• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

not even 5 seconds in and the motion blur already gave me buyer's remorse. when i saw that video where the enemy was just standing unfazed and taking all those hits like a beast i knew i wasn't going to get into this game.

Having a lot of fun playing as Sice, and Jack is totally OP. I don't like how Ace plays, I am enjoying the game much more with him just relegated to a ranged role.

Played a bit of this tonight. Music is great, I'm relatively interested in the story, and it's pretty fun. I really like the character designs. It definitely shows that this was a PSP game though, it's not a looker at all from what I've played.

I do have one big complaint- the English voice acting. I'm a huge fan of dubs. I've never even once opted for Japanese voices over their English counterparts in a game, but I'm seriously considering it here. I'm not sure why, but this dub is rubbing me the wrong way. I will give it a little longer to decide though, so it hope it improves.

Namikaze

So, I just finished chapter 1 and some of the cutscenes look pretty terrible. A lot of them seem to be pretty much direct from the PSP version (up scaled), while others have the higher quality models that were redone for this game. It feels A bit sloppy for SE to leave it like this but I still love the game so far. I don't mind seeing the original look again anyways, lol. The PSP version still looks pretty good after all these years.

nikos

I just have to say that I'm on Chapter 2 and the game is oozing with old school Final Fantasy feels. Hope it stays this way, because it feels amazing. An excellent rendition of the Final Fantasy theme playing as I run around talking to NPCs, especially the ambitious children, really gives me a nostalgic feeling that tells me I'm about to embark on an epic journey. Hope the game stays feeling this way.

Zukuu

Banned
I just have to say that I'm on Chapter 2 and the game is oozing with old school Final Fantasy feels. Hope it stays this way, because it feels amazing. An excellent rendition of the Final Fantasy theme playing as I run around talking to NPCs, especially the ambitious children, really gives me a nostalgic feeling that tells me I'm about to embark on an epic journey. Hope the game stays feeling this way.
I felt similar in the beginning, sadly the game doesn't stay that way. The overworld is pretty soulless, often 'closed off' and the cities utterly forgettable and generic. There is not much to do either. Bummer.

Dice//

Banned
So, I just finished chapter 1 and some of the cutscenes look pretty terrible. A lot of them seem to be pretty much direct from the PSP version (up scaled), while others have the higher quality models that were redone for this game. It feels A bit sloppy for SE to leave it like this but I still love the game so far. I don't mind seeing the original look again anyways, lol. The PSP version still looks pretty good after all these years.

FFX HD was similar. The main models looked good, but the rest of the NPCs look like they were dragged through mud and all share the exact same face.
61WRO50.jpg

But yeah...the game looks so damn weird. Graphically, it's a PSP game on one level, but with all the gloss and effects that a PS4 can handle.

Game is cool. I died thinking I would have a checkpoint only to find out that there are none and had to start from the beginning...couldn't give us a retry SE?

Been going through the missions and Harvesting Phantoma every time it lets me and I still get "E" ranks on that. Am I missing something?

zoutlaw

Banned
I finally got it, but it was kind of a bitch for first mission when you are still adjusting to the controls. .

In a sea of easy peesy games I am glad to see this game is willing to slap me down on medium difficulty.

That's probably why they added easy for those who don't want to be challenged. That's not meant in a mean way, but if you just want to experience the story and bust through, then I'd probably set it to easy mode and have fun.

Been going through the missions and Harvesting Phantoma every time it lets me and I still get "E" ranks on that. Am I missing something?
Enemies disappear after a while, do it before they disappear (try to get an enemy near a dead one, because the explosion damages them).

And also go into every room of the mission, fighting all the enemies.

komorebi

I was able to get past the motion blur and put a few hours into the game. Man its weird to be playing such a blatant PSP game on the PS4. It definitely shows, especially with the small areas and some gnarly textures that redefine "HD", but none of it detracts from how fun and unique the gameplay is. The "HD polish" makes the entire game look surreal though, in some instances downright ridiculous. I'm also digging the remastered music.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Finally bought the digital copy of the game via Singapore's PSN. Tried with my savegame for the EU copy and not surprising they're not compatible. Shall start all over again then!

Managed to get in two missions tonight, and so far I'm really enjoying it! The music's amazing, and I like the cast so far. I also really like the combat; it's a lot of fun, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I like Ace and his cards the best so far. You can definitely tell this is a PSP game though, and the camera moves so damn fast it was driving me crazy at the start; I wish there was a way to slow it down. I can't wait to keep playing, the story's got me intrigued, and the gameplay is really fun! :)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to get in two missions tonight, and so far I'm really enjoying it! The music's amazing, and I like the cast so far. I also really like the combat; it's a lot of fun, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I like Ace and his cards the best so far. You can definitely tell this is a PSP game though, and the camera moves so damn fast it was driving me crazy at the start; I wish there was a way to slow it down. I can't wait to keep playing, the story's got me intrigued, and the gameplay is really fun! :)

The camera is my main complaint as well, and the motion blur that comes with it. It's been a while since I played the PSP version but the camera does seems improved from back then.

Just finished the first mission. I frequently see items on the map but when i walk around and look there's none there. Are there hidden areas that are not obvious how to reach? Keep in mind this is only the first mission

Skilletor

Ugh. Motion blur + camera is giving me a severe headache. I played for an hour and have to stop. Going to bed in pain.

Hope it's just end of the day eye strain, otherwise this game might be unplayable for me. I can handle a bad camera, but not one that moves so quickly and jerks around so often on top of the added effect of motion blur.

Protips for optimal play:

1. Magic >>>>>>> Get them Ra then Ga Cancel skills asap so that you can combo and then cancel into higher level magic asap. Blizzaga Bom is amazing.
2. Kill-Sights are very important for most boss fights, so keep your best kill-sight (King, Cater, Trey, Ace) spammers in reserve or at least alive during these fights.
3. The game has directional inputs! Try out Seven's whip attacks by trying inputting them pressing backwards or forwards for vastly different attacks.
4. The Kill-Sight Missions that appear midway through battles, be very careful with them since these are where you will die the most from in this game. Be sure you can pass a Kill-Sight mission before you attempt it, but if you do fail... You can actually dodge the instant kill blast if you time it correctly. If you dodge the instant kill blast three times in a row, it's gone until you mess up another Kill-Sight Mission.

george_us

Finished the first mission. I hope the rest of the missions are a little longer. It feels like things grind to a halt just when I start getting in the groove of things, whether it be cutscenes or the mission ending. Still having a lot of fun so far though. Slowly creeping up and insta-killing fools with Jack's Katana is amazing.

Just finished the first mission. I frequently see items on the map but when i walk around and look there's none there. Are there hidden areas that are not obvious how to reach? Keep in mind this is only the first mission

You mean you see the little item icon on the map? If that's it then you can always find an item in that room (it'll be a shiny or a treasure chest). And the Knowing Tags (I think that's the name) don't appear on your map, so if you see a corpse, try going near it to see if there's a shiny.

I'm pretty sure there's no secret rooms, some of those items are just a little hidden, but they're there.

3. The game has directional inputs! Try out Eight's whip attacks by trying inputting them pressing backwards or forwards for vastly different attacks.

Seven's whip attacks =P

Can someone explain this support thing to me? All I know is I went into the first mission flanked by creepy dark silhouettes and couldn't change my party at all. My other two members just straight up disappeared right away.

Right I forgot Seven was the fisticuffs guy.

It's funny because at optimal play, he's better as a magic spammer than he is at melee due to his short casting animations. :^ )

Can someone explain this support thing to me? All I know is I went into the first mission flanked by creepy dark silhouettes and couldn't change my party at all. My other two members just straight up disappeared right away.

I don't know, but I stopped using it when I saw that my teammates weren't leveling up anymore. They seem really good, but I don't know what the point of them are.

Can i get a spoiler? Don't really want to miss it.

There is a sidemission in the game that has you traveling to a corner of the map into an airship to fetch something. Once you clear it, you get access to the ship and you can fly around the map on it.

There are places that are only reachable with the ship.

They are basically help if you're doing a high level mission (or in the PSP, it was a single-player version of the multiplayer).

It's pretty much useless unless you're doing high level missions with low-level characters.

edit: the guys that come in are at the same level as the recommended by the mission, but you can't play as them, so that's why it's only a "help".

I don't know, but I stopped using it when I saw that my teammates weren't leveling up anymore. They seem really good, but I don't know what the point of them are.

If you go talk to the guy in the command center he says you get rewards for getting lots of SPP, which you get by using those support people

They are basically help if you're doing a high level mission (or in the PSP, it was a single-player version of the multiplayer).

It's pretty much useless unless you're doing high level missions with low-level characters.

...Ohhh. And you can replay any missions through the main menu to get your crew up to speed, right?

Superflat

The camera is REALLY somethin else, holy cow. Can't believe there is no sensitivity option. In addition to that they don't really make many of the simple aesthetic changes that I feel a console-ized port should get, like making prompt icons smaller, completely revamping textures and such; it makes the visual side of the game a very lackluster even if I love the art design.

I feel like this is a less than stellar port in a lot of ways, and that's a bummer. The camera is really going to take some getting used to. On the other hand, I'm stoked that this actually released and I'm liking the atmosphere so far.

There is a sidemission in the game that has you traveling to a corner of the map into an airship to fetch something. Once you clear it, you get access to the ship and you can fly around the map on it.

There are places that are only reachable with the ship.

Right, but if it's missable then I'd like to not miss it. But it's hard to do that without knowing the details of the mission, when it shows up, how to trigger it, at what point it becomes missed.

Right, but if it's missable then I'd like to not miss it. But it's hard to do that without knowing the details of the mission, when it shows up, how to trigger it, at what point it becomes missed.

It's a sidequest in Ch 7, so you won't be getting it anytime soon.

Here's the details though:

First you need to finish Chapter 7 1st story mission.
And then go to the front gate with red doors or something and talk to that armored guy..
Accept the second quest which was for lvl 37.
Then go to the world map and follow the yellow arrow.
once you're there, start the mission, it should be quick and easy.
After you finish the mission go to that town again to accept a quest. (the quest was to slay a giant guardian somewhere,)
Then go to the most southwest part of the map (the tiny land with the cave in the end)
Get inside the cave, save in the crystals

The camera is REALLY somethin else, holy cow. Can't believe there is no sensitivity option. In addition to that they don't really make many of the simple aesthetic changes that I feel a console-ized port should get, like making prompt icons smaller, completely revamping textures and such; it makes the visual side of the game a very lackluster even if I love the art design.

I feel like this is a less than stellar port in a lot of ways, and that's a bummer. The camera is really going to take some getting used to. On the other hand, I'm stoked that this actually released and I'm liking the atmosphere so far.

I have to keep reminding myself this is a ps4 game. Been remote playing it and it feels great and looks damn good.

I just did a boss fight in Chapter 2. I guess I was slightly underleveled but I honestly couldn't tell. 10 vs 19 but with the mechanics of the fight it may have been deliberate.

The point is I was forced to roll a lot. Now I'm nauseous. WTF game. How can I enjoy teenage panties if I'm vomiting?

Audette

Oh gosh.. I hate this but lump me in with the people with a little buyers remorse... I am truly wishing I could turn off the motion blur/slow down the camera/adjust the sensitivity of the sticks.

I am having such a hard time adapting. It's just not helpful to the gameplay and exploration having a camera so unwieldy. That and the motion blur makes it harder to make out details like bullets and spell projectiles and pretty much anything at all whenever you move the camera. :(

Must force self to like game, waited so long, I should be happy to have it but... I would have had no problems playing this on psp or vita untouched. The touch ups on ps4 aren't doing it for me like this... Anybody think they may address this in a patch at all?

Flarin

I don't mean to pile on what everyone else has been saying, but holy shit with this camera. It's practically unplayable. The way I like to play games is to use the right stick to move the camera a lot. The more I do that the more of a headache I get. Normally I'm willing to put up with a lot of bullshit in video games, but I don't know if I can physically keep playing the game.

Will certainly try and get my money's worth, but goddamn they need to get a patch out for this.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Does anyone know if there's "pre-download" on the EU PStore for digital pre-orders? And if yes, when it should start letting me download the thing? thx

Wow. I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't feel anything from the camera swinging around. And I even get terribly car sick. I really feel for you guys :(

I saw the opening cutscene of this game a long time ago but I had forgotten how violent and bloody this game actually is. In terms of tone and subject matter it's more different than any other Final Fantasy title ever made.

Since FFXV is a mainline title it can't ever be as brutal as this game is, but maybe with Tabata now at the helm of FFXV we might see more elements of Type-0's depiction of war and invasion in that game.

Top Bottom