• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection |OT|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teknoman said:
Even if you've played through IV's story hundreds of times, going through with the new sprites is great. The summons even have real animations this time around (i know they did in the DS version, but there is something cool about seeing the 2d sprites being animated).

Also you can finally see detailed enemies, and probably how Zeromus really looked in the eyes of the artist.

Gets kinda challenging on 1 or 2 battle speed.
I definitely agree with a lot of this. I like going to (quarter-game spoilers)
Eblan before going to Troia
, so on speed 1 and active, the game got a little challenging. It's really nice to see the game with a new coat of paint. The summons looks really nice too.

Does anyone think the Red Wings theme sounds a little different even with the original arrangement? Maybe it's just me...
Original SNES version for comparison's sake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZkQPTuVBl0&t=1m02s
No one has the PSP version up.

Ah well, it isn't important. And it's probably a consequence of using headphones.

Yup, I have left it on the fastest speed + active atb and even normal enemy mobs have become pretty challenging now. Using slow on bosses is almost a must now, :lol . I think
Zeromus
is going to be a huge pain in the arse this time around.

Seda

Haven't got a chance to really play this yet, spending to much time on Tactics Ogre. That and graduation stuff.

Teknoman

Im leaving it on 2 for now. Put Tactics Ogre and Ys II aside since I know TO is pretty long, and Ys II i could probably beat while playing TO.

Don't think I will ever get tired of the Titan summon. Looks so brutal and awesome. I really hope the same team who did this ends up doing an FF V remake. They outdid themselves on the spell effects.

All of my final five characters (sticking with default group) are lvls 47-52 and
Plague Horror
is simply kicking my arse at speed 1 + active. Just can't kill him fast enough. I wanted to finish the game without slowing down the speed but I might have to for this. I shutter to think what
Zeromus
will be like.

Edit: Found a way around it.
I put stop on Rosa then let the rest die. I revived one person and then timed it up so I could revive someone else and cast reflect on them before they were hit with doom. This way doom never got attached to them and Plague kept casting it, which also reset the timer on everyone. Then I just went about killing it.

I just looked around online and I suppose you are right. I've beaten the game about 10 times by now through all it's various incarnations so I have little use for guides. However, whenever I got to that part before I pretty much just powered through the fight killing it quick enough to not have to do that. It was still kinda tough to time everything just right due to the fast countdown, :lol .

ghibli99

I've had this since launch but just started yesterday. Really liking it so far! I'm on the early antlion quest, and this is already so much better than the DS version. Some folks liked the 3D graphics and very high difficulty of that one, but I wasn't a fan... this is definitely where it's at. Seems to be based on the GBA source (minus the slowdown, of course), which is great.

Combat is like Dragon Quest fast... you're in and out of combat in a matter of seconds. Gotta love that. Sprites look *so* sharp, too... much nicer on-screen than they do in screenshots. I also like the inclusion of arranged and original soundtracks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm now almost near the final stage
(at the moon)
. I'm currently 41~43. What level should I be?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm still at
Eblan's Cave
, but I got Rydia's Cocatrice and Goblin summons. Feeling good about that.

Everyone's at Level 40-43. I think I'm overleveled, but with battle speed at 1 and active, it admittedly gets a little challenging. (I will agree, though--for grinding, Auto-Battle with monsters that summon other monsters is awesome).

Radogol said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMv3CNfMw1g
Sounds like the DS arrangement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-0p8rmIdtw
It's probably because I'm wearing headphones.

This game is amazing! I haven't played through FFIV since it was called FFII on the snes. I love the fast pace, new sprites, and especially the spell animations. This is a how a remake of a classic should be done. I'd pay double for a version of FFVI like this.

Quick question: At the main menu what the the FFIV Interlude? I know FFIV is the main gaime (duh) and FFIV The After years is the quasi-sequel that was originally released for the Wii VC, but is Interlude just bridging the story? Or is there more gameplay there?

1 + Active really really makes the game very enjoyable. Just finished Mount Ordeals at just under 3 hours. It has been eons since I've played IV, so that feels pretty crazy.

Dogfacedgod said:
This game is amazing! I haven't played through FFIV since it was called FFII on the snes. I love the fast pace, new sprites, and especially the spell animations. This is a how a remake of a classic should be done. I'd pay double for a version of FFVI like this.

Quick question: At the main menu what the the FFIV Interlude? I know FFIV is the main gaime (duh) and FFIV The After years is the quasi-sequel that was originally released for the Wii VC, but is Interlude just bridging the story? Or is there more gameplay there?

Yup. It is a short (few hours) extra that SE created for this game to better tie IV to TAY. I haven't played it yet so IDK how good of a job they do with that.

Also, TAY was originally released by chapter on mobile phones in Japan before getting the Wii port.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Yup. It is a short (few hours) extra that SE created for this game to better tie IV to TAY. I haven't played it yet so IDK how good of a job they do with that.

Also, TAY was originally released by chapter on mobile phones in Japan before getting the Wii port.

Cool. Thanks for the info and correction. Any word on whether FFVI will get this treatment?

If this sells well I'm sure SE might take it under consideration but AFAIK there is no reason to believe at the moment that more of these are coming. Personally, I know it wouldn't happen but I would LOVE to get 5 and 6 remakes like this on PSP or PSP2 AND a remake similar to IV DS on 3DS.

Chatin

Skipped over the main game to play through Interlude and The After Years. The challenge dungeons are kicking my ass. Every battle seems to be with a mon or an enemy with instant death attacks. Definitely enjoying the new stuff, despite the poorly written dialogue.

Ellis Kim

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
If this sells well I'm sure SE might take it under consideration but AFAIK there is no reason to believe at the moment that more of these are coming. Personally, I know it wouldn't happen but I would LOVE to get 5 and 6 remakes like this on PSP or PSP2 AND a remake similar to IV DS on 3DS.
To be honest, I'd be ok with an FF5 up-port in this style, but I think FF6 would have to be an event. NGP and 3DS could deliver on that, graphically. I'd even accept a home console iteration.

Utako

Banned
Magicpaint said:
I don't like the new sprites for the characters but the monsters look OMG hot.

Still not sure if I'll buy day one, but I am keeping an eye.
Same here. I actually can't bear to look at the character sprites.

Ellis Kim said:
To be honest, I'd be ok with an FF5 up-port in this style, but I think FF6 would have to be an event. NGP and 3DS could deliver on that, graphically. I'd even accept a home console iteration.

Not because I think VI is particularly better (V is my favorite of the SNES era Final Fantasy), but VI would translate a lot better to something like a 3DS port. That, and I'd much rather see V get this sort of treatment.

shaowebb

PumpkinPie said:
I don't like the sprites at all, too clean looking IMO...I think it ends up looking like a cheap flash game.

Jesus people its called vector art. People use it because unlike bitmaps you can scale it to any size with no pixelization since it uses geometry to calculate your lines and colors as coordinates instead of filling in these sections with pixels.

You get REALLY clean linework in vector art and most non animated comics you see utilize it in some way if they aren't doing it the old fashioned way.

Adobe Illustrator draws in vector and it pipelines any objects you draw directly into flash as symbols to tween. Flash is a VECTOR based program so all it uses (unless you are solid on imported bitmap still frames) are vectors.

I'm so sick of this "it looks newgroundsy" shit. First the Skullgirls thread and now this. Get over it people. Not everything done in vectors is being tweened and animated by a hack for newgrounds. I'm pretty certain a publisher as big as square ( and reverge especially given their 1300+ frame count on characters) can animate with this format at a professional level.

Just remember that not everyone who shows a game that looks vector based has the skillset of a newgrounds hack. Wait until you see it in action until you judge if it looks like a cheap flash game or not.

pshh...looks too "clean". I bet you bitch when you see something without a lot of anti alias saying just the opposite too.

bubnbob

Banned
ULTROS! said:
(at the moon)

I grinded until like mid-50s.

BIG BANG BIG BANG BIG BANG just wiped me out too easily, so I needed some beef.

It also helps to set the battle speed to 3 or so.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ULTROS! said:
(at the moon)

Have you finished the game before? If so,

~~~~
Are you at the Moon the first time or the second time?
~~~

Bare in mind that you normally gain at least a dozen levels in the final dungeon :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Stumpokapow said:
Have you finished the game before? If so,

~~~~
Are you at the Moon the first time or the second time?
~~~

Bare in mind that you normally gain at least a dozen levels in the final dungeon :p

Spoilerz:
I never finished the game, reached up to the second part of the moon (was playing the PS1 version). I'm currently in the moon the first time.

ghibli99

I didn't think I'd be a fan of the new sprites either, but I think they look great. Everything moves so smoothly, and the spell effects are terrific.

What a great update, i played the GBA edition for about 10 hours years ago and was suspicious of this one. But it has delivered! :D (Here's to hoping we eventually get FF6 with the same treatment)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
shaowebb said:
Jesus people its called vector art.

I'm no expert... but I'm pretty sure FFIV Complete Collection does not use vector art. It's just higher resolution sprite art.

It may or may not have been rendered with vectors originally (doubt it), but if it was, it was surely rasterized into bitmap sprite imagery. As far as the PSP is concerned, they're sprites.

I agree that high res sprites should not be treated as "flash games" or "korean web games" or whatever the stereotype is. That's a wierd early 2000s association that needs to die. High res spritework is awesome.

demonkaze

Just a quick question, really looking to play this game but is the start button used in any way because mines stopped working for some reason.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
demonkaze said:
Just a quick question, really looking to play this game but is the start button used in any way because mines stopped working for some reason.
To pause the game during battles.

Also for Soft Reset (L+R+Select+Start).

ULTROS!

Any impressions on the Interlude and The After Years?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
panda21 said:
this is different than the FF2 released before on the PSP right?
Yeah, that PSP game was FF2 as it was originally known in Japan.

This is FF4, it was known as FF4 originally in Japan, and despite being released as FF2 once on the SNES in the USA, has been known as FF4 ever since.

I'm trying to finish up the Bestiary in FF4 before moving on to the other two parts of the game, however I am having trouble. Anyone know where I can find #127 - Yellow Dragon and 144 - Clockwork Dragon?

squall211

AdawgDaFAB said:
I'm trying to finish up the Bestiary in FF4 before moving on to the other two parts of the game, however I am having trouble. Anyone know where I can find #127 - Yellow Dragon?

I thought that was in the final dungeon.

Edit: I might be thinking of the gold dragon.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I'm trying to finish up the Bestiary in FF4 before moving on to the other two parts of the game, however I am having trouble. Anyone know where I can find #127 - Yellow Dragon and 144 - Clockwork Dragon?

Yellow dragons can actually be found in the 2nd Mt Ordeals dungeon. 1st room has them sometimes.

I'm pretty sure the Clockwork is in the giant, which means you can probably get it further down the Mt Ordeals dungeon or in the moon extra dungeon.

Zwei

BocoDragon said:
Yeah, that PSP game was FF2 as it was originally known in Japan.

This is FF4, it was known as FF4 originally in Japan, and despite being released as FF2 once on the SNES in the USA, has been known as FF4 ever since.

I am so confused..

Zwei said:
I am so confused..

FF1 = NES
FF2 = NES
FF3 = NES
FF4 = SNES
FF5 = SNES
FF6 = SNES
FF7 = PSX
FF8 = PSX
FF9 = PSX
FF10 = PS2
FF11 = PS2/PC
FF12 = PS2
FF13 = PS360

Originally, FF2 and FF3 on NES didn't come out in English. So when FF4 was made and brought it to the west they renamed it FF2 . Then FF5 didn't come out and when FF6 was localized it was renamed FF3. When the jump was made to the PSX generation they began keeping the proper numbers and eventually released all of the games in English (through ports and remakes) with the correct numbering.

hikarutilmitt said:
Yellow dragons can actually be found in the 2nd Mt Ordeals dungeon. 1st room has them sometimes.

I'm pretty sure the Clockwork is in the giant, which means you can probably get it further down the Mt Ordeals dungeon or in the moon extra dungeon.

Thanks, I'll go look for those now.
If you can help me with theses as well, here are two more I need help locating: 176 - Malboro Menace and 195 - Bandit.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Thanks, I'll go look for those now.
If you can help me with theses as well, here are two more I need help locating: 176 - Malboro Menace and 195 - Bandit.

If the bandit is the enemy I think it is, it'll be in the 2nd Lunar dungeon. Malboro Menace is in the cave of trials on Mt Ordeals.

Chances are good that any random enemies you may be missing will be in either of the extra dungeons. the CoT actually houses, I think, every enemy in the game at some point except perhaps the ones in the 2nd Lunar dungeon.

Something I might recommend is getting some Siren items to automatically get the more rare enemies.

Top Bottom