• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

Vivi is, though his crystal is not.

Oh yeah, I forgot you can get him from the regular dungeons.

I went ahead and used growth eggs to get her up to 16. I also got a pretty decent 3* whip for her from a relic draw, so that's nice. I think she's overall better than my Black Mage now.

Only have three more Squall event dungeons to go. Barring NORG kicking my ass, I think I'll be able to get it done.

EDIT: Speaking of that, any advice for normal NORG? Since I'm going to have to use mythril to refill my stamina to even fight him, I'd rather not lose to him. :lol All the strats I can find seem to be for Elite NORG.

That's because Elite Norg is an asshole. :p He's a lot easier on Classic. He's weak to wind once you manage to get him out of his shell, but it's probably ok if you don't have any wind attacks yet. The shell has high defense so bring Armor and Mental Break if you have them. Always always always make sure the orbs on either side are at yellow or blue. Do not let them turn red, whatever you do. Smack 'em to reset 'em.

I don't know if you know about this trick, but if you quit the app in the middle of a battle, you can open it again and go back to the start of whatever round you were on without spending any more stamina. Feel free to do this if things go horribly wrong with Norg.

Last 3 Elite dungeons to do (VII) and then maybe Event Jenova. Not looking forward to these ones.

Got 50 Mythril saved but might keep it for another new banner. Not so fussed over Sephy and Red.

Thinking I might be done with the game. I logged in at the beginning of the Red XIII event and did three 11 pulls. 2 were with mythril and the other was with some gems i had been holding for a long time. I got some 5* items, but nothing with a Soul Break.

Not really interested in waiting around for months to get the relics I want only to be disappointed. The whole point of a p2w system is that people who like to spend money (and trust me, i will open my wallet for these games, for better or worse) can get what they want.

The banner system is garbage and if they want my money they need to kill it and go to a constant 2 tier system: boosted rate 5* items and non boosted rate 5* items. Everything in the non boosted pool needs to have the same rate

the other issue is that I've been in an area with little to no internet connectivity in the middle of nowhere for the past 3 weeks and it makes it hard to play. So some days I haven't been able to log in at all, and it's made me a little detached.

Falk

that puzzling face
Dem troops are dropping like flies cap'n.

edit@edit: Well, that's the problem with mobile business models, especially for new/popular games. You don't target the middle class. You target the whales. For every 100 people who 'might have' spent $5 on a more guaranteed system, you have one of these guys who would have spent a LOT less than $800 if he'd pulled what he wanted earlier on.

That's just the unfortunate way things happen. It's not so much money they lose from you as much as it is money they gain from the truly crazy people out there. The only time it changes is when the whales start drying up, or when a significant fraction of people start leaving (which then leads to whales losing interest too, since community, etc) and then you see small bones starting to get thrown in an effort to retain players.

Sucks, but it's a general pattern that's been proven to make the most money time and time again for gacha apps in an environment with all classes of income represented. Pretty sure DeNA have analysts monitoring spending trends like a hawk. It's a business, after all. One they have a decade of experience in.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so Oilboyle is wrecking my shit super hard and I'm pretty sure I'm just not properly equipped to beat it (well, them). How the hell do I back out of a dungeon so I can change my equips? Am I just stuck in here until I beat it?

EDIT: Never mind, found the retreat option.

Falk

that puzzling face
You'd have to redo the whole dungeon from the start. You can either flee (pause menu) and then retreat, or just KO everyone and not continue.

You'd have to pay the stam cost of all the battles up to Oilboyles again, of course.

edit: o

Dem troops are dropping like flies cap'n.

That's just the unfortunate way things happen. It's not so much money they lose from you as much as it is money they gain from the truly crazy people out there. The only time it changes is when the whales start drying up, or when a significant fraction of people start leaving (which then leads to whales losing interest too, since community, etc) and then you see small bones starting to get thrown in an effort to retain players.

Thing is, I'm speaking as a whale. Sure, there are people worse than me, but I'm pretty sure I'm still in the category. And I'm not convinced that this is the best business model.

They're banking on people sticking around long term and blowing tons of cash on these limited time events, but that's only the best strategy if the people actually stick around.

Whales are known for being impulsive, which means that if they aren't feeling the impulse during a particular event, they'll just do nothing. They're literally throwing away opportunities to receive money, because they're relying on TWO conditions to be true:

1) The machine has to have something the person wants
2) The person has to have the impulse to spend big.

By eliminating this shit banner system, they only need 1 condition to be true: namely, that the person has the impulse. Because everything will always be in the machine.

Furthermore, it softens the disappointment of a failed pull, because you'll know it will still be there later.

To pour salt in the wound, since the banner rates have become public information, people can see the exact odds of getting things, and it's more clear than ever that they intentionally shit on you by filling the machine with easy to get 5* items that nobody gives a shit about. They had some units like that in PAD back in the day when i whaled over there and they eventually removed them because they realized how offensive it was to players.

SunGod

I joined the cool club
VzmKPFOl.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, I'm back up to Oilboyle. Only problem is, my white mage got hit with Silence, and the whole crux of my strategy this time was to silence Oilboyle, but I can't now. Am I kinda screwed into using a mythril to get rid of Silence, or is there another way?

MicH

Alright, I'm back up to Oilboyle. Only problem is, my white mage got hit with Silence, and the whole crux of my strategy this time was to silence Oilboyle, but I can't now. Am I kinda screwed into using a mythril to get rid of Silence, or is there another way?
When something bad happens close the app and reopen it. That way it starts the fight over without using extra stamina

forgrim

I found norg to be way easier than the oilboyles. Norg actually vit0d himself unintentionally when I status reeled him and he protected himself.

If u have zealot, one person auto attacking the entire time makes it pZOFcake

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thinking I might be done with the game. I logged in at the beginning of the Red XIII event and did three 11 pulls. 2 were with mythril and the other was with some gems i had been holding for a long time. I got some 5* items, but nothing with a Soul Break.

Not really interested in waiting around for months to get the relics I want only to be disappointed. The whole point of a p2w system is that people who like to spend money (and trust me, i will open my wallet for these games, for better or worse) can get what they want.

The banner system is garbage and if they want my money they need to kill it and go to a constant 2 tier system: boosted rate 5* items and non boosted rate 5* items. Everything in the non boosted pool needs to have the same rate

the other issue is that I've been in an area with little to no internet connectivity in the middle of nowhere for the past 3 weeks and it makes it hard to play. So some days I haven't been able to log in at all, and it's made me a little detached.

Reddit is filled with posts like this. Tbh, I think people are placing too much emphasis on gear, and I've been saying that for months. It's not the same in FFRK as spending money in other games where you are trying to get certain characters. Here, they basically gift you every single character, and they give you more than enough gear/free gems to complete the content. So, there's really no NEED to have certain items, other than just to have them. The 5*s are strong, sure, but they aren't necessary.

In other games I've played like this, whether it's PAD, Brave Frontier, etc, there were always units that people simply had to have because they were necessary to complete the content in an efficient manner (i.e., w/o spending money). That's just not the case in RK, which is fantastic and I applaud Square/Dena.

The banner system does suck, but I'm okay with it because I have all the characters. Just imagine the rage if we had to spend money in order to get the characters. Imagine spending $100 or whatever and still not getting Sephiroth or Cloud or Vivi.

Reddit is filled with posts like this. Tbh, I think people are placing too much emphasis on gear, and I've been saying that for months. It's not the same in FFRK as spending money in other games where you are trying to get certain characters. Here, they basically gift you every single character, and they give you more than enough gear/free gems to complete the content. So, there's really no NEED to have certain items, other than just to have them. The 5*s are strong, sure, but they aren't necessary.

In other games I've played like this, whether it's PAD, Brave Frontier, etc, there were always units that people simply had to have because they were necessary to complete the content in an efficient manner (i.e., w/o spending money). That's just not the case in RK, which is fantastic and I applaud Square/Dena.

The banner system does suck, but I'm okay with it because I have all the characters. Just imagine the rage if we had to spend money in order to get the characters. Imagine spending $100 or whatever and still not getting Sephiroth or Cloud or Vivi.

I agree, it's not *just* the banner system. That's why i said originally that was only about 50% of the reason. The other is just that i've had a few extended forced breaks from the game due to poor internet, and these type of games are only as successful as they are addictive. Being away for a while kills the addiction, and then the shitty loot system is just the nail in the coffin.

On the other hand, I would argue that gear is more important than characters. Most of the characters are garbage anyway, so gear is really important.

lyrick

Can't beat Norg elite :(

Just did it this morning My setup:
RW doesn't matter

My strat:
- keep reflect on Norg (to prevent his shell, protect crap)
- use zealot attack every round, except when an opening for retaliate presents itself
- cure as needed
- keep the breaks active to prevent the 1 shot

a lot of my 5* gear could be swapped with the event gear, without too much lost
Mage was needed due to death, but could have been replaced w/ another attacker
took 15ish minutes @ speed 1.

looking for ideas for the Ex battle now

My biggest complaint with the relic system isn't the poor rare rate but the extreme realm imbalance in 3 and 4 star items. I think regular folks would have less of a problem with the mechanics if they had a smattering of 3++s from outside the events for the later releasped dungeons.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I agree, it's not *just* the banner system. That's why i said originally that was only about 50% of the reason. The other is just that i've had a few extended forced breaks from the game due to poor internet, and these type of games are only as successful as they are addictive. Being away for a while kills the addiction, and then the shitty loot system is just the nail in the coffin.

On the other hand, I would argue that gear is more important than characters. Most of the characters are garbage anyway, so gear is really important.

In terms of completing content, I would agree that, all things considered, the characters are pretty interchangeable. I could use Tidus or Seph or Cloud or Kain and it wouldn't be much different. But in terms of playing and enjoying the game, not being able to get some characters would enrage people to no end.

I also agree that not being able to play can definitely curb your desire to continue. There are some games I'm super into but then I miss a day or two because of life, and then I find myself just giving up completely. Then I wonder how I could spend so much time on those games in the first place! :)

Jenova elite event mastered. No mythril, no vito. Took many save loads but accomplished.

Just heading in there. Too late to change abilities but what worked for you? Trash mobs I've gotten through without any problems. But Jenova seems tanky and quite tough.

Edit: I meant the dungeon but share tips for event plz.

Finally got those event elite Oilboyles down. Tidus was KOd in the process, Sleep blade worked 0 times (out of 4) and silencega once or twice and I didn't feel like S/L. Power break and sentential are the important bits here. 7 medals lost which I think is the max you can lose for champion there (4 of those were due to Tidus).

Boss rush open and ehh I'll do a few more bits of the Jenova event.

My biggest complaint with the relic system isn't the poor rare rate but the extreme realm imbalance in 3 and 4 star items. I think regular folks would have less of a problem with the mechanics if they had a smattering of 3++s from outside the events for the later releasped dungeons.
Exactly and pulling isn't attractive here as the system deliberately has an overabundance of 3* and 4* specifically to make it harder to ++ them (as otherwise those rare 5*s might not be so hot). Why else does FFXII need to have three 3* staffs? This does have the affect of 3* gear being too valuable to trash but ultimately clogging your inventory and rarely being used.

Just heading in there. Too late to change abilities but what worked for you? Trash mobs I've gotten through without any problems. But Jenova seems tanky and quite tough.

Edit: I meant the dungeon but share tips for event plz.

Pictures!!!

Retalliate was huge. Mastered the first 3 stages. 27/27. Lost 4 stars on boss, 2 on action, 2 on damage.

Unlike the story elite...I took off brainwash and just gave Cloud sword materia. Seemed to be doing just about the same amount of damage, 3000 with buster.

Used 1/2 retaliates per stage on trash. Had 3 going into fight...started with 8. Had 8 legshots but didn't barely ever land. Tidus' soul break appears to always connect so that was very useful...slow target.

Had Tyro with healing grimoire...also very useful. Friend summon was sentinel's grimoire. Also very useful. I'd imagine you need both here. Think Sentinel's gives protectga while Red XIII only gives protect...so Sentinel is the one to bring if that's correct. Had him with chance of refresh white magic ability. WMRM1 Tyro had 8 curaja.

Tidus I kind of already explained. Think I had 1 double cut left...so I wasted 5 of his before the boss. His was recharge ability faster when using attack. His slow is very much needed.

Aeris at 60 RS has 20 mind and 1 def on Garnet...but Garnet has the materia slot which is more valuable. Curagas were at 12. Protectga or party protect or whatever it is was at 2 uses... Both she and Tyro I believe had full abilities going into the final round. Those restores are huge. I did cast Garnet's protectga on my teams in the trash rounds. With double cuts and retalliate killing mobs quick...I get it back at the end of the round.

Sephiroth was just an attacker. Like Tidus, he had 6 of his break, armor...Tidus had 6 power breaks. He had 4 double cuts to start...think he was empty by time of boss. Gave him regen materia I think...didn't see anything too useful to give him.

Had some heals left when the boss went down. The main thing is to just keep healing your team. I'd say the 2 important things on my team were Tidus' slow soulbreak and I think I only popped Tyro's mass heal once but that was also needed. His ability to wear armor is huge as well. I'd bring the exact same lineup I have. Hope you have Cloud or Sephiroth's main weapon. Should be doable. If you don't...well...good luck.

Looking at my pictures...Garnet didn't even have my 6 star judgment staff on...oopsies.

Agraavan

I'm gonna do an 11 roll tonight at rare draw. Considering I'm just starting the game, should I do it at the FFVII spin or at the FFVIII one? Which one have more valuable goodies?

Balphon

Had Tyro with healing grimoire...also very useful. Friend summon was sentinel's grimoire. Also very useful. I'd imagine you need both here. Think Sentinel's gives protectga while Red XIII only gives protect...so Sentinel is the one to bring if that's correct. Had him with chance of refresh white magic ability. WMRM1 Tyro had 8 curaja.

Just an fyi, Protect & Protectga double the defense stat and the Sentinel soul break is a damage reduction effect (all damage reduced by 60%) that will apply on top of the protect effect. They stack and are not mutually exclusive.

I'm gonna do an 11 roll tonight at rare draw. Considering I'm just starting the game, should I do it at the FFVII spin or at the FFVIII one? Which one have more valuable goodies?

The 7 banner has the better set of limited availability (i.e. 5* rarity) rewards, though what you will actually get is as always up to luck.

Protectga just applies Protect to the whole team, right? So it wouldn't stack with Protect?

Also, would it target all enemies when doing VIT0? That would be useful w/ Deprotectga on Multi-Part bosses or ones w/ Adds.

Agraavan

Just an fyi, Protect & Protectga double the defense stat and the Sentinel soul break is a damage reduction effect (all damage reduced by 60%) that will apply on top of the protect effect. They stack and are not mutually exclusive.

The 7 banner has the better set of limited availability (i.e. 5* rarity) rewards, though what you will actually get is as always up to luck.

Yeah, I get that, I just want to improve my chances picking the banner with either better odds of 5* or better potential rewards quality-wise.

Balphon

Yeah, I get that, I just want to improve my chances picking the banner with either better odds of 5* or better potential rewards quality-wise.

I believe the odds are consistent between banners (65% 3*, 25% 4*, 10% 5*), as are the available 3* and 4* stuff, so you'd only have to be concerned with the "marquee" 5* items.

Macnair

I'm quiting. Who wants my account?

I need to stop playing since it's eating a lot of my time.

I have a Valkyrie, Full Metal Staff and a 7* Judgement Staff.

I don't need anything in return. Just love my Rinoa :(

Wazzy

Banned
Geez people are quitting every day now.

Anyway still loving Grenaldo farming. I'll keep at it until event is over and then see what abilities I can hone or create.

I'm stuck on the final battle of the boss rush with pretty low resources; I am (fairly?) confident I could win with a refresh but I could also die out and try another strategy.

Probably better to get it over with, eh?

Geez people are quitting every day now.

Anyway still loving Grenaldo farming. I'll keep at it until event is over and then see what abilities I can hone or create.
The Jenova event has hit hard. My Seph still only has a knife, his one true friend.

Granaldo is being stingy today in my game. I don't need another pair of Sonic Knuckles. >_<

Leviathan get. Hopefully it was worth the Mythril.

Power Breakdown, not so much? I haven't even started the Elite section of the VII event.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not me. Granaldo packs up in 24 hours. Sephiroth ends 6 days after that. Balthier ends (presumably) a few days after that. Barring something like dungeons dropping in the middle of it that's plenty of time to catch up and the 4*/stam ratio for Granaldos is still too good.

Worst case I burn a couple of Mythril on stam refreshes if the two events are about to go away and I haven't finished, but I don't see that happening.

Roto13

I wasn't expecting the next event so soon. Really looking forward to it, though. Hope I can get Balthier's weapon from the relic pull. Been sitting on some mythril for it.

Power Breakdown for the boss gauntlet is not enough. It's just 5 greater power orbs and three each greater non-elemental and lightning orbs. I got more than 3 greater lightning orbs just from casually farming the daily today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom