• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection |OT|

bubnbob

Banned
Dark Schala said:
Out of curiosity, does The After Years still retain the post-chapter dungeons (since they are apparently arranged differently), or are they completely gone? Also, how is the encounter rate?

They are there. Encounter Rate is the same as last time, really.

They also included a special post-game-game boss for you to tackle, not in Wii version. More info on GameFAQs if curious.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
bubnbob said:
They are there. Encounter Rate is the same as last time, really.

They also included a special post-game-game boss for you to tackle, not in Wii version. More info on GameFAQs if curious.
Thank you for answering. I'll keep myself in the dark about that boss for now. :)

For Canada-GAF-- I just got called to pick up my copy of this game (in the GTA), so I guess you can check with EB Games to see if they have copies. I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

Bizzyb

Banned
jling84 said:
Sorry but if you grew up playing the SNES FFIV the DS version is an abomination. This PSP version is not exactly like the SNES version but it is about a million times better than the DS one.

FFIV, or as it was known in US, FF2, was the first FF game I played and was the first time I actually gave a damn about a videogame story/characters. It was the game that got me into the series. That said I thought the DS game was an excellent remake on the story/characters.

This difficulty was just right and the Bosses required real strategy. It also took the story and somehow made it even better. So I don't see how anyone could honestly call it an "abomination".

LowParry

Alright, I caved and got this. The visuals. Visuals! Fucking amazing. It makes me all giddy playing this game again and I'm looking forward to the After Years cause I haven't got to play any of them. :D :D :D

Aeana

DiscoJer said:
I just don't get people playing JRPGs for the difficult combat. You pick stuff from menus. It's not difficult, it's a matter of stats and grinding them up (which isn't fun).
Exercising your mental faculties in order to not have to brute force everything through grinding is what is fun and rewarding. Try it sometime.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Vincent Alexander said:
The Interlude took me about 2-3 hours. I enjoyed it, and it wasn't too easy. I haven't started the After Years yet.
That's good to hear. Though I wonder what made them say that it would take 15 hours. There likely isn't a part where you can have a little leeway to search for weapons or fight extra bosses, right? It seems all linear from what I've seen.

Ahhh, I think I'm going to get this tomorrow and take the night off from studying to play through it.

Dark Schala said:
That's good to hear. Though I wonder what made them say that it would take 15 hours. There likely isn't a part where you can have a little leeway to search for weapons or fight extra bosses, right? It seems all linear from what I've seen.

Ahhh, I think I'm going to get this tomorrow and take the night off from studying to play through it.
I checked my final time: 1 hour and 42 minutes.

Damn, After Years has a high encounter rate. People weren't kidding.

Roxas

I might get shit for this, but Auto mode is an absolute god send when your trying to grind up your levels. Just walking around the Underworld getting 1500+ EXP per battle.

Bizzyb said:
FFIV, or as it was known in US, FF2, was the first FF game I played and was the first time I actually gave a damn about a videogame story/characters. It was the game that got me into the series. That said I thought the DS game was an excellent remake on the story/characters.

This difficulty was just right and the Bosses required real strategy. It also took the story and somehow made it even better. So I don't see how anyone could honestly call it an "abomination".
I agree. FFIV was my first jRPG and I must have finished it at least 10 times on SNES. I really enjoyed the DS remake.

bubnbob said:
The game is pretty cake up until you hit the
moon
, or just about, then you start finding your legs bent backwards and pants at your ankles.

Also having the battle speed at max can affect difficulty, since it also affects how fast enemies hit/cast spells.
Ah thats the subtitle this thread is missing. Which number is fastest? 1? I remember in previous FFIV threads people being like, "ugh its so slow and the enmeis don't fight much and I've set it to the highest" only for that to be slowest.

Ondore

Am I correct to assume the following:

1) The same rules for unlocking the Lunar Ruins challenges apply (have to beat the final boss with a character in the party to get their challenge opened).

2) None of the levels earned in the maingame carry over to the Interlude or After Years.

bubnbob

Banned
Well don't be surprised when you have to notch it down because enemies are pounding your hole at a rate you can't catch up to.

I had to do it for the final boss - BIG BANG, BIG BANG, BIG BANG, BIG BAN- dead

The game is really starting to grow on me, and finally starting to offer me some challenge. Just got back to Baron and Baigan wiped the floor with my party. I have my battle speed at max and am using active, and will keep it this way as it is making things somewhat harder. At this rate I will have to start casting slow on any enemy party that gives me trouble.

Also the battle graphics are so nice. Especially the spell effects. The various fire spells are my favorite. Even the level 1 fire spell looks awesome. Bio looks absolutely disgusting, and fits the spell perfectly. And the tsunami spell that enemies cast has a really nice graphical effect. It really makes me want to see the same treatment done to FF 5.

Anyway I am pretty much rushing through the game and not even talking to NPCs. I just want to do the interlude and TAY, but I feel obliged to finish FF IV first. And the GBA content is new to me as well, so I guess I am rushing to see that as well.

jling84 said:
I didn't word that really quite right, of course that is all in my opinion. I'm not trying to make it sound as if no one whose first experience with FFIV was on SNES would dislike the DS version.

To me the DS version had no heart. There's no arguing the difficulty difference, but either way both versions were pretty easy to me. With the move to 3D, the game felt completely soulless to me. The characters lost a lot of their, well, character.
I disagree on the heart thing. I'm actually playing through the DS version again in light of this PSP's release. And the voice acting, 3D cinematic cut-scenes, and graphics really do enhance the experience. It's still pretty amazing seeing those tiny little mouths moving when the characters are speaking.

I know it's all based on one's own opinion and I totally understand why you'd prefer the 2D version since you grew up on it. But I think the 3D in the DS really does help bring the characters and story to life. Even the cut scenes are cinematic and expresses a lot of emotion whereas in the 2D original, it was just dialogue that moved the emotion. But that's just how I feel about it.

jiggle

ugh
memories are flooding back to me now on how much i hated the plot progression in this game

graphics sure are purty though

Damn, none of the three Gamestops in my town have a copy. The closest store with a copy is 30 miles away. Weak. I wanted to use this $25.00 credit of mine...

jiggle said:
ugh
memories are flooding back to me now on how much i hated the plot progression in this game

graphics sure are purty though

I never had a problem with the plot or how it unfolded. The only progression issue I had was the sudden/unexpected change of playable characters that often occurs, and them keeping the equipment they left with (sometimes to return with brand new gear, making you lose what they had before). I know it isn't the most realistic solution (Since they did leave the party wearing the stuff), but if the game would put a persons gear back in your inventory when they leave the party then I'd have no problems at all.

jamska

Neo Member
bubnbob said:
re: Bio

I am fond of the original SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound it made, so the blublublublub that we get is kinda meh

Yeah! That grating bio noise is so distinct and memorable, I was sad it didn't make a return :(

Teknoman

Finally got the game. Sorry Ys II.

I think im gonna go with the SNES soundtrack, since I havent heard that in awhile. The arranged is just the DS soundtrack right? Still not sure since I remember hearing Hamauzu from X-XIII fame was supposed to do an arrangement of the main theme.

EDIT: For the first time in the history of the series, we'll finally be able to see what Zeromus is supposed to be lol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
bubnbob said:
re: Bio

I am fond of the original SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound it made, so the blublublublub that we get is kinda meh
Me too. The current sound is really underwhelming.

I decided to play through the main game again. Messing with the menu colour and pattern right now, increased battle speed to 1 and set it to Active, so hopefully difficulty might ramp up. Got Goblin summon. Might attempt to get the Cockatrice summon.

I want to beat the main game before getting to the Interlude chapter, though. Feels right... unless I get impatient, heh.

Edit:
Teknoman said:
Still not sure since I remember hearing Hamauzu from X-XIII fame was supposed to do an arrangement of the main theme.
Hamauzu arranged the opening theme for the OP video, I think. http://vgmdb.net/album/22762

Album review: http://www.originalsoundversion.com...fantasy-iv-the-after-years-sound-plus-review/

Also, yeah--the arranged stuff is the DS soundtrack. I went with the SNES for nostalgia's sake.

Teknoman

Cool, original soundtrack it is then :D The opening after years is a nice arrangement though...would've been nice if he did a brand new full arrange just for the PSP, but this is good.

Teknoman

Wow this game looks great in action. To answer an earlier question, the lower the number, the faster the battle speed. 3 is default.

I got my copy and I thought it was interesting it had the thicker cover and the UMD had the blue UMD logo in the center and the little controller icon and PSP in the corners. It's been a while since I've gotten a PSP game with all that.

Luthos

I don't have a PSP, but...

That is totally the way to remake an old 2D sprite game. So much more appealing than those DS remakes. I mean I would KILL for a remake of FFVI that looks like this.

Just bought this today and looks great!

Question: why haven't Square-Enix been as eager to make this kind of remake for FFV or FFVI? Surely those games are just as beloved, if not more than FFIV...

LegendOfGood said:
Just bought this today and looks great!

Question: why haven't Square-Enix been as eager to make this kind of remake for FFV or FFVI? Surely those games are just as beloved, if not more than FFIV...
Personally, I think VI still looks great. I love the sprites and all. That isn't to say I don't love the original of IV.

I've finished Ceodore's and Rydia's chapter on the After Years. Really digging it. It's kinda making the whole purchase worth it.

Wilsongt

So far, I finished the interlude.

Positives:

- Monster sprites are sexy.
- I can listen to the classic arrangement of themes.
- Palom still kicks major ass.
- It looks very, very good.

Negatives:

- Can't say I am a fan of in-battle sprites.
- When the overworld sprites are facing to their side, they look great. But both forward and backwards... Cecil and Kain walk like they are sashaying.
- WTF is this about an inventory limit? I thought we moved past such a trivial thing.

So I'm really enjoying this game. My only complaint is that I wish they would have kept the ff6 style sprites from the Wii TaY version. Other than that this is awesome.

I do have one question though; after each chapter it says that saving clear data retains your items and levels for other chapters. But each time I start a new Chapter my inventory is blank. I don't get what I'm doing wrong.

Link Man

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
So I'm really enjoying this game. My only complaint is that I wish they would have kept the ff6 style sprites from the Wii TaY version. Other than that this is awesome.

I do have one question though; after each chapter it says that saving clear data retains your items and levels for other chapters. But each time I start a new Chapter my inventory is blank. I don't get what I'm doing wrong.
I would assume it's saving that stuff for the final chapter, though I haven't really played much of TaY (I own the first few chapters on Wii).

bubnbob

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:

All chapters are separate until the final when everyone comes together - "The Crystals"

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a Japanese save file work on the US version of this?

The reason I want to know is because I was talking about the game with a friend (who tends to import a lot of games) and I found he has the Japanese version. I could probably borrow it from him but I am planning on buying it myself when I get some money and I wouldn't want to have to start over from scratch when I do.

LowParry

I remember way back when I was playing the DS version, I was up against the
Dark Elf and Tornado didn't work.
Yet with this version, it did. Just like the good'ol times. But yeah, this is a lot of an easier play which is completely fine by me.

I skipped playin' through FF4. I've played it enough times on the PS1, GBA, and DS. Plus, I prefer the gameplay changes made in the DS version. Not sure why the After Years gets so much hate (I mean, besides the ridiculous pricing having to download them all but obviously not a problem here) I kinda like the episodic format. Easy to put down and pick up later without trying to remember what I was doing. Also, I think it does a better job of handling what the world of FF4 is like years later than the FF7 compilations did of showing what its world was like after FF7.

So yeah, enjoying so far. I like the visuals update a lot.

CcrooK said:
Yet with this version, it did. Just like the good'ol times. But yeah, this is a lot of an easier play which is completely fine by me.

The second part of that fight was the first hard boss I fought in the game until I did that, lol. Standard enemy wise, I was pretty much coasting until I got to the enemies in the underground area leading from Baron into the Castle.

CcrooK said:

Yeah, I forgot to try doing that again, but I still remembered how to destroy the
Evil Wall in the Sealed Cave
. Heck I think I may have overdone it since he went down REALLY fast this time.

I think the only thing making this at all easier for me than any other time I've played the game on any other system is having the ability to skip character turns with triangle. I really, really loved it in later games and always wanted it for FFIV, so now that I have it it feels like the game needed a tiny bit of rebalancing.

Once I got to the
Tower of Babil
the game got harder (playing on fastest speed with active setting). Once I got to
the Moon
even enemy mobs started to kick my arse and bosses got significantly harder. I would definitely say the first half or so of the game is a cake walk before the difficulty ramps up.

WilyRook said:
Is auto-battle customizable?

Note: I play with the Cursor Keep battle setting, so I don't know if it is like this otherwise.

Auto-battle makes everything go in fast motion (including attack / spell animations) and has your team do whatever the last action you had them do was.
Ex: If Cecil attacked, Rosa did Curaja All and Rydia did a summon and then I hit select to turn on auto battle then they would just keep doing that over and over.

WilyRook

AdawgDaFAB said:
Note: I play with the Cursor Keep battle setting, so I don't know if it is like this otherwise.

Auto-battle makes everything go in fast motion (including attack / spell animations) and has your team do whatever the last action you had them do was.
Ex: If Cecil attacked, Rosa did Curaja All and Rydia did a summon and then I hit select to turn on auto battle then they would just keep doing that over and over.

Cool, thanks. I was wondering if it was like the DS version, and I guess it practically is with cursor memory + single button press to go in and tweak commands if need be. Kinda like on-the-fly customize.

Teknoman

Even if you've played through IV's story hundreds of times, going through with the new sprites is great. The summons even have real animations this time around (i know they did in the DS version, but there is something cool about seeing the 2d sprites being animated).

Also you can finally see detailed enemies, and probably how Zeromus really looked in the eyes of the artist.

Gets kinda challenging on 1 or 2 battle speed.

Top Bottom