• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can honestly say that farming Granaldo all day today has been my biggest waste of Stamina in a day since day 1. RNG can be more than cruel... Yesterday was acceptable, let's hope tomorrow will turn in my favor.

Wazzy

Banned
Farming is going well especially since I'm not even aiming for specific orbs, just wanting plenty of the greater and then I'll check out what I can hone.

I got up to the stage that's right after earning Red XIII and have just left the event alone until I finish Grenaldo farming.

B.K.

I did an 11 pull last night.

qhOWHT6.jpg

I wish I had gotten something besides Red XIII's relic weapon. It seems pretty useless. Can anyone other than Red and Tyro even equip hairpins?

Those armors, both of those swords, and that black spear are items I've never had before. I've had enough of those XIII bangles to make a 5* and still have an extra one left. I've made a 5* version of that spear, staff, harp, and I have two or three 5* Mythril Mails. The game loves giving me those things.

Roto13

Materia Keeper is weird. I use Aerith's Soul Break on it and the Stop icon appears for like a fraction of a second and then it's gone. Why not just say he's immune? :p

EDIT: Wow, screw this boss and his million HP. Why do so many bosses take a thousand years to go down recently? Is it so you'll spend mythril/money to avoid sitting through an hour of attrition again? I beat him but only got like six medals out of 18.

FireVoa

Materia Keeper is weird. I use Aerith's Soul Break on it and the Stop icon appears for like a fraction of a second and then it's gone. Why not just say he's immune? :p

EDIT: Wow, screw this boss and his million HP. Why do so many bosses take a thousand years to go down recently? Is it so you'll spend mythril/money to avoid sitting through an hour of attrition again? I beat him but only got like six medals out of 18.

Enjoy Jenova Elite. More like 2 Million HP and my first time missing a Mastery which pissed me off more than anything... No major orb for me :/

Falk

that puzzling face
Think they're talking about event version, which is slightly more buff than the painting version.

If HP bars make it in before it goes away I'll eat my shorts.

(Although there's a greater than zero chance that there will be a feature update before it ends)

Nohar

Since I wasn't able to master regular Jenova-BIRTH in the regular Elite painting, I'm not that confident that I'll be able to master this one... Not to mention I will have Sephiroth as a deadweight (yeah for 4*+ Maneater dagger~). I can certainly keep Jenova under the effect of Power Break for a long while, and I do have Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire, and the FFXII shield which grants Protect on everyone, but this battle is definitly going to take a while, and I'm not really looking forward to it. At all. Still will be more interesting than Norg.

So, team building: Tidus (regular SB for Slow), Cloud (with FFXII shield equipped; might want to use Retaliate for once), Sephiroth (only there for medals and Power Break - I hope he liked those Growth Eggs), Vivi (best Magic user... sadly he will run out of spells to cast before Jenova bites the dust), Tyro (healing spells Sentinel Grimoire, 'nuff said).
Which begs the question: which RW to bring? I guess Red XIII would be the best choice.

Falk

that puzzling face
To be honest, considering what a slog the boss is and the fact that you want to have as many ability uses as possible for it, retaliate for the trash alone is a good idea considering how economical it is.

Nohar

Well, Materia Keeper did a number on my team after using Trine. I didn't cast Sentinel Grimoire in time. Thanksfully no one died and I was able to kill it rather quickly afterwards, but it could have led to S/L. Sephiroth was able to Poison it early, so it helped tremendously to kill it. Got Mastery.

... Yeah, Jenova will wait (she has less defense than the Materia Keeper, but with roughly 200k HP and no poison vulnerability...). I will farm Black orbs instead today: I just realized I didn't have any left (wanted to hone Comet).

I will not even attempt Jenova Elite (even though I have average party LVL 45: 50, 50, 45, 45, 45) until THEY PATCH IN HP BARS.

I demand HP bars to be in!

Since I wasn't able to master regular Jenova-BIRTH in the regular Elite painting, I'm not that confident that I'll be able to master this one... Not to mention I will have Sephiroth as a deadweight (yeah for 4*+ Maneater dagger~). I can certainly keep Jenova under the effect of Power Break for a long while, and I do have Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire, and the FFXII shield which grants Protect on everyone, but this battle is definitly going to take a while, and I'm not really looking forward to it. At all. Still will be more interesting than Norg.

So, team building: Tidus (regular SB for Slow), Cloud (with FFXII shield equipped; might want to use Retaliate for once), Sephiroth (only there for medals and Power Break - I hope he liked those Growth Eggs), Vivi (best Magic user... sadly he will run out of spells to cast before Jenova bites the dust), Tyro (healing spells Sentinel Grimoire, 'nuff said).
Which begs the question: which RW to bring? I guess Red XIII would be the best choice.

I told you guys how to beat Jenova.

I'm in to deep and want to quit playing this game so badly. I've invested to much time and money into it. I simply can't just stop because I feel so invested. It keeps me up at night to make sure I spend stamina. It keeps making me want to roll the dice for better equipment. I don't even feel accomplished although I've completed almost every single task. It's taking away my time to play other more deserving video games. Record Keeper is a serious horror of mobile gaming and even realizing this, I can't stop now.

I just beat the Elite Jenova in the newest event and holy shit this game is so terribly designed that I don't even understand why the hell I keep at it. The fact that closing the app and reopening it is the only viable way to set up a successful victory is horribly broken. The ATB being completely random is the largest issue here. It's inherently flawed because on one attempt you'll get an enemy to kill your key party member instantly. Or on another try of closing and opening the app you'll get your party members to start with none of their active time bars filled. It's a joke of a game mechanic. You all know this though.

What's freaking insane to me though, are the stupid high HP numbers these bosses are pulling in all of the latest content. Unless you're hitting 9999 on each attack you're in for a long, long battle. Guess what everyone needs to resort to? A seriously broken bug known as Vit 0. It's insane that unless you've rolled 5 star equipment specific to that stage for the synergy bonus, you're simply outmatched. I get that the hardest content must be for the top 1% of the player base, but damn the developers for forcing the arbitrary numbers game. Again, you all know this. I think tonight had just been a tipping point for me. I needed to rant. If I could turn back time I would've never started this game. Fml. What a waste of my life.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly none of that bugs me as much as the fact that their account management is a huge mess and everyone essentially has a ticking time bomb strapped to their front, in the sense that if anything happens to your data, or if you do something stupid like lose your phone without the data transfer/backup feature, or accidentally overwrite your data with a friend's because the google play linking is based on logic from Mars, you are essentially shit out of luck regardless of if you spent $0 or $3,000.

Honestly none of that bugs me as much as the fact that their account management is a huge mess and everyone essentially has a ticking time bomb strapped to their front, in the sense that if anything happens to your data, or if you do something stupid like lose your phone without the data transfer/backup feature, or accidentally overwrite your data with a friend's because the google play linking is based on Martian logic, you are essentially shit out of luck, regardless of if you spent $0 or $3,000.

That's actually incredibly frightening but if I ever lost my account to something stupid like that I'd feel liberated.

Frankly, you probably should stop to play altogether. You also may have a serious case of Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Just stop if you want. You have no obligation to keep playing. You definitly don't need to spend money for a game. Better cut your losses now than become a whale.

That psychological phenomenon is definitely how I've been feeling towards Record Keeper. It's the reason I can't quit even though I absolutely know I should. Really, really terrible feeling. Sigh. I'll be honest here because I think if I get this off my chest I'll feel better, but I've dropped $200 on this "game" and it's making me sick. I can't walk away because I'll feel like I've thrown money in the garbage. I mean, I already feel like I threw money in the trash but at least I can keep touching it and looking at it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honest question. Don't take this the wrong way, but would you have felt any different if you'd rolled a OWA?

Just trying to understand better where you're coming from.

Honest question. Don't take this the wrong way, but would you have felt any different if you'd rolled a OWA?

Just trying to understand better where you're coming from.

Lol! I honestly think that even if I had rolled a OWA I would still feel this way. Even if I rolled every single 5 star relic in the game they wouldn't have felt earned. There's a truly empty feeling I get no matter how "successful" I've been in Record Keeper.

I believe the simple RPG mechanics just aren't powerful enough to satisfy me. The nostalgia is what first drew me into the game due to my love for the final fantasy series. Just reliving the battles felt great at first, but the rest of the game isn't making me very excited to play it any more :(

SunGod

Guess what everyone needs to resort to? A seriously broken bug known as Vit 0. It's insane that unless you've rolled 5 star equipment specific to that stage for the synergy bonus, you're simply outmatched.

Speak for yourself. Plenty of people have cleared all of the content in this game without using the vit0 bug, spending any money or getting incredibly lucky with equipment draws.

Sorry you feel the way you do, but as others have said it looks like you should just stop playing the game.

I haven't vito'd anything in this game. I've used the retalliate trick and S/L but otherwise have played a fair game. I've been clearing content left and right except for the Phoenix Cave boss which I didn't even attempt. Sometimes have to use a mythril for boss, but as of lately I haven't. This game is pretty fair but there's not enough difficult content I'd say or enough content...I'm quite bored between events. The drop rates are still horrible. One 5* item in like 40 draws....2.5%. I've been robbed.

Falk

that puzzling face
Or at least take a break for a while to get some perspective. You might find you actually miss some aspects of the game not related to having invested time and resources into it.

Vorpal

That psychological phenomenon is definitely how I've been feeling towards Record Keeper.

Speaking of dumb things that brains do, staying up late/having sleep deprivation can affect your reasoning when it comes to spending money/gambling:

"When sleep-deprived people prepare to make economic decisions, the brain's reward center in the prefrontal cortex lights up, suggesting they expect to win (e.g., make money). But when risky choices don't pan out, people's brain activity decreases in the region related to punishment and aversion (the anterior insula), suggesting they don't care about losing money as much as they would on a good night's sleep."

So don't start doing relic pulls late at night! That's what I've had to tell myself, anyway.

Really though, I would try jumping into a new/different game you're interested in and just having fun with that for a while. I've gone days where all I do is collect login bonuses and maybe run a daily once because I'm heavy into a different game. Definitely preferable to the "I have to spend all of my stamina always oh god" mindset I had at first.

Pejo

So I just read that on the JP version, they buffed Aerith to 5* summons and gave Red XIII access to knives....not sure that makes a huge difference, unless there's a dagger that has a ton of MAG stat.

Balphon

I had a little trouble with Materia Keeper since I didn't look at his resistances before the fight. Vivi spent most of the time standing there with 8 useless casts of Firaga.

I could've used that 70000 lost damage. Probably should have brought blind and poison too.

Noi

So I haven't played this at all since before the Squall event dropped. A huge part of the reason is due to Heavensward coming out, but admittedly I'd been growing increasingly tired of the same event loops and patterns to beating new stuff. I still haven't done all but two chapters in the FF8 event.

Seeing the OWA event pop up, I figured I may as well gamble. 50 Mythril, one 11 pull. If DENA want me to keep plugging away at this, I'd have to get some incentive to do so.

I pull the trigger. Seven 3*, two 4*, two 5*. I want to keep the suspense going, so I let the relics pop one by one. For a moment, I thought that the game had finally given me a break after taunting me with these things for so long.

It was an Edencoat and a Minotaur plate. Not only did I get shafted on yet another 5* relic without a unique SB, I got a 5* from the completely wrong banner. One that would have abysmally low chances of dropping.

I'm just gonna growth egg my Vivi RW to 60 and take an extended break from the game. Clearly I've found better things to do than spend so much time on this. You guys have been great though, so I wanted to post some form of notice at least. Good luck on your future relic pulls, you'll clearly need them.

Ashodin

Man so many people burned on not getting the SB weapons. It's not the end of the world if you don't get them. You may desire them but ultimately they're unnecessary to beat the content. Strategy has always been able to overtake any boss. And I say this as a guy who uses Vit 0. You don't need to use tricks like that to beat bosses, like the 5*, it just makes it faster. You have to be patient and determined, like any boss in the original games.

Roto13

Enjoy Jenova Elite. More like 2 Million HP and my first time missing a Mastery which pissed me off more than anything... No major orb for me :/

I'm not even going to try it.

That psychological phenomenon is definitely how I've been feeling towards Record Keeper. It's the reason I can't quit even though I absolutely know I should. Really, really terrible feeling. Sigh. I'll be honest here because I think if I get this off my chest I'll feel better, but I've dropped $200 on this "game" and it's making me sick. I can't walk away because I'll feel like I've thrown money in the garbage. I mean, I already feel like I threw money in the trash but at least I can keep touching it and looking at it.

Stop putting "game" in quotation marks. And if you're going to keep playing a game that has apparently ruined your life, you could at least go complain about it somewhere else.

Razmos

So I haven't played this at all since before the Squall event dropped. A huge part of the reason is due to Heavensward coming out, but admittedly I'd been growing increasingly tired of the same event loops and patterns to beating new stuff. I still haven't done all but two chapters in the FF8 event.

Seeing the OWA event pop up, I figured I may as well gamble. 50 Mythril, one 11 pull. If DENA want me to keep plugging away at this, I'd have to get some incentive to do so.

I pull the trigger. Seven 3*, two 4*, two 5*. I want to keep the suspense going, so I let the relics pop one by one. For a moment, I thought that the game had finally given me a break after taunting me with these things for so long.

It was an Edencoat and a Minotaur plate. Not only did I get shafted on yet another 5* relic without a unique SB, I got a 5* from the completely wrong banner. One that would have abysmally low chances of dropping.

I'm just gonna growth egg my Vivi RW to 60 and take an extended break from the game. Clearly I've found better things to do than spend so much time on this. You guys have been great though, so I wanted to post some form of notice at least. Good luck on your future relic pulls, you'll clearly need them.
The Edincoat is awesome though. It gives 40 Attack, Magic and Mind with synergy, AND good defense.

Pretty sure if I got that I would never unequip it.

Roto13

Yeah, that's not a relic to be displeased with. :p But it's not going to make the game any fresher if you're tired of it so whatever. Gotta stop playing sometime.

Noi

Man so many people burned on not getting the SB weapons. It's not the end of the world if you don't get them. You may desire them but ultimately they're unnecessary to beat the content. Strategy has always been able to overtake any boss. And I say this as a guy who uses Vit 0. You don't need to use tricks like that to beat bosses, like the 5*, it just makes it faster. You have to be patient and determined, like any boss in the original games.

That's really not the point. I'm already armed to the tooth with combined three and four star weapons, as well as a crap ton of four and five star armor (Two Genji Armors, one helm and shield, one regal gown and now the two from above). I could breeze through stuff like the FF5 elite realms while being were saying they were too hard. The only fights I'd say were difficult were the final dungeons for events, but even that changed once we got record materia and level breaking to 65.

It's more that at this point, I've plateaued in terms of equipment progression unless the game chooses to be nice to me and gives me something worth using. I don't particularly care that I didn't get OWA specifically, its a long running nuisance that I've been playing the game since it launched and have yet to get a five star general use melee weapon. When I do get lucky, it's all incredibly fringe stuff that I have to bring specific characters in order to use them at all. I'm just going through the motions of using the same characters with the same strategies to beat things, only without the flair of the cool looking unique SB because I wasn't allowed to have any.

I had my fun with the game. I'm definitely not in the camp of people that think its bad in the least, I love Record Keeper. I just don't like feeling stuck in terms of progression and not being able to do anything about it except sit on my bum and hope for the best. I already spend enough of my time playing an MMO for that. :p

It isn't the end of the world if you can't 100% all of the available content. As much as you may want a Touph Ring it might not be worth the torture of elite Jenova.

It should be noted that until EX+ and EX++ difficulty events happen the ends of events are going to be a really rough time (as they are intended to be the absolute peak of difficulty*) and only really viable with 5* synergy.

Hearing of normal enemies with 5k-7k HP at the end of elite Shinra means I probably won't go further than whatever one gives the 2 greater earth orbs (I really want those).

*-I think this may be a similar reason to why Vargas is so hard compared to the rest of the FFVI realm stuff. There was one point in early on in the game when that was the end point. Plus the elite dungeon rebalncing was based off difficulty level numbers and that stuff is really high so didn't have as much nerfing.

Roto13

Hearing of normal enemies with 5k-7k HP at the end of elite Shinra means I probably won't go further than whatever one gives the 2 greater earth orbs (I really want those).

The second last dungeon doesn't have a boss so, even though the enemies have a lot of HP, it's not hard at all to master if you just go HAM with your offensive abilities. Treat it like a heroic daily, basically.

Negator

I would highly reccommend rolling on all the FF7 banners. A shitload of hard story dungeons and event dungeons involve FF7, so it's always valuable. There are way more FF7 events than any other FF in RK.

Raika

F2P here, decided to do an 11 pull for the One Winged Angel.

1 rainbow orb, let's see...

One Winged Angel

asdfghjklpoiuytrewqzxcvbnmimkjnhbgtfczdeqsxthbnop

MicH

Oh my GOD YES

I finally got Zealot to drop :D Time to kick Bard out of the party for good.

So what is the strategy behind Zealot? What is the best way to use it?

So what is the strategy behind Zealot? What is the best way to use it?
I've not got it myself but I imagine any time multi-target is useful also applies here.

An obvious example is when your 3 guys can't one shot enemies but can two shot them. Zelaot should allow to take 2 enemies down with 3 normal actions. Later parts of elite events would be an example of when this happens.

I hear against single target bosses you can dodge the attack drop by using skills instead. I don't know if the attack drop effect is also negated during retailiate as it does not use the attack command (apparently it isn't using berserk and berserk does turn into single target :( )

Xetherion

Zealot only has 2 uses so far: auto battling trash that is low level enough to be OHKO by it, and keeping the orbs blue in the elite Norg fight. Otherwise don't use it, it only does about 60% of normal damage. Retaliate and other skills still do full damage, just the regular Attack command does the lower damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom