• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

I do have some, but question, do the effects stack? Can I power break something several times?

No.

The rule of thumb is that buffs/debuffs that have the same stat effect (e.g. -ATK, as with Power Break) will not stack with each other, and each new effect will overwrite the previous one, even if it is weaker. However, buffs/debuffs that have different effects will stack with each other, even if they affect the same stats in part.

E.g., Power Break (-ATK) stacks with Full Break (-ATK/DEF/MAG/RES), but not Power Breakdown (-ATK). And Boost (+ATK) stacks with Hand of the Emperor (+ATK/DEF), but not Shout (+ATK).

The sole real exceptions to this are Protect and Shell, which stack with everything.

c-murph

No.

The rule of thumb is that buffs/debuffs that have the same stat effect (e.g. -ATK, as with Power Break) will not stack with each other, and each new effect will overwrite the previous one, even if it is weaker. However, buffs/debuffs that have different effects will stack with each other, even if they affect the same stats in part.

E.g., Power Break (-ATK) stacks with Full Break (-ATK/DEF/MAG/RES), but not Power Breakdown (-ATK). And Boost (+ATK) stacks with Hand of the Emperor (+ATK/DEF), but not Shout (+ATK).

The sole real exceptions to this are Protect and Shell, which stack with everything.

Holy shit. I didn't know any of this. Thanks!

Anustart

Got beatrix crystal 2, woo. Had to bring 3 ff9 characters, and my synergy sucks. I got 3 thunder gloves tho, but no 9 physical weapons.

First attempt at him failed, and he didn't use any reflect, so I was taken aback on my second attempt when he used it. Luckily he started reflecting reflect off himself onto my party so I could still hit him with magic.

Took forever and got novice, but oh well. Now I'm leveling zidane up from level 1 since I can get him to 80 now. How bad is garland?

For the record stuff like protect, shell, haste, and reagen are treated like status condition like poison or sleep hence why they all stack. It's the pure stat altering buffs that only stack if they're different types.

c-murph

Yeah,this is key to surviving things that hit like a truck by layering up mitigation

Man, this is going to help so much on Ultimate Battles. I've been using Ramza for Shout, Aeris and her reraise SSB that acted as my insurance for battle and a combination of Lightning, Vivi, Tyro, Zidane and Agris for their SSBs. I been using RW Quistis Might Guard and Protect on Aeris for my damage reduction... Going to have to rethink all my actions now.

Balphon

For the record stuff like protect, shell, haste, and reagen are treated like status condition like poison or sleep hence why they all stack. It's the pure stat altering buffs that only stack if they're different types.

Essentially, yeah. Protect and Shell have their own status IDs that they don't share with anything else (207 & 208).

Alright, finally beat Garland! All it took was a few levels difference, a few advices from you guys (like putting Banishing Strike on Agrias which I was completely unaware was Holy damage based), a couple of my own tests (Draw Fire on Auron), Lifesiphoon on Zidane so he can spam Scoop Art and switching 6xCuraja for a 12xCuraga on Yuna (as I had enough mats to max it).

First round died because of pure RNG (Protectga wearing off just in time for him to use target-all wave x2) then used a mythril and got an offensive buff. That was pretty much gg.
If two Flares in a row didn't kill Auron and Agrias just at the end I would have gotten expert. But honestly, I'm just happy I got the MCII. Dark Zone is a massive bonus too.

Gonna skip on the rest of the event as I'm not strong enough and focus on collecting mythril for the next fest.

Mitigation Stacking can make or break many of the hardest battles.

For example: Most of Kuja's big AoE attacks were hitting for ~600 w/ Wall + Divine Guardian + Shellga + Full Break + Magic Breakdown + Lightning Resist accessories. Wall + Basch's Shield + Full Break also allowed me to shrug off his random physical hits.

The hardest part about ultimate Kuja + was those opening few turns if he randomly decided to do a lot of melee attacks especially when he's randomly melee my magic lure -.-

Kain

Finished U+ but couldn't master due to bad timing (I ate the Gravija for a second). Knowing I can finish this fight I'll try again after the next event so I'll use the Major growth orbs to skyrocket Beatrix and Zidane (both currently at lvl 73 or so).

Beatrix's magic blink is damn awesome, that plus her ability to Draw fire and/or cast Protectga/Shellga has earned a permanent spot in my Ultimates roster.

Oh yeah, Beatrix is much handier than I expected. I nabbed her ssb in this draw and her gloves in the white nightmare lucky draw, so she is useful fighting both pure physical and pure magic bosses. She is my first knight with an ssb, though I had two useful sbs with Edgar. She is....spectacular, thankfully she can hit 80 now and not wait for a couple months.

Rolling Beatrix in a team with selphie means I can dodge 5-6-7 magic hits per character. If only I had arcs ssb to add to the mix...or kimhari I suppose.

Pulled Beatriz's SSB (already had her seiken break) and Garnet's SSB.

So now I'm in a conundrum.

My previous ultimate party was:

Ramza (shout)
Agrias (SSB and Sheild SB)
Flex (Pecil or Greg)
Flex (Lightning (SSB) or cloud (w/ SSB but not BSB))
Yuna (hymn of the faith)

Beatrix can be swapped for Pecil and/or Gilgamesh pretty easy, maybe even Agrias,

But the question is Yuna, the regen is the same between her and garnet. Medium AOE heal vs + res & another hastega.

Obviously synergy is paramount, but on realms without synergy

Ramza (shout)
Flex (Pecil or Greg)
Yuna (hymn of the faith)

Beatrix can be swapped for Pecil and/or Gilgamesh pretty easy, maybe even Agrias,

But the question is Yuna, the regen is the same between her and garnet. Medium AOE heal vs + res & another hastega.

Have to use Wall as a rw correct?

Keep yuna over garnet you'll still want that medica, agrias and Beatrix cover too much similar ground unless you specifically want to give yuna a summon and curaja in which case they both could be useful with knight skill/elem strike and protectega/shellga. Gonna come down to what the boss is and what skills you need.

I decided to try five Mythril on refreshes, but it's not going so well so far.

Two orbs (white and lightning.. of course) and one materia, boo.

Whatever, I'll probably spend the whole ten if I end up brewery hopping with a friend today, otherwise I think it's a bust.

I'm tempted to pull on one of the IX banners, but I'm worried I'll just get more mage items. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have my first "blue" relic.

Ramza (shout)
Flex (Pecil or Greg)
Yuna (hymn of the faith)

I would go:
Ramza
Agrias
Beatrix
Lightning
Yuna

I'm assuming you're using a Wall RW. Agrias' SB when stacked with other mitigation (breakdowns, shellga/protectga, wall) already does a huge amount of damage reduction, so I don't think the extra RES from Garnet's SSB is worth trading away a party heal. If you weren't using a Wall on a magic heavy boss, then I could see using it instead of HotF.

Lightning's SSB gets a damage boost from Agrias' shield (boosts lightning damage when equipped) so I'd generally favour her over Cloud.

Have to use Wall as a rw correct?

Keep yuna over garnet you'll still want that medica, agrias and Beatrix cover too much similar ground unless you specifically want to give yuna a summon and curaja in which case they both could be useful with knight skill/elem strike and protectega/shellga. Gonna come down to what the boss is and what skills you need.

Yes, I do not have natural wall, so 80% of my RW are wall (SG and SS).

I'll swap Agrias for Beatrix for a while, see how it plays,

Would you like some Greater White Orbs on the side of your Major White Orbs? No? Well, that's all we have on the menu, sorry! You want to talk to Manager Gigantuar? He did not show up to work today, sorry. If you are lucky you might catch assistant manager Cactuar but he's pretty busy showing up in other people's game!

Terrible service...

If you need to drop a bosses attack or magic or whatever for a medal condition, does full break work to cover all ground? Just wondering

The only time it wouldn't work, is if the condition states a specific ability that needs to be used. For instance if it says to "Use Magic Breakdown to reduce ___'s Magic", rather than simply saying to "Reduce ___'s Magic".

The above is rarely a problem for U/U+ battles, but we had something similar with Hojo U+. The medal condition read: "Remove Hojo's Empowered form with Dispel." Using Banishing Strike to dispel the buff wouldn't meet the medal condition, despite getting rid of Hojo's buff.

WarAdept

Would you like some Greater White Orbs on the side of your Major White Orbs? No? Well, that's all we have on the menu, sorry! You want to talk to Manager Gigantuar? He did not show up to work today, sorry. If you are lucky you might catch assistant manager Cactuar but he's pretty busy showing up in other people's game!

Terrible service...

Fuck that got a laugh at out of me. Fucking White Orbs. Sure it's used for Chain Starter, but fuck DeNA. Need something cool to burn these puppies on.

...I need Wind Orbs pretty bad.

MiTYH

Hello! New player here, been following a guide I found on reddit to get started. I'm about level 25 all around, just did the 10+1 pull, but could use some pointers if anyone's up to it. Here's what I've got:

UNITS:
- (Avatar)
- Tidus
- Cloud
- Black Mage
- White Mage
- Vivi
- Warrior
- Wakka
- Kain
- Rydia
- Cyan
- Zidane
- Garnet
- Amarant
- Knight
- Ranger
- Bard

Weapons:
- 5-star Gungnir (XII)
- 5-star Dragon’s Claws (IX)
- 5-star Rune Staff
- 5-star Stormlance Grimoire
- 5-star Dragon Armlet (VII) - I have two of these now actually, does that matter?
- 4-star Wind Sword (II)
- 4-star Thronlet (V)
- 4-star White Rove (IV)
- Bunch of 3 and 2 star stuff

Questions:

- What characters should I be focusing on? For a team. So far I'm running Avatar, Cloud, Tidus, White Mage, and Black Mage. White Mage is killing it since I got the Rune Staff to give it the medium heal-all ability.

- All my units have a weapon and armor, but nothing fits in the third slot?

B.K.

I wish these Weekend Orb Rushes would last until Monday. I hate that they only go until Sunday night. It would be nice if they actually lasted a whole weekend.

SoulUnison

Banned
Got 4/5 of my main team up to 80 over the Orb Rush Weekend.

A2IvGUe.jpg

Anustart

Any chance of cloud mc2 tomorrow? Hes topped at 65 at the moment. Got yuffie to 50, have aerith at 50, but Rosa will serve me better I think with her miracle soul break. Luneth about to hit 80, my first one yay! Beatrix will be following shortly, she's at 70.

Almost spent money on this but saw the prices... newp

Cleared Kuja and now for grinding out normal missions again. So many events I always forget I can increase my stamina.

Pere

Neo Member
Hello! New player here, been following a guide I found on reddit to get started. I'm about level 25 all around, just did the 10+1 pull, but could use some pointers if anyone's up to it. Here's what I've got:

UNITS:
- (Avatar)
- Tidus
- Cloud
- Black Mage
- White Mage
- Vivi
- Warrior
- Wakka
- Kain
- Rydia
- Cyan
- Zidane
- Garnet
- Amarant
- Knight
- Ranger
- Bard

Weapons:
- 5-star Gungnir (XII)
- 5-star Dragon’s Claws (IX)
- 5-star Rune Staff
- 5-star Stormlance Grimoire
- 5-star Dragon Armlet (VII) - I have two of these now actually, does that matter?
- 4-star Wind Sword (II)
- 4-star Thronlet (V)
- 4-star White Rove (IV)
- Bunch of 3 and 2 star stuff

Questions:

- What characters should I be focusing on? For a team. So far I'm running Avatar, Cloud, Tidus, White Mage, and Black Mage. White Mage is killing it since I got the Rune Staff to give it the medium heal-all ability.

- All my units have a weapon and armor, but nothing fits in the third slot?
I'm no expert at it but:
  • Retire that black mage and white mage asap, they have crap stats. Use Vivi as a BLM, use Garnet as WHM.
  • Cloud is a safe bet, it's the favourite of DeNa and he will always get the new shinny stuff first.
  • I'd personally retire Tyro too, unless you get his SB Sentine'ls Grimoire he has not any use for a newbie.
  • Now what kind of team you want? I usally tell new guys to try a mixed team 1 whm 1 blm 1 melee 1 support 1 whatever is your favourite. From this point on doing dungeons and events + the 5* you'll get from banners will mostly push to towards one style or other. Maybe you get a lot of mage weapons from a few pulls, in that case it might be wise to bring another BLM as your 5th or maybe a summoner, etc..
  • Be aware that levels are not as important as your abilities. If you have a full 80 team and you still use crap abilities you WILL have a hard time, hone those and learn to love breaks.
  • About the third slot that's for accesories mostly if not only avaliable through events, i know that fat chocobo in JP sells accesories, dunno if it is implemented here yet tho.

Yes the prices are fucked. 30$ for an 11 pull? Maybe for 3$.

Only semi-reasonable thing is the 100 gem pull. Unless you are swimming in buckets of $$$ you really shouldn't consider doing anything else.

But the only reason the prices haven't dropped is because there are enough people paying them, sadly.

SLG is an 8x SB w/ 4 hits, which is an SSB level attack that just doesn't give the +Stat bonus after mastery. Against Lightning Vulnerable enemies it would be especially devastating.

I still haven't pulled on the beginner banner myself, but I'm thinking about eventually picking it and replacing Fran (w/ Whip Kick) w/ Tyro on FB / _BD duty.

I kinda still want Advance, but FF3 synergy isn't a big deal and I don't think I'd use Luneth unless I get his SSB someday. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: New wave of MC3s coming to Japan
CjuGWKVWkAAHigs.jpg

That's great bc I have all of the original set I have ssbs for triple broken, wol, yshtola, zidane, lightning, bartz. Now I can go for Ashe aeris yda and agrias for another bunch of bssbs ssbs to 99.

I find it hilarious that this person puts their name all over such an insignificant achievement. Got to get those fat dollar bills for having the most twitter followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom