• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll keep White Mage for now then. Since I am still leveling, the main source of mithril seems to be story dungeons. Is there a better way to get more of it if I'm at ~35 for all my characters?

Beat as much of the weekly events as you can, since they're time sensitive, but otherwise keep rolling through those story dungeons. They're going to be a great source of mythril and stamina shards, with some orbs and character unlocks thrown in the mix too.

For maximum efficiency working through the story dungeons, try to time your 5th stamina shard for when you're almost out of stamina, because every 5th shard gives you a free stamina refresh.

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I'll keep White Mage for now then. Since I am still leveling, the main source of mithril seems to be story dungeons. Is there a better way to get more of it if I'm at ~35 for all my characters?

The good news for you is that the dungeons will probably be half stam next week with the update, so you will be able to really get a ton of it reasonably quickly.

Finished the 300 Torment CM on my first try.

Luneth BSB
Zack BSB
Ramza USB Shout and Chant
Arctic Instant Cast SSB
Onion Knight Onion Slice SSB and OSB
RW: Cloud USB

This was my first fight trying out Cloud USB and my timing was terrible. By the time I had my 3 wind imperils, the Ex mode was off of Luneth and his commands was only hitting 4 x 9999 while Zack was hitting 4 x 15000. It was getting pretty close at the end with the damage done to him being close to what he was healing back from the BSB commands but then I realized that I had 2 more SB bars for Luneth.

notworksafe

For maximum efficiency working through the story dungeons, try to time your 5th stamina shard for when you're almost out of stamina, because every 5th shard gives you a free stamina refresh.
Yeah I noticed that yesterday so I've been swapping between events and story in a way that keeps me prety loaded on stamina.

The good news for you is that the dungeons will probably be half stam next week with the update, so you will be able to really get a ton of it reasonably quickly.

Wow, I really did start playing at the right time :p

Forgot that I only got the first CM on Bahamut 300. I guess I should go back and try again with Cloud USB RW. The extra kicker is that I have both Zack's Imperil BSB and Wind CSB. So I'm thinking to do something like this (skipping turns where necessary to make sure it happens in this order):

Turn 1:
- Ramza + Onion Knight Buffs
- Zack activate CSB
- Luneth activate Cloud RW

Turn 2:
- Ramza put Full Break
- Zack activate Imperil stack 1
- Luneth activate BSB

Turn 3:
- Ramza activate Chant
- Zack activate Imperil stack 2
- Luneth use C2 (+ATK)

Turn 4:
- Zack activate Cloud RW
- Luneth use BSB

Turn 5:
- Zack use BSB C1
- Luneth use BSB

My chain count should be in the 60s by this point, combined with multiple stacks of imperil I've gotta be hitting 60-70k / hit on Luneth BSB at this point.

If I don't have enough healing here (Arc is my III healer), then I'd swap Ramza for Lenna who has USB (ATK+MAG+RES) so I'd still get the buff, but slightly weaker.

Jarekx

Gonna try and get one more pull in for Vaans LMR. Then saving for FFTA.

We will see if I'm strong enough to hold out that long.

Xetherion

Turn 5 Zack will be using bsb command as you will be out of SB gauge (csb + imperil 1+ imperil 2 = 3 bars)

Edit: beaten by your edit lol

friz898

I've tried twice on Cloud USB, but always being too lazy to really turn it into a science, the first time I used it was nothing special (I used it on a mage).

Then I went back and read the reddit link and actually absorbed what I was reading, and was all excited to try on my Fang (en-air physical wind burst) or at least Zidane (imperil wind burst) but then I had the problem of not using hardly any of my SB bars for those two and then not making it to 40%

Arrrrrgh! At least once I figure out how to get to the 40% week phase (which I've done several times) that I should be able to finish him off with Cloud USB, which I have to RW.

100gem pull on Cloud banner was 4star that is maxed to 7star already.

The event was very easy, I CM'ed it first try.

Broke Locke and Edea with the two MC3's.

I now have 49 level 99's, unfortunately that in itself is not a Cid Mission worth 4star vitality motes.

I'll get that d300 torment eventually.

Beat it handily, but the highest I could get the chain was about 40 before it wore out, and Luneth's BSB hits maxed out at about 40k.

I wonder what would happen if instead of Ramza I used Alphinaud. I'd be losing out on the ATK buff but I would be able to spam the shit out of C1 and probably get the chain up to about 80.

friz898

Beat it handily, but the highest I could get the chain was about 40 before it wore out, and Luneth's BSB hits maxed out at about 40k.

Ramza or Lenna? I have both their USBs, and familiar with them.

Also I have trouble fitting them both in, it seems debuffs on Bahamut are much more important than Buffs on my crew. That cold be different with Cloud USB though.

Ramza or Lenna? I have both their USBs, and familiar with them.

Also I have trouble fitting them both in, it seems debuffs on Bahamut are much more important than Buffs on my crew. That cold be different with Cloud USB though.

I used Ramza. But if you have both Shout and History's Truth then definitely go with Ramza for the extra buff stack. He only used Megaflare on me like 3 or 4 times and they were easily healed by a single cast of Arc's SSB.

Onion Knight was using Power Breakdown + Protectga and Ramza was using Full Breakdown + Magic Breakdown.

Balphon

Y'shtola will be unlockable in the XIV event in a couple of days. If you're particularly interested in pulling for healer relics, hers are some of the best and they will all be on Banner 1 in the event.

Y'shtola's USB and Relic LM are actually among the worst in the game. They are easily the worst among healers.

Asylum and SSII are still good but that banner 1 is weak overall with the only real standout being Minfilia's USB.

I would recommend avoiding it.

friz898

Y'shtola's USB and Relic LM are actually among the worst in the game. They are easily the worst among healers.

Asylum and SSII are still good but that banner 1 is weak overall with the only real standout being Minfilia's USB.

Are you telling me wall is on the next banner? I feel like a dog and someone said "wanna cookie?"

friz898

I used Ramza. But if you have both Shout and History's Truth then definitely go with Ramza for the extra buff stack. He only used Megaflare on me like 3 or 4 times and they were easily healed by a single cast of Arc's SSB.

Onion Knight was using Power Breakdown + Protectga and Ramza was using Full Breakdown + Magic Breakdown.

Also, Megaflare 3-4 times the entire fight or at 40%?

You either had a wonderful RNG or you kill extremely fast to get him to 40%. I have him at 80% on this attempt, he's already cast it 3 times.

Also, Megaflare 3-4 times the entire fight or at 40%?

You either had a wonderful RNG or you kill extremely fast to get him to 40%. I have him at 80% on this attempt, he's already cast it 3 times.

The entire fight. I mean Luneth brought him from like 70% to 30% in one attack, lol.

friz898

Eh. Every banner has duds. If someone's looking for healer relics because they currently have none, you could do a lot worse than a banner with Asylum and Stoneskin II on it.

As i've mentioned before, my relic banner knowledge only comes from this thread. I did google what was on the SURF banners for the first time. I did itsince I needed to pick which to pull on, it was good I did because I was 7/12 on 4, and 5 had Wall.

Also, is kongbakpao or whatever, the best place to check for Banner lists? Lastly, banners don't usually only have 12 5/6 stars on them right? That was a bonus to SURF banners? Or, choice C, there was more than 12, but 12 was the stars and higher drop rate bonus ones.

I have never read up on all the banner mechanics.

friz898

The entire fight. I mean Luneth brought him from like 80% to 40% in one attack, lol.

Wow.

I have Zidane and Fang. Do you have either?

Zidane's does overall more dmg, but the Cloud USB faq says best to use on En-element, which would be Fang.

I guess I could use Cloud USB one time before 40%, I was holding out for both uses at weak phase.

Edit: I'm getting frustrated with myself. Fang is imperil also. Only en-air I have is Alphi which I understand is not a good way to use Cloud since needs to be physical. I can't win.

Wow.

I have Zidane and Fang. Do you have either?

Zidane's does overall more dmg, but the Cloud USB faq says best to use on En-element, which would be Fang.

I guess I could use Cloud USB one time before 40%, I was holding out for both uses at weak phase.

I have both, but for Fang I don't have her BSB so kinda pointless to bring her. I basically used the exact setup described a few posts above. I also have Cid VII (BSB), but despite the fact that it does 11 hits, it always seems extremely weak. I'm guessing it has a really low multiplier, although I haven't checked. You probably won't be able to reproduce my run exactly unless you have Zack CSB and BSB.

If I didn't have the CSB I would have gone much more slowly until about the 70% mark before unloading. With the run I posted above, I basically started unloading from turn 1.

Balphon

Are you telling me wall is on the next banner? I feel like a dog and someone said "wanna cookie?"

Yeah, Y'shtola's is but it's in the bottom spot so it'll be at a 1% droprate.

Eh. Every banner has duds. If someone's looking for healer relics because they currently have none, you could do a lot worse than a banner with Asylum and Stoneskin II on it.

Sure, but this one has a lot of duds and crazily one of them is the top item. Y'shtola's USB is arguably worse than her SSB and her SSB is just okay.

Moreover, the only real healing item on there is Asylum and even SSII is at a low droprate for a unique.

I think you're underestimating just how bad that banner actually is. A better-rounded upcoming target would be Type-0, as Deuce's BSB is good and it has fewer traps.

friz898

I have both, but for Fang I don't have her BSB so kinda pointless to bring her. I basically used the exact setup described a few posts above. I also have Cid VII (BSB), but despite the fact that it does 11 hits, it always seems extremely weak. I'm guessing it has a really low multiplier, although I haven't checked. You probably won't be able to reproduce my run exactly unless you have Zack CSB and BSB.

If I didn't have the CSB I would have gone much more slowly until about the 70% mark before unloading. With the run I posted above, I basically started unloading from turn 1.

Although I like to tease you, this isn't meant for that. I showed my wife the thread to see all the whaling for this Cloud thing, even if it was "whaling" with mythril. Which should have it's own term lol.

Anyway, what made me think of my envy was that I don't have anything for Zack except for some useless old SSBs.

I s/l'ed this time since he was on Megaflare number 5 and I had him at 60-65%.

Before s/l'ing, I tested the cloud usb with Fang. It didn't reach 9k plus hits or anything.

notworksafe

So should I not grab her as a healer then? Who would be better? Sorry for all the questions, guys.

friz898

So should I not grab her as a healer then? Who would be better? Sorry for all the questions, guys.

You don't get a choice.

When you do the event, she'll open up for you, and even the worst healer in the game that has 4star white healing (that's not her by the way) is 10x better than White Mage. The cores are terrible. Tyro an exception, but on how he's good is another story.

As for pulling on banner for Ysh, just read MCA and Balphon counter arguments and decide for yourself. I don't have either of the good stuff for Ysh, but I have a TON of healing BSBs and medicas (in this game, any group heal is a medica).

Mythril is somewhat rare, but since you have story dungeons, you truly control your mythril count. It will take you several months to get bazillion mythril offered in Story dungeons.

Edit: Now if you were spending gems, aka, real life money then it really becomes a debate to scrutinize. You (sorta ought to be) far away from wanting to spend RL money, since mythril is at your disposal. But if you truly get hooked, you may find yourself going that route. This game broke me of "mobile games are half-ass experiences like Angry Birds" and "who the hell is stupid enough to pay real life money for gambling on a video game" thoughts that I had coming over from ps4 and a gaming computer.

Edit2: By the way, have you ever heard Shaq call in to the radio show Lex and Terry? That show is big in TX and Florida. Whenever Shaq would call in, I couldn't stop laughing, dude is funny as hell.

ccbfan

How do you use Cloud USB native if you don't have his BSB2?

How much damage does his USB do with piercing attacks? Seph BSB 1 with Cloud USB looks like a pretty sick combo.

Also with the new upgrades in 5* and 6* skills, that will probably be huge improvements for Cloud USB Native.

notworksafe

ah okay so "worst" is relative, makes sense. and i also feel like i'm far away from spending money too, at least at this point.

and i haven't heard him on that show but in general shaq is pretty hilarious lol

Well as you can see, interpretations differ. :) Check out the link I posted, read the descriptions of the relics, and weigh how much the prize relics would help your team vs. how upset you would be if you missed and only got "bad" relics. Only you can make that decision.

For healer relics specifically, if you decided FF14 Banner 1 wasn't worth a pull, you could hold out for the Type-0 banner in a couple of weeks since Deuce seems to have some decent stuff. Or just hope you get something for a healer in the dungeon lucky draw.

As for grabbing Y'shtola: You'll unlock her as a character in the event either way, and even without relics she's probably more worthwhile than core White Mage. The decision you need to make is which healer (if any) to chase relics for.

Iscariot

I'd say she's a great healer. She has Wrath access which means she can charge her Soul Break meter very fast, her BSB contends for the top slot of heal bursts, she is the only other character besides Tyro with access to a Wall relic. She just has an terrible USB and LMR, but the actual Legend dive on her is solid.

The more relevant issue is simply who you manage to get a relic for. If you're only heal is a White Mage core, even getting an older Super Soul Break curaga will be a massive jump for you.

Edit: For example the current FFXII banners include Penelo's USB on 1and Larsa's burst soul break on banner 2. Either one of those would be great (though I tend to think of Larsa as a better dedicated healer personally.)

If you're just starting out and you are looking for your first white mage, I think you're crazy for passing up the banner tomorrow. Great healing bsb and wall on the same banner with a guaranteed 5* from the pull. Her ssb is no slouch either if you pull that one-great for torments which are well off of course from any new player handling. Yshtola can wrath, you can anchor your team with her bsb and/or wall for some time.

Although I like to tease you, this isn't meant for that. I showed my wife the thread to see all the whaling for this Cloud thing, even if it was "whaling" with mythril. Which should have it's own term lol.

Don't worry, I have thick skin. I was on the Discord app yesterday when WarAdept was saying something about how "it's bad enough losing mythril, I can't imagine losing real money over this" and it occurred to me that I'd feel even worse if it was mythril than real money, because the mythril is something you save for months and months to get enough to do those pulls, and then it really is all down the drain with nothing to show for it. I mean, of course you work for the money to buy the gems too, but even if you make $8 / hour (which I think is lower than the minimum wage anywhere in the country?) it takes 10.5 hours to earn enough money for an 11-pull, and it certainly takes me WAY more than 10 hours of play to earn 50 mythril now that all story content is complete. So in a twisted kind of way (which could just be me irrationally trying to rationalize my spending), I'm throwing away less effort doing gem pulls than I would be doing mythril pulls.

And I just realized this is starting to sound like that "omg everything is 40% off, now I can buy 10 times as much, because the more you spend, the more you save!"

Balphon

You'll get her and the other characters just for completing the early stages of the event, so no real worries there. She'll be a direct upgrade from White Mage once you level her since the Core characters have low stats.

It's the items you draw that primarily differentiate the characters and make them more useful to you than others. As a new player, there are two items (Healer's Circlet and Thyrus) on the banner that will be available with the launch of the next event tomorrow that will give abilities to Y'shtola which will help you a lot over both the short and the long term.

However, the rest of the items on the banner are probably going to lack utility for you in either the short term, the long term, or both. As MCA said, every banner has some duds, but this one has more than most.

Basically, it'd be a risky shot for you with the potential of a relatively big payoff. Since you're just starting you're going to have mythril become available relatively easily from story dungeons so it may be one worth taking, however.

notworksafe

well okay, i'll grab her when the event is up and at the very least replace white mage. thanks!

seems i'll have a big decision on what to make my first pull on though lol. was tempted to do this ff7 one since everyone seems to freaking out about it and cloud is my 2nd highest level right now but maybe i'll do the 14 one too if i can get the mithril in time

friz898

Don't worry, I have thick skin. I was on the Discord app yesterday when WarAdept was saying something about how "it's bad enough losing mythril, I can't imagine losing real money over this" and it occurred to me that I'd feel even worse if it was mythril than real money, because the mythril is something you save for months and months to get enough to do those pulls, and then it really is all down the drain with nothing to show for it. I mean, of course you work for the money to buy the gems too, but even if you make $8 / hour (which I think is lower than the minimum wage anywhere in the country?) it takes 10.5 hours to earn enough money for an 11-pull, and I certainly WAY more than 10 hours of play in to earn 50 mythril now that all story content is complete. So in a twisted kind of way (which could just be me irrationally trying to rationalize my spending), I'm throwing away less effort doing gem pulls than I would be doing mythril pulls.

And I just realized this is starting to sound like that "omg everything is 40% off, now I can buy 10 times as much, because the more you spend, the more you save!"

Ya don't worry man, going back to our conversation like 6 months ago where I learned your financial situation and geographical location.

When I was making 114k annual for 40 hour work week in Texas, I whaled too. Not to these levels, but I had a $30 android gift card once or twice a week.

The only difference (i imagine, I dont know) is that I have a 12yo who's getting expensive, and a Wife who wants us to buy a second house. So any money spent on "silly phone games" is ... silly money spent.

So no, I don't judge, that's why I always mention being envious! I don't make that kind of money anymore, we moved back home to FL. And ya, I'm glad you have thick skin, I was born in the wrong era, I don't do well with todays "everybody is offended" and "you just cant say those things" days of the present.

Yeah, Y'shtola's is but it's in the bottom spot so it'll be at a 1% droprate.

Sure, but this one has a lot of duds and crazily one of them is the top item. Y'shtola's USB is arguably worse than her SSB and her SSB is just okay.

Moreover, the only real healing item on there is Asylum and even SSII is at a low droprate for a unique.

I think you're underestimating just how bad that banner actually is. A better-rounded upcoming target would be Type-0, as Deuce's BSB is good and it has fewer traps.

2 imperils, minfilias usb, minfilias boosga/last stand minfilias legend material that plays great with her relics, not to mention ysh's bsb, bsb, sb. This is a hell of a banner for a new player. And for a realm that actually gets events and dungeons. Agree to disagree on this one Balphon!

Silexx

I have a buff stacking question: Does Luneth's CMD2 attack buff stack with the likes of Shout or Dark Bargain? Or does it override one of those? For that matter, would it stack with Cloud's USB?

friz898

I have a buff stacking question: Does Luneth's CMD2 attack buff stack with the likes of Shout or Dark Bargain? Or does it override one of those? For that matter, would it stack with Cloud's USB?

It depends on what the buff is, but if you have any doubt, if you check Enlir's spread sheet or MisterP pdf, he buts the ID codes of every SoulBreak plus their Burst commands in parenthesis.

Edit: To piggy back off what MCA said, and what I was getting to, I didnt know what the Luneth buff was, but if it buffs anything different (Atk/mag, atk, atk/def atk-anything) all stack on each other. But if the command was just a breakdown or something, and there are a few soul break exceptions -- then they won't stack.

Balphon

I dunno, I feel like as a new player I'd struggle to get much utility out of imperils, especially relative to en-elements. They're far better suited to someone with honed abilities and other damaging elemental SBs.

The Minfilia items would definitely be useful out-of-the-box for a new player and only get better, but early on you still need attacks other than Power Break to buff.

And seriously, I think you guys are underestimating how inexplicably bad Y'sholta's USB is. Have you looked at the thing? I couldn't recommend it to anybody. I don't know what they were thinking with it other than "Y'shtola has too much good stuff."

friz898

And seriously, I think you guys are underestimating how inexplicably bad Y'sholta's USB is. Have you looked at the thing? I couldn't recommend it to anybody. I don't know what they were thinking with it other than "Y'shtola has too much good stuff."

Haha, Balphon, I'm not part of this discussion, and you have really good advice almost all the time. I envision you to be an older guy, and a regular reddit reader. But I think you're going to have to take the agree-disagree card that Random mentioned.

Edit: All I'll add is that even if he went 1/11, there is nothing that would NOT be awesome for him. Especially if he has a soul of hero or two. Also, how a new player will want to or should spend mythril is totally different than if someone was thinking on how they'd pull with the long term future of having the perfect setup in mind. (Like if starting over, or starting a second account). He could pull Eiko SSB with Haste/Medica, and that would be a game changer for him. Also he can grind out more mythril anytime he wants.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree as far as the USB. It does feel like the devs thought, "It's not fair that Y'shtola has the best unique SB in the game and arguably one of the best healer BSB's in the game, and can Wrath. Let's give her the worst USB ever for the sake of balance." Would have been better to just not give her a USB at all.

Balphon

Haha, Balphon, I'm not part of this discussion, and you have really good advice almost all the time. I envision you to be an older guy, and a regular reddit reader. But I think you're going to have to take the agree-disagree card that Random mentioned.

Fair enough.

Maybe I just hope if I complain about Y'sh's USB enough it'll magically turn into something else.

As a little aside here, it's funny to me how the perceived value of items can be affected by the OTHER stuff on the same banner with it.

Like, Barret's gun-arm on the FF7 banner is the big joke right now that everyone's salty about on Reddit. But like, remember when Irvine, Mustadio, and Faris got hyperbreaks? It was like, "Hyperbreak, stacks with everything, that's fuckin' awesome!" They were considered prizes! But if you get Barret's, you're getting it instead of Ultra Cross Slash, so therefore it's terrible.

Likewise, if Y'shtola's USB was even just passable instead of being uniquely bad, we would not be having this argument over whether the rest of the banner was worthwhile.

friz898

Fair enough.

Maybe I just hope if I complain about Y'sh's USB enough it'll magically turn into something else.

Well if that does happen for you, please let me know, because I can mention a whole lot more times about not having native wall if it means I'll draw it on Ysh banner.

I mean, it really hurt seeing all these people getting dupe SG's because it led me to believe that since it's an unqiue is has much higher drop rate than CSB/USB etc but as I mentioned, I don't actually ever go look at the ratio values. I did two pulls, 4/22 and couldn't get wall? ARGAHGASHDFASDJFASKDjasl;fdj;fajsdk;jf @#$@#$@#R#.

:D

Silexx

Shout: +ATK

Dark Bargain: +ATK/-DEF

Luneth cmd2: +ATK/-RES

Conclusion: They all stack!

Right on. Thanks.

It depends on what the buff is, but if you have any doubt, if you check Enlir's spread sheet or MisterP pdf, he buts the ID codes of every SoulBreak plus their Burst commands in parenthesis.

Edit: To piggy back off what MCA said, and what I was getting to, I didnt know what the Luneth buff was, but if it buffs anything different (Atk/mag, atk, atk/def atk-anything) all stack on each other. But if the command was just a breakdown or something, and there are a few soul break exceptions -- then they won't stack.

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure if the +ATK/-RES effect meant that it would override another +ATK/-DEF effect or not. Thanks.

Iscariot

well okay, i'll grab her when the event is up and at the very least replace white mage. thanks!

seems i'll have a big decision on what to make my first pull on though lol. was tempted to do this ff7 one since everyone seems to freaking out about it and cloud is my 2nd highest level right now but maybe i'll do the 14 one too if i can get the mithril in time

I think you could safely skip actually. The two big prizes return, (Zacks in about a month) and Cloud's is very much viable for RW. The argument for rolling is magicite dungeons, but those are predated by Super Fest I think, which is 3 banners, and everything on that is BSB, USB, CSSB. So in terms of mythril spent, that's probably more worthwhile than chasing a 1% relic (That needs his BSB2 and Legend Dive to really shine).

Top Bottom