• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Balphon

I see a lot of talk of "A team" and "main team" on Reddit... Do people really use the same team for events in different realms? I always build a team from scratch focusing on realm synergy. I only include off-realm characters for a good reason, like using Tidus w/ BSB and OSB against a boss weak to water, or if whoever my healer is for that realm just isn't up to snuff and I have to sub in Y'shtola or Aerith instead. But I'd say I clear 95% of content with a team that is either 5 on-realm characters or 4 on-realm characters + Tyro.

I rebuild a team for everything, though I probably only use 25 or so characters with any regularity.

Either way it comes down to the SBs you have. E.g., the U++ in the upcoming event is weak to lightning, so I will bring Ashe, since I have her SSB.

The only character I really use outside their own realm that I don't have a SB for is Yuffie.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't customize teams for synergy. I have ~8-10 characters I rotate in based on my specific needs:

Tyro always stays (My only Wall)
Van or Eiko for heals (I have both their healing BSBs)
Terra or Alph for MAG (have both their BSBs)
Vaan, Thancred, Cecil for PHYS (have their BSBs)

Very very rarely I'll grab someone else for an edge case, but I'm mostly using these 8 for everything.

Xetherion

I don't have an A team, i have several teams for different situations:

1st spot is usually Luneth (auto-stun burst), but may go to a different DPS if boss is weak to a certain element i have a DPS SB for, or if boss is immune to stun and has no weaknesses i'll try to run Beatrix+Pecil for imperil Holy+enHoly combo.

Anti-magic:
Beatrix (mblink)
Rosa (mblink)
Tyro (wall and/or burst)
Celes (runic ssb)

Anti-phys:
Sabin (blink)
Eiko (burst w/ cmd1 ST heal/blink)
Tyro (wall)
Leon (HotE and/or burst) or Basch (AS)

I've been using Leon lately despite lack of Retaliate, just giving him Gaia Cross and Lionheart RM and spamming his burst. If the damage is too much for him to soak i'll switch to Basch to drawtaliate instead.

Mega meta:
Papalymo (MAG buff ssb)
Alphinaud (ATK/MAG buff ssb)
Selphie (MAG/MND buff burst)
Vincent (enFire ssb)
Tyro (wall)

I really want a mage burst to take Vincent's spot, or Tyro's. If i didn't already have 6/9 items on XIV-1 i would try again for Alph's. Hopefully I can get Cid's from XIII-2.

Anustart

I usually use about 10 different characters, with a few being permanent.

Onion Knight has replaced Ramza.
Bartz is almost always on my team, even though I only have his ssb, its a decent one for physical bosses, and he's sick with the spell blades.

Beatrix if I need magic blink.
Greg is I need tauntilate.
Rosa + beatrix if I need double mblink.

Then I'll switch in zidane, lightning, and a couple others should the situation call for it. And use Krile now if anything is weak to fire.

Ysh has taken over for rosa on most stuff since I have all her soul breaks, but if blink is better then I'll go with rosa.

Torment dungeon made me break out Garnet, needed the extra res from her ssb.

For the most part I ignore synergy in characters. I've found it to generally be a pretty weak boost.

WarAdept

It's so good to catch up on events after Orbfest.

Lady of the Vortex U+ CM

The only annoying this about this battle is that Ultimate Ice Breath attack (or whatever it's called) when it's up in the air. Everyone got paralyzed except Y'shtola (and at the time, I wished I had Medica II). Boss crumpled like paper under the weight of Papa/Alphy/Thrancred magic spam.

gu3kf8R.jpg

Lady of the Vortex U++

I opted to kill the Razor Plumes. Not like it mattered, it was doing so little damage to me and they would've died whether I liked it or not from Alph's summon spam.

N5mYRVC.jpg

Isn't this Cid BSB straight up worse than Papalymo?

Raine's BSB is utility/damage like how OK's BSB is the same. Papalymo belongs to a group of 3 (Maria, himself, Edea) who have the highest DPS bursts, but don't bring anything to the table other than that. Cid allows for the rare Holy element for mage teams to hit (and Dark as well, interesting combo), provides a super rare buff that stacks with nearly every mag boostaga and has it's own Stitch in Time command to further increase Magic.

Man, onion is sooo good in mp, front row, back row, physical attack, magic, healing. man. I put him back row with curaja and chain firaga and he really did work on the current 200.

I see, I'll think about what to do.
Remember the first rule. Don't chase a single relic,so look at the banner as a whole. Since your account is fairly new any relic is good really.

I'd try to give an answer of which do you see more XIV or XIII but the spreadsheet doesn't have realms for dungeon update 29-32 (this is important as the lucky draws for these have a relic pool from the realms in the dungeon update). You can also take seeing more two ways. The first is RS gear is more useful if the event is more frequent but the second is opportunities are rarer to pull if events are infrequent.

In short it's tough. I only pull on hyped banners (bad habit, I know), lucky draws and fest (though in this fest I skipped the last three banners).

Syntsui

Remember the first rule. Don't chase a single relics,so look at the banner as a whole. Since your account is fairly new any relics is good really.

I'd try to give an answer of which do you see more XIV or XIII but the spreadsheet doesn't have realms for dungeon update 29-32 (this is important as the lucky draws for these have a relic pool from the realms in the dungeon update). You can also take seeing more two ways. The first is RS gear is more useful if the event is more frequent but the second is opportunities are rarer to pull if events are infrequent.

In short it's tough. I only pull on hyped banners (bad habit, I know), lucky draws and fest (though in this fest I skipped the last three banners).
I've got some incredibly powerful relic on both XIV banners as far as offense goes and I'm planning to only pull on banners that synergize with them. I have:

Yda's BSB
Thancred's BSB
(I think I don't need anything else as far as fire dps relics go)

Thancred's SSB
Alphinaud's BSB
(I also have Cloud's Climhazzard, so I'll only need a Wind Imperil relic)

Minfila's BSB
(I need more holy based relics as well as the imperil)

Considering what we know so far, I'm planning to go crazy on FFT banner to complete the Holy relics I need and then I'll have to watch out for the other elements' relics.

For healing and mitigation, unfortunately, I couldn't pull the God tier Y'shtola's BSB, but I have Stoneskin and Vanille's BSB, so I think that's enough for now.

What do you think about these? Do you think I should focus on anything else specifically?

WarAdept

I've got some incredibly powerful relic on both XIV banners as far as offense goes and I'm planning to only pull on banners that synergize with them. I have:

Yda's BSB
Thancred's BSB
(I think I don't need anything else as far as fire dps relics go)

Thancred's SSB
Alphinaud's BSB
(I also have Cloud's Climhazzard, so I'll only need a Wind Imperil relic)

Minfila's BSB
(I need more holy based relics as well as the imperil)

Considering what we know so far, I'm planning to go crazy on FFT banner to complete the Holy relics I need and then I'll have to watch out for the other elements' relics.

For healing and mitigation, unfortunately, I couldn't pull the God tier Y'shtola's BSB, but I have Stoneskin and Vanille's BSB, so I think that's enough for now.

What do you think about these? Do you think I should focus on anything else specifically?

Let's see here...

Yda can provide Large Full Break due to BSB and has high/secure DPS due to Fire/NonElemental.

Thancred has Imperil Fire, boosting fire damage further on neutral bosses. Which SSB do you have for him? SSB1 (Jin-Chi-Ten) or SSB2 (Kiss of the Jugulator). If it's one, you now have native Hastega.

Minfilla is a one woman support machine. BSB provides the highest physical holy DPS out of all the characters, in addition to slapping enemies with Power Breakdown and Magic Breakdown. You could run Full Break on her, but it depends if you want to launch off with Yda's Full Break BSB from the get go or opt for more damage with her with a +dmg% RM. I'd go Gaia Cross and either Saints Cross or ProShellga, depending on what your healer is carrying/the fight needs. Now you have a support, tank and DPS all in one.

Alphy BSB is exceptional magical DPS...

but I have Stoneskin and Vanille's BSB

...and you have Wall/one of the best Medica's in the game.

You're pretty sweet to do all content, sans CM's. If anything, I'd pull for a few more mage relics because there are fights where physical isn't going to work. Or maybe a native Boostaga, to give you more options/flexibility in what you use as your RW. Other than that, pull on whatever you like/your favourites!

Syntsui

Let's see here...

Yda can provide Large Full Break due to BSB and has high/secure DPS due to Fire/NonElemental.

Thancred has Imperil Fire, boosting fire damage further on neutral bosses. Which SSB do you have for him? SSB1 (Jin-Chi-Ten) or SSB2 (Kiss of the Jugulator). If it's one, you now have native Hastega.

Minfilla is a one woman support machine. BSB provides the highest physical holy DPS out of all the characters, in addition to slapping enemies with Power Breakdown and Magic Breakdown. You could run Full Break on her, but it depends if you want to launch off with Yda's Full Break BSB from the get go or opt for more damage with her with a +dmg% RM. I'd go Gaia Cross and either Saints Cross or ProShellga, depending on what your healer is carrying/the fight needs. Now you have a support, tank and DPS all in one.

Alphy BSB is exceptional magical DPS...

...and you have Wall/one of the best Medica's in the game.

You're pretty sweet to do all content, sans CM's. If anything, I'd pull for a few more mage relics because there are fights where physical isn't going to work. Or maybe a native Boostaga, to give you more options/flexibility in what you use as your RW. Other than that, pull on whatever you like/your favourites!
I have Jin-Chi-Ten :DD good to know, I didn't pay attention to the Hastega.

Do you think the Summoner Banner or even the second batch of XIII are good to complement my magic deficiency?

Note that I have Exdeath with magic blink and runic / Papalymo's with Ley Lines / Alphinaud's Doublet / Terra's Tiara (I don't have Terra) / Edea's Crown (I don't have Edea) / Kefka's clothes (I don't have Kefka).

I didn't think these three last relics were that good so I didn't waste lodes on Terra, Edea and Kefka. But, thinking about it, it might be a good idea to get at least Terra, for the fire team.

Syntsui

This Lightning's OSB, at least on paper, sounds so much like a bad joke. Whoever has it has to actually use at least 4 times to actually do the damage it's supposed to do?

When every other OSB has secondary effects that stacks up to the damage from the get to go, this one looks extremely underwhelming.

WarAdept

Note that I have Exdeath with magic blink and runic / Papalymo's with Ley Lines / Alphinaud's Doublet / Terra's Tiara (I don't have Terra) / Edea's Crown (I don't have Edea) / Kefka's clothes (I don't have Kefka).

Exdeath with magic blink and runic

ExDeath is a fantastic Dark Sage and you have 2 of his fantastic SSB's.

Papalymo's with Ley Lines

...You have the best (in a vaccum) of the 3 current mage Boostagas.

Alphinaud's Doublet

Your Alphy is even stronger and this will prove more useful for certain fights than his BSB.

Terra's Tiara (I don't have Terra)

This is her more prized SSB (SSB2). Her first one is trash. This allows her to hit crazy hard with Chain Firaga/Meldown/OSB if you manage to get that. If you even want to, you can spam Wrath on her and have her launch EnFired Fire Beams all day. It's an excellent relic.

Edea's Crown (I don't have Edea)

And another mage Boostaga. It's of little use compared to Ley Lines (as LL does that with a higher boost of 30% instead of 20%, and gives Quick Cast to boot), but will be handy for VIII CM's if you choose to do those.

Kefka's clothes (I don't have Kefka).

...wtf. Another mage Boostaga. Carbon copy of Edea's except it's on Kefka.

Your mage meta is perfectly functional and strong (assuming good hones). With the few relics that you've obtained so far, you're in an incredible position right now.

Pull on whatever you wish to.

Syntsui

This is her more prized SSB (SSB2). Her first one is trash. This allows her to hit crazy hard with Chain Firaga/Meldown/OSB if you manage to get that. If you even want to, you can spam Wrath on her and have her launch EnFired Fire Beams all day. It's an excellent relic.
This is something that's not very clear to me yet. Why would en-whatever be good to a mage? I mean, her spells already have their elements set, or does this enhance the power of fire spells? If so, she will be the next in line to level up after the XIV batch.

WarAdept

This is something that's not very clear to me yet. Why would en-whatever be good to a mage? I mean, her spells already have their elements set, or does this enhance the power of fire spells? If so, she will be the next in line to level up after the XIV batch.

EnElement increases the damage output of all attacks of the same element by a flat 50% for abilities and 80% for SB. So any spells that are of fire element that Terra uses will do 50% more damage. In the case of subsequent Fire Beams, they will do 80% more damage.

EnElement is fantastic.

It's also a reason why your Minfilla is going to be a DPS machine. Her BSB grants her EnHoly. Her BSB commands are Holy element, so they get the 50% boost. Get another SB gauge before EnElement ends? Smack them with the same BSB again for 80% more damage than the first time.

Tidd

Abilities with the element deal 50% more damag and SBs 80%.

Edit: too slow. :D

Yes, it boosts fire. So, Chain Firaga, Meltdown, or (Goddess forbid) her fire-based OSB and she will literally melt all the faces.

Especially if it's stacked with Locke's BSB -- or any other Imperil Fire -- and...

anigif_enhanced-26368-1440780907-6.gif

Broke old Gilgamesh's level cap immediately. Waste no time! No good on my 100 gem pull and won't pull on this banner since I have pretty good 13 synergy including Fang's BSB.

thedan001

If I knew this before I would have whaled for her OSB. Thinking about, thank God I didn't know this LOL.

Maybe it will come back in the year 2 anniversary banners in March, who knows?

Like others said, you got all your bases covered regarding relics.

Pretty much all that's needed is to keep leveling characters and honing useful abilities, and before you know it, you will be confident in meta content and CM clears.

I'm lucky to have Locke BSB for fire imperial and Terra's SSB2/OSB combo, FFVI realms are nothing now!

EDIT: and yeah, I'm 99'ing Greg this Sunday along with Edge for his RM4 ninja magic +30% for ninja Tyro!

Broke Gilgamesh, Bartz and Sephiroth's level cap instantly. Its gonna take me a while to raise them all to 99. Still working on Y'shtola and Refia too.

Balphon

Do you think the Summoner Banner or even the second batch of XIII are good to complement my magic deficiency?

I didn't think these three last relics were that good so I didn't waste lodes on Terra, Edea and Kefka. But, thinking about it, it might be a good idea to get at least Terra, for the fire team.

You have better mage stuff than I do, heh.

WarAdept

Awesome, old school Cid Missions are back. (Bring only 3 XIII characters to complete mission).

Although now they can probably be cheesed to hell and back with a simple Maria BSB or something.

thedan001

Can anyone hit me up Minfilia's SSB as RW for me real quick? (Holy Shield, Hydaelyn's Protection)

I'm giving FFV CM a shot but because I already have hastega from sheepsong, I need something that gives atk+50% and another utility, and Minfilia's last stand is a nice one.

However, nothing shows up on website showing friend codes list at all for it!

Can anyone hit me up Minfilia's SSB as RW for me real quick? (Holy Shield, Hydaelyn's Protection)

I'm giving FFV a shot but because I already have hastega from sheepsong, I need something that gives atk+50% and another utility, and Minfilia's last stand is a nice one.

However, nothing shows up on website showing friend codes list at all for it!

Done. ecEa.

... except I don't know how to purge the random followers I have. Any ideas?

thedan001

Going on a remove spree. Add when you like.

Just did

On to FFV CM

Thanks again

EDIT: won on first try

ori4jJCl.png
cGyXjA4l.png
i6T3tC9l.png

My strategy with low leveled characters was to use guts RW to help with survivability. Since I had access to hastega from Krile's sheepsong, I needed atk+ up boostga and Minfilia fit the bill.

Faris BSB for debuffs, wrath entrust battery for Bartz SSB/OSB, using SSB first to get defense up aoe buff then spamming OSB after boss 50% left.. I had 3 SB's ready to go by then >:D

Lenna has no SB's so I fitted her with a shared medica SB doing about 1600 medica's, better than nothing, sheepsong regen helps too.

Greg just BSB tanker as usual. I equipped him with Banishing Strike but realized that his BSB burst command has dispel too, would've used Saint Cross instead.

I am SO NOT ready for Torrent CM, haha. I'm gonna attempt it next time it comes back after I had the chance to level Bartz/Greg/Krile/Lenna to 99

The nice synergy helps too lol

I liked reading this FFV Torment dungeon run: http://imgur.com/gallery/UWnaU Some dedication there.

So the Japanese torment dungeon update. It seems to be a difficulty 300 dungeon has been added to the Gi Nattak dungeon (so Dr. Mog isn't a complete liar) and it has no trash mobs.

Edit: Didn't have enough stamina to solo multiplayer Odin so did it multiplayer way instead. I'm so pleased I bought along Minfilia as her RM dropped but more importantly nobody else had any form of attack boost. It was quite funny though on the first turn I used Gaia's cross and nearly got KOd from all the counter damage. Another highlight was the Asylum bubble breaking from a single Thundara cast.

MrDaravon

Maaaaan I haven't even touched the Raids or Torment Dungeon, I'll have to do that this weekend but don't feel like it haha. Is any of this stuff going to be super rough?

Did finally do the FF14 bonus dungeons and got those done along with the Mastery on the CM, pulling Minfilia's BSB along with already having Y'shtola's Medica + Stoneskin made the U+ fairly easy. Smoldering Fire was also doing some work, I'll have to hone that at some point.

Rixa

I tried to look but couldn't find the info Reddit RK:FAQ When SB is mastered, what does it exactly mean? I have some equipments that are gaining experience towards mastery.

Some I got already mastered and I noticed that unit can use SB without equipping that eq. What other benefits there are for mastering things?

I tried to look but couldn't find the info Reddit RK:FAQ When SB is mastered, what does it exactly mean? I have some equipments that are gaining experience towards mastery.

Some I got already mastered and I noticed that unit can use SB without equipping that eq. What other benefits there are for mastering things?

That's the benefit.

For Super Soul Breaks and higher, there's also a stat bonus - so, a flat +10 to a stat upon mastery.

Rixa

That's the benefit.

For Super Soul Breaks and higher, there's also a stat bonus - so, a flat +10 to a stat upon mastery.

Ok, thanks. What role does Bartz fill in party? Dps, Support or something else? I got Excalibur for Bartz & his unique cape. Was wondering should I swap Tellah to Bartz.

thedan001

When SB is mastered, what does it exactly mean? I have some equipments that are gaining experience towards mastery.

That's the benefit.

It's great being able to use the soul break without the equipment attached to it because of synergy, it was annoying having to use Cloud's Buster Sword in FFX battles since I needed the soul break, instead of Brotherhood with much higher stats.

Also the +10 stat from mastery adds up well if you pull often for your favorite characters.

Alot of people complain about Tyro being weak but he is fantastic after pulling 5 relic books for him, that's +50 ATK, and record dive makes his stats not so pathetic anymore.

Ok, thanks. What role does Bartz fill in party? Dps, Support or something else? I got Excalibur for Bartz & his unique cape. Was wondering should I swap Tellah to Bartz.

Yes, ASAP.

He plays a hybrid of DPS/support with thief abilities.

Butz is a spellblade user. DPS and attacking elemental weaknesses. With his cape, which I think is En-Wind, he should be able to wreck things with Aerora Blade, especially with Steal Power. He's solid.

Balphon

Physical elemental damage. Emphasis on wind if you're going to use Choco Romp from the cape (which you should, it's great).

Falk

that puzzling face
The custom remixes for the game are amped up a notch and are all so good.

Game needs something more than a 1-CD soundtrack release this year.

WarAdept

Alot of people complain about Tyro being weak but he is fantastic after pulling 5 relic books for him, that's +50 ATK, and record dive makes his stats not so pathetic anymore.

Even without any of his SSB+ masteries, synergy will have him rub past the ATK soft cap pretty easily if using a physically offensive Tyro. The little dude is amazing, only Black Mage/Summoner roles is where he comes up short. But that's why Ninja Tyro exists :)

The only complaint I have with him is selecting his abilities. Needs a better way to filter 227840994 pages of abilities.

The custom remixes for the game are amped up a notch and are all so good.

Game needs something more than a 1-CD soundtrack release this year.

Partner is in Japan right now and grabbed me the OST. So excited!

Just did the XIV multiplayer battles. For both difficulties in a successful run the only casualty was my Minfilia (these support character stats are a terrible thing to have on a knight, especially as I run her with Gaia's Cross and Lionheart RM) and Terra dropping 99,999 damage OSBs sure brings the stamps in (though I normally prefer to play support or white mage I've got to bring the huge damage for this fight) though it is a bit of a let down when you miss the pool timing and do about 40k instead. In the successful Apocalypse fight we had two OSBs, myself with Terra and Bartz with his although with no en-element his was doing about 43k damage.

I thank my team mates for the support they provided (I don't know my support SBs IDs well but I think in the Apocalypse fight we also had two full breakdown SBs in play...so my poor Minfilia stayed away from her full break...I also had OK use "I'll support" stamp but not have any support abilities...very confusing).

So remember the user on reddit who had over 2 million casino chips in the orbfest. They finally used nearly all their orbs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...hoardlord_has_evolved_to_honelord_final_list/
But they didn't make Odin. I remember a long time ago when Bahamut would damage cap everything with it's one ht (end game enemies not having 5k+ res), the consensus was to make Odin instead because the instant KO came in handy for that one Seymour battle so you can get past the guards quickly...speaking of which, I only got expert on so I should probably pay it a re-visit sometime but when I look at the few orbs champion gives me I decide to leave it alone.

Balphon

Even if you spot him 50 points Tyro still has lower Attack than hybrids like Vincent at level 80, let alone specialized characters.

It takes a lot to make his stats competitive. He's best suited to a support role, where he's great regardless of what you have item-wise.

Kenai

I rebuild a team for everything, though I probably only use 25 or so characters with any regularity.

Either way it comes down to the SBs you have. E.g., the U++ in the upcoming event is weak to lightning, so I will bring Ashe, since I have her SSB.

The only character I really use outside their own realm that I don't have a SB for is Yuffie.

I like using my favorite characters, but some games (like 1, 2, 8, and 13) just don't have many characters I am fond of,or characters that I have good SBs for, or a combination of the two. In the harder difficulties a trifeca of Hastega/Wall/Medica is damn near mandatory and you can only RW one of those at a time.

I use all of my characters with BSBs/OSBs (12) and there's some really good SSBs too, but it doesn't always line up right for a CM unfortunately. I definitely have some fav teams for crushing content (my EnIm Holy Team is ace, and my Wind Team is looking good too), but I've been trying to do the CMs lately if I have a real shot.

Syntsui

This game seriously needs a better interface to exclude friends. Going through dozens of loading pages is just torture.

Top Bottom