• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pejo

Finally hit my threshold to at least make Full Break. Wont' be able to hone it unless I get really lucky with Major Ice Orbs from cactaurs though. Man, ignoring the harder content has really put me behind on some great abilities.

I'm finally going to try Dreadnought tonight. Need that MC2. I'm going to try with my usual team of Red - Support and Lunatic High, Pecil - Blind Strike and Curaja, Locke - Steal Power and Slow, Jecht - Boostga SB and lifesyphon spam. The only thing still up in the air is my last spot. It's usually either Balthier or Squall for spellblade, but they don't look particularly useful here, so maybe I'll bring a blm? Any recommendations for a spellcaster specifically for Dreadnought? Or would I be fine with Squall or Balthier?

I don't know why this is making me so nervous. I guess because there's so much content right now, I don't want to waste stamina.

I'm finally going to try Dreadnought tonight. Need that MC2. I'm going to try with my usual team of Red - Support and Lunatic High, Pecil - Blind Strike and Curaja, Locke - Steal Power and Slow, Jecht - Boostga SB and lifesyphon spam. The only thing still up in the air is my last spot. It's usually either Balthier or Squall for spellblade, but they don't look particularly useful here, so maybe I'll bring a blm? Any recommendations for a spellcaster specifically for Dreadnought? Or would I be fine with Squall or Balthier?

I don't know why this is making me so nervous. I guess because there's so much content right now, I don't want to waste stamina.

Thing has no weaknesses, so you're better off just bringing things you can do the best damage in and just pair it up with the appropriate breakdown

I'm in the middle of the fight so I can't screencap, but here I go

Garnet lvl 80: Curaja R4 and Protectga R3 (shared crappy medica SB)
Yuna lvl 72 (I think): Curaga R5 and Shellga R2 (shared crappy medica SB)
Leila lvl 65: Tempo Flurry R4, Lifesiphon R2 (Hastega+Shellga SB)
Zack lvl 65: Blizzara sword R3, Fira sword R3 (Air Strike SB, mainly the reason he's here)
Joseph lvl 65: Kick R4, Lifesiphon R2 (Avalanche SB)

RW: SG of course

Yuna looks like the only weak link here. Might be worth putting a Black Mage instead and giving them the Shared Medica - Bioga would help a lot in getting that Thunder Gigas down towards the end!
Good luck! (Edit: I see you beat them, good job!)

He's not that bad don't worry. Try and spread out Silencing and Blinding attacks across your characters and he'll end up wasting turns trying to Steam Clean for most of the fight. No need for a Black Mage specifically here, but Balthier can carry the new machinist abilities I think which are really strong.

greyshark

Baaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha fuck you three bastards, I got you in the end. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No mastery as I predicted, but fuck them.

The problem is that without shellga and lifesiphon on Leila I can't survive when they start throwing magic. And I don't have those two RM, I'm stupid and used all my lodes on Sephi, Gilgamesh and Rinoa xD

I'm going to try now changing Lifesiphon on Leila for some dark stuff, I think the extra three medals can help with the mastery.

PS: Zack and Air Strike are god, I find him way more useful than Cloud. That is because I don't have any Cloud SSB, of course, but Zack is still better.

PS2: I got double hit RM for Josef. Checking around the internet I think people had a lot of trouble with that. It's the first FFII anything I run with him lol

Have you gone through the Nightmare dungeons yet? A fourth MC II Lode is a reward there.

Kain

Nope, Leila can't access Dark buster, so fuck the mastery in this fight. I could try with Zack and getting rid of Fira strike but whatever, I'm happy I downed them.

Finally hit my threshold to at least make Full Break. Wont' be able to hone it unless I get really lucky with Major Ice Orbs from cactaurs though. Man, ignoring the harder content has really put me behind on some great abilities.

Dreadnought as in the Nightmare thing? It's the only fight of the five that I couldn't get mastery, the thing has no weaknesses and its HP is through the roof (I think it's higher than most Ultimates). You will lose medals for actions because fortunately it doesn't hit very hard and if you keep it debuffed it will waste a lot of time cleansing itself. I would take whoever is strongest in your team if your XIII synergy is not very high, Personally I'm waiting to have stronger people to master it in the future.

Grzi

Man, I was hoping we'd get double the usual amount of Growth Eggs from the Tactics event since we're getting two new characters. Guess not, too bad.

Pejo

Thanks for the tips on Dreadnought guys. I'll try my current planned strategy tonight, and I guess use Gilgamesh Retaliate method if it doesn't work later tonight.

Maxed out all my characters including all sbs learned, losing the drive to keep farming summon orbs particularly considering I'm getting more fire than anything else. At about + 4 major summons, not including the three freebies. Was shooting for ten total major summons orbs after the event, we'll see if I can stomach it.

Kenai

My Gigas setup:

Garnet with Shellga + Valefor (Divine Guardian/Dr Mog)
Selphie with Curaga + Protect (Dreamstage/Mind booster)
Sephiroth with Lifesiphon + Yukikaze (Shadowflare + Black Materia/Katana boost)
Bartz with Tempo + Steal Power (Trueblade/Ace Striker)
Rinoa with Blizzaga + Bioga (Wishing Star/Witch of Sucession)

RW: SG/SS2

With the exception of lvl 80 Garnet they were all in the 60s so I imagine my fairly OP SSB lineup could be replicated by getting more levels/hones on your characters.

My strat was pretty simple: stack mitigation (a native wall probably makes this a lot easier, same as native Hastega). and focus down Ice > Fire > Thunder in between applying mitigation

Seph used all his Yukikazes to fish for Blinds and then would Shadowflare if not,
Bartz would Tempo til proc then save the rest for weak phases or pre-weak phase Thunder.
Selphie on Cure duty.
Garnet Divine Guardian, Shellga, and 2nd RW use in between Valefor.
Rinoa spell peppering current focus target.

Without Wall up they hit pretty hard, without the rest it would have been unmanageable imo. Tempo was more unreliable than i would have liked but I needed dmg so i had to s/l a few times..I would have rather focus Fire first and save more Biogas for T Gigas but Tempo didn't land often enough that way. Was crucial to get either Ice or Fire down before needing to reapply Wall a second time, but even with one dead and Wall down they could easily focus down a single character before healing would save them with Protect, Shell, Trueblade defense and Guardian mresist. That's how dumb the dmg was.

Thunder Gigas weak was a serious pain cause Wall was always down by then and he could easily spam Spark, so I ended up saving a lot of my damaging SBs (2+ each my winning attempt) cause his normal attacks + all the counters were such bullsheet even with all that mitigation up. That way I could mow him down with Trueblade + Wishing Star + Shadowflare/Black Materia while chain Dreamstage-dodging Sparks and praying he missed Rocks while blinded. it's the counterattacks that really get you in that and SBs are the only attacks he won't counter.

Wondering if I create and R3 Flare to use all those MFO. I am pretty good on 4* BLM abilities, MBO are not needed much until I want to make Dark Zone... I am thinking Flare for my BLM using Blood of the Espers. With Lulu's Hairpin I am pretty safe with using that RM on a character. Decisions decisions!

Wondering if I create and R3 Flare to use all those MFO. I am pretty good on 4* BLM abilities, MBO are not needed much until I want to make Dark Zone... I am thinking Flare for my BLM using Blood of the Espers. With Lulu's Hairpin I am pretty safe with using that RM on a character. Decisions decisions!

I have Flare at R3 - it's 'okay'. I usually pair it with a -Ja. Fairly reliable damage, but it's not a game changer as usually I like using mages for exploiting the elemental weaknesses of a boss. Agreed with the Fire Orbs though - I may take Firaga Strike up to R4+5 but other than that they are fairly worthless right now...

If it wasn't for Saints Cross I would have taken Holy to R3 as I often use 2 WHM to Ultimates, and it is a decent upgrade over Diaga.

I have flare r3 and it's nice to carry on non ultimate battles so you don't have to worry about elemental resists or absorbs, just nuke those guys down quickly and move on to the real battles.

Nohar

I wonder if I should hone Flashing Blade, now that I have Seph's SSB. It could be a nice filler ability (and AoE are always nice).

I wonder if Flare and Flare Blade (for Bartz) are worth it... Hmmm... Maybe if I get Celes' SSB? Sadly, this Mystic Knight is kinda frail.

Went into Ultima Buster with the correct strategy (i.e., read what triggers what counter) and made short work of him. How do you get more 6* mats? Farm Nightmare?

Might try for Gigas mastery, but I don't know if I want to do that again

Lol @ this Gigas fight. At least I championed everything running up to it.

I'd like to go on record that the Emperor took a few turns, because he spammed Starfall 3x for two consecutive bouts. Resistance is all well and good, but Mighty Guard can't stop that unless your timing with Magic Breakdown is on point.

LucaMac

How do you get more 6* mats?

Event bonus battles and nightmare dungeon rewards or dismantling 6* abilities that you get through the record dive system using tokens from the event currently running in Japan right now. No drops or other source yet. Most people have only just got to the point where they have enough materials to make one of those abilities in recent weeks. I still haven't as I only started two events from now and wasn't strong enough for bonus battles that gave them as rewards for a while.

EDIT: On a different note I just got Golbez from level 50 to 60 in 120 stamina. Mighty satisfying. Major summon orb was a bonus. Just 5 more mages to solo through to get all named characters to 65 and I can start leveling from 65 to 80 on the twice broken characters. Might go one leveler and one random core from 50-65 with cids exp materia. Have Bard and Ranger to 65 already for their MC2.

Pejo

I was just looking over 5* abilities, and I just now saw that monk 5-hit skill. What's the over/under on it? I have Jecht as a staple of my party for Boostga, so would it be a good use of orbs? I already plan to get Thief's Revenge next for my MC2 broken Locke, so this is for way ahead, just doing a bit of planning.

Razmos

Oh wow, according to the subreddit, Vanille's new record materia is double the healing potency of Garnet's Healer RM. Nearly 1000 health per cast for free is pretty great.

My first SSB (from the final Lucky Draw) has already paid dividends for me. That + Divine Guardian were lifesavers in this Ultimate. Yukikaze was also super important, as I blinded all 3 of them after a few casts. I only had to S/L once because Cecil got ganked before I had any mitigation up.

D51AgDn.png

VMSPUz4m.png
FPrnVDCm.png

SBs: Angel Wing Quake on Rinoa (used once for Slow). Hell's Gate on Sephiroth (used once for an extra AoE hit after Yuki ran out). Saint's Fall on Cecil (spammed for burst at ~15k per cast). Healing Wind on Aerith for Medica (used once or twice).

Everything went super smooth, taking out Fire then Ice and leaving Lightning for last. LG focused on Aerith at the very end, killing her right before I landed my final attack.

WarAdept

Arrrrgh what's the song that plays in Orbfest menus? It's driving me crazy that I can't remember the name. It sounds like FF8 but I could be completely wrong.

I really dunno what to do with my mythril, I'm sitting at 575 and done a few refreshes each phrase but outside of banner 1 and the lucky banners there aren't any banners that seem that compelling to me outside of Tactics. I would love another good offensive SSB since Zidane's doesn't play nice with scream meta but nothing since Ultimate Vossler has really been that stressful due to the wide variety of 5 star stuff I have everywhere. I already have the holy trinity including multiple hastega and medica relics so banner 5 isn't that interesting and as a whole banners 3-5 I already have 1-2 relics that are featured. My FFX synergy isn't great, but Yuna's BSSB banner doesn't interest me in the slightest, the next banner set with synergy I need is the upcoming ff12 banners.

I know this is truly the biggest example of the rich complaining about having too much money and I apologize for people who haven't been as lucky, but I think Falk put it best when he said "it's like saving all your elixir till endgame since you may need them and then never using them when you could/should have".

WarAdept

3* for gems this phase. I would've been happy with just Fang's Spear. It's the only 5* weapon type I don't have and I enjoy mashing Sky Grinder/Leeching Leap.

Negator

I really dunno what to do with my mythril, *SNIP*.

If I were in your position, I'd pull on Banner 5/Tactics until you have 3 good physical SSB + Scream.

Beyond that, if you're having no trouble with the content, honestly I'd just keep saving to pull for characters you like.

ZangBa

I don't know about you guys, but the wait for Tactics right now is killing me. That and Dark Souls 3 combined. I just want to use my Mythril, damnit.

MrDaravon

Got a 3* from the 100 gem pull, did a 3 mythril pull and got 3 more 3*s. Decided to do one more single mythril pull and got Organics! Pretty happy since I've had Cloud at 80 for a while with no character relics, and it's no Fenrir but that's a decent SB, sure as fuck better than his default at least.

6 pulls, all junk. Still no 5*s from this celebration. Hopefully that changes with Banner 4 (4 pulls planned) and 5 (48 pulls planned).

Today's pull was pretty good:

5* Brotherhood FF10
5* Machine Gun FF8
5* Zantetsuken FF5
4* Defender FF1 (I now have 2 4*++ of these)
4* Nodachi FF10 (Already had a 4*++ and now I have Wakka's ball, Thief Dagger, Tidus' Sword, 5*++ Warrior's Sword and Celebration dagger so this probably isn't worth keeping)
4* Healer Staff FF13 (Already have 5*+ Wyrmfang but a second staff is nice I suppose)

And then 5 3*s two of which I combined and the other 3 I sold because I have way better stuff.

Super happy though with Gilgamesh's sword, he's my new Advance/Taunt/Retaliate monster.

Vilifier

Neo Member
Spent 30 mythril and finally drew a relic, very happy to get Maduin's Horn. Also nice to have a better rod for FF6 synergy. Been using 4* Gravity Rod since I first started the game.

I really need to replace my Healing Wind... Wondering if I try a few single pulls here or do a 50 Mythrils on Relm 1... I am already pulling twice on Relm 2 for Celes' SSB, Terra's SSB and Kekfa's Cloak.

Edit: Or I go harder on FFT hoping for Ramza's 40% heal and I use that with Healing Wind if I get it...

Balphon

I really need to replace my Healing Wind... Wondering if I try a few single pulls here or do a 50 Mythrils on Relm 1... I am already pulling twice on Relm 2 for Celes' SSB, Terra's SSB and Kekfa's Cloak.

Relm and Shadow's SSBs are demonstrably better than anything on this banner, so if you are only targeting it for the heal I'd wait for that. The trade off is a lower net chance to pull a character SB, obviously.

Okay, at this point I can't keep hoarding 3★++ stuff that I'll probably never use (at least weapons).

This is going to be hard, I'm gonna need a good beer and some time with the Synergy Simulator.

c-murph

Got me Maduin's Horn (Terra) and Brotherhood (Tidus) on one pull. Sweet.

Brotherhood will go nicely with Seeker's Shield (Tidus).

Nightmare fight was very easy, didn't even need shellga just a rw garnet ssb, heck I didn't even bother using the curaga I brought just went full offense.

Seriously though who at Dena thought it was a good idea to not give the player enough crystals to make the 6 star ability after clearing the nightmare? Like seriously what were they thinking? It's not like 2 cast of a 6 star ability was going to suddenly unbalance the game for anyone strong enough to beat the nightmare dungeon.

MrDaravon

Okay, at this point I can't keep hoarding 3★++ stuff that I'll probably never use (at least weapons).

This is going to be hard, I'm gonna need a good beer and some time with the Synergy Simulator.

I did this a couple of days ago, and I was "only" at about 250 items, I'd have to imagine you've got way more than that. I just wound up making a list of all of my items broken down by type and their native and then RS stats to get a general idea of what gear I had in what realms and where I could realistically get rid of stuff. Outside of having played for long enough now to recognize 3++ items I have literally never used, a lot of stuff wound up being only very slightly better than native 5*s I had in the same type, much less 4++/5+ stuff. And at a certain point you probably realistically need 5 3++ heavy armors for the same realm, and any gains you're getting off that over native gear is low single digits at best. Wound up shaving off like 40 or so items off between just outright getting rid of stuff and combining stuff further than I had before (4+/5+ etc).

Feels fantastic, but it took foreverrrrrrrrr. Also you're right about weapons being most of the dead weight; one with specific exception (I had a gajillion FF7 bracers for some reason) 3++ armor is still fairly relevant for me for RS purposes and I didn't ditch much there, I think there was just one realm where I got rid of one helm and one heavy armor. Weapons-wise I wound up mostly doing further combining and ditching of Rods and Daggers, that was by far what I had the most of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom