• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got 5 mythril.

Finally got Bahamut SIN (U) today, but only got expert. Ran out of ability uses towards the end. A hone or two more and I could master it, but don't really have the drive to go back and get it.

Got (U) Adel down too, very easy compared to Bahamut.

Bamahut SIN Ultimate was an exciting fight. To make up for my lack of good, damage dealing SBs, I honed the hell out of my skills instead. However, it was so worth it.

In the end, I used Aerith's AoE Cura once, but probably could have done the battle without it. I couldn't have done so with the shared Shellga on Red, however. That relic has been an MVP of mine for a long time now.

At the end, Red died to an unmitigated Flare and Aerith ate one too, but I was still able to pick up mastery. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that it was much more about strategy and execution vs RNG. \o/

IL399Oal.png

hxCH4Pzl.png

o8xgTaRl.png

Dragner

Banners of the new Tactics Event have all the good items of this one + more. So if you skip this one dont feel so bad there will be more options. 5th banner with platinum sword...platinum sword for everyone!!

Grzi

Damn @ this article

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...onde-avatar-exposes-dark-side-of-japan-gaming

It makes me feel a bit better about not being able to get specific Relics in FFRK and also about what I got so far.
But I have to wonder, how do Korean gacha games like Dragon Blaze and Seven Knights manage to stay so huge with them generally being extremely fair. I mean, both games basically throw premium currency and free pulls at you all the time, sometimes you have to grind a bit, but you basically have access to unlimited pulls, with some even guaranteeing the best characters. This is especially true for Dragon Blaze, I barely play that game and I already have an entire team comprised of deified allies (basically the equivalent of having a bunch of SSBs/BSBs).

Falk

that puzzling face
That's kinda like asking why some games are episodic and others aren't. Not every game has to have the same business model!

Grzi

That's kinda like asking why some games are episodic and others aren't. Not every game has to have the same business model!

That's true, but I think it's an interesting subject to explore. Maybe it's a cultural thing? Still, I believe FFRK (or Granblue once it gets its global release) would have a much easier time drawing in new players and keeping old ones by being a bit more generous with premium currency.

Falk

that puzzling face
I guess it's that time of the month where this post gets trotted out again!

It really isn't going to go away. Casual players, freemium players, pay-a-little-bit players, 'i refuse to spend money on the game but i totally would have bought it if it was a retail product' players, addicted-to-gambling-small-fish players, all these don't matter in the face of actual whales in terms of actual numbers.

When there are literally people out there whose two choices on a Friday night are to go out and spend $20,000 on booze and entertainment vs spending $3k splurging on a mobile game, it really is about getting as many of them as possible addicted to your game.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/04/21/mobile-gaming-monetization-whale-hunting/

If you cut the whale expenditures (ACTUAL whales, not "ha ha I spent $100 on this game") by half because of better rates, even increasing spending across the rest of the board by 20% is a net loss.

To simplify things a lot (and there are many other factors) - the easier it is to roll good shit in a gacha, the more likely it is to monetize a greater fraction of people, but at the same time, the faster it is for people who have serious money (virtually infinite by comparison) to throw at entertainment to get what they want and stop. There definitely is a point of inflection prior to which the former outweighs the latter, and any mobile developer worth their salt constantly runs and updates models based on latest market trends (hard data, not anecdotes) and monetize based on the results. Unfortunately even compared to 12 months ago, the environment has become a lot, LOT more whale-centric, which is both good and bad for everyone else. Good, because as long as whales exist, the games keep running. Bad, because things tend to get a little too pricey for the average player to consider.

It's not all doom and gloom, because any mobile game still needs a large player base to make it worth whales' time (and money) to invest - there's no point being King Cobra of a tiny deserted island. That means that it's still in a game's best interest to not drive free players away by having insurmountable content. On the flipside, what this also means that the more popular a branding (which translates into how big a playerbase it can draw), the less 'guarantees' the system needs to throw out to retain players. Anything related to Final Fantasy is honestly at the high end of that spectrum, for better or worse.

tl;dr summary of that report

2014 report - 50% of revenue came from 10% of spenders
2015 report - 64% of revenue came from 0.2% of all players.

They aren't directly comparable (not all players are spenders) but it's still very telling.

The fundamental thing that this all hinges on really is socio-economic imbalance. In other words, this is how the proverbial 1% manifests itself in the realm of gaming. As long as that colossal imbalance exists, businesses designed to capitalize on it will continue to exist. And we're more likely as a species to find a cure for cancer than to eliminate that gap.

Regulations can only go so far. Look at Japan - regulations are in place w.r.t. i.e. requiring accurate up-front info about ALL gacha rates, yet Japan is the largest microtransaction/gacha-based mobile revenue hotspot in the world.

edit: If this seems like it's going a little tangential, it was originally a post I made about FFRK's gacha rates w.r.t. way too many people claiming 'man if they made gacha rates better they would make so much money because I would totally be inclined to spend some money on the game'. Post has been iteratively refined and reposted more than a few times.

tenton

I managed to pull a 3rd place finish, so 50 mithril for me.

I can win things that aren't so important, but when it comes to things I desperately want, I don't have that sort of luck (lamenting my final loss for Love Live 6th tickets and the nail in the coffin for any attempted Japan trip at the end of this month).

Falk

that puzzling face
Keep in mind that post refers to a very specific business model. There are plenty of others out there.

I personally would have preferred a non-gacha framework because everything else, from content to tuning, is pretty baller for something that's very simply based around old-school ATB, but eh, it is what it is.

World of Final Fantasy wru

edit: Also topical: If Granblue Fantasy's upper limit cap sticks (300 pulls, get what you want) then they're also diverging from the target market of mega-whales, since $800 is a paltry cap vs what the top percentile are capable of spending. Mind you, $800 to get a certain digital trinket is still beyond the height of luxury for most sane people.

My free relic draw today was a black cowl

Falk.jpg

Edit: so I entered the sweepstakes and collected my mythril and it now says complete and has 1 of 3 stars filled. Is there something I can do to fill in the other 2 stars?

Edit 2: nvm figured it out 1 star is just getting the mythril, you then have to enter the contest (second star) then share to double your chances (third star)

Entropia

No One Remembers
Holy shit, I'm actually almost caught up on classic dungeons! I'm just about to do Castle Exdeath Part 4 (update 17)! :O

FFV, VI, and IX are pretty easy for me, I have a good amount of equipment for them.

^^ The trash in the Mount Galug (IX) dungeons was absolutely brutal I thought, many a SL after eating a Firaga.

Next DU hits soon I hope, pretty much just running Events at the moment outside of Sundays.

Jyrii

Banned
Is there an easy way to beat Bahamut SIN? I don't care about mastering it. Hybrid retaliate aoe had been unsuccesful so far.

Just had a blast cheesing Adel (my first and likely last full medal clear of an ultimate, thank you boss with uncharacteristically low defences for an Ultimate, long casting times on first turn abilities and AI that resets ATB upon phase change).

Also had a good daily dungeon run. Two major orbs in 40 stamina (one was power too).

Wow someone did a no unique soul break run of Bahamut sin (flames of War RW used and does have 7* RS Sword):
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...still_trying_to_clear_u_bahamut_heres_my_100/

LucaMac

Finally beat Bahamut SIN and Mastered it too.

This is a great strategy. It requires some high level hones, but besides that the rest should be not too difficult to obtain using your own gear. (I have a native medica, which I think is the only real part if the trinity that is almost essential for this strategy, but I could even see completing it without having one, though you'd probably have to restart a lot.)

Cheers for that. I squished Adel but struggled with Basin for the past week. Subbed in mighty guard for flames of war because Ive HoTE and it wasn't so bad at all. Only got expert because I thought I'd killed 8 dogs when I'd only got 7. Nothing better to do than go again now. Hopefully will master it before it goes.

Is there an easy way to beat Bahamut SIN? I don't care about mastering it. Hybrid retaliate aoe had been unsuccesful so far.
No.

But if you list what Soul Breaks you own along with your best VII items, we may able to give you a base strategy to work with.

Jyrii

Banned
No.

But if you list what Soul Breaks you own along with your best VII items, we may able to give you a base strategy to work with.

Unique Soul breaks:SG, Blade Beam, Planet Protector, Shadow Flare. Oerba's boon
VII 5*: Full Metal Staff, Candle Rod, One-Winged Angel, Organics, Murasame, Gold Sword(6*), Keepsake Ribbon (6*)

Yeah, Soul Breaks and equipment is there, but I am having problems with party/skill setup.

Unique Soul breaks:SG, Blade Beam, Planet Protector, Shadow Flare. Oerba's boon
VII 5*: Full Metal Staff, Candle Rod, One-Winged Angel, Organics, Murasame, Gold Sword(6*), Keepsake Ribbon (6*)

Yeah, Soul Breaks and equipment is there, but I am having problems with party/skill setup.
Yo, with all that you shouldn't need to ask much, haha.

Just copy my setup above for the most part. Lifesiphon on Cloud to spam that Blade Beam, Fire Blossom on Sephiroth. Focus on physical since you have Planet Protector. You could try Fira Strike or Ifrit/Phoenix on Tyro for quicker Sentinel's charges.

Jyrii

Banned
Nope, cannot do it.

Tried party of:
Cloud: Magic break, Lifesiphon (Blade beam)
Sephiroth: Fire BLossom, Armor break
Squall: Bladeblitz, Power Break
Tyro: Full Break, Lifesiphon (SG)
Aerith: Curaja, Protectga (Planet Protector)

RW was Stoneskin II, would have picked boon or Planet protector instead, but couldn't get either.

I got Bahamut SINS's HP down to 2/5, but then everything went to shit as Aerith needed to both heal and use Planet Protector.

Gonna head to bed now. I will try it again tomorrow with other RW.

MicH

Blade Beam should take out two Creepers completely under PP. Put Ace Striker and Lifesiphon on Cloud as well. You only have to kill 6 Creepers if there are two alive when Bahamut gets killed

Give someone Drain Strike to help Aerith with the Healing

WarAdept

Nope, cannot do it.

Tried party of:
Cloud: Magic break, Lifesiphon (Blade beam)
Sephiroth: Fire BLossom, Armor break
Squall: Bladeblitz, Power Break
Tyro: Full Break, Lifesiphon (SG)
Aerith: Curaja, Protectga (Planet Protector)

RW was Stoneskin II, would have picked boon or Planet protector instead, but couldn't get either.

I got Bahamut SINS's HP down to 2/5, but then everything went to shit as Aerith needed to both heal and use Planet Protector.

Gonna head to bed now. I will try it again tomorrow with other RW.

Quistis as a RW with Mighty Guard VIII would help you out the most here. You don't have Shellga as an ability and the Hastega will help you mitigate damage/burn through Gigaflare phases.

I'd slap on Magic Breakdown on Tyro instead of Lifesiphon if you have Mako Might/Dr Mog's Teachings on him already.

MicH

Yeah you don't need SSII RW if you have SG with you. Haste will help you a lot, especially if you go with Red Scorpion as the High Regen will help out with healing

ZangBa

Couldn't do it. Tried all kinds of configurations but unless I want to spend more Major Orbs than I'd be getting honing abilities, it wouldn't be worth it. Even something as simple as Vanille's MC2 would have helped me, but since they are pushing out these events in a sped up order, we're technically getting a more difficult version of this boss. Oh well.

Kaiterra

Banned
Couldn't do it. Tried all kinds of configurations but unless I want to spend more Major Orbs than I'd be getting honing abilities, it wouldn't be worth it. Even something as simple as Vanille's MC2 would have helped me, but since they are pushing out these events in a sped up order, we're technically getting a more difficult version of this boss. Oh well.

Yeah I think that's why he's especially overtuned, because he came out AFTER all the anniversary goodies in Japan.

A medica + regen SB is really useful for Bahamut Sin due to the sap. Try taking Yuna/Lenna RWs and have Tyro provide wall - damage output shouldn't be an issue with ur Cloud + Sephiroth.

Is there any trick to ultimate adel? The game says to focus on a melee party but my ff8 synergy is almost all magic based (2 of selphies old nunchuck, rinoa's ssb, a blitz sword, and a 5 star knuckle). Guessing dispel strike will be mandatory to keep shell off to maximize my magic damage.

Is there any trick to ultimate adel? The game says to focus on a melee party but my ff8 synergy is almost all magic based (2 of selphies old nunchuck, rinoa's ssb, a blitz sword, and a 5 star knuckle). Guessing dispel strike will be mandatory to keep shell off to maximize my magic damage.

Not really. Just do heavy mitigation and go to town. Her DEF is pretty bad tho, so people have been doing Retameta

Not really. Just do heavy mitigation and go to town. Her DEF is pretty bad tho, so people have been doing Retameta

Yeah just got it on the first try, nat trinity and using a bssb as a rw was too stronk. Having Rinoa with her ssb weapon and level 80 in the ff8 realm meant even with shell up my aja spells were doing 7500 damage.

Grzi

Bahamut Sin was HARD.

Made the mistake of waiting until the last moment to fight him so I couldn't switch my team around, which really fucked me over. Not to mention I forgot to put Drain Strike on Cloud and left him with a useless Tempo Flurry. Plus, it was late last night, I was tired so I went to bed and fought him this morning at 6AM.

I really need Cloud's MCII, him being level 65 wasn't helping.
Still, did it, so it's all good.

WarAdept

So what's less valuable:

Mondaily (Fire and Earth) or
Satdaily (Ice and NE).

2 Power days, EXP Sunday and Wind/Lightning are basically non negotiable due to how valuable those orbs are for upcoming abilities.

Holy is super important for Saints Cross and Dark orbs for Darkness skillset.

Basically these days are my event days. I'm leaning towards dropping Fire /Earth. Seems to have the least amount of useful skills for future proofing.

Dragner

Lets hope we get the orbfest missing. I need ice orbs so badly. I cant play much on saturdays because I do active stuff so I cant take my phone out. I have 2 Ice major only :(. Full break so far for me.

Kain

This relic event seems aimed at everyone, even if they don't have much equipment, because I have zero FFI sinergy, I'm not using WOL (lol no way) and I've stomped all the fights so far with mastery. The bosses are weak to blind, poison, break and stuff. Oh, I just remembered, they are even weak to sleep lol

Maybe Garland is a little bit harder, but from what I've read his health is ridiculously low, so I'm guessing with a Fusion sword RW you can easily kill him.

PS: Ah, Adel raped me the other day, even with the Selphie RW. I'm thinking of using a full physical DPS team with someone who can cast heals (Beatrix maybe?) and bring mitigation through the RW, I don't know if the DPS will suffice. Well, I have one more week to try, I'm leveling up more people xD

Grzi

The next Ultimate can supposedly be cheesed with a full retaliate team like Beatrix. You just need one Dragoon because he can't be reached by melee attacks unless you use Jump on him first. Should be fun.

LucaMac

You only have to kill 6 Creepers if there are two alive when Bahamut gets killed

I am ridiculously pissed right now. I could have easily mastered this fight 7 or 8 times by now. I've been hanging on leaving Basin with a decent amount of health to accommodate AOE so I could take out dogs 7 and 8 before finishing off the big prick himself. Just that morning I left him with about 2000 hp and tried to deal with the dogs using single target attacks and all their AOE dark nonsense was too much...all I had to do was attack once. Bollocks.

Dragner

The next Ultimate can supposedly be cheesed with a full retaliate team like Beatrix. You just need one Dragoon because he can't be reached by melee attacks unless you use Jump on him first. Should be fun.

Sweet because my FF9 synergy sucks and Im not going to pull here.

So in Japan Ramza has a BSSB and considering Scream is a very good SSB you would expect it to all be great...not exactly. It is still a BSSB and isn't as bad as Yuna's but it just nothing worth screaming about :p

Wazzy

Banned
All classics done. Since I'm done all current events I'll just pick off some elites(I don't think I'll ever get elites caught up but at least I'm always finishing VIII elites) until we get something new. I like this time for catch up.

DejectedAngel

Neo Member
Naturally the character that I like the most (Yuna) gets the worst BSSB :(

At least I still have HoTF, although even that is being overshadowed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom