• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanctuary Keeper mastered. Fairly annoying but didn't take me too long. Yuna had not even a sliver of HP left though, couldn't even see any blue on her health bar.

Who greenlights shit like Sanctuary Keeper? Two powerful AoE attacks which can also inflict status effects like slow, sleep, silence, sleep or confuse (sap too but meh) all completely at random because everyone loves RNG bullshit. Then again that is probably true to the source material. Damn you FFX!

Edit: I forgot to mention the bit where he uses reflect on you.

After countless Fabul castle battles finally got Summoner RM II. Why this randomness? Its the most boring thing.
Do the best rounds:stamina ratio when doing those types of ones (as the drop is determined per round) so that isn't fabul castle as you only get one round for one stamina, there are other dungeons while three rounds for two stamina. Also I tend to use the daily dungeon, events and sometimes even have mutiple characters going (bit hard now that Fran is the only one I have left...and I really don't want to fight Demon Wall for her MC, it is another RNG bullshit boss) as that way I'm not really wasting stamina on a single grind.

Nohar

Who greenlights shit like Sanctuary Keeper? Two powerful AoE attacks which can also inflict status effects like slow, sleep, silence, sleep or confuse (sap too but meh) all completely at random because everyone loves RNG bullshit. Then again that is probably true to the source material. Damn you FFX!

This kind of boss wouln't be so unfair if we could bring more abilities and if the boss would not use moves so powerful right off the bat. Frankly, the gameplay experience is flawed to its core, and could use a lot of improvements.

Falk

that puzzling face
I honestly think the nutjob moves should ALWAYS be choreographed and not RNG. Like, you want us to bring anti-petrify or anti-confuse or a counter to slow? Fine. Make the boss either use it on Turn X, or after going past a certain HP threshold. That way you're guaranteed to need to bring the counter, and the boss can be tuned more lax in other ways, rather than different attempts having wildly different outcomes based on your luck, and the 'optimum' loadout essentially assuming you'll have as few of the shit moves as possible, and then the fight essentially becomes a test of willpower as to whether you can savescum enough times for the stars to line up.

Dark Bahamut was an excellent example of good design. So was Schizo, since you were in control of when the heads die and use their on-death AOE attack. I believe the Core Ultima fight also locks out some absurd abilities till later in the fight, and then are almost guaranteed to use them.

I mean you could also take a page out of MMO design. Boss can use nutty abilities completely randomly, but there's an internal cooldown as to when it can be used again.

edit: That being said, I don't think Sanctuary Keeper was anywhere near as frustrating as Seifer trio. Higher numbers? Sure. As prone to RNG? Not by a long shot, despite how bad it can get.

forgrim

I honestly think the nutjob moves should ALWAYS be choreographed and not RNG. Like, you want us to bring anti-petrify or anti-confuse or a counter to slow? Fine. Make the boss either use it on Turn X, or after going past a certain HP threshold. That way you're guaranteed to need to bring the counter, and the boss can be tuned more lax in other ways, rather than different attempts having wildly different outcomes based on your luck, and the 'optimum' loadout essentially assuming you'll have as few of the shit moves as possible, and then the fight essentially becomes a test of willpower as to whether you can savescum enough times for the stars to line up.

Dark Bahamut was an excellent example of good design. So was Schizo, since you were in control of when the heads die and use their on-death AOE attack. I believe the Core Ultima fight also locks out some absurd abilities till later in the fight, and then are almost guaranteed to use them.

I mean you could also take a page out of MMO design. Boss can use nutty abilities completely randomly, but there's an internal cooldown as to when it can be used again.

edit: That being said, I don't think Sanctuary Keeper was anywhere near as frustrating as Seifer trio. Higher numbers? Sure. As prone to RNG? Not by a long shot, despite how bad it can get.

I disagree by a longshot. The amount of times he's mana breathed first turn before I could react or counter photond on a poison attempt that put 3 ppl asleep silenced or confused has made me singlehandedly hate this encounter design and the game. Tried to breakdown him and he counter photons again and now my team is out for the count.

Razmos

Final Fantasy XI dungeons scheduled for January in Japan. I'd imagine there would probably be an event before that point though.
next_image_1100.png

Also Laguna event and Selphie MC2 coming soon

ccbfan

When is a good time to roll relics.

I just started this game a few days ago and already accumulated 50+ mythrils.

I've only rolled twice so far (first roll and quest roll). My equipment is pretty weak right now but not have any problems since I rolled a 5 star weapon for one of my 2 rolls and just use helpers to kill bosses.

Balphon

Do the best rounds:stamina ratio when doing those types of ones (as the drop is determined per round) so that isn't fabul castle as you only get one round for one stamina, there are other dungeons while three rounds for two stamina. Also I tend to use the daily dungeon, events and sometimes even have mutiple characters going (bit hard now that Fran is the only one I have left...and I really don't want to fight Demon Wall for her MC, it is another RNG bullshit boss) as that way I'm not really wasting stamina on a single grind.

You're really going to love the Vaan event.

Nohar

When is a good time to roll relics.

I just started this game a few days ago and already accumulated 50+ mythrils.

I've only rolled twice so far (first roll and quest roll). My equipment is pretty weak right now but not have any problems since I rolled a 5 star weapon for one of my 2 rolls and just use helpers to kill bosses.

I would advise you to keep your Mythril for now. Try to continue and complete dungeons and events (though keep in mind you certainly won't be able to complete a lot of Elite paintings right away). Helpers won't OHKO bosses for too long, so begin right now to level up useful characters (if you can, get Auron from the current event).
Once you hit a wall, you may want to pull for better relics, although keep in mind that abilities and record materias are sometimes more important than the raw stats provided by equipment.
If you are patient, keep your Mythril for the Super Soul Break Festival, which should take place late november / december.

In any case, these are your priorities:
  • Complete Events before they are no longer available (up until you find yourself unable to continue).
  • Unlock stamina shards to increase your Stamina.
  • Level up characters to level 50 and more. Chances are you are going to use Cloud for a while.
  • Craft and hone useful abilities (mostly 3* and 4* ones; only a select few 1* and 2* are worth using).
  • Keep your Mythril for good banners. Bare minimum: wait for Terra's event, and maybe try your luck at Cloud's banner to get Organix. If you are very patient: wait for the Super Soul Break Festival.

MicH

I think the Cloud and Hope banners are decent. If the Cloud SSB banner (about 3 weeks away) has the Diamond Pin and/or Keepsake Ribbon then that's really good. Hope banner (about a month away, right after Cloud's) has Vanille's new rod (Protectga + AoE heal), Blazefire Sabre and Vega all which are excellent.

Otherwise wait for the SSB celebration. Don't pull until at the earliest the Terra banner as that's the first banner with four character relics (currently we only have two)

What is the super soul break event?
It is the third Soul Break Celebration event. This time, each banner has 6 SB relics - at least 1 of which is a SSB relic. The SSBs included in the different banners are: Cloud's +10 Atk Organics, Rinoa's +10 Mag Cardinal, Tidus's +10 Atk Force Saber, P. Cecil's +300 HP Sword of Light, Squall's +10 Atk Cutting Trigger and Tyro's +10 Atk True Judgment Grimoire.

I did eventually beat sanctuary keeper and sold most of the reward due to lack of inventory space. I didn't really do anything different compared to the failed attempts *shrug*.

If you want to see what Japan has these days for their 140 difficulty bonus battles then look no further:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNi9kRJRCsQ

Anyway I now have the problem where the game refuses to start up. I'm stuck at the pre Square-Enix logo loading wheel and eventually get a login timeout error telling me to reboot the app when the login screen didn't appear (which considering I've never had to log in is confusing) :(

I beat Sanctuary Keeper this morning, but his RNG bullshit wasted a lot more time than it should have. There's so many things that can go wrong and no good way to mitigate them.

1) Highly beneficial to inflict Slow. That means either using Slowga (reliable), but with RNG chance of getting hit by one of two nasty counterattacks that could inflict either slow or a multitude of other run-ending status effects.
2) Need to inflict Poison: Venom Buster is your best bet and that's still only ~30% or so.
3) Highly beneficial to inflict Reflect: Not doing so could result in him Hasting/Protecting himself, which can tank your entire run, or Esuna, which removes a great source of damage. Doing so runs the risk of the above counterattacks.
4) Have to get enough of your buffs/debuffs in before he uses an overly-powerful attack to either one-shot someone or bring your entire party below 50% on the first turn.

At least with the Seifer/Raijin/Fujin battle, you could have things under control in two turns or so and know whether or not it was going to be a solid run.

Meier

Does anyone actually enjoy the game any more? I feel like it has become a massive chore after all this time. :\ If the rewards from using mythril were slightly more reliably not shit, then the game wouldn't have lost so much luster over time.

Falk

that puzzling face
I've let the past 18 hours of stam just overflow :v

I'm pretty much in a holding pattern till Orb Dungeon.

Does anyone actually enjoy the game any more? I feel like it has become a massive chore after all this time. :\ If the rewards from using mythril were slightly more reliably not shit, then the game wouldn't have lost so much luster over time.

I've been feeling the same way lately. I went from not wasting any stamina to today, where I haven't even logged in once yet and I regularly go to bed with a full bar now. :/

Razmos

I'm still enjoying it, not playing every day like I used to (I still log in for the daily bonuses though) and I think that is helping somewhat.

Falk

that puzzling face
In my case, I'm kind of at the point where farming stuff has very, very little return. I don't have a problem with bosses, and won't till at the very least ++++ (but again, being able to plan like Batman, in both boss vulnerabilities/counters/etc. along with foreknowledge of events like Orb Dungeon) and I'm only going to get more mileage out of r4 abilities, and Greater Orbs are simply too much of a chore right now to bother in comparison to a consolidated burst of ~150-200 Mythril doing Orb Dungeon.

Up until Dark Bahamut, there was a sense of urgency. "You need a bunch of -ja spells". "You need to hone Valefor one more time" "You need to prep to be able to drop a R3 Bioga ASAP" "You need your characters to be high level for reqs", and so on and so forth which made it imperative to not waste any Stamina when Black/Power day or XP daily was up.

And then after Dark Bahamut it was basically mage meta facerolling through everything.

At this exact point, in contrast, if you can last till Orb Dungeon, you're pretty much going to have every single character capped, about 40 million Gil and 4* orbs out the wazoo if you're smart and have ~200 Mythril in stock to throw at it. (Not saying it'll take 200 Myth, but better overcompensating than undercompensating, and whatever's not used gets to be used on SSBs yay)

Hard to justify running the dailies for 3*s, or Phantom Train or Humbaba or Barnabas (lol) for a trickle of 4*s, even with orb combination coming in this situation.

edit: Also doesn't help that this stretch of 4 events are vapid. Heh.

Definitely felt a bit burned out, but I've finally (almost completely) caught up on Elite Dungeons, so I've definitely been taking it a bit slower. Events are cake up 'til the EX+ and EX++, so I feel like I can spend less time thinking about it lately. I generally just run the daily dungeons or farm 4* orbs, which burn stamina pretty quickly and don't require much time. I do acknowledge that quitting probably wouldn't be a bad thing for me, but gosh darn it, I enjoy building up my roster of characters & spells.

Balphon

My enjoyment hasn't fallen off much at all. I still find gameplanning the difficult bosses partiuclarly compelling. I also haven't experienced the level of frustration with RNG that some others seem to have.

Contrariwise, though, my need to farm the daily dungeons has fallen off precipitously.

Kenai

My enjoyment was only deterred by needing to use Growth Eggs on a certain trash tier blue cat cause Blue Magic where. And still missed the cutoff by one measly medal. GRGRGRGRGRGRGRGJGJSFNDVHGV

Besides that the game is fine, still among the (if no the best) mobile f2p games out there, especially for a gatcha.

Glad to see they are eventually adding XI.

Please give us the online Cids. (aka The best Cids.)

The day they add a Galka character (or Roegadyn from 14) is the day I break my vow and whip out the credit card. Their relic WILL be mine.

Fingers crossed for a certain Stone Serpent General somewhere down the line (because the Scions of the Seventh Dawn hate Roes and are filthy racists).

Warrior finally getting his MC in Japan. He has arrived.

And his son Mid!
Definitely. Cid first though.

I want a party of all Cids. Preferably II, IV, VII, XI & XIV.

The day they add a Galka character (or Roegadyn from 14) is the day I break my vow and whip out the credit card. Their relic WILL be mine.
I don't even play the online FFs, but my friends do and there's so many awesome characters in the games.

I've been doing a lot of reading about them lately, and I'm really happy to see them being added to RK.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm definitely getting burned out just farming the daily for orbs and it's hard to get excited about burning all my stamina. I hope we get orb upgrades soon so I at least get motivated about honing rank 4 spells.

Nohar

I really wish they would modify the gameplay to allow us to use more abilities, even if you could equip only specific abilities in a third ability slot (ex: Knight-like characters could only equip Knight abilities in that 3rd slot, same thing for Monks, Bards and Dragons, etc). That way you would have the occasion to take and use some abilities which you wouldn't bring with you otherwise. It would also make boss fights more interesting and fun, instead of the actual RNG-fest some fights can become (though that wouldn't change the problem related to AI roulette and insane attacks turn 1, though better programming and Sequential Bosses can remedy that - see Yunalesca's fight in which the boss don't open with crazy moves until her HP goes down a bit). But yeah, I know, I keep repeating myself on that subject.

I don't know how much Mythril I will spend on the orb festival. I think maybe 50, depending on the drop rates?

You're really going to love the Vaan event.
I decided to confront my demon wall fears head on. Took advantage of rounds before it to haste up my party and get advance and retaliate running, threw slow on it and it only got to take 3 actions and its status attacks did not ruin me (having one party member stopped did make things last a little longer though). Having three hasted party members who could double hit made a lot of difference this time.

So yeah soon to look forward to round 2 in the FFXII event (especially as I imagine it will be a boss rush where I can't specalise myself so much, at the same time it should be weaker?). But anyway that isn't so much why I posted but rather the translation inconsistency. So Raithwall is a big plot point of FFXII which DeNA translated as Wraithwall except in the post dungeon text box it said Raithwall so maybe they're trying to fix that embarrassing little issue.

Final Fantasy XI dungeons scheduled for January in Japan. I'd imagine there would probably be an event before that point though.
Japan also just got FFXIV dungeons which interestingly enough are quite early content as they're difficulty 14 in classic (80 in elite) and appear to be unlocked Mako Reactor 5. Makes me wonder if the eventual FFXI dungeons will be handled in a similar way.

Balphon

I decided to confront my demon wall fears head on. Took advantage of rounds before it to haste up my party and get advance and retaliate running, threw slow on it and it only got to take 3 actions and its status attacks did not ruin me (having one party member stopped did make things last a little longer though). Having three hasted party members who could double hit made a lot of difference this time.

So yeah soon to look forward to round 2 in the FFXII event (especially as I imagine it will be a boss rush where I can't specalise myself so much, at the same time it should be weaker?). But anyway that isn't so much why I posted but rather the translation inconsistency. So Raithwall is a big plot point of FFXII which DeNA translated as Wraithwall except in the post dungeon text box it said Raithwall so maybe they're trying to fix that embarrassing little issue.

Demon Wall is the boss of the last two dungeons in the event and consequently appears twice in the boss rush. Every instance of it is significantly weaker than the elite story dungeon boss, though.

The mistranslation is annoying but is pretty par for the course for this game (see: "Sarah").

MicH

MY GOD JOSEF WHY WON'T YOU DROP YOUR GOD DAMN RM2

I've wasted so much stamina on trying to get Double Hit. Urgh. Maybe I should just try and get some Greater Wind Orbs to prepare for Steal Armor which comes in a couple of days. Too many good abilities uses those!

Razmos

Seymour Flux was kinda easy. I perma-silenced him. It was refreshing to be able to silence a magic flinging boss, because they are usually immune. He only managed to get off 3 attacks. 2 cross cleaves and a Total Anhilliation, they were pretty damaging though.

The triple Seymour boss rush looks.. annoying.

Azusa

Killed Sanctuary Keeper but Tellah was one shotted when boss had less than 10% HP so no Mastery for me. Sad.

Overall fight is easy but its hard to tell when my protect and shell buffs are over. Is there a simple guide? Also I have used Sentinel’s Grimoire RW but again I can't tell when I need to recast it. I just recasted them when boss had almost 50% but maybe it was too early I don't know.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's what I generally do too, for protect/shell/SG/Boon/LH. Cast at the halfway point. If the buff is longer, that's fine. If the buff is shorter, regardless if you cast early or late, you'd still have had a point in the fight where you aren't getting coverage though. Unless the boss has multiple phases, it doesn't matter if you're short on coverage at the midway point or at the end, the chances for bad timing on knockout abilities is still equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom