• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

zennyzz

The guitar, drums, and some of the nuances are inferior.

The tracks aren't bad, but they're not as good as the PSP version.

I don't agree, the Quiet bloodbath is way better with the new riff compared to the old one. It's more muted and definitely fits the tone way better.

yeah, agreed. I liked the intro a lot, though.

So about the whole timing to instant kill enemies... if I'm holding down square to attack (with Ace for example) and the red trigger thing pops up, do I let go of Square and then press it again when the beep happens or what? Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

It's a timing thing, some characters are better at it than others. Ace is pretty hard to kill sight with, but he has other benefits to make up for it.

The guitar, drums, and some of the nuances are inferior.

The tracks aren't bad, but they're not as good as the PSP version. The only improvement is that the chanting in Servants of the Crystal is more pronounced.

Currently listening with headphones on.

Nope.

I could understand people's complaints with FFX (even if I disagree), but the HD version is better here.

Pachimari

Don't remember if I asked in this thread already. But I have a pre-order since Dec 12 2014 and is looking to cancel it. But will I have a chance getting the FF XV demo if I order a copy of Type 0 on April 1?

yeah, agreed. I liked the intro a lot, though.

So about the whole timing to instant kill enemies... if I'm holding down square to attack (with Ace for example) and the red trigger thing pops up, do I let go of Square and then press it again when the beep happens or what? Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

It's not about when you press square, it's when your attack actually hits the enemy. In the case of Ace his attacks take a while to actually hit because they have to travel to them so you have to predict when they are going to turn red, attack a little bit before that and hope the attack hits as they are red.

I've never played a final fantasy before but wanna get into the series. I loved Lost Odyssey and really liked Ni no Kuni, should I skip final fantasy 13 as I hear that a lot of FF fans are not keen on it and just go straight to type 0?

Reveirg

I've never played a final fantasy before but wanna get into the series. I loved Lost Odyssey and really liked Ni no Kuni, should I skip final fantasy 13 as I hear that a lot of FF fans are not keen on it and just go straight to type 0?

FFXIII is divisive but I think it's a great game, especially if linear experiences don't bother you.

You don't need to play XIII to understand another FF (FF games are all completely separate from one another), so yeah, you can start here, no problem.

It's a timing thing, some characters are better at it than others. Ace is pretty hard to kill sight with, but he has other benefits to make up for it.

It's not about when you press square, it's when your attack actually hits the enemy. In the case of Ace his attacks take a while to actually hit because they have to travel to them so you have to predict when they are going to turn red, attack a little bit before that and hope the attack hits as they are red.

Ohhh, I see.

I kind of wish it was about when you pressed the attack button rather than when the attack actually lands. I can see why Ace would have more issues with getting the timing down since his cards hit in an almost staggered pattern.

Soriku

Currently listening with headphones on.

Nope.

I could understand people's complaints with FFX (even if I disagree), but the HD version is better here.

If I were to be more specific, I much prefer the "cleaner" sounding guitar of Servant and White Weapon as opposed to the extra shedding and garage-sounding riffs in the HD versions. In Bloodbath I like the reverb (?) effect more plus the harder sounding drums (the HD version in general is more muted).

I've been listening to the PSP soundtrack for years though. I'll give the HD versions some more listening time. They're still good.

Ohhh, I see.

I kind of wish it was about when you pressed the attack button rather than when the attack actually lands. I can see why Ace would have more issues with getting the timing down since his cards hit in an almost staggered pattern.
This is so you don't break the game with characters like Cinque, who hit hard and slow.

And that's were a lot of the learning comes from, knowing enemy patterns and knowing your own animations as well.

If I were to be more specific, I much prefer the "cleaner" sounding guitar of Servant and White Weapon as opposed to the extra shedding and garage-sounding riffs in the HD versions. In Bloodbath I like the reverb (?) effect more plus the harder sounding drums (the HD version in general is more muted).

I've been listening to the PSP soundtrack for years though. I'll give the HD versions some more listening time. They're still good.
I've been listening to the PSP soundtrack for years too, but I found the HD version just better in general.

But I don't judge game tracks on how you can listen to them separately, I judge them on the scenes they play, and the HD version certainly fits those scenes better than the PSP tracks.

Ohhh, I see.

As you level up you open up more techniques that will make getting kill sights alot easier, Jack is a pro at kill sight massacres, and believe or not King, with "point blank"..Death incarnate.

JoeFenix

So I booted this up just to check out the intro and picked Agito difficulty, does it actually ever get reasonable or will everything one hit kill my characters for the entire game?

I don't mind a rough start but this was just tedious and ridiculous, other than deadsight and blindsight none of my attacks did anything considering the stat advantage that the enemies had. I'm sure it's doable with enough patience but it's not exactly challenging in a fun way.

If it does even out though I'd probably rather play on this difficulty right off the bat, otherwise I'll just bump it down to Officer and save Agito for another playthrough.

So I booted this up just to check out the intro and picked Agito difficulty, does it actually ever get reasonable or will everything one hit kill my characters for the entire game?

I don't mind a rough start but this was just tedious and ridiculous, other than deadsight and blindsight none of my attacks did anything considering the stat advantage that the enemies had. I'm sure it's doable with enough patience but it's not exactly challenging in a fun way.

If it does even out though I'd probably rather play on this difficulty right off the bat, otherwise I'll just bump it down to Officer and save Agito for another playthrough.

save it for another playthrough when you've near maxed your favorite characters

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you guys would compare it to a previous FF, which would it be?

JoeFenix

save it for another playthrough when you've near maxed your favorite characters

Thanks, kind of a weird decision to let players pick that difficulty right off the bat. Actually, I didn't check but is it possible to change the difficulty mid playthrough?

If so I might just try and push through for a bit on Agito and see where it takes me, if I can get to a point where I don't get one shotted it might get more enjoyable.

/\ Yes, at a save point you can change the difficulty.

Since I'm like, not super good at this kind of game, what's the recommended party?
Queen/Ace/Nine like the tutorial gives you is a decent team.

If you have a melee character and a ranged character, you can't go wrong (spend a few minutes on the arena to see who are your favorites).

If you guys would compare it to a previous FF, which would it be?
Crisis Core. But bigger and better =X

Type 0 is a lot darker and more serious than I remember it to be

Also I discovered that there's no actual pause menu the hard way when I had to answer the door, came back to a game over screen. Wonderful

komorebi

Holy frakk the motion blur is making me sick and I normally never have problems with games. Plus there's no option to adjust the stick sensitivity either. A gust of air passing over the stick is enough to make the camera explode with blur, wtf. I've been waiting so long for this game and I'm not sure if I can even play it! I can't believe this.

jackdoe

I wish they put the character dialog subtitles in the lower middle of the screen instead of the upper right. I'm missing a ton of in-game dialog because of this. Normally, I'd switch to English VA for an issue like this, but I really don't like the sound of Steve Blum's voice.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just in the first chapter and my few complaints are that the camera is kinda weird and the NPCs didn't get upgrades.

Fun battle system but I get FFXIII vibes from the story.

Korezo

I had to turn on the motion enhancer on my tv to try to make that damn motion blur minimal when moving camera.. The game sometimes look sub hd.

So... collector's edition, or psn edition.... PSN edition being almost twice as cheap for me.
I don't know. I love final fantasy. I used to, at least. I guess I am kind of tired of CE. Are the manga/artbook nice?

So... collector's edition, or psn edition.... PSN edition being almost twice as cheap for me.
I don't know. I love final fantasy. I used to, at least. I guess I am kind of tired of CE. Are the manga/artbook nice?

Not bad, artbook is large pages but not a large number of pages.- usual kind of pics, nothing particularly interesting

Case looks good (Steelcase) but despite box being undamaged case was dented

Game plays kinda janky, shows its PSP roots so...I would get the version thats half price.

Just in the first chapter and my few complaints are that the camera is kinda weird and the NPCs didn't get upgrades.

Fun battle system but I get FFXIII vibes from the story.

The camera was way worse on the PSP version.
I really hoped that exp can be shared between all party members so we don't have to grind them one by one. That's my biggest gripe from my experience with the PSP version.

Not bad, artbook is large pages but not a large number of pages.- usual kind of pics, nothing particularly interesting

Case looks good (Steelcase) but despite box being undamaged case was dented

Game plays kinda janky, shows its PSP roots so...I would get the version thats half price.

Cool. Thanks, this pushed me in the right direction. Enough hoarding :)
except for big boss's arm, of course

luffxan

Definitely go straight to Type0. Type0 is phenomenal (this will be my third playthrough) whereas XIII has some potential but just ends up horribly mediocore

Chris R

Liked the intro. Hope the combat complexity and difficulty steps up really soon though, jamming square isn't a ton of fun.

Aeana

Liked the intro. Hope the combat complexity and difficulty steps up really soon though, jamming square isn't a ton of fun.

Even from the start, you're better off doing kill sights instead of jamming the attack button in most cases. With that said, you can unlock different things for your regular attacks. For instance, Ace begins with a focused attack that you trigger by pressing the analog stick down and holding square. There's lots of stuff like that.

MilkBeard

Just watched the opening video before the main menu. I have to say, that was pretty bad ass. SE is still one of the top CG video developers.

kaiiri

man.. just started and hit the first boss (?) .. the one aftee you get to use
odin
.. and getting wrecked? am I missing something?

also... how's the English voice acting? or should I just stick with japanese?

Ferrio

Banned
Even from the start, you're better off doing kill sights instead of jamming the attack button in most cases. With that said, you can unlock different things for your regular attacks. For instance, Ace begins with a focused attack that you trigger by pressing the analog stick down and holding square. There's lots of stuff like that.

Saw someone on stream rocking a flute, can you play the whole game fluting it up? Screw hitting stuff, just jam!

iiicon

Has anyone tried to play this with Remote Play? Something weird is going on. When my Vita connects to my PS4, Type-0 doesn't show up on my menu. A fully playable version of Yakuza Ishin does, however.

BmfXeyL.jpg
This is just baffling. I have no idea how to explain this.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just started this...

Oh my god what the fuck! There's blood and dead people and... And..
the chocobo!

Hate the vaseline filter and the overall blurness but otherwise surprised by what I am seeing.

SougoXIII

Has anyone tried to play this with Remote Play? Something weird is going on. When my Vita connects to my PS4, Type-0 doesn't show up on my menu. A fully playable version of Yakuza Ishin does, however.

This is just baffling. I have no idea how to explain this.

Well now.... I guess we're getting a free game?

Top Bottom