• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

LProtag

Are there any tips i can get for playing this game? Are my characters switching and out randomly with AI named after game devs or is that just me? Also, what am I supposed to be paying attention to story wise? Do I talk to everyone? Did that bomb thing they keep going on about? Because all I saw was a still image.

It'll ask if you want to get support from other cadets at the beginning of a mission. Refuse and these characters won't pop up.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are there any tips i can get for playing this game? Are my characters switching and out randomly with AI named after game devs or is that just me? Also, what am I supposed to be paying attention to story wise? Do I talk to everyone?

There are AI controlled party members in the game at certain points yes if you ask for them. and yes you talk to just about everyone in town, in school, other cities. Go ham and explore, that's the best way to get backround info

Is there a main character you play as (ace) throughout the game or does it get mixed around? Main as in exploring between missions

ryseing

Shockingly, I'm enjoying this more than ED.

Ace and the bow guy are a blast to play as. The bow guy kicks ass in the RTS sections. Need to find a third character I like.

The areas are way too small. Bad holdover.

Do I need to be buying gear, or is better stuff given out?

J-Tier

I've been playing this game all day, and I'm loving it.

There better be a representative from this game for the upcoming Dissidia.

Zukuu

Banned
Is there a main character you play as (ace) throughout the game or does it get mixed around? Main as in exploring between missions
There is no main character. You can go around and talk with some of your team mates between missions to get a few cutscenes. If anything, the story focus is entirely on Machina + Rem later in the game.

The story starts without explaining a lot, and they explain as the game goes on. They don't heavy hand the story, pretty much ever...

Also, how can people not understand the controls when they are constantly mapped at the bottom of the screen? >.>

Besides that all you need to know is the Kill Sight, which is just the counter system, attack when the enemy has an opening and you deal a lot of damage.

Pretty much everyone is with you almost all the time.

There is no main character. You can go around and talk with some of your team mates between missions to get a few cutscenes. If anything, the story focus is entirely on Machina + Rem later in the game.

Thanks, but who is 'you' can walk around? Can you walk around as anyone or are you one char

LProtag

You can pick who you want to use to explore the academy. Sometimes for certain cutscenes you need to be a certain character though, and it's seemed like that's been Ace/Machina/Rem for me so far. They've been getting a lot more character development and plot too.

I haven't really been following this game all that much. Just wanted to ask, does it force you into a traditional Tank/DPS/Healer party composition or are you free to mix and match?

Just based on character designs, I'm thinking of using Cater, Seven either Eight or Sice. Would that party be viable?

Cornbread78

Uggh, this is gonna take some getting used to. I can't figure out the way to draw MP from downed enemoes, or her leaders items.. it days press R1 and square, but nothing. .

Zukuu

Banned
Thanks, but who is 'you' can walk around? Can you walk around as anyone or are you one char
You can pick any of the 14 characters at any time between the missions. For the missions, you have to pick at least 3 characters and 0 to 11 or so as reserve characters. Not every character is available at all times tho (Mainly
Machina
isn't usable for a period of time towards the end).

J-Tier

You can pick who you want to use to explore the academy. Sometimes for certain cutscenes you need to be a certain character though, and it's seemed like that's been Ace/Machina/Rem for me so far. They've been getting a lot more character development and plot too.

Is there a way for me to switch characters while roaming in the academy? I've been having to go out into the field and into monster battles, switch characters, win the battle, then return to the academy with the character I want to complete certain tasks, which is tedious and probably wrong. But I couldn't figure it out, tried using the red crystals and various other things.

Did I miss something in the beginning?

Ah that's very cool

Man there is a ton of useful stuff in the strategy guide that should have been in a physical manual, I miss full colorful manual for RPG games.

Zukuu

Banned
I haven't really been following this game all that much. Just wanted to ask, does it force you into a traditional Tank/DPS/Healer party composition or are you free to mix and match?

Just based on character designs, I'm thinking of using Cater, Seven either Eight or Sice. Would that party be viable?
You need a range character for some battles. Other than that, you can do what you want. That said, Melee + Range + Mage does seem to function the best.

LProtag

Is there a way for me to switch characters while roaming in the academy? I've been having to go out into the field and into monster battles, switch characters, win the battle, then return to the academy with the character I want to complete certain tasks, which is tedious and probably wrong. But I couldn't figure it out, tried using the red crystals and various other things.

Did I miss something in the beginning?

Use the red crystals and pick the top option, I forget what it's called. There you just pick the character you want to use.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Better question this time. There's this "Time to Mission:" couter. I know how it works but what's the allocation like? Is there less than, equal to, or more than ways to spend that inbetween any given mission? If I don't do initialize something the first time can I do it later?

Feel this game looks better on the Vita for some reason but I am noticing the music keeps skipping. :(
The fact that it's a remastered PSP really means it should have been Vita native. But hey, whatever. Probably why it looks better. Probably feels "more at home".

zoutlaw

Banned
Got to Chapter 2.

So far? LOVING THIS. This is what I thought FFvs13 would play like. Quick and fluid, great set of characters, liking the art style, liking the story, music, etc.

Everything is on point right now.

I have to throw out this question because I haven't done FF13 since Japanese release, but wtf is a L'cie or I'cie or whatever it's called? I forget if it's the same as what they are in FF13, and even then I was confused on that whole L'cie Falcie, blah blah terrible naming crap.

Zukuu

Banned
Got to Chapter 2.

So far? LOVING THIS. This is what I thought FFvs13 would play like. Quick and fluid, great set of characters, liking the art style, liking the story, music, etc.

Everything is on point right now.

I have to throw out this question because I haven't done FF13 since Japanese release, but wtf is a L'cie or I'cie or whatever it's called? I forget if it's the same as what they are in FF13, and even then I was confused on that whole L'cie Falcie, blah blah terrible naming crap.
They aren't the same thing in both games afaik.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
L'cie are super powerful beings that tie into the crystal of each nation. I don't know how much would be a spoiler....all you know at the beginning is Cid is the opposing side's L'cie and you pretty much have no chance against him

Uggh, this is gonna take some getting used to. I can't figure out the way to draw MP from downed enemoes, or her leaders items.. it days press R1 and square, but nothing. .

Lock on to them first. Then do the drain.

zoutlaw

Banned
lol 3 shot kills. I'm done for the night lol

Is the first boss you are referring to the white tiger l'cie or ?

The Odin fight portion where you play as Odin is definitely hardish until you learn how to properly evade.

If it's shooting a ton of missiles then hit O to tromp around fast and avoid SOME of the damage. If it's doing the rain down green laser move just run around---if you were doing an attack as he starts it, quickly hit O once to avoid the initial green laser drop, then just run around with left stick till it stops. Proceed to just do hold square to win, until no health and it's down. Then hold a Zan 1 hit KO till the meter says 40% + in purple on screen. Let it rip, and it goes down.

The second half you want to play as Ace. Let the AI do it's thing, because whoever you control the AI boss will target that. So if you opt to do a close up like the samurai then you will get bopped quick.

The second half just hold down attack with Ace, when the green laser is being prompted to shoot down do a quick O to cancel your attack animation into a teleport dodge, and then just run around avoiding the green lasers before proceeding to holding square to shoot more cards at it.

Should make it an easy and quick win.

zennyzz

L'cie are super powerful beings that tie into the crystal of each nation. I don't know how much would be a spoiler....all you know at the beginning is Cid is the opposing side's L'cie and you pretty much have no chance against him

He's not actually.

Milites' L'cie are Qun'mi and Nimbus

Cornbread78

Is the first boss you are referring to the white tiger l'cie or ?

The Odin fight portion where you play as Odin is definitely hardish until you learn how to properly evade.

If it's shooting a ton of missiles then hit O to tromp around fast and avoid SOME of the damage. If it's doing the rain down green laser move just run around---if you were doing an attack as he starts it, quickly hit O once to avoid the initial green laser drop, then just run around with left stick till it stops. Proceed to just do hold square to win, until no health and it's down. Then hold a Zan 1 hit KO till the meter says 40% + in purple on screen. Let it rip, and it goes down.

The second half you want to play as Ace. Let the AI do it's thing, because whoever you control the AI boss will target that. So if you opt to do a close up like the samurai then you will get bopped quick.

The second half just hold down attack with Ace, when the green laser is being prompted to shoot down do a quick O to cancel your attack animation into a teleport dodge, and then just run around avoiding the green lasers before proceeding to holding square to shoot more cards at it.

Should make it an easy and quick win.

Uggh, if this is only the first boss, than damn... 4th try now, 2 laser hits are killing me and A.I isn't attacking..

Zukuu

Banned
Uggh, if this is only the first boss, than damn... 4th try now, 2 laser hits are killing me and A.I isn't attacking..
I don't think you'll finish the game. lol ^^

Try to dodge around to evade attacks and only attack to hit the break point. That tactic works against almost all bosses and is even required for most of them.

SheHateMe

After playing last night and tonight, I've jotted down some notes.

• This camera needs to slow down. A LOT. If it did, it would eliminate the major issue I have with the game; everything else is me nitpicking.
  • I played last night and got crushed by Dainsleif because the controls didn't feel right. Came back tonight and crushed her. I would suggest that you play around on that first part; get used to what you have to do and do it.
  • The music... it's so Final Fantasy. I love it, personally.
  • You can definitely tell it's a PSP game on the PS4... but it doesn't bother me. Hell, I still play Final Fantasy 7 on my PS3... this is fine. Doesn't bother me.
  • What DOES, however, is the motion blur. UGH. Cut that shit out, SE.
  • That's it, really. Just first impressions that don't mean nothing to nobody but me. *shrugs*

Between this, DmC:DE, DBX, and MKX I'm set for a long while... at least until DMC4:SE drops.

zennyzz

the odin fight shouldn't actually be difficult.

Just charge zanketsuken to 100% and oneshot.

Ace half is a matter of knowing when to attack. There's a lag between the laser beams, so just dodge four then hit with your controlled character.

Cornbread78

the odin fight shouldn't actually be difficult.

Just charge zanketsuken to 100% and oneshot.

Ace half is a matter of knowing when to attack. There's a lag between the laser beams, so just dodge four then hit with your controlled character.

I don't think you'll finish the game. lol ^^

Try to dodge around to evade attacks and only attack to hit the break point. That tactic works against almost all bosses and is even required for most of them.

I finally got it, but it was kind of a bitch for first mission when you are still adjusting to the controls. .

Korezo

Do new tasks swap every new day? Or are day 3,2,1 tasks always stay and are the same? because Im looking for one I don't think I did and can't find it.

zennyzz

Do new tasks swap every new day? Or are day 3,2,1 tasks always stay and are the same? because Im looking for one I don't think I did and can't find it.

Do you mean between missions or between days leading up to a mission?

First is no, second I'm pretty sure is there for the entire section.

That chick killed me the first time I fought her(but I didn't try too hard). Second time around, I just alternated between square sbd circle. Question, how does Ace's card abilities work? Each card has a different color, only the red deals extra damage? Are the other ones to heal you?

Top Bottom