• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
The trash drops a lot more Ethers than normal actually. You still want a debuff guy in there (obv. physical) but he's not gonna do much damage on trash anyway.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's more likely than not new dungeons. Whether the FF7 event (Aerith memory crystal) is concurrent to that, who knows.

edit@below:

Hooray!

Not sure how FFRK tracks what devices are linked to which accounts, but here's hoping.

MicH

You really shouldn't feel bad about missing rewards from tough events. I missed out on a lot of rewards (abilities, summons, accessories) and while it may suck you'll be fine.

You really shouldn't feel bad about missing rewards from tough events. I missed out on a lot of rewards (abilities, summons, accessories) and while it may suck you'll be fine.

I'd be more irked that I've been here since day 1 and had every character and mem crystal, plus I sank a few dollars into the 1 dollar pulls

Gi Nattak as the final boss of the boss rush is so fucking shitty. Everyone else is susceptible to blind/intimidate and then he comes in and no debuffs work on him. This game would be a lot more fun if you could equip more than 2 spells per character.

Tough love I guess, I never did back the game up either to game center, facebook, or got the one time code, guess I'm SOL well it was fun playing with you guys. Probably for the best the game was causing me too much stress trying to catch up with the insane amount of content.

Boom! With 16 seconds to spare! Advantaliate is amazing.

aXnFo16l.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Speaking as someone who played casually on JP service and then got really hardcore later on (actually around this point in the timeline, QoL features aside) it's 100% possible to slowly crawl towards the forefront of progression even while missing out on the top tier rewards.

4 decked out mages really aren't necessary. There's a whole bunch of overlapping intricacies as to why (soft cap on ATK change coming early, etc) but while they're still a min-max, content is reasonably clearable without.

Ranged bosses are in a weird position though. I mean, they aren't all that common, but when they are you really do need to think outside the box. The first event of the game on Global (where you could get Tifa and Sephiroth) had two ranged bosses, and while the numbers were tuned for everyone starting off at that point, it still threw people in a tizzy. (All we had back then was... Black Mage and Rydia. And Tyro. Heh)

This Battle Arena is even more of a weird position. It's not so much the fact that it's a bunch of ranged bosses as much as it is they WANT you to use mages (The bosses have absurd DEF stat, etc) That's honestly the first time it's ever been done in the game.

All in all, though like I said, you really shouldn't worry too much of trying to climb the progression ladder too fast. Clearing what you can, then going back to story dungeons (for stamina shards) and dailies (ESPECIALLY the XP one, and Tuesday's Black/Power Orb daily) to beef up would be a better medium-term use of the stamina. The dailies are a -lot- better than they used to be. They're a more or less guaranteed 3-6 orbs, where they used to be a crapshoot. And really, don't worry too much about 4* abilities. Other than Quake and Bladeblitz (which took most of us forever to get way back when with weeks spent farming Humbaba, compared to how many 4* orbs are handed out in events nowadays) the power increase you get is a gradual thing. Sure, you eventually want Power/Magic breakdown to survive endgame bosses, but like I said, it really is one step at a time.

(p.s. I'm actually coaching an IRL friend who started 3 weeks ago so I'm not exactly talking out of my ass here with a disconnect re: the experience of not being able to clear all content)
I'm sure you're not wrong, but I guess I think of it this way - are you going to tell your friend to prioritize levelling Lightning/Sahz, or the freebie characters like Cloud and Rydia and/or other black mages? I feel like there's still a pecking order, and it's only once you have that pecking order that you have the luxury of thinking of other characters. I know that only having Rydia and Tyro as my only magic users made the game almost impossible at the harder levels early on since I just wasn't damaging or healing fast enough.

And yeah, you can get all these 4* spells eventually, but I feel like the content is geared toward people who can easily obtain the rewards.

Not getting Shellga means the next time some heavy magic user is the boss, I'm going to be screwed and not be able to get the next -ga spell. Which means I won't be able to get the next -ga spell in the following event. Maybe that's not how I'm supposed to feel about the game, but when I read strategies like "Use quake with black mage's 2nd record materia to clear all the trash and then use sentinel grimoire + protectga on the boss" on most of the pages on the FFRK wiki/reddit, I sort of realize that there is a pecking order and there's no way I'm ever going to be able to catch up. I barely have enough to make one Quake as it stands.

(Which is why I was only playing for Lightning, which just comes back to why I'm salty. lol)

MicH

You have to remember that Shellga was litteraly just added to the game. 90% of players didn't have access to it for the past bosses or boss rushes and did just fine. Only few were lucky enough to actually pull a relic with a Shellga SB

Just keep going as far as you can in the events and do the smilies to hone your abilities and upgrade your equipment and you'll eventually catch up

You have to remember that Shellga was litteraly just added to the game. 90% of players didn't have access to it for the past bosses or boss rushes and did just fine. Only few were lucky enough to actually pull a relic with a Shellga SB

Just keep going as far as you can in the events and do the smilies to hone your abilities and upgrade your equipment and you'll eventually catch up

Arc gets no respect.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You could always just craft shellga. The orb requirements aren't high.
I mean, I've been playing perhaps 2 months and I'm able to craft either Quake, Shellga or Protectga. It's just a daunting thing to look at when you realize that you are missing out on the optimal gear and will always be behind.

I don't know if I'm playing the game wrong, but 4* orbs are a rarity when I play.

:) :( :/ 8) :|

Caught up yet?
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Shellga.

Maybe the problem is just the ramp. The game is really easy until it's suddenly impossible to do any content so instead of experiencing new stuff and getting new abilities, you just need to grind for the chance to drop orbs.

Balphon

I mean, I've been playing perhaps 2 months and I'm able to craft either Quake, Shellga or Protectga. It's just a daunting thing to look at when you realize that you are missing out on the optimal gear and will always be behind.

I don't know if I'm playing the game wrong, but 4* orbs are a rarity when I play.

I hear you. I had to scrape together the orbs to make Protectga awhile back, and I was basically having to choose between it and Quake.

Just saying it's not like you're permanently locked out of abilities. You'll start getting enough greater orbs from dungeon rewards to make stuff.

You could always just craft shellga. The orb requirements aren't high.

I am getting increasingly annoyed that Arc and Lenna are stuck at 50 with their really useful default SBs. At least the Aerith crystal is coming up.

Yeah, I really dislike how both new characters in an event get their crystal yet old characters just gather dust. Aeris wil be great to break. I have her stick, so being able to use heal wind and stop evil will be awesome. Likewise lenna is going to be great particularly if you have her relic.

I'm having a lot of trouble mastering the champion boss rush for the knight's path.

Trying to use Tifa, Cloud, Wakka, Selphie, Garnet for my next attempt. Bringing reflect. Considering swapping cloud for Celes since I have her weapon.

that contest got me to reinstall the game.

I got very bored with it and have been replaying the actual final fantasy games instead. I finished FF4 last month and am about halfway done with FF5 now.

It just got to a point where it required so much time to spend with it to even use up your stamina, and there were so many dungeons to do that were just auto battling and watching the battles. It was like it was hogging my phone and i just wanted to do other stuff like browse gaf and youtube.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm sure you're not wrong, but I guess I think of it this way - are you going to tell your friend to prioritize levelling Lightning/Sahz, or the freebie characters like Cloud and Rydia and/or other black mages?

I know what you're getting at, but I'd actually tell my friend to prioritize levelling Cloud and Sazh. :p

johnsmith

remember me
Odin's too easy with Advance + retaliate + armor breakdown. 6k double cut hits without a realm synergy weapon. Bring on the boss rush!

Falk

that puzzling face
Odin's too easy with Advance + retaliate + armor breakdown. 6k double cut hits without a realm synergy weapon. Bring on the boss rush!

Think this is going to be a recurring story for foreseeable future. ATK softcap change really, REALLY changed up the meta these few months in the timeline (JP got it maybe another 7 weeks later)

pls give Auron ASAP

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Think this is going to be a recurring story for foreseeable future. ATK softcap change really, REALLY changed up the meta these few months in the timeline (JP got it maybe another 7 weeks later)

pls give Auron ASAP
I'm assuming the only way to make people not use Cloud is to just nerf him. :p

I'm assuming the only way to make people not use Cloud is to just nerf him. :p

Make retaliate not attack the enemy when a teammate attacks the character using the ability. Nerfs his usefulness and prevents people abusing advance + retaliate for every difficult boss fight.

..I don't actually want them to do this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Make retaliate not attack the enemy when a teammate attacks the character using the ability. Nerfs his usefulness and prevents people abusing advance + retaliate for every difficult boss fight.

..I don't actually want them to do this.
For me, it just makes me wonder why you wouldn't use Cloud for every boss fight that allows physical melee damage.

I missed this whole "vit0" thing since I didn't have any of the abilities required to do it, but this is something anyone can do.

Is it normal for champion on Schizo to only give you 202 EXP? Not a thing I should be complaining about as is it champion win (which is the important bit I suppose) and the medals lost were 1 for actions and 1 for damage (the actions were nowhere near the 0 medal border so it is a good thing damage was fine) using a standard strategy of damage mitigation and whack Cloud in the face.

Also, can I get rid of these FFVII Power Wrists or do 1* accessories become useful down the line? (I'm not short on equipment slots yet since an 11 pull used up quite a few upgrade materials hogging space)

Nohar

If they nerf the way Retaliate works, we are going to have a rough time facing some bosses. I can't fathom fighting some of them (especially the ones with downright unfair counters ~ heeeellooooo Barbarica) without it.

I'm quite happy with the Advancetaliate strategy, and I'll keep using it as long as it is viable.

@Starwolf: Nope, you can get rid of your 1* accessories.

Nohar

Cloud, Sephiroth, Cyan and Tyro all Lv65 now. I can't use retaliate without feeling like I'm wasting some EXP :(

I only use Retaliate for hard bosses (difficulty > 90). Everything under that can be dealt with good abilities. Not to mention Daily dungeons are easy enough once you have decent equipment and abilities that you don't need to use Retaliate when doing them.

Talking about hard bosses: Odin (Elite - Lightning's Event) is a bitch. He hits like a truck (even with Power/magic Break(down) ~ those abilities' efficiency is reduced by 50%, and it shows), has no weaknesses, he can Protect/Shell himself and we only have 45 seconds to beat him. That's rough.

Aparté: I'm getting tons of new followers these last few days. I did add myself to the reddit sheet, but I didn't expect that.

Road

Aparté: I'm getting tons of new followers these last few days. I did add myself to the reddit sheet, but I didn't expect that.
I'm getting a lot too but I didn't put my name anywhere - my bard got 23 uses yesterday! Something happened, either new users due to advertising or changing the equipment on my RW put me higher on people's list.

I use retaliate but I try to diversify whenever possible (read when the boss has elemental weakness).

Yeah, I don't blame you at all. And compared to earlier shitposting in this thread (see: "This game is trash and everyone should go play something else. You will thank me.") you're totally fine. Or you could pull a Roto by telling someone else to stop shitting up the thread and then ten pages later start making posts about how this game sucks and you're quitting!

More broadly, I think it's good for people to post about not getting banner weapons. Some of these items can get way overhyped when it comes to tier lists and "must-haves" and it's a good thing for newcomers to know that their progress isn't completely halted if they didn't luck out on a Vega or Blazefire.

Edit: I should clarify that there's totally a difference between wanting weapons that are "overhyped" and just plain wanting a weapon for your favorite character. Nothing wrong with the latter. But people who don't care much for Lightning or Sazh shouldn't feel screwed over for not pulling their weapons.

Vorpal, I really like your attitude. I'm not posting that much in this thread, but I'd like to bring a positive word to people getting shitty draws: it's not really worth to feel bad about it.
I was waiting really eagerly for the Lightning banner, not for the charas themselves but because it seemed a good banner to spend mythril on, and...... 150 mythril later I got zero 5* and 3 4*.

I took a picture of my all-threes 11 pull, that went after a 2 four/9 threes and 1 four/10 threes pull.

I'll take a long look at it everytime I feel like pulling again.

Having said that, right after the shitty pulls I went on and mastered all the event dungeons. I'm pretty confident I'll master also the ex+ and ex++ dungeons when they'll be out.
All of that with the grand total of 5 five* I got since the beginning of the game (of which, only one named relic, the Terra one).

So yeah, it's absolutely true, not worth getting angry at bad luck, the game is totally playable anyway (for now), and since there's no multiplayer, we'll all be fine for the time being.

White power day is so boring.

I need 450 power orbs to max the four breaks and four spellblades and launch to r5. I have a bit over 200. I don't intend to hone those up anytime soon but I guess I could keep those in my back pocket.

Eh, I think I'll try for a greater holy orb or two. I need six to hone curaja to r4. Is the best place IV waterway elite?

Balphon

If they nerf the way Retaliate works, we are going to have a rough time facing some bosses. I can't fathom fighting some of them (especially the ones with downright unfair counters ~ heeeellooooo Barbarica) without it.

I'm quite happy with the Advancetaliate strategy, and I'll keep using it as long as it is viable.

@Starwolf: Nope, you can get rid of your 1* accessories.

I've never used retaliate (though I checked and I did actually craft it at some point) and Schizo is the first boss in some time that I haven't mastered. It's not impossible.

Doesn't really solve the "always bring Cloud" thing though since he is still easily the most versatile melee character and everyone gets him immediately. I may replace him as #1 with Lightning but that's only because I got lucky with her weapon.

Nohar

I avoid maxing abilities: it takes a ton of orbs which could be used for future abilities (not to mention we will be able to convert orbs in the future). R4 abilities are enough for most situations (though R5 are useful for boss rushes thanks to Ethers restoring 3 usages).

Xetherion

I'm getting tons of new followers these last few days. I did add myself to the reddit sheet, but I didn't expect that.

I've been getting a bunch of new followers the last few days too, and I didn't add myself to any new sheets or change my RW. I think we're getting an influx of new players, probably due to the contest and/or marketing.

I've maxed my followers now that I have sazh but my income is about half of what it was as sephiroth with hells gate. I expect it to pick up dramatically when the boss rush gets released. No need for grimoire or lunatic or boon when you're just running dailies and regular battles.

Pardon my language, but I'm fucking PISSED that Cloud's crystal is a reward in an FF13 elite stage. That makes no fucking sense, at all. I don't like doing the elite versions of stages. Why would they tuck it away there?

I mean, I got it and all, but I've been waiting for weeks for it to show up as an event reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom