• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to spend the day grinding power orbs. I looked at the numbers from FFRK Inspector, and it looks like the expected number of power orbs / run on each of the levels is:

Level 1 - 1.15 / run
Level 2 - 0.53 / run
Level 3 - 1.95 / run

So totalling all that up, a full clear of Mana Stronghold on Heroic should average ~3.63 power orbs. Before trying Heroic Vanille event again I want to hone Power Break : 2 -> 3 and Armor Break : 1 -> 2 which costs a total of 30 Power Orbs (I already have everything else, but 0 power orbs). I bought the remaining 5 Power Orbs from Lenna's event, so now I just need 25. 25 / 3.63 = ~7 full clears, which at 45 stamina / clear is 315 stamina. I started with 91 stamina, so I really just need to refresh 224 stamina, which should take about 11.2 hours.

So if all my math is correct, I should inch out of Mana Stronghold with almost exactly enough Power Orbs needed to hone both of those abilities 1 more time, just like I need, with about half an hour remaining before the event closes, which is not even enouth time to refresh for 1 more run. So it's going to be really tight.

How many memories would you have ended up with if you had been smart and retreated instead of fighting Behemoth? :p
If someone runs into a wall during the survival event and can't win, then the best thing to do is savescuming. Instead of starting the fight, like normal when savescumming, just press cancel and the game loads up the stage select screen. Then exit and collect the magicite.

Edit: I didn't see this before posting, but I was beaten to saying this :p
Yes, but you can save scum and choose not to continue the battle. That way you go back to the level menu and retreat with memories.

I'm guessing he means use Retaliate and then cast Stop on the Retaliater so his retaliate doesn't wear off? Seems like a waste of an ability slot, getting through all those bosses on the way up isn't easy.

No, earlier in the thread, someone had theorized (or read about a theory) that Anima's arms don't AoE until everyone in your party's charge bar is full. If you stop a team member, that can never happen.

Just keep laughing until Stop wears off. This just reminded me, I never mastered the stupid T-Rex ...

Eyd8DVf.jpg

whelp, fuck that.

I culled a few items a few days ago and am thinking I need to again. Power Staff IV 2++ is weaker than Rune Staff IV 3+ that you get via the Vanille Event, for example. I'm tempted to just run through and dump all of my 2++ items like the green beret, the XII mythril sword etc, at least to the point that I have 3 or 4 starred rs weapons.

I think I'll keep weapons with added effects, like the various V bows, though I really don't see the utility of getting a magic bounce via a bow vs just rolling out a rod or staff with significantly better mag. I haven't done the math on that, I could be off. My V Jstaff 5+ has 50 more mag points than my 2+fire bow, for example.

I figure per world I'll keep:
3 Swords
2 Daggers (due mainly to poor spear and katana drops I've received)
1 of everything else. Perhaps more than 1 rod per world if I land multiple 4*s in case the need arises for a more mag heavy offense.

barring any of the special effects items and any 4* and 5* items.

I am curious what my quake damage in III would be using a 3* Golem Staff (18 mg without RS) compared to my 5* Guard Stick (109 Mag without RS) Would the RS and the earth modifier offset the massive Mag difference in the rods when using quake? Has someone run those numbers? Of course, then you have to question if the hit you take in using the other ability slot for something other than quake is worth it.

EGM92

Has anyone been able to Master Heroic in the vanillie event? I have everyone equipped with 5* weapons some 5* armor, some fights are easy but others I have to blow my load (skills) just to get past it. Then I have nothing left for the other tough guys.

Saerk

Beat Heroic, but I didn't get Mastery overall :/ Burned a mithril on Anima too. First mithril I spent in that fashion, but I had like 90 of them. I'll try Heroic again when Vanille is a bit more leveled since I'm pretty sure I would have made it to full mastery.

Did a 11x pull hoping to grab a FF13 weapon. Got a 4* healer staff from 13 and a 4* glove from 7. Also got a 5* Regal Gown. I think FF6 is the source of all my 5* gear. Staff isn't too bad. I haven't buffed it up all the way, but with synergy it is better than the FF3 staff, so there is that. I'm going to wait on banner pulls until I see 4 soul break weapons again. With all the mithril they are giving us maybe I'll have enough for two by then.

Saerk

I am curious what my quake damage in III would be using a 3* Golem Staff (18 mg without RS) compared to my 5* Guard Stick (109 Mag without RS) Would the RS and the earth modifier offset the massive Mag difference in the rods when using quake? Has someone run those numbers? Of course, then you have to question if the hit you take in using the other ability slot for something other than quake is worth it.

I think I read on reddit that if you use the Golem Staff and the Gaia Vest(Gear? The 4 star summoner robe you get from story levels) that quake does absurd damage due to both of them doing a weird multiplication thing with their earth boosts.

Negator

I just did 4 single pulls because the 11 pull made me salty.

Got Balamb Garden Uniform and Golden Spear. I don't know if I'm more or less salty than I was before.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So as a f2p player, what should I be focusing on farming in the Lenna event? I keep hearing that quake is super useful and I'm only about 3k more away from affording the orbs for that, so I figure I'll get that first. But after that, should I pick up orbs to hone quake or should I be concentrating on something else?

I hear that getting thundaja in the Vanille event only takes about 3 days on hard, so I'm not too concerned about that atm since it'll be around a while.

Any tips for running that Heroic? I need Power Orbs but I have no patience for those damn Sea Dragons AKA The Tsunami Crew

Couple of things you can do:

1) Wear lots of helmets. Helmets are higher in RES than armors usually.
2) Bring some people with magic break, try to spam it on the sea dragons ASAP.
3) Eat shit and S/L.

Vorpal

Has anyone been able to Master Heroic in the vanillie event? I have everyone equipped with 5* weapons some 5* armor, some fights are easy but others I have to blow my load (skills) just to get past it. Then I have nothing left for the other tough guys.

I (just barely) got Mastery on Heroic last night. My route included two fights with Anima, and I used a mythril revive on the second fight in order to regain ability uses. Aside from that, Proto Behemoth was my biggest challenge just in terms of healing.

I used a full party of 50s (Cloud, Sephiroth, Aerith, Wakka, and Rydia) and Retaliate. I have several 5* weapons + a Genji Shield and Regal Gown.

Some notes from my run:

- If you aren't bringing Vanille, deduct -3 medals from your tally of total medals earned because you'll miss the "Don't let Vanille get KO'd" condition in the last fight. You'll need 65 medals or above to get Mastery, I believe.

- Double up on buffs/debuffs that play to your strengths. I went all in on physical attacks so I brought Boost, Armor Break and used Status Reels. As a result, Rydia (with Thundaga R2 and Firaga R2) was pretty useless for several boss fights, though she was great for clearing trash. I also found that Retaliate helped me to save a fair number of ability uses.

- Aerith + Kirin is useful for Anima fights because, outside of Counter, the damage is fairly low but consistent. (Maybe less of an issue if you have RS armor, Protectga or Shell. I didn't.)

- Burst down Behemoths as quickly as possible, because their damage output is nuts. Again, maybe a non-issue with Protectga or RS armor, but I did most of my S/Ling here until I had a fight where he missed a Heave and never used Rake. Burst down Myrmidon as well, because the Actions Taken scoring for him is very unforgiving.

- Getting a feel for enemy HP helps a lot with saving ability uses. Eventually you get to know that a Wight goes down after one Double Cut and one normal attack, or another enemy dies after Thundaga x1 and normal attacks.

Good luck! I would bet there are setups that are more viable, or better strategies for particular bosses, but this is what worked for me (after spending a mythtil to refill).

Quake GET!

Now to get as many greater wind orbs as I can before Lenna ends for blade blitz. Should help my ability to do runs of hard vanille event if Rydia can 1 shot trash mobs twice

Kaiterra

Banned
Re: the merits of Thundaja, I think a good one is giving it to low level casters you're still building up or characters with low MAG because they're equipping a knife for better DPS vs. trash mobs or what have you.

The rumor is that Locke is up next, yes?

I will do my next Eleven Pull for that, maybe.

I could probably use some more three and four star gear as well, anyway.

Saerk

Sleep should work too, but you have a high chance of counterattack waking the sleep'd party member.

I've been using retaliate to avoid the counter attack, so that will be less of an issue. I just checked I actually don't have stop at all and 6 casts of sleep. Sleep it is.

SunGod

Also, is there a way to tell when Retaliate will wear off? I fucking hate double cutting my retaliater only to find the ability wore off in the middle and I proceed to smack the shit out of him.

The character changes stance, but unfortunately you can't tell in advance when it's going to wear off :( same as Falk I just reuse it every other turn.

Sooooo I spent 100 Mythrils(all that I had but 1) on the Vanille banner yesterday evening... I got 1 Danjuro and 2 Regal Gown. I was disappointed but I finally had native 5* (did two 11 pulls in the past + a bunch of single pull at the start). That was about 230 Mythrils for a Danjuro and 2 Regal Gown.

I went to bed with 1 Mythril, got 1 when I woke up from the 3 months thing. I had the last 3 FF V Elite left for a total of 3 Mythrils. Struggled a while against Byblos because I forgot to switch my abilities properly before the dungeon. When I killed him and reached 5 Mythrils I told myself why the fuck not... at this point...

Yea... Why the fuck not! =)

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm freaking amazed my Stop suggestion actually worked

This game suddenly just jumped to as much fun as vanilla wow and thottbot datamining trying to figure out how to break stuff.

And yeah, if you're doing retaliate meta, sleep sounds like a better deal since it lasts way longer. Getting it to stick might be a problem though (unless it's 100% when cast on allies?)

I'm freaking amazed my Stop suggestion actually worked

This game suddenly just jumped to as much fun as vanilla wow and thottbot datamining trying to figure out how to break stuff.

And yeah, if you're doing retaliate meta, sleep sounds like a better deal since it lasts way longer. Getting it to stick might be a problem though (unless it's 100% when cast on allies?)

Is sleep how to make anima not an awful boss fight? Getting double with no record synergy stuff is just hell and demands a mythril sacrifice for skills

Is sleep how to make anima not an awful boss fight? Getting double with no record synergy stuff is just hell and demands a mythril sacrifice for skills
I actually just beat a double Anima run on Hard with no cheese tactics or exploits.

The first one cleaned me out of skills for the most part. I was going to retreat for the second one, but just decided to go for it for laughs. I took out one arm as quick as I could and then I set everyone to defend and mostly just attacked with my highest damage dealer, the counters only did anything when they targeted him. Magic Shield (Celes) and Mass Regen (Lenna) helped a lot too with the second half.

I got 8505 crystals!

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm not sure I could do double Anima without a Mythril refresh either. Considering I need minimum 3 retaliates and 2 armor breaks for each Anima, that leaves scant little for the bosses prior (Both Warmech and Behemoth need one shot each) and that's not even getting into the insane heal-up requirements (especially for Behemoth).

p.s. sleep/stop whatever cheese only works when Anima is in his second phase (see here). The arms will wait for entire (alive) party's ATB gauge to fill up before starting their charge up for AOE.

For what it's worth though, at that point (second phase) the fight should have become much, much easier, considering it's the nonstop pummeling in the first phase that's hard to survive. The second phase means pretty much apply Magic Break on the surviving arm and no one should die ever unless you're triggering too many counters from the boss. Sleep/stop also essentially gives you one less character for dealing damage or debuffing or healing or whatever.

Still, if it works for you, then yeah lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can some one explain the retaliate trick, everyone is referring too?

take your hardest hitter
have them use retaliate
make everyone else attack your hardest hitter
give double cut to a turd character like your healer, have them double cut your hardest hitter
success

I actually just beat a double Anima run on Hard with no cheese tactics or exploits.

The first one cleaned me out of skills for the most part. I was going to retreat for the second one, but just decided to go for it for laughs. I took out one arm as quick as I could and then I set everyone to defend and mostly just attacked with my highest damage dealer, the counters only did anything when they targeted him. Magic Shield (Celes) and Mass Regen (Lenna) helped a lot too with the second half.

I got 8505 crystals!

HOLY SHIT THIS WORKED

My team was cloud (46), sephy (41), kain (36), rydia (42), and aerith (39)

Cloud had 1 power break
Sephy has 1 armor break
Kain had 1 jump and 2 magic break
Rydia had 2 comet 2 thundara
Aerith had 3 curaga 5 boost

Boosted cloud (he had blade blitz), had everyone kill one of the turbine, then everyone defended except for cloud attacking boosted and aerith boosting/healing

Once second phase began used magic break on turbine, armor and physical break on anima, used rest of rydia's magic, then went back to everyone defend but cloud. Only lost kain and still got mastery!

Double anima isn't worth it though the extra 1000 memories isn't worth the effort

I want to farm Lenna event before it ends but I'm worried about not having enough time to get Thundaja. Hmmmm

If you can do at least one hard run of Vanille a night you should be fine, just do at least 3 on your free days

What's the point? Does it void counter attacks?

Retaliate always targets the enemy regardless of who attacked the character. Meaning its far more effective to make one super strong character who can retaliate then have everyone beat up that character. All those attacks will get retaliated towards the enemy for maximum damage. Retaliate lasts for like 30 seconds and carries between rounds making it one of the best abilities in the game

If only I had more lesser power orbs :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom