• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropping both the boss rush and the new dungeons in the same night? Hmm

if so, I think I'll shoot to unlock the new characters then see where I'm at with upgrade mats for Friday, then Saturday finish getting the memory crystals and dungeons so that Sunday can be completely devoted to exp, with Monday, a useless day for farming the dailies, reserved to wrap up the lightning event. I have not been good about far in for exp when dungeons and events are incomplete.

I'm getting a lot too but I didn't put my name anywhere - my bard got 23 uses yesterday! Something happened, either new users due to advertising or changing the equipment on my RW put me higher on people's list.
I had the same thing happen with Shining Wave WoL. I thought it was due to changing him to Lightning (her SB is typically better unless you really wanted holy element) but IIRC isn't the money stuff delayed a little. Maybe it was even a bug in that due to maintenance as I was seeing like 1 or 2 summons (instead of the typical 5) after that.

I avoid maxing abilities: it takes a ton of orbs which could be used for future abilities (not to mention we will be able to convert orbs in the future). R4 abilities are enough for most situations (though R5 are useful for boss rushes thanks to Ethers restoring 3 usages).
Is this r5 in general or is it only for ones with 12 uses like Curaga?

Falk

that puzzling face
I don't understand how Snow doesn't haven't Retaliate.

In the strictest FFRK mechanic sense, it's a Samurai ability. FFXIII doesn't really have a Samurai analog. Oh well.

Is this r5 in general or is it only for ones with 12 uses like Curaga?

Ethers restore 20%, rounded up (even fractions below .5). This is why r3 is the most important rank for many abilities - it bumps Ethers to 2. And you're absolutely right, only abilities that hit 12 charges at r5 get 3 charges back from an Ether.

In future there are Turbo Ethers that restore 33% rounded up. Those actually change the rank importance of abilities, but right now r3 is 'mandatory' for any core abilitiy while the sweet spot is r4 (because of r5 honing costs) except for White Magic that hits 12 uses, partly because of the 12 cap and partly because white 3* orbs are plentiful.

SunGod

I only use Retaliate for hard bosses (difficulty > 90). Everything under that can be dealt with good abilities. Not to mention Daily dungeons are easy enough once you have decent equipment and abilities that you don't need to use Retaliate when doing them.

Don't think I've used retaliate in dailies since BM RM2, let alone summoner RM2.

Same here, just sad for those difficult dungeons where I usually use it :( is Auron the next retaliate bot we get?

Falk

that puzzling face
Yup,

List of events:
Aerith MC
Steiner/Eiko
Rinoa MC
Tellah/Golbez
Festival Event
Zack
Kimahri/Auron

Still a long way to go actually.

Decided to stop using Retaliate (we'll see about Boss Rush), it worked well on Odin Elite! Used Red as my RW. Lost 1 medal.

9SrbUUb.png

For some reason not getting the weapon of Lightning and Sazh with my 279271 Mythrils made me want to start kicking ass without my usual way of doing things. Not that I thought I needed those weapons to kick ass, it was really because I greatly like the characters. Beating Odin with 27 seconds left while rocking Vanille and Lightning made me happy!

ELI5: What the hell is retaliate and why is every other post in this thread about it? lol

Retaliate is a 2* ability that puts the character that uses it in a counter stance, that counters a physical attack. That character takes little or no damage from that attack while it's up.

The thing is, if someone in your party attacks the Retaliate character, instead of retaliating against that character, that attack hits an enemy instead. So a low-STR/mage character can hit the Retaliate character and essentially attack for that character's STR. Someone using a multi-hit skill like Double Cut means there's 2 counter attacks.

Oh yeah, and that damage is buffable with Boost/Advance.

Someone using a multi-hit skill like Double Cut means there's 2 counter attacks.
Also notable is that there is no multiplier on the counter hits. Thus, even if the retaliator and the double cutter had the exact same attack stat, more damage would be done via hitting the retaliator than simply doing double cut. Each hit of DC is 80% of your normal damage vs each counter hit being full damage.

There's also the benefit of counter hits switching targets if the first one defeats the enemy (it will even carry over to the next round). Even if the first hit defeats them, one can still hit an enemy twice with DC.

Brandson

I also just mastered elite Odin without retaliate. It wasn't as hard as some of the other recent elite final stages, although it did help to have shellga and protectga gear.

Saerk

Went back and retried the 2 Open Weight challenges from the Tifa event. Barely championed Schizo, and I cleared Proud Clod with ease this time. Took Rinoa as the RW and honed up a second thundaga to 8/8. The extra damage really helped me last.

SunGod

Lightning boss rush was one of the easiest yet?

Brynhildr was pretty fun though... I went with the Retaliate + Sentinel method with Magic Breakdown + Shellga. Just a case of praying she doesn't use Pyroburst before you have those set up. Lost one medal for damage taken and that was it :)

Time for the story dungeons...

johnsmith

remember me
I wish i knew this update was coming, would have saved up some stamina.

And finally hit 65 with Cloud. Hurry up with that 2nd memory crystal!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep playing the game, but I figure being able to get Shellga would be something to salvage out of all this.

So, assuming I'm fine with healing with mythril after every round of the boss rush, can I do it with this potential party?

Wakka for Magic/Mental Break.
Quistis with Thundaga/Firaga at level3
Rydia with Firaga/Thundara at level3
Tyro with whatever 2* spell I can muster + poison
Selphie with Healing + Slow (or something else)

Or should I not even bother because I basically have a pretty crap party? lol

broz0rs

phew.. My team is around lower lv. 30's and I was able to get the Tifa memory crystal at the Mage path before the event ends tomorrow. I really wanted to get the crystal so I used up all my abilities at the mobs, auto-battled at the boss stage until I died, and continued with a Mythril to get my abilities back. Vivi with Thundara and RW Rinoa with Angel Wing Bolt did all the damage. Next goal is to get Lightening's crystal before the event ends. She's so amazing with a gun, probably my favorite character to use.

phew.. My team is around lower lv. 30's and I was able to get the Tifa memory crystal at the Mage path before the event ends tomorrow. I really wanted to get the crystal so I used up all my abilities at the mobs, auto-battled at the boss stage until I died, and continued with a Mythril to get my abilities back. Vivi with Thundara and RW Rinoa with Angel Wing Bolt did all the damage. Next goal is to get Lightening's crystal before the event ends. She's so amazing with a gun, probably my favorite character to use.

Yeah, I love that she can use guns!

LucaMac

Got Gordons memory crystal, yay! Now I can put that powerhouse back in my set up without losing exp. We missed you Gordon you overpowered lunatic. With him breaking the level cap it will be simple enough to solo the boss rush.

MicH

My god, combining is so expensive. Just used up 1 million gil just by combining my stuff, and I still have a million things to work on. Gotta stockpile materials today and go ham on the gil dungeon tomorrow

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep playing the game, but I figure being able to get Shellga would be something to salvage out of all this.

So, assuming I'm fine with healing with mythril after every round of the boss rush, can I do it with this potential party?

I mean if you're already going to quit, what's there to lose trying, heh. Adds to the excitement and all that.

Blowing everything per round is a huge power level boost though. It's the same concept behind being able to do 1 stage of a Heroic daily and bail. For what it's worth it also refreshes your Friend Summon uses.

LucaMac

Die and revive at every boss instead of healing in between rounds though or you'll miss out on the bonus's which would help out big time. Especially ability usages.

Road

My first solo ex++ kill. Relatively easy with advance retaliate and the 5* synergy bracer for resistance.

Video solo: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w...7Hy=m22?cpn=2OaNfvAXqYncnUTs&c=WEB&cver=html5
Video full party https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z...e2y=m22?cpn=Wyaknl_f5MCaBb4O&c=WEB&cver=html5

gyAmpJNUV5_3wkQ3_zQvHFRSiEty1H3nIC86pwmDTGtA=w350-h1557-no
O0a00lpnsd6Dc2oK0TfAKOV0AaFIw1QAlNo9JClKHpiw=w350-h1557-no

Bring sleep and poison for Bottomswell. Thundara is also better for the weakness than Firaga.

Falk

that puzzling face
My first solo ex++ kill. Relatively easy with advance retaliate and the 5* synergy bracer for resistance.

I'd do this too except Cloud can't use my Regal Gown. Pyro hitting for 2.5k is a little too much and I CBA to RNG where it's not used more than once in a row every once in a while.

CLOUD CROSSDRESSES IN THE SOURCE MATERIAL WTF DENA

Balphon

Got Gordons memory crystal, yay! Now I can put that powerhouse back in my set up without losing exp. We missed you Gordon you overpowered lunatic. With him breaking the level cap it will be simple enough to solo the boss rush.

He's actually not terrible if you have one of the three or so magic weapons he can use. If they actually cared enough to allow him to equip rods he'd basically be discount Vanille with higher support.

MicH

Alright, boss rush down. Snow had more than 300 attack which is the highest I've had so far. The 4*++ Power Glove (oh yeah) I got during this banner (yes, ALL THREE) really came in handy after all

LucaMac

He's actually not terrible if you have one of the three or so magic weapons he can use. If they actually cared enough to allow him to equip rods he'd basically be discount Vanille with higher support.

He definitely could be worse. I had a maxed golden spear so he could hold himself with autobattle, but with a spear his magic was even more useless. It's just such a ridiculous thing that he can't equip rods.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bring sleep and poison for Bottomswell. Thundara is also better for the weakness than Firaga.
Ah right, forgot sleep.

Die and revive at every boss instead of healing in between rounds though or you'll miss out on the bonus's which would help out big time. Especially ability usages.
That's the bonus?

I mean if you're already going to quit, what's there to lose trying, heh. Adds to the excitement and all that.

Blowing everything per round is a huge power level boost though. It's the same concept behind being able to do 1 stage of a Heroic daily and bail. For what it's worth it also refreshes your Friend Summon uses.
I'm mostly afraid of running out of spells in the middle of a fight, which has happened before. Oh well, I guess if I don't care, 3 mythril is nothing.

I just want to salvage something from this game so I don't feel like I wasted two months on it. lol

Nohar

I finally decided to run the game on Droid4x.

Guys. Guys. Guys. There is no going back from this, especially after enduring the slowness of the game on my iPhone. This is just too great.

Anyhow: I will continue to complete Classic and Elite paintings until Sunday. Then it will be leveling time for Sazh and Lightning, with Monday being Boss rush and EX++ fight day.

LucaMac

That's the bonus?

Its one of them. If you revive after your whole party gets ko'd you get either 10% extra hp, attack, defense or 2 extra uses of EVERY ability, which is crazy over powered. They stack too, so if you've no problem spending mythril you'll eventually win. Always, ALWAYS die and revive instead of resting between stages. You get everything you get with resting plus one of those bonus's

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Its one of them. If you revive after your whole party gets ko'd you get either 10% extra hp, attack, defense or 2 extra uses of EVERY ability, which is crazy over powered. They stack too, so if you've no problem spending mythril you'll eventually win. Always, ALWAYS die and revive instead of resting between stages. You get everything you get with resting plus one of those bonus's
Wow, that's a pretty good buff. I'll keep that in mind.

johnsmith

remember me
It's relatively straightforward. Bring wind for Garuda and paralyze for Dreadnought. Odin has a little less HP than he does on Elite.
I'll just retaliate then.

This isn't going well. The defense on everything is way too high. Definitely the hardest boss rush in a long time unless you pulled a XIII sword. Going to need to use a Mythril just to heal to finish, absolutely no hope of mastering.

johnsmith

remember me
Ok the first 2 bosses were harder than the last 2. Had to burn a Mythril to heal but at least I did end up mastering. Going to have to start bringing 2 retaliates on Cloud as running out of that was the only reason I had to camp.

Vorpal

Having said that, right after the shitty pulls I went on and mastered all the event dungeons. I'm pretty confident I'll master also the ex+ and ex++ dungeons when they'll be out.

FOjHsaJ.jpg

Nice! There was a good post on the FFRK subreddit about the nature of 5* relics and inevitable power creep. Makes it a lot easier to talk yourself out of pulling on banners with characters you don't care about just because the relics seem useful.

Of course, when I whiff on a Bartz/Galuf/Faris banner I will immediately return to this thread in order to burn everything down

I wish it wouldn't show the character SB EXP screen after you have maxed out. It is just another thing on the victory screen to skip if that happens to be the best thing a character has.

FOjHsaJ.jpg

Nice! There was a good post on the FFRK subreddit about the nature of 5* relics and inevitable power creep. Makes it a lot easier to talk yourself out of pulling on banners with characters you don't care about just because the relics seem useful.

Of course, when I whiff on a Bartz/Galuf/Faris banner I will immediately return to this thread in order to burn everything down
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...anaging_expectations_a_guide_to_enjoying_the/

Shahadan

Oh my god I'm so close to selling the Betrayal Sword I got, the game is ALWAYS giving it to one of my character when I use Optimize. And there is always a better sword, even without synergy. It's annoying me so much

I don't want your crappy soul break, shut up and simply equip the best sword

Razmos

Oh my god I'm so close to selling the Betrayal Sword I got, the game is ALWAYS giving it to one of my character when I use Optimize. And there is always a better sword, even without synergy. It's annoying me so much

I don't want your crappy soul break, shut up and simply equip the best sword
Equip it on a core character that you never use.

Jesus the Knights Path boss rush in the Tifa event is just an absolute slog. The bosses are all annoying with bullshit AOE attacks or bullshit statuses, they all have ridiculously high defense, which is especially annoying when the entire point of the Knight Path is that the enemies are weak to physical attacks.

I managed to scrape through the first 3 stages and i'm waiting for my stamina to refresh for Gi Nattak, but this hasn't been fun at all. I'm using strong 5* items and honed abilities and I'm hardly scratching the bosses at all.

I hope 2 charges of Runic Blade can get me through the final fight, but i'm doubting it at this point. And all this is just for the first time reward, the idea of getting mastery is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom