• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh so much new content and I'm still doing Sephiroth event. xD At least boss rush has been much easier than I thought.

Same here. I took my time with the Sephiroth event and was just catching up a little on finishing the classic dungeons I had left, never mind the elites too! I just started the Balthier event after seeing the announcement for new dungeons.

Nice that they'll be doing updates twice a month now. Give us the damn HP bars!

Wazzy

Banned
Just mastered Jenova boss rush. Quite easy EXCEPT for Jenova who wasn't as bad but still annoying.

On to Balthier event!
Same here. I took my time with the Sephiroth event and was just catching up a little on finishing the classic dungeons I had left, never mind the elites too! I just started the Balthier event after seeing the announcement for new dungeons.

Nice that they'll be doing updates twice a month now. Give us the damn HP bars!

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna post!

It's okay, we'll catch up. :D

And yeah I really need HP bars.

Roto13

Nice part is it doesn't really matter since e.g. all the elemental weakness conditions are removed.

Just bring a lot of AOE. And Zerk for Mimic Queen/Ghis because why not.

Because then I'd have to bring someone else who uses white magic because I want to bring protect because everything uses physical attacks. :(

Oh shoot, I'm thinking about it.

Balphon

Because then I'd have to bring someone else who uses white magic because I want to bring protect because everything uses physical attacks. :(

Oh shoot, I'm thinking about it.

You're in luck then, because Mimic Queen and Ba'Gamnan's most dangerous attacks are all magic.

Shahadan

I haven't even touched 80% of the Elites from the last batch, and have yet to complete balthier's event, and they add new dungeons ;_;

Roto13

Are there any new characters in this update? I don't see any in the profiles. I know you can get at least one character that was in an event of you don't have him already. (Red XIII)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I made a huuuuuge mistake jumping into the Lenna bonus quest (North Mountain Elite). I'm super underleveled. :lol Already burned a mythril on camp and I'm not even at the boss yet. Oh god I fucked up.

Preview of the upcoming content in Japan, there's some pretty cool stuff they're scheduled to get...

FFV - Faris (head of the pirates/princess of Tycoon)

FFX - Rikku (people have been looking forward to this - Al Bhed girl)

FFXIV - Unknown - (EDIT - hasn't even released it - maybe Y'Shtola or the character himself? Thanks /u/forensicpathology

FFIV - Rosa (one of the most beautiful women in Baron, great archer) and Edge (prince of Eblan)

FFXIII - Fang (female warrior protecting her friends and home)

FFVII - Yuffie (Wutai, daughter of the ninja)

FFIX - Beatrix (master female general)

You can say we're all pretty excited for this. The other stuff to watch out for is that the medal scoring is being tweaked again around mid-July (no details), and that Japan will get ability disassembly and Upgrade Orbs around late August or early September. There, you can dismantle extra abilities (like say you have an extra Jump from crafting) into orbs. You can also refine orbs into higher or lower-level orbs (like you can farm however many Lesser Orbs to get a Regular Orb). Also, watch for September 25th - FFRK's anniversary is coming up, and they apparently have a big, secret surprise.

Blue Magic is still in limbo because the developers are trying to implement it. They definitely want to implement, it though.

Source

Are there any new characters in this update? I don't see any in the profiles. I know you can get at least one character that was in an event of you don't have him already. (Red XIII)
Yep, Ricard and Gladiator too. (Ricard's profile is there.)

Will the bonus quests be available forever or do they go away? Already got Tidus and Lenna so I am in no rush to burn stamina to do the quests now but I don't want to miss out on a 4 star egg if they are gonna go away in a week or so.

Falk

that puzzling face
Literally the Age of Waifu in JP.

Hahahah man, relatively new players are gonna do S.S. Liki and be like "man, that was easy to get Tidus", and then go do North Mountain and get destroyed and waste the ~80 stamina.

Just downloaded this and yup, there goes all my free time. So much nostalgia.

Not too far, just got Sephiroh yesterday and now just trying to clear out the story missions to get more stamina.

That and trying to figure out what the hell i'm doing

eastx

Do you think they'll ever do a gems sale? Other games I've played have had two or three of those by now... Maybe the Final Fantasy brand and the game's high quality keep them from needing to offer discounts.

Azusa

Do you think they'll ever do a gems sale? Other games I've played have had two or three of those by now... Maybe the Final Fantasy brand and the game's high quality keep them from needing to offer discounts.

Puzzle and Dragons never offer discounts I don't see why FFRK should.

eastx

Puzzle and Dragons never offer discounts I don't see why FFRK should.

Similar games like Brave Frontier and Pac-Man Monsters do... I guess the reason they "should" would be to make players happy and encourage people to spend money who wouldn't ordinarily do so. Doesn't mean they ever will offer it, but it'd be nice.

Roto13

Guys, I berserked Ghis and now he's casting protect on me, is he trying to Vit0 me

I made a huuuuuge mistake jumping into the Lenna bonus quest (North Mountain Elite). I'm super underleveled. :lol Already burned a mythril on camp and I'm not even at the boss yet. Oh god I fucked up.

That Elite was the hardest thing we had when the game launched. The whole game was harder then, and that was the hardest boss. Eventually they nerfed everything except that. :p

Falk

that puzzling face
Similar games like Brave Frontier and Pac-Man Monsters do... I guess the reason they "should" would be to make players happy and encourage people to spend money who wouldn't ordinarily do so. Doesn't mean they ever will offer it, but it'd be nice.

Technically the 100 gem pulls are a form of discount. 2/3rds off in limited quantities.

(AND IT'S WORKING SEND HELP)

I drew the line at the 100 gems thing with this set. During the FoG, when they were just feeding me through an IV, I felt compelled to do it. But now that I calculated that I'd be spending $1 each month to spin the gatcha wheel, I realized that's not really what I want to do. If $1 led to 5 or so spins, sure, but $1 is not really a good price for the loss of one inventory space for some crap 3*.

This is how DENA would get me:

$1 = guaranteed 5*. Limit one per banner. I'd do that
$1 = ..., 5 pulls? I don't know what number would actually make me think seriously about this, because the odds of a 5* pull with just 5 pulls is still low.

Falk

that puzzling face
The way I'm seeing it is a $3-4 monthly subscription fee for the game (totally fine by me despite the game's simplicity), which then translates into a 15 or 20 Mythril allowance to do what I want with, since those 3 or 4 pulls are ones that I saved Mythril on.

Roto13

The way I'm seeing it is a $3-4 monthly subscription fee for the game (totally fine by me despite the game's simplicity), which then translates into a 15 or 20 Mythril allowance to do what I want with, since those 3 or 4 pulls are ones that I saved Mythril on.

This sounds like you're trying to justify it. :p You don't have to justify it.

I would only spend money if there was a 0% chance I'd get something bad.

Vorpal

Whats Materias Keeper Elite strategy? Blind, Silence or Slow? Any elemental weakness not documented?

In terms of strategy, it's kind of like the Red Dragon fight.

Status effects make a big difference--Blind, Poison, and Slow especially. Protectga, Power Break, and Magic Break (for Trine) will help with survivability. Paralyze works but wears off VERY quickly on Materia Keeper. I didn't find it helpful at all.

Depending on your setup, you can pick and choose from those status effects/buffs/debuffs. I brought only Protectga, Power Break and Slow (via Tidus' SB) to the boss rush and did alright. In the regular elite I used almost everything.

Like with Red Dragon, it helps to slowly build up as much damage as you can before switching over to all-out offense. In the boss rush, I waited until I'd done about 70K damage and then I refreshed Armor Break, used Boost on Cloud, Song of Memories, Lunatic High RW, all of my SBs, Double Cuts, etc.

Falk

that puzzling face
This sounds like you're trying to justify it. :p You don't have to justify it.

I'm not justifying it. I don't have to.

If anything it's having the opposite effect because I did a couple of paid pulls early on in the game, and now I'm not really tempted to spend anything over $1/banner.

Wortany

Just had an embarrasing retaliate fail during Materia Keeper elite.

Tidus attacks Sephiroth, but retaliate had just run out....attack hits...and Zantetsuken procs. Sweet Dreams Sephiroth.

Japan will get ability disassembly and Upgrade Orbs around late August or early September. There, you can dismantle extra abilities (like say you have an extra Jump from crafting) into orbs. You can also refine orbs into higher or lower-level orbs (like you can farm however many Lesser Orbs to get a Regular Orb).

yo damn

I need this

I'm considering honing Valefor and Phoenix although there are other skills that will need those major orbs: Flare, Flare Strike, Barrage, Quick Hit. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on if I should hone or save up for the other abilities. I'm thinking that the summons might be a better investment thanks to the Summoners RM2 if nothing else.

Falk

that puzzling face
Medium term, two r2 summons will get you a ton of mileage in boss rushes.

Due to the way Ether works (it refills either one of your ability slots at random - 1 charge if the ability has 1-5 max charges, 2 if it has 6-11 max charges, and 3 if it has 12 max charges) Summons will never ever get the benefit of recharging two shots per ether. However, chucking two r2 summons with Summoner RM2 means you're guaranteed 3 summons per battle in every stage, as Ether will always recharge one or the other.

Going beyond r2 is a risky proposition considering the ever higher hone costs, but I think once you have a few of each elemental weakness done to r2, there'd be nothing much else to use the Orbs on anyway. Like anything that comes in limited quantities, though, I'd only craft/hone when it's required.

My personal target medium term is an r2 of one 3* and one 4* of each elemental weakness, e.g. Ifrit + Phoenix, Ramuh + Ixion, etc, since that'd cater to most bosses and spread out the summon orb cost more evenly between 3* and 4* Summon Orbs. Valefor r2 makes a nice stopgap for a lack of a particular 4* element though, since it's got a reasonably high multiplier.

p.s. it takes a single Major orb to take Phoenix or Valefor to r2 compared to 6 Major Fire each for Flare, Flare Strike, etc. It's a drop in the bucket, really.

Medium term, two r2 summons will get you a ton of mileage in boss rushes.

Due to the way Ether works (it refills either one of your ability slots at random - 1 charge if the ability has 1-5 max charges, 2 if it has 6-11 max charges, and 3 if it has 12 max charges) Summons will never ever get the benefit of recharging two shots per ether. However, chucking two r2 summons with Summoner RM2 means you're guaranteed 3 summons per battle in every stage, as Ether will always recharge one or the other.

Going beyond r2 is a risky proposition considering the ever higher hone costs, but I think once you have a few of each elemental weakness done to r2, there'd be nothing much else to use the Orbs on anyway. Like anything that comes in limited quantities, though, I'd only craft/hone when it's required.

My personal target medium term is an r2 of one 3* and one 4* of each elemental weakness, e.g. Ifrit + Phoenix, Ramuh + Ixion, etc, since that'd cater to most bosses and spread out the summon orb cost more evenly between 3* and 4* Summon Orbs. Valefor r2 makes a nice stopgap for a lack of a particular 4* element though, since it's got a reasonably high multiplier.

p.s. it takes a single Major orb to take Phoenix or Valefor to r2 compared to 6 Major Fire each for Flare, Flare Strike, etc. It's a drop in the bucket, really.

Very useful info. Thanks. I used my 2 major wind orbs to get Valefor to R2. It takes 2 Major Wind and not one as you proclaim. From r2 to r3 it says it takes 3 major wind.

Good call on the boss rushes. Looks like I'll be honing both once I get a few more greater fire orbs. Hopefully one of the upcoming events is more generous with farming summon orbs than the current ones. I know it's considered wasteful to farm them, but at the 40-60 stamina per 3* orb that was happening with Operation Mi'hen I'd be way too tempted to try to make some summoning powerhouses.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm still salty I didn't have the foresight to farm the shit out of Dark Cecil back when he was a pushover and dropped 4* summon orbs for like half the stam cost of Reno on Countdown to Destruction. I got like ~6 orbs and crafted Syldra and called it quits.

I also get the feeling the normal version of Dark Cecil will no longer drop 4* Summon Orbs on the repeat event :V

Probably 3* on classic, 4* on elite. I didn't start playing until the Aerith event so I missed out on all of that fun. Here's to hoping the drop rates are good at least.

Azusa

Should I level all characters or only focus at first on the top tier ones? There are some chars that are very weak stat wise.

Razmos

I really don't know what to think of my relic pulls today.

I did 2 today on the Balthier banner, continuing to try my luck for a Ras Algethi.
two pulls, two 5* items. a Golden Armour (XII) and an Emerald Shield (X).

On one hand, hell yeah, two 5* items in a row.
And then on two other hands:
- They both suck.
- They aren't a Ras Algethi

So far that is four 5* items from the Balthier banner of.. probably over 30 pulls at this point. 2 of them were the Viking Coat.

I suppose I'm just a little ungrateful? :/

Falk

that puzzling face
Should I level all characters or only focus at first on the top tier ones? There are some chars that are very weak stat wise.

The core classes are terrible. Early on you'll probably have half a go-to team (Cloud and Rydia were staples way back when) plus 1-2 from whatever realm to benefit from the increased XP.

There are reasons for levelling the core classes, but that's at a stage after you get your first batch to 50 and start getting their Memory Crystals, really.

I feel zero incentive to complete these elites that have no stam shards or characters/memory crystals. I'll get to them eventually, probably when I want the mythril, but no rush at all.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, personally I'm making a beeline for Cyan's crystal which is very near the end. (Beeline not inclusive of a stopover for Summoner crystal for obvious reasons!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom