• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

Rpgmonkey

Ah, so after some testing, it appears that the "Target Colors" option is what's causing my game to lag before I confirm an action. I turned it off and the lag disappeared, or it's at least not really noticeable anymore.

Game flows a lot better now.

carroto

duckroll said:
I prefer a lot of the lines in the original translation. The issue isn't about what level the text is. More flowery writing is not automatically better writing. Context and characterization is equally important. Yes, the original FFT script was poorly edited, and there are some pretty horrible translation/editing errors in the text in the forms of typos, incorrect character references, and bad English. I don't think anyone will defend that the original was some awesome translation effort that should never be touched.

But that doesn't automatically make the new translation flawless just because it's better written in most places, and has better editing so it doesn't have blatant errors in it. The PSP translation has its own set of problems. The text really tries too hard in general, and it gets pretty annoying to read when every character sounds like they just walked off some amateur theater stage rehearsing King Richard III.

Something has clearly gone wrong when you go from a line like "Blame yourself or god." which works perfectly well and fits Delita's character and upbringing, into something like "Tis your birth and faith that wronged you, not I." which is just pointless showmanship at this point. It is pretty implausible that someone like Delita would actually say something like that, and it's more implausible that someone who is running away from the scene of a crime would take the time to compose and utter something so extravagant when the actual point of the sentence is to come across as crass and blunt.

I have to say I really enjoy the new translation and consider it really exciting. However I'm not a native English speaker so my perceiption might be different to yours in that regard.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So tell me this, even with the slowdown, is the base framerate at least 60 fps? The PSP version definitely slowed down, but it was 60 fps like the original game (just with a lot of slowdown). Don't tell me the iOS version is 30 fps with slowdown. That would be criminal considering the blurry visuals on display here.

Clunker

duckroll said:
I prefer a lot of the lines in the original translation. The issue isn't about what level the text is. More flowery writing is not automatically better writing. Context and characterization is equally important. Yes, the original FFT script was poorly edited, and there are some pretty horrible translation/editing errors in the text in the forms of typos, incorrect character references, and bad English. I don't think anyone will defend that the original was some awesome translation effort that should never be touched.

But that doesn't automatically make the new translation flawless just because it's better written in most places, and has better editing so it doesn't have blatant errors in it. The PSP translation has its own set of problems. The text really tries too hard in general, and it gets pretty annoying to read when every character sounds like they just walked off some amateur theater stage rehearsing King Richard III.

Something has clearly gone wrong when you go from a line like "Blame yourself or god." which works perfectly well and fits Delita's character and upbringing, into something like "Tis your birth and faith that wronged you, not I." which is just pointless showmanship at this point. It is pretty implausible that someone like Delita would actually say something like that, and it's more implausible that someone who is running away from the scene of a crime would take the time to compose and utter something so extravagant when the actual point of the sentence is to come across as crass and blunt.
There are a few iconic lines that I do miss, but overall I think the Elizabethan tone matches the political intrigue nature of FFT's whole vibe, and finally gives it the heft it was trying to get in the first place. It's all based on opinion, obviously, but I'm also just a word nerd that likes having dense wordplay in my political dramas (Richard III is actually my favorite of the Shakespeare histories). The original translation was fine for the time it came out, but in retrospect that's the one that feels clunky and amateurish to me. It was trying just as hard as WotL's script; the only difference is that WotL actually succeeds at it far more.

And turning Target Colors off in options definitely improved the confirm-action lag, thanks for the tip above. I'll always defend the script, but the programming here is definitely missing a lot of no-shit elements. Framerate is way better during ability animations, but overall it feels more uneven than the PSP port. I'm liking being able to rotate to a custom angle in battle, as I remember never being particularly happy with the four cardinal directions of viewing angles before. It still flops back to one of those angles when it's the enemy's turn, though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Ah, so after some testing, it appears that the "Target Colors" option is what's causing my game to lag before I confirm an action. I turned it off and the lag disappeared, or it's at least not really noticeable anymore.

Game flows a lot better now.

I can vouch for this, the game is now really smooth to play, such an improvement!

I'm slowly getting into this game, although it doesn't make it easy. The text is really annoying, I feel like I'm in some kind of fog it's so blurry. There's no excuse for non-retina text, even if the rest of the game is fuzzy (which I really don't mind that much). I'm starting to get used to the systems the game uses, I like how positioning has an effect when you're fighting and I've adapted pretty well to the controls, I think they're actually really good.

Feeling unsure about the story, the game is hella wordy (not made easier by the blurry text). Really it's just making me want to put the game down and pick up A Feat For Crows which I'm reading at the moment, all this talk of lords and such. I hope there's some depth down the road in the game though, I'm wondering where this is going.

Any other first time players picked this up? How are you feeling it?

duckroll said:
The text really tries too hard in general, and it gets pretty annoying to read when every character sounds like they just walked off some amateur theater stage rehearsing King Richard III.

I can see that. I still think it fit better than the awkward PSone Translation, but the new translation definitely isn't for everybody.

Is there any japanese speaker here who played the original version? What's the tone like compared to the english translations?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
iPad version in FALL?!?! Dammit!

duckroll

thomasmahler said:
I can see that. I still think it fit better than the awkward PSone Translation, but the new translation definitely isn't for everybody.

Is there any japanese speaker here who played the original version? What's the tone like compared to the english translations?

Matsuno's games generally have very normal dialogue as far as language level goes. There's no specific attempt to make the text sound olden or classical. Sometimes he uses more traditional/classical language when a ritual is being performed (like the wedding at the start of FFXII), or when there is a third party narrator who isn't an actual speaking character in the story. Otherwise it's just normal Japanese.

I feel that both Vagrant Story and the Tactics Ogre remake are very good localizations. They improve the tone of the original text, making it sound better and more robust in English, without going overboard with layering the language with clutter. The FFT PSP localization definitely tries way too hard.

For the Delita line in question, the Japanese text is literally "I'm sorry, but blame yourself or god" without any suggestion of high speech.

sikkinixx

if ti were a universal App i would drop $16 on it. A bit much for JUST the iPhone version when the PSN version is only $10, plus I own the fucking thing three times already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I imagine this would control really well with an iPad touch screen, perhaps even better than the original.

Personally I may nab the PSN version, rip the ISO out of it and apply the Complete patch, which inserts the newer PSP translation into the old game for the best of both worlds.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=2686.0

If only that could legally run on PS3's, AFAIK ripping the eboot to .iso with popstation, patching the .iso and converting the eboot and putting the keys.bin/DRM back in WILL NOT WORK. So it's still PSP only.

Frankly, if the PSX version added Balither (fuck Luso), the intro of Balither (in-engine) and the translation, it would be perfect. But it doesn't, so it's inferior like Delita (real spoilers ahead, boys, avoid if you haven't played FFT before)
and gets stabbed by the PSP version despite her not being a true princess in the engine running department

duckroll said:
he FFT PSP localization definitely tries way too hard.

But it's still a far, far, far far superior translation than L I T T L E M O N E Y . . . 's one. I do think Alexander should've been called in, however. There is a light year difference in his translation of high-English in Vagrant Story and FFXII and this other dudes in WotL.

DGRE said:
People complaining about the iOS price are part of the problem. This is a full version of an expansive game that has seen a full price release on multiple consoles. Why isn't this game worth $16 on iDevices? Just because it's on iOS?

No, more like you can get the PSP version of the same damn port for $10 or hell, go full broke and get the PSX version for $5-10 and run it on numerous PSX emulators that may/may not be released on the iPhone. Why the hell would you pay $16 for something that is cheaper on other platforms? :eek:!

Rpgmonkey

I kinda have this feeling that Square Enix shipped it out as it is now because they've been working on the game for too long, and they can just put in the necessary improvements later (I assume when they release the iPad version in a month or two).

I'm guessing the fast-forward/skip option, improved portraits, and improved text will all be included in one update.

These early impressions are making it easier to wait until September at least. Blurry text in such a story and stats heavy game? I don't know why SE seems intent on driving the Tactics series into the ground with such poor ports. Hopefully it gets some good updates between now and when I buy a (hopefully) new hardware powered touch

red13th

duckroll said:

It annoys me that we have to choose between either an error-laden translation (Fire Bracelet - I mean, really?) or ridiculously over-the-top speech.

Yanksfan

I don't really have a problem with paying $16 for the game. It is well worth it. But, as usual, Square has to make it slightly more difficult when they release the same game, on a different platform, for $10. On top of that, it looks as if it won't be a universal app with iPad, which is just one more jab to the consumer.

Will I be buying both iOS and PSP Go versions? Yes. It is one of my personal favorite's, if not my #1. Do I see why people are slightly miffed by it though? Yes.

In the end though, it is still too damn good of a game not to support. Years ago, I happily paid full price for the PSP version and now I can have it on my Go, which I prefer in terms of hardware, along with my phone, which is with me at all times.

Yoshiya

I'll be buying the iPad release, I guess. Would love a FFIII sale in the meantime, SE.

Can't complain really, they did just put out one of my favourite games on the platform (and rhythm games in general) for $1. Groove Coaster earned them a mountain of goodwill.

Minsc

Gold Member
TheSeks said:
Why the hell would you pay $16 for something that is cheaper on other platforms? :eek:!

The ability to start and stop the game in a split second at any point is worth the extra $6 alone for me. PSP version can't instantly resume if you are playing another game on it.

I do think it will be much nicer on the iPad's larger screen, having seen the iPhone version. It's not a deal breaker for me by any means, but everything is a bit on the smaller side. Short of having the stat screens and menus scroll or split in to multiple pages, I don't think there's too much they could do, aside from properly using retina text (which would definitely have helped), and possibly just making the in-game dialog windows a tiny bit larger. As low res as it was, the game was originally meant to be played on TVs and the iPhone has a rather smaller screen in comparison.

HamPster PamPster said:
These early impressions are making it easier to wait until September at least. Blurry text in such a story and stats heavy game? I don't know why SE seems intent on driving the Tactics series into the ground with such poor ports. Hopefully it gets some good updates between now and when I buy a (hopefully) new hardware powered touch

It sounds like it should get a few good updates. All in all, the port could actually have been a lot worse. Yes, they made it easy to say it should have been better, cheaper, had retina everything (joking, it was never going to get a full-blown HD makeover), no slowdown at all (shame, but with faster hardware this does seem possible), but even without all that, there's some nice aspects to the port, which could have also been lacking.

The game seems to have taken off decently despite the bumps, just recently jumped from #20 to #18 in the top selling charts and is currently #1 in the top grossing charts thanks to its high price. Hopefully it sells well enough for them to clean it up a bit further, and possibly draw more attention to the genre.

Zeth

I've never played FFT and my only experience with older Square RPGs is FFIII on iPad. I played about 10 hrs of it and found its antiquated battle system to be a little boring (the way so much of it was just text trees). I really want to give FFT a go, is it much different?

burgerdog

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. It has been too long and I'm stuck right where I was expecting to get stuck. Getting killed by the knight, 3 archers, and 2 black mages. Might have to fight some monsters and beat myself up to level up a bit.

Clunker

burgerdog said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. It has been too long and I'm stuck right where I was expecting to get stuck. Getting killed by the knight, 3 archers, and 2 black mages. Might have to fight some monsters and beat myself up to level up a bit.
Dorter Trade City is always a stumbling block. I typically run around and grind a bit between the two random battle spots before to really get my party members out of Squire & Chemist and into better classes. Just getting to that now ... Forgot how weak you are in the beginning, got rolled by the bombs and imps in the forest. :(

Also, for people new to the game, one of the first things you should do is rotate everyone around as a Squire until you get everyone the JP Up passive ability, which gives you more job points per action and really speeds up character progression.

Zeth

I over leveled both of my characters getting carried away with soul duping and now I feel like I'm over powered to finish world 5. I actually did get killed by one of the first giant dudes in 5-2 where you're stuck walking the sludge so maybe it won't be too lame. I'm assuming there's really nothing I can do except plow through to NG+. My dex build with Hiltless and sharp katanas is about SL 110 and my hybrid Mage is about the same.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Is anyone else playing on iPad? I find the text and controls are not a problem. However, the game seems to be crashing regularly. Fortunately, the autosave kicks in so you don't lose progress, but you have to wait for it to reload every time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Minsc said:
The ability to start and stop the game in a split second at any point is worth the extra $6 alone for me. PSP version can't instantly resume if you are playing another game on it.

*shrug* Get the PSX version if multi-tasking devices are what you want, emulate it on a laptop. Boom, done.

I really don't see the need to charge $6 extra just because it's coming an Apple product. But then again: SQUARE TAX. :/

Ourobolus

Banned
Zeth said:
I over leveled both of my characters getting carried away with soul duping and now I feel like I'm over powered to finish world 5. I actually did get killed by one of the first giant dudes in 5-2 where you're stuck walking the sludge so maybe it won't be too lame. I'm assuming there's really nothing I can do except plow through to NG+. My dex build with Hiltless and sharp katanas is about SL 110 and my hybrid Mage is about the same.
...what is this

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Zeth said:

I understand maybe 15% of what you just said there.

Here's my level - how do you use the phoenix downs in battle?

<--- Noob!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Tobor said:
September is a month away.
Knowing Square, though... Don't get my hopes up, Tobor.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I had an interview with the game's producer:

RPGSite: What sort of challenges did the development staff face when porting the original PSP version to the iOS platform?
Ando: Changing the interface to support full touch control was one. We fully applied all the knowhow we have built up with our previous iOS titles to completely remake the system.

For the PSP version we based it on we could use the L and R buttons and even set it up to use the select and start buttons for control but for the iOS we needed quite a bit of time to experiment and try things out in order to map all the functions that had previously been assigned to buttons to a touch panel and make it smooth and comfortable to use.

In the end I think we have created a version of FFT that is pleasant and intuitive to play and which could not be done on any platform other than smart phones!

RPGSite: Square-Enix has supported a wide variety of content on iOS for some time now. Are there any plans to expand to either the Android Marketplace and/or Windows Phone 7?
Ando: As long as there is a possibility that our customers could enjoy these various platforms we will always be looking into and discussing whether it would be meaningful to provide our products on them.

I personally feel that both Android and Windows Phone 7 are very appealing platforms and we have actually already released Crystal Defenders on Android.

We are also examining the possibilities for Windows Phone 7 from all angles.

RPGSite: What are the advantages of bringing over a game like Final Fantasy Tactics to iOS rather than other handheld or mobile gaming platforms?
Ando: Firstly there is the ability for people who have an iOS device but do not have another mobile game or mobile phone game platform to enjoy this title.

FF3 that we released at the start of this year is a good example of this and was itself originally a DS title that we remade for iOS, allowing even more customers to enjoy the game.

Also, this clearly depends on individual customer's preferences but I think that being able to play a strategy RPG with full touch controls will bring a new and different kind of experience and enjoyment.

I think there is a very fresh appeal in being able to intuitively spin, expand and contract the map using touch controls and directly select where to go and which enemy to attack.

RPGSite: Will the game feature Game Center achievements?
Ando: The title does not support these features at the moment. FFT is not a game focused on competitive play or high scores and even without an achievements system still has more than enough hidden extras, challenges and replay value built in.

We have however recently started supporting the Game Centre achievements on titles such as Crystal Defenders and Chaos Rings Omega and are just beginning to see the potential and appeal in the system. There is a possibility that we will introduce achievements support after release depending on customer opinions.

RPGSite: The PSP version had a lot of content including cameos by Final Fantasy VII’s Cloud and Final Fantasy XII’s Balthier. Will those characters be present in the iOS version, and will there be any major changes when it comes to the game’s content in general?
Ando: Even though everyone knows this from the PSP version anyway, I think that secret characters should be kept secret so I am not telling!

Taking a look at at the game's overall content, we did consider including everything from the PSP version but after carefully and deeply considering the unique characteristics of the platform and how people will be playing the game we decided to refrain from including the shared and versus battle functions that were available on it in this version.
All other content has been included though.

RPGSite: Are there any future plans to bring any other classic Square-Enix games to the iOS or other digital platforms?
Ando: The FFT War of the Lions iOS porting project was originally brought about because we had so many requests from our customers writing in to places like the App store etc.

We value the opinions and voices of our customers more than anything and as long as there is demand for further ports we will continue to try and plan for them.

RPGSite: How does Final Fantasy Tactics on iOS handle the unpredictability of iOS itself in regards to backgrounds apps being terminated for memory issues at any time, incoming phone calls, etc?
Ando: Almost all Square-Enix titles for iOS have an auto save function that allows the user to return to the game easily and without stress after taking a sudden phone call or receiving e-mail etc. FFT is no exception in this regard.

There are some technical difficulties in implementing this for some titles but I personally think that whatever the reason may be, unless you can overcome that hurdle then the game really shouldn’t be released on this platform in the first place.

RPGSite: Are there any plans to translate the game into other languages such as French, Spanish for the iOS release such as what was done for Final Fantasy I and II?
Ando: I am very sorry but there are currently no plans for that at the moment.
If there is enough passion for it and we hear enough requests then we would very much like to look into the possibility of localising FFT though. I would be very happy if there was a lot of support from the French and Spanish speaking communities for such a project.

RPGSite: Thank you for your time.

http://psp.rpgsite.net/articles/301-final-fantasy-tactics-ios-interview

Skilletor

Zeth said:

Wrong thread? No NG+ in FFT so far as I know.

lupinko

FFT runs bad on iPhone 4? Ouch, I'd just settle for the OG PSone PSN version on a Vita at this point in the future.

Decado

I get the impression that this isn't a good port :(

Was really hoping I'd finally have a meaty game to play on my iphone. Next time I don't think I'm going to buy a high-end smart phone. Not worth it. I barely play games on it at all.

Minsc

Gold Member
Decado said:

Was really hoping I'd finally have a meaty game to play on my iphone. Next time I don't think I'm going to buy a high-end smart phone. Not worth it. I barely play games on it at all.

Without modding or hacking isos, here is a basic outlook on the 4 versions:

PS1:
+ Perfect framerate
+ wonky script
- wonky script
- low res
- no multiplayer
- 4:3 aspect ratio limits view of battlefield
- less content (no new jobs, videos, characters from WotL)

PSP:
+ new content
+ widescreen
+ multiplayer
+ new script
- over-formal new script.
- Spotty framerate during spell effects
- (cannot be improved, hard-coded in to engine)
- low res

iPhone:
+ new content
+ widescreen
+ improved load times
+ fast forward / skip batte scenes & cutscenes (coming)
+ improved save/resume feature
+ new script
+/- Framerate depends on device used
+/- touch controls
- no multiplayer
- low res
- blurry text
+ (may be fixed in update and become extra-sharp if retina)
+ possible future improvements via free updates
- More expensive

iPad:
+ some high res graphic updates
- may still contain lots of low res graphics
+ new content
+ widescreen
+ new script
+ improved load times
+ fast forward / skip batte scenes & cutscenes (coming)
+ improved save/resume feature
+ new script
- no multiplayer
+/- Framerate depends on device used
+/- touch controls
+ possible future improvements via free updates
- Most expensive

chris-013

Decado said:

What ?
It's the best port if you want the last version of the game.

MarshMellow96 said:
Okay, how does it compare to Disgaea?

I find the story and customization far better in FFT. Disgaea has silly (but in a good way) story but FFT completely overshadows it in that department. The customization through the job system is much better in FFT. I always found reincarnating characters and such in Disgaea more annoying then anything.

Gameplay is pretty similar although I might give Disgaea the edge in being "deeper" between throwing characters, group attacks, and the geo system it certainly makes you think more. Neither would be called a hard game certainly. FFT is all about setting up your team before battle.

In Disgaea teams take turns (you go then the enemy goes) while in FFT turns are per character so it could be you, enemy, enemy, you, you, you, enemy, etc...

End game content is a toss up. FFT has more sidequests but none will last you as long as the item world or leveling to 9999.

All that said FFT doesn't have that government thing so it wins by default :p

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Picked up the PSone version to play on my PS3, however, the controls are Japanese (circle to confirm, X to cancel). Is there a menu option where I can switch it to the North American controls I am used to (X to confirm, triangle to cancel)?

Top Bottom