• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sounds like you're bummed about how you did this and this and that and got zero for your discipline, patience, and hard work. I say! Just pull whenever you can! but never let it get to 200-400 mythril again. But what do I know, I never have shit for mythril. I think the highest I have ever seen on my phone is like 110-120.
Well, pulling during these orb fests banners makes sense for me since the pool of relics is usually better than in the game specific banners.

To be fair, I had the same feeling before when Shout and Onion meta came and I couldn't get either of those relics. And this was during the era of off-banner relics, shared relics, and 5* items that were just there to dilute the pool (I think I still have some 5* swords/armors that have no ability attached to them). The less said about the days where you weren't even guaranteed the 5* relic, the better.

I don't deny that it's better now, but I've also been playing GBF for about a year and although I see FFRK trying to mimic some aspects of GBF, it doesn't seem to have gone far enough. With GBF, even though I know I'm playing badly, I feel like I'm progressing. With FFRK, I autobattle through the first 10 or so fights of an event until I get to the Apoc+ battle and then get frustrated because I don't have a wind/ice/water/lightning team or lack stuff like Cid Raines/Shantatto to make native mage meta work. I can still beat them, but it's more an exercise in attrition than in skill since I'm basically using the same team that I've been using for almost a year now.

I'm hoping Cloud meta opens up more options so that characters matter more than relics and soul breaks, but I wonder if I just won't stick to my default team for another year.

Edit: Oh! As for Gran Blue Fantasy, I obviously know enough to translate your acronym but it's not really fully global yet and I don't care enough to go through any special hoops to be able to play now. But! When it does officially come to the U.S. I will check it out.
Cygames won't release it in the west officially, despite the game basically having a full English localization. It's easy enough to play, they don't ban foreign IPs like other game companies (looking at you DMM), and you can even use Google Pay to fund the gacha so you don't even need to mess with foreign curencies.

friz898

Well, pulling during these orb fests banners makes sense for me since the pool of relics is usually better than in the game specific banners.

To be fair, I had the same feeling before when Shout and Onion meta came and I couldn't get either of those relics. And this was during the era of off-banner relics, shared relics, and 5* items that were just there to dilute the pool (I think I still have some 5* swords/armors that have no ability attached to them). The less said about the days where you weren't even guaranteed the 5* relic, the better.

I don't deny that it's better now, but I've also been playing GBF for about a year and although I see FFRK trying to mimic some aspects of GBF, it doesn't seem to have gone far enough. With GBF, even though I know I'm playing badly, I feel like I'm progressing. With FFRK, I autobattle through the first 10 or so fights of an event until I get to the Apoc+ battle and then get frustrated because I don't have a wind/ice/water/lightning team or lack stuff like Cid Raines/Shantatto to make native mage meta work. I can still beat them, but it's more an exercise in attrition than in skill since I'm basically using the same team that I've been using for almost a year now.

I'm hoping Cloud meta opens up more options so that characters matter more than relics and soul breaks, but I wonder if I just won't stick to my default team for another year.

I cant wait for Gran Blue Fantasy to open up worldwide.

I feel like I recognize that name for a ps1, ps2, or psp previous game, but I've never played one. I would not have given it much attention if I didn't constantly here references to how it's like FFRK or even "like FFRK but better".

I seriously plan to try it out, and the Lineage game.

If you go dummies guide on me, and say "go here <link> and do this" then make sure and do this <link> and that <link>" i will follow the steps and play, but I figure (not-knowingly) that if the game is as good as people say, it'll just pop up on my pretty little iTunes store. That's kinda what I'm waiting on.

If you're trying to tell me about some-whatever and it's not going to happen, then give me a dummies guide to play it, or what I need to side-load, and I'll check it out. I hear good things about it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you go dummies guide on me, and say "go here <link> and do this" then make sure and do this <link> and that <link>" i will follow the steps and play, but I figure (not-knowingly) that if the game is as good as people say, it'll just pop up on my pretty little iTunes store. That's kinda what I'm waiting on.

If you're trying to tell me about some-whatever and it's not going to happen, then give me a dummies guide to play it, or what I need to side-load, and I'll check it out. I hear good things about it.

The GBF thread is helpful, as is the discord (usually lol).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1191278

Right now, all you need to play is to just go here and login with a Facebook account (through Mobage):
http://game.granbluefantasy.jp/

Iscariot

I guess Cloud's USB is supposed to change that, and maybe the game will swing back to a progression that favors crafting rather than relics. But it seems like you still need some standard relics to make it worthwhile (one or more of the ATK buffs, imperils, element boosts, etc).

Orbs were pretty brutally hard to come by when that was the case. I suppose they could move towards more 6* skills and possibly even introduce 7*. The new daily dungeons will have crystal drops so it's not unfathomable that they'll press people into stamina refreshes over multiple relic rolls.

Personally as long as they make the weekly events reasonably obtainable in respect to progression, I'm okay with Torments and the like being really hard or gear checks. I had to wait a few months for hones and drops to CM Ifrit last year, and it was still a sweet feeling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Orbs were pretty brutally hard to come by when that was the case. I suppose they could move towards more 6* skills and possibly even introduce 7*. The new daily dungeons will have crystal drops so it's not unfathomable that they'll press people into stamina refreshes over multiple relic rolls.

Personally as long as they make the weekly events reasonably obtainable in respect to progression, I'm okay with Torments and the like being really hard or gear checks. I had to wait a few months for hones and drops to CM Ifrit last year, and it was still a sweet feeling.

I think I'm okay with the Torments and that end game stuff being hard, because it comes back. It feels like if you can't easily complete Apocs and the Jump Starts though, you're losing out on motes and materials that will only make it even harder for you later down the line.

But, power creep be creeping.

notworksafe

No disclaimers needed. We all wondered this at some point.

If you're are having so much fun that whether orbfest or a story dungeon, you are just chugging right along? -- then make Shantotto work for those levels.

If you're either at kind of a slow point between what you have and what you can maybe do OR if you are just strapped for time and want quick gratification, egg her up.

Some here save their eggs. Nothing wrong with that, but me, I feel like I can get eggs if I ever wanted two days a week, not even counting the bazillion eggs on a fest. They generally introduce a new character and give you enough eggs that you could take that very same level 1 toon to 65-70.

What I do is use eggs as I get them. To me, every egg I get/use is less time spent on the exp dungeons.

I'm glad that my response was of no help but seriously, if you're having fun and flying through stuff, just let her level up like a real Final Fantasy game. If you are kinda doing stuff she can't handle, then egg her up to a point, then level her on up beyond that.

And don't forget, Orbfest is special. We get them Quarterly. If you want to get Shantotto in there and get her some mad ass levels, nobody here would think that silly of you.

good to know. i just looked and i have 14 greater eggs (plus a ton of lesser eggs), two of which is basically enough to get her matched up with my other team members so i'll go that route

So here's something I still never understood after all this time. What's the deal with all the pausing and speed changing in this video? I know it has something to do with building SB faster, but what are the exact mechanics, and how much does it really help?

Ahnez

So here's something I still never understood after all this time. What's the deal with all the pausing and speed changing in this video? I know it has something to do with building SB faster, but what are the exact mechanics, and how much does it really help?

Video is not loading here, but I guess he is pausing just when last stand is used.

When last stand triggers, it plays a short animation. During this animation, your ATB still charges, but the enemies' don't, so you can get a few extra turns by doing this

evangd007

Thanks for the advice on Legend Dives. I think I'll start on Vaan and then maybe Tidus or Agrias.

BTW, I have Eiko's USB from the Curaga lucky. That should be my RW now, right?

friz898

Thanks for the advice on Legend Dives. I think I'll start on Vaan and then maybe Tidus or Agrias.

BTW, I have Eiko's USB from the Curaga lucky. That should be my RW now, right?

Haha, well she's in abundance but..

.. I have a few Eiko USBs on my friend list. Cant pass up an instant cure last stand.

The only USB i want more than hers is Yuna's. I want it more than Rosa's.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The speed exploit thing is the same with Radiant Shield apparently.

WarAdept

Yep, as Ahnez said, it's manipulating the ATB gauge to still run while specific animations are still playing.

Last Stand is one of them. Radiant Sheild is another. Enemy drops is also another (you'll notice the ATB of your characters still goes when an item drops then collects up to the top of the screen).

It's also used to manipulate Dragoon Air time, effectively making them instant as soon as they jump in the air. It's the reason why you should never bring Blood of the Wyvern to the fight.

friz898

Yep, as Ahnez said, it's manipulating the ATB gauge to still run while specific animations are still playing.

Last Stand is one of them. Radiant Sheild is another. Enemy drops is also another (you'll notice the ATB of your characters still goes when an item drops then collects up to the top of the screen).

It's also used to manipulate Dragoon Air time, effectively making them instant as soon as they jump in the air. It's the reason why you should never bring Blood of the Wyvern to the fight.

..Oh.

Fang didn't cut it in my d300 (I beat that, don't you want to send me RL gifts? hah) but I take note of your comment because when I looked at what she had.. I went with Leaping Leech and the Wyvern thing. I guess... that was noobish of me. I imagine I should go watch cpp's vid.

Edit: And to take it a step further, are we now saying this is an unneeded (aka shatter) skill?

WarAdept

..Oh.

Fang didn't cut it in my d300 (I beat that, don't you want to send me RL gifts? hah) but I take note of your comment because when I looked at what she had.. I went with Leaping Leech and the Wyvern thing. I guess... that was noobish of me. I imagine I should go watch cpp's vid.

Edit: And to take it a step further, are we now saying this is an unneeded (aka shatter) skill?

If you're lazy and don't want to manipulate air time, keep BotW. Otherwise shatter. Dragoons are better off using both Dragoon Jump/Lightning Dive/Sky High (and soon Aerial Dive) as their heavy DPS skills

So when people are changing the second an enemy uses an ability, is it basically just pre-emptive in case one of these abilities (Last Stand, etc) triggers? But if it's just a normal attack that doesn't kill anyone (so Last Stand doesn't kick in) and no Radiant Shield, then there's no effect?

Are there any others?

WarAdept

So when people are changing the second an enemy uses an ability, is it basically just pre-emptive in case one of these abilities (Last Stand, etc) triggers? But if it's just a normal attack that doesn't kill anyone (so Last Stand doesn't kick in) and no Radiant Shield, then there's no effect?

Are there any others?

Watch the damage taken and the HP bars of your characters. If you know that attack basically "killed" them (or as soon as your HP bar starts dropping to nothing, pause and put it on Speed 5 until the animation for Last Stand finishes (then back to Speed 1).

Radiant Shield is easier. As soon as the boss attacks, speed 5 until you see the reflect damage hit the boss (then back to Speed 1). Most noticeable when hit with an AoE attack.

friz898

I didn't know any of this.

As WarAdept alluded too, possibly not knowingly, I will be the lazy gamer who doesnt care until I can not beat some Dragoon heavy event or something.

That said, I'm tucking this away so that I can ask about it in 1-3 months like we never discussed it!

I see time had the nerve of going past 8pm central while I was away. Going to go get my 3star 100gem pull out of the way!

BRB with tears!

I have Yda's burst from a previous banner but I never use it because Yda. Like, the motherfucker has garbage for usable skills. I guess I'll find a use for him this CM though.

ZangBa

I scrounged up 50 more mythril and got Cloud's BSB2, 2 shotguns and of course a green megaphone. I'm happy with this TBH, I really just wanted synergy anyway. I'll probably save for the next VII event now because that isn't enough synergy for me to be happy, especially since guns and megaphones aren't that great. I think Refia still beats out Cloud on my main team, but it will be really useful for specific things.

Also, I feel like I've acquired every God damn dark imperil in this game, Jesus.

Balphon

Finally broke my 100 gem dry spell.

It was an item I already had, but hey, progress.

Yda's burst is frankly pretty bad since it's entirely reliant on your being able to prevent her from taking damage and breaking the Greased Lightning stack. If you have external sources of blink/stoneskin/etc. to facilitate that, though, it can do decent damage. Yda has a good skillset for a monk, though. And the item itself is nice.

Iscariot

idk, i mean he basically just has combat. Monk is one of the worst classes IMO, and Support 4 is nice but usually if I want breaks I need Support 5 for Full Break.

They mean Yda is a woman.

There's some value to be had in the full break entry, and if you have her LMR it's way easier to keep GL going, but yeah. Usually too much AoE to work.

I'm a bit fuzzy but doesn't the pausing and changing battle speed also effect buff and BSB duration in a poor light or were those always affected by last stand and radiant shield?

Also pleased to see this FFXIV event has three one round fights in the normal/elite five stages. Less stamina spent, less time spent. I remember a few years ago when there ten of those stages but also back then I would have like a handful of 5* relics and be using reta meta a lot due to lacking hones in anything so a far cry from hitting auto.

Regarding challenging content. The job motes from torments and the onion motes feel like miss steps because there was a time and place where they were much easier to get than now (job motes via five dooms events compared to torments now; onion motes via FFIII EXP dungeons...which usually return with FFIII events compared to the last mote dungeon boss...who also has a low drop rate).

notworksafe

Glad I took the advice to go with the new stuff for my first time because I think this draw was pretty good!

oWp2tUN.png

Balphon

That Minfilia USB looks nice. Like Onion's boost, but better. Hopefully it recurs in a better banner down the line.

Yeah there are some nice buff USBs coming out. Rikku's next week really is a direct upgrade of OK's sans-burst mode. Minfilia's is basically a complement to Ramza's.

Glad I took the advice to go with the new stuff for my first time because I think this draw was pretty good!

You lucked out with what are probably the two best things on there. The sword gives Minfilia a very strong buffing soul break that will also be a source of Haste for you, and the staff's soul break has the powerful and relatively rare Wall buff.

Plus you get a pair of 6* swords you can use until you start picking up better stuff. Congrats. :)

idk, i mean he basically just has combat. Monk is one of the worst classes IMO, and Support 4 is nice but usually if I want breaks I need Support 5 for Full Break.

Full breakdown on entry sounds pretty outstanding. And lasts 25 sec, same as wall. Who cares if she can full break at that point, or that her main skill set is monk based at that point when what she can do is much better if you can handle wrathing up a sb bar.

Nice!

Jarekx

Yea, Thyrus alone made that a great pull. But you got it and a hastega with +Attack/Magic in your first pull. That's a damn good start.

I got $100 Google play card from the in-laws for my birthday and gave cloud banner two pulls.

7/22
2x Zack chain
2x Cait Sith burst
1x Barret SSB
1x Vincent SSB
1x Rufus SSB

The two disco balls got me hyped, but no cloud. Happy with Zack chain though, my wind team is crazy now.

ha awesome, i didn't realize how good it really was. hopefully i didn't use up all my good luck in my first pull!

Honestly, that pull alone will carry you through almost all current content outside of the hardest battles assuming you get some damage dealing relics on other characters, some levels, and a few good 5-star abilities.

WarAdept

I'm so happy BSBs are getting obliterated.

Ashe USB - 10xST Lightning/Non-ele magic dmg, EnLightning, self MAG/RES +30% and for a period of time, additionally cast Thunder Charm when using Black Magic abilities. (2~6xST Lightning/Non-ele magic dmg based on ability rank)

That's a guaranteed 10 hit per cast with max rank Chain Spell. Also gets doublecast Lightning as her LM2 for a potential 14 hit per Chain Thundaga cast.

USB meta can't come fast enough.

I'm glad I checked the event end dates today. You see I'm on vacation for almost a week and wont have access after today and thanks to orbfest the FFXII event is extended (by a crazy amount, as in the FFXIV event ends before it). That's only the two 1 stamina fights of awakening cloud to worry about. The Jenova rush I have BSB1 and OSB for Sephiroph and for for Cloud himself I have Exdeath and Golbez to bring in the darkness (Exdeath imperils, Golbez taunts and keeps himself alive in summon mode) and if I want to lean to mage meta I can RW Cid BSB and have two fast cast SSB, Sheepsong or Cid Raines native OSB (I get his gloves and firsts but not the claw) to choose from with last two members being white mage and support (again lots of exciting choices).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm so happy BSBs are getting obliterated.

Ashe USB - 10xST Lightning/Non-ele magic dmg, EnLightning, self MAG/RES +30% and for a period of time, additionally cast Thunder Charm when using Black Magic abilities. (2~6xST Lightning/Non-ele magic dmg based on ability rank)

That's a guaranteed 10 hit per cast with max rank Chain Spell. Also gets doublecast Lightning as her LM2 for a potential 14 hit per Chain Thundaga cast.

USB meta can't come fast enough.

Build the game on the lowest percentage drop rate relics... sounds fun. lol

WarAdept

Build the game on the lowest percentage drop rate relics... sounds fun. lol

There was a time when that was BSBs. Except BSBs and Lifesiphon/Wrath severely fucked up the power curve.

Like the jump from SB to SSB felt correct.

The jump from SSB to BSB was astronomical, it made a whole lot of things super redundant.

Jarekx

My Mog is, I haven't gotten the motes for Faris.

Also Penelo and who else do I use... Rikku? doesn't she know dancer5?

Rikku and Cait Sith as well.

Edit: And Penelo. She actually gets a LM which gives her a chance to cast an aoe heal when using dance abilities.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There was a time when that was BSBs. Except BSBs and Lifesiphon/Wrath severely fucked up the power curve.

Like the jump from SB to SSB felt correct.

The jump from SSB to BSB was astronomical, it made a whole lot of things super redundant.
Yeah, that's true. I was still using retameta when most people moved onto BSBs since the only burst I had was Squall's first fire/wind one, and I suppose I'll have to stick to shout/onion meta for the foreseeable future while everyone is loading up on Eiko and Cloud USBs.

I just hope they don't design quests expecting people to have these things. The Sephiroth fight felt like a sign of the bad things to come to people who don't have 5 OSB characters with USB EX bursts to support them.

This + 6* and BSBs have the same 1% drop rate on a realm banner. 2% for SSBs/Uniques and the last relic on each banner has also a 1% chance.
That's fine except when you need specific USBs to make it work though. So that's 1% in a pool of 5 or more things diluting the pool. Otherwise, I'd have a much better loadout after doing nearly 10 draws.

Top Bottom