• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

First impressions after completing chapter 1 (which is supposed to be a tutorial of some sort?): Just what in the hell is going on in this game??

I understood going in that the story was obtuse but that doesn't mean the writing has to go out of its way to just not make any sense. I paid attention as closely as I could, and I feel like I got 75% of it, but that other 25% is really a turn off.

The game doesn't explain its mechanics very well. It just dumps everything on you within the first five minutes, bombarding you with stuff you can do. It doesn't explain what each of the characters' abilities do, and even in menus I can't find anything that says "This attack type does this." I hope that first chapter was an abili-tease, and now the game is going to step back and actually explain how to play it.

I really hope this improves.

Ugh... this turns me off. I mean, I was really opening to giving this a shot. FFXV demo is a bonus.

jimmypython

played a bit (around 3 hours)...WOW was that necessary to put this much motion blur when spinning the camera?? I had to take a break otherwise I would puke all over...

So far, the original psp version (100+ hours) was a better game for me.

BajiBoxer

Banned
So if I don't use the control stick for camera movement and only use R3 to snap it forward or let the lock on with enemies controll it, it's much less strenuous on the eyes. I can finally manage now.
This is how I'm doing it for the most part. That motion blur is crazy. Who thought that was a good idea?

I've played a bit under two hours so far. Controls had a learning curve, and it was a real pain in the ass until I figured out the potions. I like the battle system, and the voice acting seems alright for the most part. Except for the "This sucks" chick, nothing has really bothered me. I do recommend checking out the "setting" entry under story on the Wikipedia page if confused though. The story doesn't seem to be set up all that well.

Also, I love the history documentary narration scenes.

Edit: I agree with everyone that the tutorial is a joke. Makes me miss old fashioned manuals.

As someone prone to dizzy spells and vertigo, the impressions on the camera really worry me. Hoping to dive in later tonight. Guess we'll find out.

First impressions after completing chapter 1 (which is supposed to be a tutorial of some sort?): Just what in the hell is going on in this game??

I understood going in that the story was obtuse but that doesn't mean the writing has to go out of its way to just not make any sense. I paid attention as closely as I could, and I feel like I got 75% of it, but that other 25% is really a turn off.

The game doesn't explain its mechanics very well. It just dumps everything on you within the first five minutes, bombarding you with stuff you can do. It doesn't explain what each of the characters' abilities do, and even in menus I can't find anything that says "This attack type does this." I hope that first chapter was an abili-tease, and now the game is going to step back and actually explain how to play it.

I really hope this improves.

I didn't get that impression at all. Obviously, there's
a war between two nations with one using magitek armor and the other using magic. And talking to NPCs after the first boss you learn that the nation with the magitek is low on resources and is attacking your nation (probably for said resources).

And the game isn't gonna reveal the whole story/characters to you right in the beginning, but I didn't feel lost. Its a much better way to start a game than to just have a really slow beginning.

Also, what didn't you understand about the mechanics? They seem simple enough, and they don't really have to explain what every attack does. Experiment and use them and see what happens, but if you really want to know, when you go to save crystal you can look at each characters skills, how to use them, and upgrade them and get new skills in one of the menus.

I appreciate the game just gives you the bare minimum and then lets you experiment and see what does what.

zennyzz

I found the best way to overcome the camera is to set lock on to tap and then switch between enemies with r2 and l2

I have bad luck with new releases, I'm sick of this shit. I wanted to reserve in store and pick it up, but I got busy at work. At 3pm I got a chance to reserve it but it was sold out in every store in the city except the one 30 min away. So I reserved it and my friend picked it up and I will have it tomorrow.

Never get games release date anymore, something always f's up.

I have bad luck with new releases, I'm sick of this shit. I wanted to reserve in store and pick it up, but I got busy at work. At 3pm I got a chance to reserve it but it was sold out in every store in the city except the one 30 min away. So I reserved it and my friend picked it up and I will have it tomorrow.

Never get games release date anymore, something always f's up.

Yeah, unless you're something as big as Destiny or Battlefield.

Zukuu

Banned
If I want to play this for the story mainly would I be disappointed or fine?
If you're looking for "generic and bare bones bad story", which only "makes sense with a second playthrough", "shallow characters that each only have a trope persona and no exposition whatsoever" and"it doesn't make sense how XYZ reacts at all" you're in for a treat.

I played an hour or so, and I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay. The combat is fun and while it's not explicitly explained how all the mechanics come into play, I did figure it out. I think I'm gonna have a good time with this one.

As someone prone to dizzy spells and vertigo, the impressions on the camera really worry me. Hoping to dive in later tonight. Guess we'll find out.

I have chronic vertigo (4-5 spells per day on average), and I adjusted to it after a little while. Using R3 to center the camera instead of swinging it is ideal though.

If you're looking for "generic and bare bones bad story", which only "makes sense with a second playthrough", "shallow characters that each only have a trope persona and no exposition whatsoever" and"it doesn't make sense how XYZ reacts at all" you're in for a treat.

Why even come into this thread if you hated the game so much?

RDreamer

Also, the voice acting is awful. Especially the girl who continuously says "This sucks." Are you serious?

It kind of waivers back and forth between better than that and sometimes worse, but yeah that was a strikingly stupid translation/VA, especially starting off the game like that. Seriously who green lights this shit?

Dugna

1. Camera is giving me a headache
2. Everything was fine intill the Fire nation attacked... ( I know Avatar isn't the original but still...) is how I see the story currently.

How does this game stack up to FF7-10 in terms of story and gameplay?

That's a really subjective question where you'll probably get a different answer depending on the person you're asking. I guess my answer would be that those games have mediocre stories anyway so it can't really be much worse? I've only played a chapter so I can't give you any kind of answer.

And the gameplay is way too different to be compared to any of them. It feels like a much more focused and grander Crisis Core with allies. Kind of feels kingdom hearts at times with its menus and execution.

jwk94

Does anybody else not care about the story? I just got done with the intro section and I have no desire to pay attention.

nictron

Just played the first chapter. Japanese voice with subtitles is the way to go for me. It's really fun but there is a bit of a learning curve. I doubted everyone, but swiveling the camera is like being on the tea cups for half a second at a time.

Hah that's cool, guide says you can do secret training for 1 character to earn xp while not playing. Every 2 hours they fight 1 enemy up to 12 fights max.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yeah I'm not liking the game as much as I initially would of thought :(

The camera & controls is a turn-off for me; nonetheless, FFXV demo was worth the price of entry.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Number one, Camera sensitivity has to be toned down by tons. Number 2, motion blur is not next gen, lower or disable that shit.

Those are the two major immediates that jumped out at me, and I had to get used to both of them. that should not be the way.

As for the plot, i was told that it was structured as a puzzle throughout the game and that's why i'm not suprised about it. I just made do with the basics, "country gets invaded by another country, the invading country also has super extra powerful soldier on their side, country must fight back"

Kama_1082

Banned
I bought the hardcover guide and it explains everything very well. It was the added bonus since I do collect hardcover guides for my bookshelf

Jawmuncher

Oh man people weren't kidding about that camera. I can handle it but geez who thought that much motion blur was needed. Hope they patch that in the future since it seems to be a very common complaint. Only played a little bit though but I am liking everything else so far. Little worried about how this playthrough will go for me. Decided to skip cadet difficulty and I won't be playing with a guide. Seems i'll be missing a lot though oh well.

Zukuu

Banned
Why even come into this thread if you hated the game so much?
To talk about a game I've played. I also talked about party composition and tips etc. I just answered a question. I just don't sugar coat it. The story and characters just have massive problems. I haven't even wrote anything subjective, apart from calling the story "bad". The rest are pretty much facts.

burgerdog

I'm enjoying the gameplay but I have no idea what's going on with the story. I would also love it if they explained the game a bit more instead of overloading you in the beginning.

There is a pause menu if i'm not mistaken, it says PAUSE next to it

Yeah I found it after digging through the actual options menu to look for a camera sensitivity option.

I'm not prone to motion sickness. But I had to take a break for a while cause that motion blur is... The person who thought adding THAT MUCH motion blur was a good idea, is a fucking moron.

RDreamer

I like using Rem and Nine so far. Rem's got some equips that give her a disgusting amount of MP now. Nine just does a lot of damage with his jump command. It's nice against big enemies.

The game has been charting high on Amazon all month long. A PSP remake doing that good.

SE getting away with money.

This was honestly the most genius move SE could have made money-wise. The game would have been perfect on Vita, but sold like shit. Here they did minimal work to up-res it, then charged 60 bucks and tacked on FFXV demo to force people into the proposition. It's going to pay off a ton. When I went to the midnight release there were a ton of people there for this.

What is this nonsense about not being able to pause cutscenes.

Hit the PS button.

Jawmuncher

Ok I gotta know. Exactly what does New Game Plus and the additional cut scenes entail?
Are we talking cut scenes i'll automatically see at some point ala Nier, or am I still gonna have to find them within the game.

Astral Dog

All this complaining about the camera, didnt they said they would fix it after critics gave impressions on a demo? or it was even worse?, and what are the chances of fixing this with an update

So there's this mission:
where you have to take back Toboleth(?). I made it in fine and all, but half my characters got wiped when I made it to this gate where a golem is summoned. Thinking it's like that mysterious thing that was flying in the intro with ???? HP, I thought I just had to attack and evade. Nope. I just had to wait until the timer ran out and run away. -__- Then with like three of my good characters left(and some weak ones), I made it to the actual boss, the flying mech dude. He's so damn fast, I have to wait until he goes down on his own to hurt him. By then, I only have my weakest characters and...yeah. It sucks that my LAST character (Trey) got him to like 2-3 hits away from winning and I got killed. :( So now I have to restart the mission.

Why isn't there any way to use a Phoenix Down on members of your reserve squad? :/

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ok I gotta know. Exactly what does New Game Plus and the additional cut scenes entail?
Are we talking cut scenes i'll automatically see at some point ala Nier, or am I still gonna have to find them within the game.

Both. It manifests as new cut scenes and different character interactions of all types among other things...its pretty much required if you want to maximize your knowledge of the characters and story

All this complaining about the camera, didnt they said they would fix it after critics gave impressions on a demo? or it was even worse?, and what are the chances of fixing this with an update

Well if we keep complaining like this i'd say the odds are pretty high, so keep at it!

jimmypython

Yeah it seems they only attempted to fix the camera distance/angle but not the controlling aspect.

get rid of the motion blur (which wasn't there in the PSP version) would fix a lot.

LProtag

So there's this mission:
where you have to take back Toboleth(?). I made it in fine and all, but half my characters got wiped when I made it to this gate where a golem is summoned. Thinking it's like that mysterious thing that was flying in the intro with ???? HP, I thought I just had to attack and evade. Nope. I just had to wait until the timer ran out and run away. -__- Then with like three of my good characters left(and some weak ones), I made it to the actual boss, the flying mech dude. He's so damn fast, I have to wait until he goes down on his own to hurt him. By then, I only have my weakest characters and...yeah. It sucks that my LAST character (Trey) got him to like 2-3 hits away from winning and I got killed. :( So now I have to restart the mission.

Why isn't there any way to use a Phoenix Down on members of your reserve squad? :/

Same thing happened to me almost, but I remembered
you gain the ability to summon that mission. Curbstomped the boss with Ifrit.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Are there any tips i can get for playing this game? Are my characters switching and out randomly with AI named after game devs or is that just me? Also, what am I supposed to be paying attention to story wise? Do I talk to everyone? Did that bomb thing they keep going on about? Because all I saw was a still image.

Top Bottom