits of strategy with the moon phases were cool and I felt like they did a really good job with the character development for the majority of the cast (impressive since it has over 20 playable characters). The game is significantly longer than FF4 itself if you try to 100% it.

I really hate it how every damn button is a confirm button when text is on screen. I've lost count of the number of times i've accidentally advanced the text with a subconscious flick of the analog stick. It's the worst fucking idea ever.

And some of the scaling is definitely off - in battle there is a massive size difference between Cecil and
the troops who come for him early on.

I'm enjoying the game so far but it seems ridiculously easy.

madara

Cyan said:
I want to punch the creator of Edward's challenge dungeon. In the nuts. Fifty thousand times.

lol. This game does rock though. Man I really wish we'd get 5 and 6 like this.

Chairhome

super bump. I just started playing this after getting on sale. I"ve beaten FFIV a bunch of times on previous versions, but just started the After Years (only played Ceodore's and Rydia's tales on WiiWare). Did they cut off the end of Ceodore's tale at a different part than the WiiWare version? I remember
Kain becoming a Holy Dragoon at the end of Ceodore's tale, does that happen somewhere else now?

Top Bottom