• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicH

I guess I should finally try to beat Norg Elite now, but I don't have the Death ability. What's the best way to go about this?(alternatively: what's the best place to farm two Greater Ice Orbs so I can craft Death?)

Roto13

Zealot only has 2 uses so far: auto battling trash that is low level enough to be OHKO by it, and keeping the orbs blue in the elite Norg fight. Otherwise don't use it, it only does about 60% of normal damage. Retaliate and other skills still do full damage, just the regular Attack command does the lower damage.

There are a few group bosses that it's useful for. Like Ba'Gamnan and Friends, and those four Seeqs in the XII Elites.

I guess I should finally try to beat Norg Elite now, but I don't have the Death ability. What's the best way to go about this?(alternatively: what's the best place to farm two Greater Ice Orbs so I can craft Death?)

Alternatively, he's vulnerable to Gravity. That's more reliable (it doesn't miss, as far as I know) but it won't one-shot him.

Xetherion

There are a few group bosses that it's useful for. Like Ba'Gamnan and Friends, and those four Seeqs in the XII Elites.

I haven't done those elites yet, but unless there's a reason to want to hit all of them like there is with Norg and his orbs, I think I'd rather focus one target down at a time than use the reduced damage of zealot. If a boss has minions I want to clear i'd use Quake and Bladeblitz for aoe.

Roto13

I haven't done those elites yet, but unless there's a reason to want to hit all of them like there is with Norg and his orbs, I think I'd rather focus one target down at a time than use the reduced damage of zealot. If a boss has minions I want to clear i'd use Quake and Bladeblitz for aoe.

They're all pretty meaty and it's ultimately more efficient to do 60% damage times 4 than 100% times one. Bladeblitz and Quake alone won't be enough unless you've honed them like crazy and you can still focus on one at a time with the other three or four characters.

Xetherion

They're all pretty meaty and it's ultimately more efficient to do 60% damage times 4 than 100% times one. Bladeblitz and Quake alone won't be enough unless you've honed them like crazy and you can still focus on one at a time with the other three or four characters.

Oh it would definitely be more efficient to do 60% x4 than 100% x1. But I would rather have that attacker using an ability on a single target to do 200% or more (spellblade hitting vulnerability for instance) in order to focus down one target more quickly.

Got 3 Greater Orbs from 1 battle of Granaldo. So happy! So out of 3 attempts on him, I got 4 Greater Orbs in total and 1 crappy 2* weapon. Very good drop rate from that at least anyways.

Just Jenova Elite to do. Looks ridiculous going off the comments. Trash mobs are very powerful and hit hard now, so it's going to be a pain getting to the boss in decent condition. The 2nd last boss, Materia Keeper, had way too much HP with no real vulnerability which didn't help. Couldn't even land 6 attempts at intimidate on him. So if that was tricky then Jenova is just going to be a complete bitch.

Maybe back to finishing off Elite dungeons for now and go back to Jenova in a few days.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey everyone, new player here. Just a quick question: It's probably not possible for me to complete the Squall event with 32 max stamina before it ends, huh? I'm gonna try to get Irvine, at the very least, but with dungeons already starting to require 13 stamina, I doubt I'll get much further than that (without paying at least, which I don't plan on doing).

Roto13

Hey everyone, new player here. Just a quick question: It's probably not possible for me to complete the Squall event with 32 max stamina before it ends, huh? I'm gonna try to get Irvine, at the very least, but with dungeons already starting to require 13 stamina, I doubt I'll get much further than that (without paying at least, which I don't plan on doing).

Well, you have a few days. If you play it whenever your stamina is full (accounting for stuff like sleep :p) you can probably at least get Squall. It's worth using mythril for stamina refreshes if you don't have him by the time it's down to the wire. It'll be a while before you have another chance to get him. You might have to put those growth eggs to use to be strong enough.

Realm dungeons should be spitting out 2-3 stamina shards still at that point and every 5 shards gives you +1 max stamina and a refill. It is about maximising what you do so you get that refill when you are on about 0 stamina.

If you really get desperate throw down some mythril on stamina refills but try to do this as late as possible as otherwise you could waste mythril on something you don't need.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, you have a few days. If you play it whenever your stamina is full (accounting for stuff like sleep :p) you can probably at least get Squall. It's worth using mythril for stamina refreshes if you don't have him by the time it's down to the wire. It'll be a while before you have another chance to get him. You might have to put those growth eggs to use to be strong enough.

What would the recommended level be for the later dungeons?

Also where do I buy stamina refills? It may have been covered in the tutorials but to be honest I was super tired while I was going through all that and kinda only half paid attention. :lol

Realm dungeons should be spitting out 2-3 stamina shards still at that point and every 5 shards gives you +1 max stamina and a refill. It is about maximising what you do so you get that refill when you are on about 0 stamina.

If you really get desperate throw down some mythril on stamina refills but try to do this as late as possible as otherwise you could waste mythril on something you don't need.

I've already done a decent number of realm dungeons. I...think they might still be giving stamina shards? I'd have to check, heh.

Roto13

What would the recommended level be for the later dungeons?

Also where do I buy stamina refills? It may have been covered in the tutorials but to be honest I was super tired while I was going through all that and kinda only half paid attention. :lol

I'm not sure how strong you'll have to be for those dungeons. I've been burning through that kind of thing for months. :p These events are designed so that characters are pretty easy to get even if you haven't been playing for that long.

When you try to enter a floor without enough stamina, it'll ask if you want to spend mythril or "gems" (money) to refill your stamina. Definitely don't spend money on it.

Agraavan

I'm just starting and I have a few questions:

How long is the duration of "Retaliate"? Until Next Fight? Until next action by the character (like Guard/Defense)? A set amount of time?
If I activate "Retaliate", do I have to click the "Retaliator" a single time in order to set "him" as the target? A single time with each character? Every time I want to attack "him"?
How soon can I try to get Sephiroth at the Event Quest? I managed to get Red XIII already.
How soon can I try to get Irvine and whoever else is there at the Event Quest? I got my ass handed to me by Archaeosaur who just would not die even with the barrage of attacks I kept dealing.

Right now I'm just doing the main missions and the easy/normal Daily Quests with Keeper/Cloud/Kain/Wakka/Rydia at around level 17 to gather 50 Mythrils and leaving it at auto is enough to plow through everything, but soon I'll have to start diversifying my approach.

Roto13

I'm just starting and I have a few questions:

How long is the duration of "Retaliate"? Until Next Fight? Until next action by the character (like Guard/Defense)? A set amount of time?
If I activate "Retaliate", do I have to click the "Retaliator" a single time in order to set "him" as the target? A single time with each character? Every time I want to attack "him"?
How soon can I try to get Sephiroth at the Event Quest? I managed to get Red XIII already.
How soon can I try to get Irvine and whoever else is there at the Event Quest? I got my ass handed to me by Archaeosaur who just would not die even with the barrage of attacks I kept dealing.

Right now I'm just doing the main missions and the easy/normal Daily Quests with Keeper/Cloud/Kain/Wakka/Rydia at around level 17 to gather 50 Mythrils and leaving it at auto is enough to plow through everything, but soon I'll have to start diversifying my approach.

Retaliate lasts a set amount of time. (About two "rounds" I think). Yes, you'll have to manually target your own party member every time you want to attack them.

You're going to want to do the Final Fantasy VIII event before the VII one, since that ends in a couple of days.

Ashodin

Tell people that 5* relics don't matter

TRY TO BRING HOPE THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO PULL THEM

"Oh while I'm in the light box, let's pull one"

L0YsRiLl.png

image.php

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, looking at the wiki, I'm almost definitely going to have to burn through some mythril to get Squall. Last two dungeons have a total stamina cost of far more than my current maximum. Damn.

Roto13

Yeah, looking at the wiki, I'm almost definitely going to have to burn through some mythril to get Squall. Last two dungeons have a total stamina cost of far more than my current maximum. Damn.

Can you play it for a few minutes now and then during the day? Your maximum stamina only really has an effect on how much you have after stretches where you can't use it right away. 30 stamina takes about 90 minutes to completely refill.

Agraavan

Retaliate lasts a set amount of time. (About two "rounds" I think). Yes, you'll have to manually target your own party member every time you want to attack them.

You're going to want to do the Final Fantasy VIII event before the VII one, since that ends in a couple of days.

I see, that sucks. I wish it had some kind of "last action record" for each char.

I'll try the FFVIII Dungeon again later, but do you think I stand a chance with the level I am right now or is it focused on more advanced players? Obviously I'm not talking about the Elite counterpart.

Roto13

I see, that sucks. I wish it had some kind of "last action record" for each char.

I'll try the FFVIII Dungeon again later, but do you think I stand a chance with the level I am right now or is it focused on more advanced players? Obviously I'm not talking about the Elite counterpart.

The Classic dungeons are designed so that fairly new players will still be able to get the characters, but if you're completely new to the game, it's possible you won't be able to make it all the way to Squall since the event is over in a few days. You earn Growth Eggs from the event, so definitely use those. You should at least be able to get Irvine by the time the event is over. You'll have another chance to get Squall at some point.

Agraavan

The Classic dungeons are designed so that fairly new players will still be able to get the characters, but if you're completely new to the game, it's possible you won't be able to make it all the way to Squall since the event is over in a few days. You earn Growth Eggs from the event, so definitely use those. You should at least be able to get Irvine by the time the event is over. You'll have another chance to get Squall at some point.
Awesome. Thanks.

Balphon

Between Irvine, Red XIII, and Sephiroth, the game sure is on quite the streak of handing out characters who are mostly useless without highly specialized equipment.

The oil boss in the FF VIII dungeon nearly one-shots every character, even Level 50+ with synced gear.

The difficulty curve in this game is pure trash.

The oil boss in the FF VIII dungeon nearly one-shots every character, even Level 50+ with synced gear.

The difficulty curve in this game is pure trash.
Silencga is your friend. Other than that just use a sentinel friend, which I have found has made more fights trivial than vit0.

Falk

that puzzling face
Silence only blocks the counter oil shot, they still have a regular one that hits just as hard.

In a real life situation, would you rather get shot in the face once every 10 seconds or four times every 10 seconds?

edit: GUYS I DID IT! I CRACKED THE CODE

2sNhBKs.png

Now, we know what the four loot tables for the Granaldo boss are.

1: {nothing, Bowgun XII, 3* Non-Elemental, 4* Non-Elemental}
2: {nothing, Mythril Spear VI, 3* Power, 4* Power}
3: {nothing, Chakram III, 3* Dark, 4* Dark}
4: {nothing, Sonic Knuckles III, 3* Wind, 4* Wind}

For example, if the boss drops a Mythril Spear, it will neither drop a 3* Power nor a 4* Power. It can't happen.

Now, armed with this knowledge you will finally be able to do the boss and not influence its drops whatsoever making this information completely useless but it's ok because you're now satisfied that you know the boss' loot secrets and can tell the boss "Ha ha, I know what combinations of loot you can't drop suckaaaa"

Also this information can be preserved for future generations when the event ends, meaning you'll be able to tell your grandchildren "Back in my day someone on an internet forum figured out the loot tables for a limited-time boss encounter and and it was awesome because after the event ended no one would ever be able to do so again" and they won't give half a shit!

Balphon

Sephiroth has the highest attack stat in the game....

Doesn't really matter when all I can give him is a knife. His ability set is meh at best.

I'd be better off with Squall, Tidus or even Luneth against Jenova. And most everything else, for that matter.

Roto13

Doesn't really matter when all I can give him is a knife. His ability set is meh at best.

I'd be better off with Squall, Tidus or even Luneth against Jenova. And most everything else, for that matter.

I guess if you're some filthy n00b who hasn't gotten three Danjuro's from a character banner.

Sentinel + Power Break + Protectga

Was able to heal through the counters because silence kept missing.
I guess I could give it another try, but seeing that there's another boss and the actual boss rush, I'm probably better off taking the "L" and moving on.

I'm like, one or so water orbs away from Leviathan anyway.

Road

With roaming warriors, it is a lot easier for someone who is starting the game to complete all the classic dungeons of events. Elites are another matter.

That's really not the point. I'm already armed to the tooth with combined three and four star weapons, as well as a crap ton of four and five star armor (Two Genji Armors, one helm and shield, one regal gown and now the two from above). I could breeze through stuff like the FF5 elite realms while being were saying they were too hard. The only fights I'd say were difficult were the final dungeons for events, but even that changed once we got record materia and level breaking to 65.

It's more that at this point, I've plateaued in terms of equipment progression unless the game chooses to be nice to me and gives me something worth using. I don't particularly care that I didn't get OWA specifically, its a long running nuisance that I've been playing the game since it launched and have yet to get a five star general use melee weapon. When I do get lucky, it's all incredibly fringe stuff that I have to bring specific characters in order to use them at all. I'm just going through the motions of using the same characters with the same strategies to beat things, only without the flair of the cool looking unique SB because I wasn't allowed to have any.

I had my fun with the game. I'm definitely not in the camp of people that think its bad in the least, I love Record Keeper. I just don't like feeling stuck in terms of progression and not being able to do anything about it except sit on my bum and hope for the best. I already spend enough of my time playing an MMO for that. :p

I understand your complaints. You can always grind for new abilities and new characters but there's the gacha wall regarding equipment, something Japan has already reached, but we're almost there: Only new 5* equipment are added to the game. It doesn't matter how much you play or pay, you are not guaranteed to get a 5* gear. That can be discouraging, yes.

I think DeNA could be generous and give at least fake 5* items on the events to give unlucky people some sense of accomplishment regarding equipment. But they have only gone in the opposite direction and become more and more stingy. =P

FireVoa

The Jenova elite of this event was freaking brutal. I managed to beat it, but the results were not pretty. :/

I know your pain friend...
BUT armed with a Shark I'm hoping to turn my fortune around in Jenova boss rush, key word is hoping.

Edit: Also, I set RedXIII as my RW. I know Diamond pins are a dime a dozen but if anyone needs more Red loving my code is 9HRP.

Did a pull on the Sephiroth banner, best thing I got was an Edincoat :( Should've known today was a bad RNG day after pulling a 1 star on my common. My last 2 days were much better RNG days but I didn't hit 50 mythril until today, sigh.

Falk

that puzzling face
If when the RW gold started coming in after the system's implementation is any indication, I'm inclined to believe it's delayed by a day or so for whatever reason.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
In a real life situation, would you rather get shot in the face once every 10 seconds or four times every 10 seconds?

edit: GUYS I DID IT! I CRACKED THE CODE

2sNhBKs.png

Now, we know what the four loot tables for the Granaldo boss are.

1: {nothing, Bowgun XII, 3* Non-Elemental, 4* Non-Elemental}
2: {nothing, Mythril Spear VI, 3* Power, 4* Power}
3: {nothing, Chakram III, 3* Dark, 4* Dark}
4: {nothing, Sonic Knuckles III, 3* Wind, 4* Wind}

For example, if the boss drops a Mythril Spear, it will neither drop a 3* Power nor a 4* Power. It can't happen.

Now, armed with this knowledge you will finally be able to do the boss and not influence its drops whatsoever making this information completely useless but it's ok because you're now satisfied that you know the boss' loot secrets and can tell the boss "Ha ha, I know what combinations of loot you can't drop suckaaaa"

Also this information can be preserved for future generations when the event ends, meaning you'll be able to tell your grandchildren "Back in my day someone on an internet forum figured out the loot tables for a limited-time boss encounter and and it was awesome because after the event ended no one would ever be able to do so again" and they won't give half a shit!

Better add this to your table then:p

Glad to see you back Falk :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I just got Rydia, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to get her caught up with growth eggs and replace the Black Mage I'm currently using with her. Or White Mage maybe? Any thoughts?

Roto13

So I just got Rydia, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to get her caught up with growth eggs and replace the Black Mage I'm currently using with her. Or White Mage maybe? Any thoughts?

Use Rydia for sure. She can only use up to 3* black magic, but that's more than enough for where you are right now and her magic stat is like 50% higher than the Black Mage's. She's not very effective as a white mage.

On the other hand, replacing an already-leveled character when you're trying to get that VIII event done ASAP might not be the best idea. Swap her in eventually, though.

Basically the only reason to use core class characters is to get their Record Materia.

alcheim

Rydia's OK~ish. Been using her with Phoenix + Leviathan / Kirin / other black magic, and I've been successful in clearing the daily elite events.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Use Rydia for sure. She can only use up to 3* black magic, but that's more than enough for where you are right now and her magic stat is like 50% higher than the Black Mage's. She's not very effective as a white mage.

On the other hand, replacing an already-leveled character when you're trying to get that VIII event done ASAP might not be the best idea. Swap her in eventually, though.

Basically the only reason to use core class characters is to get their Record Materia.

I went ahead and used growth eggs to get her up to 16. I also got a pretty decent 3* whip for her from a relic draw, so that's nice. I think she's overall better than my Black Mage now.

Only have three more Squall event dungeons to go. Barring NORG kicking my ass, I think I'll be able to get it done.

EDIT: Speaking of that, any advice for normal NORG? Since I'm going to have to use mythril to refill my stamina to even fight him, I'd rather not lose to him. :lol All the strats I can find seem to be for Elite NORG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom