• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohar

Everyone is free to enjoy this game as he likes it. Though, do keep in mind that this is a F2P game, created specifically with the goal to push people to spend money for it (hence the stamina limit, the arbitrary inventory limit, and the horribly random and injust gacha pulls).

Some may feel that spending money for this game is a way to support it, but is that really what you want to support? F2P games designed with arbitrary limitations in the hopes of making you spend money for them? The very basis of these games is warped. It doesn't have your best interests, as a consumer, in mind.

We are seeing more and more videogames with microtransactions and (not free) DLC (including some baffling practices, like day-one DLC and DLC already on the game-disc but that we need to pay to unlock), whereas in the past we would get the whole package.

Enjoy the game, but do not fool yourself into thinking that this kind of "game/content" should be supported. Because I couldn't disagree more.

Wazzy

Banned
Everyone is free to enjoy this game as he likes it. Though, do keep in mind that this is a F2P game, created specifically with the goal to push people to spend money for it (hence the stamina limit, the arbitrary inventory limit, and the horribly random and injust gacha pulls).

Some may feel that spending money for this game is a way to support it, but is that really what you want to support? F2P games designed with arbitrary limitations in the hopes of making you spend money for them? The very basis of these games is warped. It doesn't have your best interests, as a consumer, in mind.

We are seeing more and more videogames with microtransactions and (not free) DLC (including some baffling practices, like day-one DLC and DLC already on the game-disc but that we need to pay to unlock), whereas in the past we would get the whole package.

Enjoy the game, but do not fool yourself into thinking that this kind of "game/content" should be supported. Because I couldn't disagree more.
I'm going to have to disagree. I think RK has been more than fair with it's system and Mythril handouts that it absolutely deserves to be supported. F2P's have their flaws and there's many that are just awful but some DO deserve credit and support and those are ones that don't completely lock you out from playing the game.

Nohar

I'm going to have to disagree. I think RK has been more than fair with it's system and Mythril handouts that it absolutely deserves to be supported. F2P's have their flaws and there's many that are just awful but some DO deserve credit and support and those are ones that don't completely lock you out from playing the game.

If there is one good thing nice about RK, it is that they are quite generous with Mythril. Doesn't change the fact that the basis of this game is the same as the others, with the same goal in mind as the others, with the same mecanics which do lock you out (stamina limit, equipment/ability limits, good equipment and abilities required to succeed, even moreso if you didn't start the game day-one and/or if you are unlucky with the gacha, etc) and I don't condone this game model (I won't spend money for it). Also, the game has quite a lot of defaults, including its less than stellar UI and its performance issues (if we are comparing F2P games, Puzzle and Dragons runs perfectly smoothly on my iPhone 4s, whereas RK slows down to a crawl in menus). They do adress the problems and add some QoL updates, so at least they are aware of that.
We'll have to agree to disagree I think.

Road

You are absolutely right. Yes, I like the game and enjoy playing it, but I do so despite all the abominable F2P garbage built into it. If it didn't have those, I could easily say this was one of the best games Square Enix ever made.

When you give money to this game, what you're supporting is a gacha machine designed to feed on the weaknesses of our minds. If you enjoy ffrk because you like pulling the gacha lever and want more games where you're artificially limited in play time for no reason other than to make you spend more money, then, by all means, reward them and give them your money. I just don't.

That said, for the Cloud figure do I have to complete Mako reactor again? I didn't quite understand it. I'd rather win a bunch of 5* equipment, though haha

Negator

The gacha in this game is so soul crushing that I could never invest any serious amount of money into the game. If I got nothing but 3* on a 11 pull from gems I'd probably throw my phone at the wall.

I can't at the fact that some of you actually spend really money on this free game. Like...don't you realize these things are designed to rip you off?

Considering the game doesn't have ads, the only way this game gets updates is through folks supporting it through purchasing gems. I've gotten far more play time out of this game than many others in quite a while (mainly due to lifestyle changes and the inability to sit in front of my personal computer for more than a few minutes!) Why would I not support something that I enjoy? Further, unlike other app games, we actually have a roadmap of content for the next 6 months. We know the game isn't going to just disappear or content delivery grind to a halt-so any money you drop now is with an eye on keeping your team competitive for the long term.

Razmos

Dr. Mog's Mythril Stash, lmao.

After a certain point this should just be called a feature rather than an event, though i'm loving the different names for each period.

up next it will be "Tifa's Victoria's Secret Compartment of Mythril"
Victoria+s+secret+compartment+a+few+places+come+to+mind+all_5e60d1_5476394.jpg

Falk

that puzzling face
It was like Mr. T., but without the clothes. On his train. {Please, God,} thought the guard, {let him have a ticket.} But the guard knew that Mr. T. didn't have a ticket. He wasn't holding one, and just where are the pockets on a naked man?

nsfw/juvenile text

Any tips for taking down Odin in the elite Lightning event? I just can't take him out in time.

Try PalaCecil taunt-Retaliate with Zantetsuken. (Or whatever XIII synergy you have if better) It redirects his turns into massive damage on him because of his multi-attack nature. Add Boost/Armor Break(down) ofc.

Style

Banned
First time I tried this it was a bit sluggish on my previous iPhone. :<
I'm tempted to give it another go on my new phone because I'm a huge FF dork. >_>

EDIT: *reads thread* SO THIS IS WHERE MOST OF FFGAF DISAPPEARED TO.

Meier

I still have not used retaliate at all. How many turns does it last for generally speaking? At least a few attacks by the enemy?

Falk

that puzzling face
You typically refresh it every other turn. Which is similar to most other common buffs/debuffs like breaks/breakdowns/boost.

I didn't bother with breaks on Odin. Just boost retaliate advance. Wmage with protecga and curaja if needed. My wm had double hit materia.

A nice opportunity to try out launch on alternated turns with the retaliator.

Oh, my bmage was my booster and had firaja for one trash enemy per round and then for nuking Odin.

Red Mage

Yeah, and I'm going to stop shitting the thread with my whining since it's not really helping anyone other than myself. lol
But when you play a game for a couple of months and get nothing to show for it, well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel like a total asshole right now.

There'll be other chances to draw Lightning's weapons, and all three will get new weapons later on. I never got Sephiroth's initial weapon, but got his second, which is superior. Prior to that, I only had the Earthquake SB, which sucks. I got lucky and drew Edgar's SB weapon, but I had already figured if I didn't get it, I'd wait for the second chance to redraw them, or wait for his next weapon.

First time I tried this it was a bit sluggish on my previous iPhone. :<
I'm tempted to give it another go on my new phone because I'm a huge FF dork. >_>

EDIT: *reads thread* SO THIS IS WHERE MOST OF FFGAF DISAPPEARED TO.

J.O.I.N. U.S. = o

I still have not used retaliate at all. How many turns does it last for generally speaking? At least a few attacks by the enemy?
15 seconds is the duration so a pattern I like to do is after casting user does two attack actions before casting retaliate again on their third to reset the 15 seconds. Depending on the characters speed (and if you use longer duration actions or are just slow at hitting buttons) you usually will have a small window during re-casting retaliate where it is no longer active. It depends on as much your other characters ATB and how much you need to conserve the retaliate ability itself.

Breaks also last 15 seconds so by alternating say, mental and magic every other turn you are burning through the abilities a lot faster but likewise there isn't that small window where it is not active (I think doing something like break 1, break 2, defend, break 1... can eliminate the window too)*. Still if I need to conserve breaks then it is safer having a small window of inactivity than it is having a large window at the end of the match.

Boost on the other hand has a duration of 25 seconds which is tricker to get into a casting rhythm with.

*-I'd advise against that pattern for retaliate as the visual cue of it being active is the character in a defend/action pose (though sometimes the game doesn't display this when transitioning rounds or doing a S/L)

Falk

that puzzling face
I actually wait on my Breakdown characters for like half an ATB bar before refreshing, rather than attempting to line up all characters for Buff-DPS-DPS as a rotation.

I'm old fashioned.

Nice draw. That bangle is my most used armor. What's the deal with 99% of the bows in this game being ffv?

On another topic, when are the new dungeons expected to drop? I'm hoping tonight, haha, as I have to do a lot of mats farming on Friday.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Been having bad luck with draws:( No more mythrils now. Been spending too much on stamina refills. Although sometimes I think they're more worth while than gettinh a relic draw. 5 mythrils is close to 570-580 worth of stamina points for grinding for exp, orbs or materials or for completing stages.

There'll be other chances to draw Lightning's weapons, and all three will get new weapons later on. I never got Sephiroth's initial weapon, but got his second, which is superior. Prior to that, I only had the Earthquake SB, which sucks. I got lucky and drew Edgar's SB weapon, but I had already figured if I didn't get it, I'd wait for the second chance to redraw them, or wait for his next weapon.

That's the thing isn't it, there will always be a must have relic around the corner for this character or another. You'll. drive yourself nuts or to the poorhouse if you get to wrapped up in the chase.

if you get caught up in prioritizing your wants over your needs you are doomed. Needs are multiple rods to run multiple mages out, needs are a retaliate weapon with synergy for as many realms as possible. Needs are one of the boutique weapons to make more characters useful, ie a gun bow fist spear etc. The fixation on a singular character who has a good weapon right now is highly detrimental to enjoying this game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The gacha in this game is so soul crushing that I could never invest any serious amount of money into the game. If I got nothing but 3* on a 11 pull from gems I'd probably throw my phone at the wall.
This is my problem with the game. The f2p system should encourage you to spend money, not discourage you.

I suppose so, but if I didn't get it with 150 mythril, I'm just going to assume I'll never get it. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way given that it's all RNG, but it's hard not to be still feel disappointed 2 days later. lol

That's the thing isn't it, there will always be a must have relic around the corner for this character or another. You'll. drive yourself nuts or to the poorhouse if you get to wrapped up in the chase.

if you get caught up in prioritizing your wants over your needs you are doomed. Needs are multiple rods to run multiple mages out, needs are a retaliate weapon with synergy for as many realms as possible. Needs are one of the boutique weapons to make more characters useful, ie a gun bow fist spear etc. The fixation on a singular character who has a good weapon right now is highly detrimental to enjoying this game.
That's the thing, if you play this game as pure min/max, then Sahz and Lightning are "bad" characters when all you want are 4 black mages and/or Cloud with 3 guys with double cut. You can beat the content just fine, but where's the "fun" of being able to play how you want?

If I don't enjoy using one of my favourite characters, this game might as well be called Dragon Quest Record Keeper or Star Ocean Record Keeper for all the fanservice is doing for me.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sazh is a top tier character with/without his guns to be quite honest. A good gun just lets you increase your debuff damage from 500 to 2000 when your main guys are hitting for 7k.

There aren't many Support characters who can drop Full Break on bosses and still have access to 3* white and black utility spells.

(And his relic weapon frees up your RW for other things, obv)

Razmos

I really really want a Bravely Default realm now. There's so much potential.

the 4 main characters, the huge amount of Asterick holders all with distinctive looks, jobs and abilities, it would be amazing.

Falk

that puzzling face
roflrofl can you imagine the event potential for that

just-in-case edit: ACTUAL Bravely Default spoilers
events 5-8 are the exact same thing

How long was it between when that first shady looking email campaign went out to when we discovered it was legit by them giving out the rewards? I tried to get in on the second wave, so am want to guestimate how long it will be until I find out if I was successful or not (I filled out the form, despite not being on their email list).

Same thing as most events then ;)
Exactly what I was thinking, :p.

That's the thing, if you play this game as pure min/max, then Sahz and Lightning are "bad" characters when all you want are 4 black mages and/or Cloud with 3 guys with double cut. You can beat the content just fine, but where's the "fun" of being able to play how you want?

If I don't enjoy using one of my favourite characters, this game might as well be called Dragon Quest Record Keeper or Star Ocean Record Keeper for all the fanservice is doing for me.

I haven't seen anyone call either Sahz or Lightning bad characters. Sahz seems top tier with his abilities, better than wakka, since he can use some spells as need be. Lightning's stats are overall quite good for a front liner and she can hit from the rear with guns if you have one, spellblades are very useful on bosses. Considering DeNa gave us a free Zantetsuken, her damage output is going to almost always be sufficient for your needs. My level 50 Lightning has an attack of 233 with the Z before armor/accessory synergy. I've summoned her RW a few times, it is frankly not that great. I'd recommend looking at the reddit character comparisons to see exactly where these two fall, they are actually quite high up the list for their respective roles.

If you want a game where you can just trot out your favorite character and master every battle, this game really isn't for you-that's ok. It isn't billed as Cloud or Lightning and friends. You have to develop different characters, which is remarkably easy with the huge amount of growth eggs, and have flexibility with your strategy. You have to swap characters in and out as the circumstances and gear dictate.

I frankly don't think I'd like a game like the one you are looking for where you really don't have to mix up your characters and strategies based on the bosses/battles. There are always going to be optimal strategies in these games but outside of a few battles (namely Schizo), I really haven't seen any that are impossible without using a singular strategy. Sounds dreadfully boring frankly. But, then again, my first final fantasy game was I way back on its initial NA release, and I've played all but the MMORPGs and XII since then, so I am not particularly wedded to one character or another, just more of "what do they bring to the table for this particular fight".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I frankly don't think I'd like a game like the one you are looking for where you really don't have to mix up your characters and strategies based on the bosses/battles. There are always going to be optimal strategies in these games but outside of a few battles (namely Schizo), I really haven't seen any that are impossible without using a singular strategy. Sounds dreadfully boring frankly. But, then again, my first final fantasy game was I way back on its initial NA release, and I've played all but the MMORPGs and XII since then, so I am not particularly wedded to one character or another, just more of "what do they bring to the table for this particular fight".
Sazh is a top tier character with/without his guns to be quite honest. A good gun just lets you increase your debuff damage from 500 to 2000 when your main guys are hitting for 7k.

There aren't many Support characters who can drop Full Break on bosses and still have access to 3* white and black utility spells.

(And his relic weapon frees up your RW for other things, obv)
Keep in mind I'm still a relatively new player, but reading from here and on reddit, I've found that this is the min/max pathing:

Get Cloud to 65 for "reta meta". This also means grinding 2 or 3 honed double cuts + Wakka for Boost, unless you have that Retaliate SB.
Get 4 Black Mages for events like this Tifa one that I can't finish, since all the bosses are ranged-only. (So I not only missed out on Slowga last time, but now Shellga, which I'll never be able to get because 4* orbs just don't drop).

I guess if you have that stuff already, then the other characters maybe add nuance to whatever decisions and planning that you make. But it seems if you are just starting out, there are very specific things that you are supposed to aim for.

I really really want a Bravely Default realm now. There's so much potential.

the 4 main characters, the huge amount of Asterick holders all with distinctive looks, jobs and abilities, it would be amazing.
Maybe in BD realms, you can turn the encounter rate to 0 and just walk through the event. ;)

Razmos

To be fair, you get so many orbs from events that I've never had to grind the dailies for 4* orbs. I get everything from event rewards. It takes a little longer sure but it beats grinding.
also I've used the retaliate meta like... twice, with varying success. I've done fine without it.

I've played this entire game just through doing events and dungeons. The only grinding I ever did was Festival of Gold (may its glory shine upon us, amen)

To be fair, you get so many orbs from events that I've never had to grind the dailies for 4* orbs. I get everything from event rewards. It takes a little longer sure but it beats grinding.
also I've used the retaliate meta like... twice, with varying success. I've done fine without it.

I've played this entire game just through doing events and dungeons. The only grinding I ever did was Festival of Gold (may its glory shine upon us, amen)

Same. I only grind for gil and upgrade materials. Everything else? Meh. It'll come along eventually.

Falk

that puzzling face
Speaking as someone who played casually on JP service and then got really hardcore later on (actually around this point in the timeline, QoL features aside) it's 100% possible to slowly crawl towards the forefront of progression even while missing out on the top tier rewards.

4 decked out mages really aren't necessary. There's a whole bunch of overlapping intricacies as to why (soft cap on ATK change coming early, etc) but while they're still a min-max, content is reasonably clearable without.

Ranged bosses are in a weird position though. I mean, they aren't all that common, but when they are you really do need to think outside the box. The first event of the game on Global (where you could get Tifa and Sephiroth) had two ranged bosses, and while the numbers were tuned for everyone starting off at that point, it still threw people in a tizzy. (All we had back then was... Black Mage and Rydia. And Tyro. Heh)

This Battle Arena is even more of a weird position. It's not so much the fact that it's a bunch of ranged bosses as much as it is they WANT you to use mages (The bosses have absurd DEF stat, etc) That's honestly the first time it's ever been done in the game.

All in all, though like I said, you really shouldn't worry too much of trying to climb the progression ladder too fast. Clearing what you can, then going back to story dungeons (for stamina shards) and dailies (ESPECIALLY the XP one, and Tuesday's Black/Power Orb daily) to beef up would be a better medium-term use of the stamina. The dailies are a -lot- better than they used to be. They're a more or less guaranteed 3-6 orbs, where they used to be a crapshoot. And really, don't worry too much about 4* abilities. Other than Quake and Bladeblitz (which took most of us forever to get way back when with weeks spent farming Humbaba, compared to how many 4* orbs are handed out in events nowadays) the power increase you get is a gradual thing. Sure, you eventually want Power/Magic breakdown to survive endgame bosses, but like I said, it really is one step at a time.

(p.s. I'm actually coaching an IRL friend who started 3 weeks ago so I'm not exactly talking out of my ass here with a disconnect re: the experience of not being able to clear all content)

I get the ranged boss complaint if you are new to the game, but how boring would the game be if there wasn't variety to bosses like this. If each boss was weak to one element or could be bashed to death.i find the variety in bosses to be quite strong for what is essentially a browser game. More variety than in some of the base ff games, that's for sure.

Razmos

I started just before the Shinra event ended and had to deal with a ranged boss.

The game has gotten harder since then though.

Wazzy

Banned
So when are we expecting the celebration banners? Is Squall's second GB in one of them? I might do a paid pull on it if so though I might also wait since I want to try for Zells banner. I won't be using my mythril so at least it limits me.
If there is one good thing nice about RK, it is that they are quite generous with Mythril. Doesn't change the fact that the basis of this game is the same as the others, with the same goal in mind as the others, with the same mecanics which do lock you out (stamina limit, equipment/ability limits, good equipment and abilities required to succeed, even moreso if you didn't start the game day-one and/or if you are unlucky with the gacha, etc) and I don't condone this game model (I won't spend money for it). Also, the game has quite a lot of defaults, including its less than stellar UI and its performance issues (if we are comparing F2P games, Puzzle and Dragons runs perfectly smoothly on my iPhone 4s, whereas RK slows down to a crawl in menus). They do adress the problems and add some QoL updates, so at least they are aware of that.
We'll have to agree to disagree I think.

Well, of course I agree F2P's mechanices generally aren't acceptable and the model doesn't generally have consumers in mind. At the same time, the game gives so much to the player that there's nothing wrong with paying a little bit to support the company so they can continue making content. Now, the percentage obviously needs to increase with the rare pulls and I'm in complete agreement about that change and hopefully it happens sooner than later.

But anyway I do hope for more updates in regards to menu's running like shit and hopefully they can fix that but otherwise I'm enjoying my time with the game.

Sure didn't make my life easy against Prodclod (or whatever stupid big things name is). I decided to give Vivi Firaja r2 and Thundara r4. I had like two turns at the end where Vivi (and the rest of the party) was able to do nothing but watch Rydia do the last pixels of damage. Got lucky against that tin can as I took so long blind expired but I got another one on it. Oh well, champions a champion.

At the very least you have completed the dailies once, right? That is a lot of easy mythril waiting for the taking if you have not. I also heard when they add EX difficulty to the dailies the dungeons get replaced which means a new set of first time rewards (i.e. even more Mythril).

I suppose I wouldn't call playing the dailies grinding. Just something I do to spend stamina quickly for modest reward.

How long was it between when that first shady looking email campaign went out to when we discovered it was legit by them giving out the rewards? I tried to get in on the second wave, so am want to guestimate how long it will be until I find out if I was successful or not (I filled out the form, despite not being on their email list).
The problem with that was someone asked and got the answer that yes it was genuine but it was intended for people affected by the closure of another f2p game. In other words I expect nothing.

On another topic, when are the new dungeons expected to drop? I'm hoping tonight, haha, as I have to do a lot of mats farming on Friday.
Last official post said after event ending mid-August. That would be the Tifa event.

Also you don't have to do the new dungeons immediately. I certainly didn't and I'm caught up now (on classic at least).

Is there any indication that they're going to lift the damage cap at any point? There's no point in selecting RW that only attack a single target when you can get someone that hit's all for the same amount of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom