• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

RDreamer

The game's strangely addicting in a way. By now I'm pretty used to the motion blur, though I still wish they'd change it. I'm getting into the story, and I like all the little pieces of story they've sprinkled through a bunch of the characters throughout the world.

I really wish towns weren't completely bullshit. l

I'm on Chapter 3 now. The mission at the end of Chapter 2 was kind of crazy, but fun. I ended up on my last 2 characters of my entire group. Now on Chapter 3 I've been running around doing requests and so most of my party is all level 15-20. Hopefully that means they'll be a bit better for the next mission.

Is anyone else's game randomly getting really really really hazy/white on the world map sometimes? Part of me thinks it's some sort of day/weather effect, but man it's so ridiculously bad looking I don't know.

zennyzz

The game's strangely addicting in a way. By now I'm pretty used to the motion blur, though I still wish they'd change it. I'm getting into the story, and I like all the little pieces of story they've sprinkled through a bunch of the characters throughout the world.

I really wish towns weren't completely bullshit. l

I'm on Chapter 3 now. The mission at the end of Chapter 2 was kind of crazy, but fun. I ended up on my last 2 characters of my entire group. Now on Chapter 3 I've been running around doing requests and so most of my party is all level 15-20. Hopefully that means they'll be a bit better for the next mission.

Is anyone else's game randomly getting really really really hazy/white on the world map sometimes? Part of me thinks it's some sort of day/weather effect, but man it's so ridiculously bad looking I don't know.

It's a weather cycle. Sometimes there's mist, other times rain other times sunny etc.

Just played the intro sequence.

Feels very overwhelming so far, will there be a training area where I can properly wrap my head around these controls and this battle system?

TheGrue

Played through the first chapter. Should I have a clue what I am doing? I just ran around and dodged and held down square. If enemies were next to me, I hit the ice bomb thing. I couldn't figure out what the card shuffle thing did. Sometimes targets would go yellow or red and I get this means more damage or instakill, but I have no idea what I'm doing that causes the red or yellow target. Also, it seemed like sometimes I would get a red target and it wouldn't be an instakill. So confused.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played through the first chapter. Should I have a clue what I am doing? I just ran around and dodged and held down square. If enemies were next to me, I hit the ice bomb thing. I couldn't figure out what the card shuffle thing did. Sometimes targets would go yellow or red and I get this means more damage or instakill, but I have no idea what I'm doing that causes the red or yellow target. Also, it seemed like sometimes I would get a red target and it wouldn't be an instakill. So confused.

Card shuffle lets you randomly pull out a special ability to use on next attack. It's random, so it might be a cure spell, or a critical attack, or an attack that puts the enemy in a stop state. Just look at lower right buttons to see what the ability does when you cut cards. Can cycle four times.

Yellow and red opportunity strikes occur usually when an enemy is about to attack. Think of them as counters. You have little to no control when they happen, just know that if your attack happens to land when they flash on screen, you get either critical damage or an instant ko on the enemy.

anddo0

First boss sucks the fun right out of the game, and what a horrible checkpoint.
Please tell me it doesn't get worse.

Cloudy

Banned
I found that the camera problems are mostly avoided by not using the right stick. Play it like a PSP game. The PSP doesn't have a right stick, so I couldn't move my character and the camera at the same time.

I just use R3 to center the camera, that's it.

It's dumb, but it works.

How was the camera panned in the PSP version

Also does anyone have a good answer for why the motion blur is not an issue on vita?

TheGrue

Card shuffle lets you randomly pull out a special ability to use on next attack. It's random, so it might be a cure spell, or a critical attack, or an attack that puts the enemy in a stop state. Just look at lower right buttons to see what the ability does when you cut cards. Can cycle four times.

Yellow and red opportunity strikes occur usually when an enemy is about to attack. Think of them as counters. You have little to no control when they happen, just know that if your attack happens to land when they flash on screen, you get either critical damage or an instant ko on the enemy.

Thanks. Do you get those attacks if you're just holding down the attack button as Ace? I think I seem to remember I did when some enemies were coming at me and trying to melee. I would just instakill them. Trying to figure out if I should be hitting Square with some thought or just going full bore.

khaaan

Now that you mention it(I'm still on chapter 2, first time playing)...
The cadets of Class Zero may be L'cie without knowing it? Or maybe fabricated L'cie?The doctor/their "mother" may be acting as their Fal'cie. Maybe that's why they can use magic when there's a crystal jammer in effect.

That's just total speculation, of course.

I caved and ended up reading the non-spoiler section of the Type-0 page in the FF Wiki but it didn't really clarify anything. I'm interested in seeing what happens and how much they expand on it but until proven otherwise I still think they are what we think they are =P

Thanks. Do you get those attacks if you're just holding down the attack button as Ace? I think I seem to remember I did when some enemies were coming at me and trying to melee. I would just instakill them. Trying to figure out if I should be hitting Square with some thought or just going full bore.

As far as I could tell, holding down the attack button or playing as Ace didn't do anything as far as triggering Kill Sight or Break Sight. It feels more reactionary to me, if I wail on an enemy and they have no real chance to fight back I don't think I've ever seen the marker show up. Alternatively when I stand near an enemy and wait for it, it usually triggers. I couldn't figure out a pattern with the spider-mech things though so maybe I'm completely wrong.

First boss sucks the fun right out of the game, and what a horrible checkpoint.
Please tell me it doesn't get worse.

Which one? The one right before the report card? I was a little confused at first but if you
dodge the lightning you should trigger break sight. Then you can get in a hit which basically takes out an entire bar of health
. Similar strategy worked in the segment right before it as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I'm still only a couple hours in and just sussing it all out myself, but it seems it's just based on timing and a bit of luck. The attack, I believe, has to actually land on the enemy when the reticle is either yellow or red. The tutorial sort of stated that it most often occurs just before an enemy is about to attack(so think bonus 'counter' damage in a fighting game). Since Ace just rapdily shoots cards at enemies, if one of those cards hits the enemies when that colored state is active that card will do either critical damage(yellow), or instantly kill(red).

Not sure yet if other factors come into play to goad those colored states to show up, as I can only speak to the intro mission right now. At this point its the sort of thing you should just take as a lucky bonus though, not something you can actively and healthily predict as part of any tactical play. Maybe with time this changes as the systems gel more and our grasp of the gameplay is more in-tune.

As for Ace, at the start of the game he has his normal attack(shoot cards) and his cut card ability(push to draw a random ability, hold to keep cycling them quickly up to four). Your normal attack will override to that drawn special ability when you cut deck. Again, just look at the face-button layout to see what will occur. It's a real weird and awkward mechanic to shove at new players just learning the basics of play, but it does give Ace opportunities to heal his HP and MP from the getgo...randomly.

jimmypython

Now that you mention it(I'm still on chapter 2, first time playing)...
The cadets of Class Zero may be L'cie without knowing it? Or maybe fabricated L'cie?The doctor/their "mother" may be acting as their Fal'cie. Maybe that's why they can use magic when there's a crystal jammer in effect.

That's just total speculation, of course.

you are partially right ;)
They were not l'Cies, but the Dr. was indeed a Fal'cie - tho the actual term was never mentioned in the game

oh the reason why
the Dr. was able to let class zero bypass the crystal jammer
:

the four crystals are lower level fal'Cies than the Dr. In fact, Dr. was the one who created the four crystals in the first place

spoiler for the later plot:
it was a huge plot point of them or some of them becoming a l'Cie later on

Listonosh

Just played the intro sequence.

Feels very overwhelming so far, will there be a training area where I can properly wrap my head around these controls and this battle system?

When you're looking at Akademeia, run left of the fountain (once it unlocks) and you'll find a training area which spawns never ending soldiers. It's the perfect place to really test drive all of Class Zero and see who works best for you

Also does anyone have a good answer for why the motion blur is not an issue on vita?

D-pad moved the camera on PSP, which is probably why the camera on the HD version doesn't take advantage of analog. It should have been changed, but it seems like the camera controls were just transplanted from the D-pad to the right stick.

Cadet felt really easy once I got the hang of the controls. I'm not going to bump it up because I'm not that kind of guy, but if you want some challenge once you understand the nuances of the gameplay, I'm not sure cadet will provide that.

After the first real mission, I bumped it up to intermediate, did some test runs, and still didn't notice that big of a difference.

jimmypython

PSP didn't have this crazy motion blur.....but yeah it's interesting that Vita isn't affected by it....I'm going to try it tonight on my Vita...

Cloudy

Banned
D-pad moved the camera on PSP, which is probably why the camera on the HD version doesn't take advantage of analog. It should have been changed, but it seems like the camera controls were just transplanted from the D-pad to the right stick.

Interesting so it might be the increased sensitivity of an analog stick causing the problems. They should patch in a sensitivity toggle

The difficulty really ramps up in Chapter 2 like that? Finished Chapter 1 on Officer with almost no problem, but that seemed more tutorialish
Well, if it stomps on you, it does 9k+ damage. So 1hit KO. :(

I should clarify you're not supposed to kill the golem(???? HP), but attack something else. The thing is, I'm so focused on the other thing, I don't always notice the golem jumping. Suddenly, it lands on me and my leader dies. >_<

So, after a long day at the gf's house, watching her play FFXIII for the first time, I got home and fired up Type-0 for the first time.

I read reviews and comments here, bashing the camera and graphics.
I'd dislike the graphics too if I was expecting this to be a next-gen title, I guess. However, most FF games I play don't look that great anyway due to age, so if I playing this gem from 5 years ago, I don't mind if it looks that old. I'm honestly just glad it's in English now.

The camera is a bit annoying, however. If they could release a patch allowing sensitivity adjustment, it'd be greatly appreciated.
I like it, and its lockon system, far more than I like FFXV's.

Liking the story so far, l'Cie and all. It's cool to see new (as of FF13) mythos cross over into other FF games, the same way old mythos does (like the Tonberrys that I spot everywhere).

The battle is a lot of fun, though it was too easy at first on Cadet. Feels like Crisis Core with Friends.

Only thing that I don't understand, so far, is how the SP system work.
I tried the first mission out, and was asked if I wanted to have extra support units available to me. And then I thought to myself, "Sounds great! The more the better!", just like extra lives in the games of old.
Not sure how it happened, but slowly my party members started becoming silhouetted randos from the academy, which earns me some odd sort of academy food stamps for purchasing potions and comic books, but probably doesn't give me party members the everso desired EXP that they want and need.
Worst part was, I couldn't send the support dudes back home to the academy.
Does anyway know how this system works?

Overall, enjoying the game
and the demo

And I love the forced Moogle acronym.

Ifew questions:

1) s there any way to see what an ability does? I can do it at the Armaments menu by going to a character's screen and moving the mouse over it, but this isn't very helpful if I'm in the middle of a mission with no menu around. I don't see a way to view this from the screen you get to by pushing the options button on the controller.

2) when i go to the equip screen and choose to equip actions, why are most of the actions I've learned not possible to equip? For example, most of my guys have unlocked 5+ abilities through promotion, but when i go to the equip menu and select the slot I want to put one of these things in, none of the stuff I've learned seems to show up.

3) are any of the SOs worth doing? So far they seem to just give short buffs.

I really don't see why they didn't do it in addition with cross play

Because they're launching a very expensive and long-in-development game next year on PS4/XBO and they want people to own those systems and buy games there.

Has SE made a single Vita title? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Seems like maybe they just wrote it off.

edit: of course, right after that I remember they did release the FFX/X-2 port on Vita.

Ifew questions:

1) s there any way to see what an ability does? I can do it at the Armaments menu by going to a character's screen and moving the mouse over it, but this isn't very helpful if I'm in the middle of a mission with no menu around. I don't see a way to view this from the screen you get to by pushing the options button on the controller.

2) when i go to the equip screen and choose to equip actions, why are most of the actions I've learned not possible to equip? For example, most of my guys have unlocked 5+ abilities through promotion, but when i go to the equip menu and select the slot I want to put one of these things in, none of the stuff I've learned seems to show up.

1) Only from the Armaments/Abilities/Upgrades screen at a save point, unfortunately.

2) Not sure about this one. Sounds strange though.

3) Yes. There are many unique SOs that give equipment, like new weapons. Keep doing SOs, especially ones that show up during mini bosses and bosses.

zennyzz

Ifew questions:

1. Unfortunately, you've got to physically try them out. There's no preview for how the skill will work. Though there's a training area where you can test the moves out.

2. Most skills are actually modifiers that change aspects of other skills. Like added dode frames, attack cancels, extra attack animations magic cancels, etc. There's actually only a few skills that you can equip. They're equipable through the armanent section rather than promotion.

3. I can't remember honestly, though i think if you do enough you get particular rewards.

Because they're launching a very expensive and long-in-development game next year on PS4/XBO and they want people to own those systems and buy games there.

Has SE made a single Vita title? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Seems like maybe they just wrote it off.

FFX/X-2 HD, but that's all I think.

Top Bottom