• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Rubenov

The Holy Team is conducting group prayers tonight, polishing their shields and sharpening their blades.

The Tactics Torment tomorrow is going down, Cid Mission style.

friz898

I guess I should finally try Torment. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have the relics to beat any content this game can dish out. The only thing stopping me is laziness lol.

I actually had that same thought or somewhat similar today.

As I freely admit, I don't like gimick stuff or battles that have to be done a certain way.

But I've beat several nightmares and a few mote dungeons with little effort, so maybe I should at least try a d200 Torment.

But I'm telling you guys, if it sucks, I'm going to whine, bitch, moan, cry, and tell you I need level 150 to do it!

Anustart

I actually had that same thought or somewhat similar today.

As I freely admit, I don't like gimick stuff or battles that have to be done a certain way.

But I've beat several nightmares and a few mote dungeons with little effort, so maybe I should at least try a d200 Torment.

But I'm telling you guys, if it sucks, I'm going to whine, bitch, moan, cry, and tell you I need level 150 to do it!

Good news is I hate nightmare for the gimmicks, torment is just straight up hard fights. So no bullshit at least.

friz898

That feel when only holy relic you have is hopes bsb boomerang and white mage damage entry medica.

Serious Question:

You only have 1 real Holy relic?

I don't whale, and that's by far my strongest element. In my little list I made, I have 9-10 people with SSB/BSB/OSB that are Holy damage and/or Holy Buff/Debuff.

I just kinda assumed everybody that's been playing a while probably has that. Because I'm the guy with no native wall, doesn't have Refia relic, OK Gauntlets, TGC OSB, Ramza Shout, or anything Cid Raines.

friz898

Good news is I hate nightmare for the gimmicks, torment is just straight up hard fights. So no bullshit at least.

You know, I played all the Final Fantasies as they were released to include Tactics. I skipped Mystic Quest on SNES. Anyway so with that entry-note, my first real experience to gimmicks in this game was Final Fantasy 10 with that Monster Hunter or whatever battles. You know, the guy with the cave at the largest Overworld or whatever? I was all lvl 99's with "Create-Your-Own" Ultimate weapons using Dark Matter and all that crap, and those battles stomped me other than like 1 or 2 of them.

I go read on the internet how you had to do this, then that, then this, then that, and I had Zero desire to ever attempt that. It didn't become a challenge of can I, or am I leet enough, it became a can I memorize the order of steps or pause and remind myself what step is next.

When the remaster rolled around like 10 years later, I completely skipped that little cave.

Torment(s) tomorrow.

What realm are we getting?

I got a bunch of 5* stuff to R3 now, maybe I can go and CM a few of them that I wasn't able to before, and clear D250's on the rest.

Funny I'm the other way around. The straight up hard fights are basically just simple hone checks, if you have them you win, otherwise you don't. The Nightmare fights actually require paying attention and skill (I mean, insofar as a game like this *can* require skill, but you know what I mean). I wish every event boss in the game were like the nightmare fights so you couldn't just steamroll everything with high level characters.

Inbachi

Neo Member
Sigh....

KddsaEGl.jpg

It's really going to bug me if I can't beat him. I kind of wish I didn't have the needed parts, then it wouldn't matter, but since I do I can't let it go.

Anustart

Serious Question:

You only have 1 real Holy relic?

I don't whale, and that's by far my strongest element. In my little list I made, I have 9-10 people with SSB/BSB/OSB that are Holy damage and/or Holy Buff/Debuff.

I just kinda assumed everybody that's been playing a while probably has that. Because I'm the guy with no native wall, doesn't have Refia relic, OK Gauntlets, TGC OSB, Ramza Shout, or anything Cid Raines.

Yep, only hope ninurta lol.

I have stacks of sought after relics, Ysh burst, ok gauntlets, Alphinaud burst, sheep song, vanille burst, luneth, etc. Just no holy :(

Yep. I just finished the Nightmare records a few days ago and just did my last mote CM today (Reno RW tip ftw!).

I just don't find torments fun to actually do. Its almost too much of a difficulty leap where it goes into being a frustrating challenge instead of a fun one.

Syntsui

So, with the new dailies, will future Orbfests finally have crystals? Time to put the old meta aside and live for the future.

Anustart

I should be able to do 2 torment now, got maria bsb. Was able to cm 2 mote with her being my only sb 2 user. Level 99 Maria, level 50 4 others nothing but mitigation skills.

Not cm on it, but a clear.

I got Onion Knight's OSB, but his stats are horrible and at level 60 it does less damage than many of my 5-star abilities. Am I missing something that makes him not a terrible character?

I really hope we get the Limit Chain Pick Up Banner

Warrior of Light's Ragnarok [LCSSB, +10 ATK] - 11 single-target Holy physical attacks, activates Holy Limit Chain & 20% Holy Field
https://dff.sp.mbga.jp/dff/static/lang/image/gacha_series/promotion_image/28801.png

Raines's Metamorphose Claw [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 6 single-target Dark/Holy magic attacks, higher multiplier if user is Doomed, MAG & DEF +30% to party, Burst Mode (6 x 2.57/3.31)
Attack -> 4 single-target Dark/Holy magic attacks, Instant Magic 1 to user (4 x 2.20, Black Magic)
Defend -> 2 AOE Dark/Holy magic attacks, MAG +30% & RES -30% (2 x 3.90, Black Magic)

Warrior of Light's Shield of Light [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, En-Holy, Burst Mode (8 x 0.81)
Attack -> 2 AOE Holy/NE physical attacks, DEF +50% to user (2 x 0.65, Knight)
Defend -> 1~5 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, number of hits is dependent on user's DEF (1~5 x 0.48, Knight)
*2: 327 DEF, 3: 654 DEF, 4: 1700 DEF, 5: 2490 DEF

Curilla's T. K. Army Sword [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 6 AOE Holy/NE physical attacks, ATK +30% & DEF +50% to party, Burst Mode (6 x 0.96)
Attack -> 4 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, High Regen to self (4 x 0.58, Knight)
Defend -> 2 AOE Holy/NE physical attacks, Sentinel (2 x 0.75, Knight)

Agrias's Venetian Shield [SSB, +10 ATK] - 7 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, En-Holy (7 x 1.11)
Firion's Diamond Helm [SSB, +10 ATK] - 6 AOE Holy physical attacks, En-Holy (6 x 0.85)
Penelo's Holy Rod [SSB, +10 MND] - 3 single-target Holy white magic attacks, h85 heal to party (3 x 4.00)
Raines's Gloves [SSB, +10 MAG] - 5 AOE Holy magic attacks, Imperil Holy (5 x 2.84)
Angeal's Hewley Buster [SSB, +10 ATK] - 6 single-target Holy/NE physical attacks, DEF +100% & High Regen to party (6 x 1.24)

FFIII > FFXI > Limit Chain Pick Up Banner > FFT

Here's a doc with future events

Balphon

I'd rather have a second XI banner with all the Ayame/Curilla/Shantotto stuff we're missing.

That's even less likely though.

evangd007

Because of anniversary, I'm swimming in orbs:
- I can make and R2 Saint Cross or Gaia Cross, or hone Ultra Cure
- I can hone Chain Firaga to R3, or make and hone a different Chain spell to R2
- I have Zell BSB, so I can make and hone a monk ability for him, probably Fires Within for sustain or Exploding Fist for damage
- I could make Powerchain for Orlandu
- I could make Thief's Revenge for Vaan and/or Yuffie
- I could hone my third Lifesiphon to R3, or my first to R4

So much stuff I could do, but I don't know what I should do.

friz898

Because of anniversary, I'm swimming in orbs:
- I can make and R2 Saint Cross or Gaia Cross, or hone Ultra Cure
- I can hone Chain Firaga to R3, or make and hone a different Chain spell to R2
- I have Zell BSB, so I can make and hone a monk ability for him, probably Fires Within for sustain or Exploding Fist for damage
- I could make Powerchain for Orlandu
- I could make Thief's Revenge for Vaan and/or Yuffie
- I could hone my third Lifesiphon to R3, or my first to R4

So much stuff I could do, but I don't know what I should do.

I prefer sant's cross over Gaia Cross. Gaia Cross is a nice taunt and I do use it sometimes but having WoL or Pecil or others carry Sants Cross, Banishing Strike and an Azure Blade RM is pretty potent.

I'd have some of each Chainga.

The monk abilities in this game I don't like much. The two you mention I have and use, but they still don't do anything for me. I guess Fires Within is a preference to me since it has a heal attached.

friz898

If anybody is having trouble with the FF3 Eye boss for onion motes, I've already gotten two and I'm basically farming him.

What works for me:

Onion Knight (99) Fullbreak/Magic Breakdown - Feral Might - (Has mini medica with blowback)
Relm (99) Protectga/Curaja - Into the Fray (prot/shell/haste) (Has burst medica)
Thancred ((99) - Raging Storm/Doppelblade - NinjaDmg RM (Has Wind SSB)
Alphinaud (99) - Shellga/Curaise - Haste (Has Wind BSB and Deployment Tactics)
Zidane (99) - DashSlash/LiffeSiphon - WindDmg RM (Has Wind BSB)

Forr RW, I've done it with wall, with Luneth Wind BSB, and various USB.

Once Zidane lands his Wind BSB, it's basically over. Everybody follows with their Wind spells. Very Fast Fight.

Man I'm loving this imperil dark of gabranth.

Here is my story dungeon team-
Gabranth bsb imperil dark
Garland bsb
Jecht bsb
Tyro for medals
Healer

Lifesiphon to full bars, unleash the imperil and just go to town. Super simple and quick, it helps that I have a couple dark bangles to add some kick for the first imperil round.

Imperils on hand
Lightning x2 lightning bsb cid ssb
Ice-Laguna ssb
Dark gabranth bsb
Water rikku bsb

Holy is elusive despite dropping shitloads of mythril on various banners.

New one is FFT.

Nice! That's one of my strongest realms. Agrias bsb/ssb/ssb2, orlandeau osb/bsb, shout, gaff/mustadio ssb, ovelia medica/magic blink, and almost every relic is 8*.

I'll probably try to run Orlandeau, Agrias, Ovelia, Ramza, and then I'm not sure if I'll give the last spot to Gaffgarion for Ether or Mustadio for Pentabreak

elty

So... what other gacha games do people play?

I have tried:

Valkyria Crusade - got bored after awhile, grindy
Chain Chronicle - used to like it a lot, despite its ridiculous 1.7% 5* rate. However the global version shut down.
Fire Emblem Heroes - the lack of content + my bad luck on pull makes me pause.
FFBE - too grindy + 5* rate sucks
Soccer Spirits - too grindy that cannot be macro.

I have tried:

Chain Chronicle - used to like it a lot, despite its ridiculous 1.7% 5* rate. However the global version shut down.

FFBE is my main Gacha game. I play this and Brave Frontier very casually.

Xetherion

I have tried:

Fire Emblem Heroes is the only other one i play currently. The lack of content doesn't bother me because i enjoy leveling up more characters, i have a very diverse roster of 3* and 4* Level 40's. Also with Skill Inheritance i'm grinding SP on my top characters to add more/better skills to them.

Other gachas I have played:

Mobius FF: boring, grindy gameplay with a lot of inventory management. Plus bad business practices like content gated behind paywalls. I will admit that the multiplayer was fun and probably the most well-executed of any gacha game i've played.

Sword Art Online: very grindy, shitty 5* rates, didn't play it long before uninstalling.

Fantasy War Tactics: easily has the most enjoyable gameplay of any gacha i've played. However, bad business practices like paywalls and Kompu Gachas (Korean game so not subject to Japan's consumer protection laws) drove me away.

Terra Battle: very grindy, grinding involved doing the same stages over and over again to get rare drops. Grinding was extremely boring as once you figured out the optimum moves to beat a stage it was just repeating those moves over and over again.

Brave Frontier: the game that got me started on gachas. Constant bugs like connection errors and game crashes drove me away, though i was becoming bored with the very simple gameplay anyway.

MiTYH

Woooooeeeee! Only at 26 mythril but pulled on the 1/2 off one. Went 3/11, with a new OSB!

- XII - Vaan's OSB
- XII - Vayne's Gloves
- XIV - Papalymo's Stardust Rod

All new!

Syntsui

I have tried:

Brave Exvius - bad rates, but at least the 3* and 4* can be VERY useful for a lot of reasons, it's a very solid game and has a fantastic story. It's the best of the FF gacha easily.

Fire Emblem Heroes - it has the potential to be the best gacha ever made, but the IV and progression system are ATROCIOUS, it's definetly a deal breaker and I can't take it seriously yet.

DBZ Dokkan - the grind is on another level, it's borderline insane even, but it's very fun anyway.

PAD - I'm a little burnt out right now, just logging in
FE Heroes - Also a little burnt out; Arena is meh
Disney Tsum Tsum - GF got me into this game, addicting af
KH Union Cross - Redownloaded it because GF+friends were playing it. It's still mediocre

I completely stopped playing Fire Emblem on iPhone. It's such a gimped version of the 3DS games. It just wasn't fun. Felt like I was going through the motions.

Record Keeper is truly a game changer. This game deserves so much more love.

I tried DBZ, Brave Exvius and Fire Emblem but uninstalled all of them after an hour. So just Record Keeper, which is probably healthy i keep it to one!

I have tried:

Dragon blaze, running rob on the tablet when i' at work, dungeon on tablet at home
Soccer spirits on hiatus... Too grindy, though my team is... Very good :)
Fantasy war tactics on hiatus till season 2
Lights just daily login.. The nerf of summoner scroll drop rate Made me disillusioned
Ffbe low maintenance, almost 24/7 macroing tmr.. Terrible gacha rates
Ffrk just started
Pad i was a veteran, but the game started to feel like a drag..

I guess That's that?

Anustart

Only gacha game I play is this one.

Exvius rates for 5 star are so unbelievably low it's a fucking crime. I ran an emulator on computer, 3 exvius instances opened, pulled over 400 times and got 1 5 star that was just a 3 star leveled up. Fuck off

I have tried:
Used to play. Warning, rant ahead.

Mobius FF: Everything takes about 10 years to do. Too much of a grind on my time. I was out before the Tidus scandal let alone the more recent scandals of the game going down for extended periods with no explanation, players being locked out of accounts for having certain items, leader boards full of cheaters, let's mess up the power curve and difficulty by releasing some stuff way before Japan etc...true FFRK has had it's fair share of issues but it feels like Mobius is wasted potential (especially with how well it seemed to start out...time grind aside) and shouldn't companies know how to run gacha well by now?

FF Brave Exvius: Another grind. Mogcakes were what made me decide, fuck it I'm done which was the same time I quit Mobius. So basically before Lightning was even released. Story battles felt pointlessly easy and the other stuff was arbitrary in difficulty but that is kind of a general gacha problem to be honest.

FE Heroes: Having to delete some file and log back into my Nintendo account every single time I wanted to play else I'd get some error message was a real chore. It also didn't help that it lacks a lot of the things I actually like from Fire Emblem. The lack of content is also concerning given DeNAs involvement. Though maybe that is the game not having abilities to equip (or at least not when I played) so daily dungeons are only EXP. I suppose there was a 2 week rotating challenge thing too.

Anustart

Ugh. If I clear all the torments and get tomorrow's log in mythril, I'll have 24 mythril, nooooooooooooooo. Gotta wait til thursday for my half price salt.

I'm a Day One FFRK player (OG Warrior says hi), but I also play two others.

I'm a casual Fire Emblem: Heroes player, mostly because the content isn't there yet and some things are an inexorable grind; I also think the stat randomization is a joke too. Like FFRK, I don't sink much time into it. It's my least played game, and it'd be the first one I'd drop if I felt a time crunch.

I played Mobius for a couple weeks, but it was so slow. Sadly, I kinda liked the story, or at least I was curious to see where it was going, but it felt like a pared-down console experience with a gacha tacked onto it. By the time the Tidus fiasco rolled around, I was long gone.

I also play FF: Brave Exvius, and that's probably my main game. At this point, my main enjoyment comes from playing through the story and difficult trial content. I run through the daily tasks, which takes about 5 minutes per day, and then generally let it sit. I've had awfully good luck (and yeah, I realize the rates are completely terrible), but I'd be lying if I said the game wasn't losing some appeal.

If I had to qualify things, I'd say:

(1) FFRK is consistently good, but very samey; FFBE is occasionally awesome, but the lows are worse; and FEH is unrealized potential that may never be realized.

(2) FFRK is fair and truly respects players' time (as well as tugs on nostalgia with touches like the anniversary and special messages from developers). FEH is fair and transparent. FFBE isn't fair, nor does it respect players' time -- but it's made some improvements.

(3) For story/narrative, FFBE >>>>>>> FFRK (yes, seriously, it's better than Fire Emblem, at least so far) > FEH (such wasted potential).

Top Bottom