• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Hugstable

Banned
I don't mean to pile on what everyone else has been saying, but holy shit with this camera. It's practically unplayable. The way I like to play games is to use the right stick to move the camera a lot. The more I do that the more of a headache I get. Normally I'm willing to put up with a lot of bullshit in video games, but I don't know if I can physically keep playing the game.

Will certainly try and get my money's worth, but goddamn they need to get a patch out for this.

Yeah it's been really bad for me too :(.

Beth Cyra

3 hours in.

I am happy that games have moved on from taking you back to the load screen for the most part and I have to wonder if I will even find ish it because of this kinda thing. Really strange how much this bothered me.

Love Queen and Seven as PC's don't care for Ace's setup.

Odin is Amazing, best design he's had since VIII.

I found the start to be cheesy and awful.

Overall not bad, I personally am enjoying it more then XIII2/3, and it will be interesting to see if the little things push me away or if I can get enough from things like Queen/Seven and some cool moments like Odin and the like keep me in to the end.

Lastly the camera, who ever did that I hope gets kicked in the shin so hard they can't walk for a few hours and they are now off my Xmas card list.

Ceravic

4 hours in and I'm pretty hooked. The camera is wonky and some of the voice acting isn't the greatest (especially that they brought back the fucking mog voice actor from FFXIII-2), but even with that I'm having a blast with it. A good Final Fantasy game and an amazing demo in one week. It's like Christmas.

artsi

Personally I don't have any problems with the camera.

But maybe it just feels so much better just to have a second analog stick because I've been playing Monster Hunter 4 on the original 3DS.

Ceravic

IN THAT SAME MONOTONE EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Personally I don't have any problems with the camera.

But maybe it just feels so much better just to have a second analog stick because I've been playing Monster Hunter 4 on the original 3DS.

My camera problems aren't major really. It just gets a little janky sometimes, but nothing game breaking or more than mildly inconvenient from time to time.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Then, uh, that's pretty similar.

Not quite.
it also saps away your very emotion, so you have no real will of your own, and instead of just being slightly above human level with the ability to call summons ala FF13's lcie, the lcie's power is basically city destroying DBZ level. That's why there are only a few of them instead of basically everywhere like 13

Victrix

*beard*
The between mission sections feel like an incredibly shitty version of Persona 4 or something.

There's like three pages of interesting world building dialogue per mission scattered amongst 30 useless fluff npc students scattered around the school.

Think I'm going to just start skipping the 'exploration' between missions and focus on the main plot/combat, because this is pretty awful.

Cloudy

Banned
The first boss was pretty easy to beat playing on vita. Just use Ace and run around. With the vita, you can actually do it without hurting your eyes if you pan the camera lol. How is there no motion blur on the smaller screen?

The camera isn't great, but I'm honestly amazed at the furor over it, especially people saying it's making them physically ill. That just seems crazy to me.

Falk

that puzzling face
The camera isn't great, but I'm honestly amazed at the furor over it, especially people saying it's making them physically ill. That just seems crazy to me.

Different people have different amounts of tolerance to stuff. It's not like people ask to be born with motion sickness etc.

Cloudy

Banned
Different people have different amounts of tolerance to stuff. It's not like people ask to be born with motion sickness etc.

That's the amazing thing. I never get motion sickness and don't think I'm getting it with this. It just hurts my eyes cos the camera is way too sensitive. I feel this game would be unplayable on ps4 (weirdly, it's fine on vita) to anyone who suffers motion sickness without a patch!

Ascenion

Ok so I'm going to echo sentiments found here already but love the game, hate the camera. I think I'm kinda like 5-6 hours in, but I get the feeling the more I play this game is gonna get hella dark and likely make me cry.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that the camera doesn't bother me too much. Seems I'm in the minority. I mean I definitely notice it, and it could be better. But as far as feeling sick or making the game unplayable, no, not for me. I have other complaints though.

I'm a sucker for Final Fantasy music and I was all ready to love the music in this game. And I'm only just getting started so I can't say too much yet. I was really excited to hear the classic Prelude music as I was running around town...and after about 15 minutes of that, I was getting stressed out. Finally I realized it was because of that same music, looping over and over. And the music volume is defaulted too loud. Finally I had to turn it down a bit before I went nuts.

Whats the general reception of the title? Are people enjoying the game?

My general reception is not great. But I just have to assume, with all the mostly positive reviews, that it gets better at some point. And I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and try to get into it. I did spend $60 on it, after all. The people in this thread who seem to be liking it are the ones who are beyond the first couple hours. Hopefully I'll get to that point tonight and my feelings will change. I really want to like this game, if it would just let me.

Why has no one complained about the giant black border around the screen?
At least I haven't seen anyone complain about it yet.

Yeah this camera is unplayable. I am gonna go ahead and trade in this game towards bloodborne. I never have issue with camera in games but this is crazy.

NateDog

I guess I should consider myself lucky that the camera doesn't bother me too much. Seems I'm in the minority. I mean I definitely notice it, and it could be better. But as far as feeling sick or making the game unplayable, no, not for me. I have other complaints though.

I'm a sucker for Final Fantasy music and I was all ready to love the music in this game. And I'm only just getting started so I can't say too much yet. I was really excited to hear the classic Prelude music as I was running around town...and after about 15 minutes of that, I was getting stressed out. Finally I realized it was because of that same music, looping over and over. And the music volume is defaulted too loud. Finally I had to turn it down a bit before I went nuts.

I thought the same for a long time, but you'll hear better music as the game goes on, don't worry. I've ended up loving the OST. It's nothing like VI or anything of course, but it's still solid and I really like it.

However I do have to agree with Soriku in that I don't like some of the HD remaster changes. I hope most tracks are the same. I can't wait for the OST and to see what Blu-ray disc music sounds like to see if there's a big difference.

khaaan

Got in about an hour of playing last night.

I agree that the camera is a pain but I think its been tolerable, I'll probably have to spend more time with it to figure out exactly how much it bothers me though. I know games have to get through a lot of stuff in the beginning but I'm pretty sure I spent more time watching cutescenes than actually playing which was a little frustrating. What difficulty are people playing on? I picked the normal difficulty level and as far as challenge goes I think its been fine but I'm not getting very good scores at the end. It's partially because I'm still trying to get the hang of things, getting better at dodging, and spend some time trying to get the feel of the controls but I'm wondering how much benefit there is to switching down to cadet.

I also had a lore based question. Mild spoilers if you aren't familiar with the world of XIII:

From my understanding of XIII (stopped XIII a little after the point where it "opens up", never played XIII-2 or LR) there were basically three "entities", the Fal'Cie, L'Cie, and Cieth. If the crew you're playing as in Type-0 can use magic then they must be L'Cie, right? And if that's the case they don't seem awfully worried about turning unless what they're doing is part of their focus...is any of this ever explained? A lot of the opening movie went over my head because it felt like they threw a lot of terms at you and I was also in an environment with a lot of background noise so I'm not sure if I missed any explanations.Maybe I'll just skim the wiki.

Thoraxes

From my understanding of XIII (never played XIII-2 or LR) there were basically three "entities", the Fal'Cie, L'Cie, and Cieth. If the crew you're playing as can use magic then they must be L'Cie, right? And if that's the case they don't seem awfully worried about turning unless what they're doing is part of their focus...is any of this ever explained? A lot of the opening movie went over my head because it felt like they threw a lot of terms at you and I was also in an environment with a lot of background noise so I'm not sure if I missed any explanations.Maybe I'll just skim the wiki.

The concepts are the same, the execution is not. The FNC mythos was basically a ground set of rules/theories/concepts to build the worlds of XIII, Type-0, VersusFFXIII/FFXV, and Agito (I think i'm missing another one) around.

Most of your questions get answered (iirc, it's been a while) and it's related to the plot. They actually hint about the magic stuff in that opening mission+the stuff before your first free time, specifically the conversation you have in the hallway before entering he classroom.

Listonosh

Really looking forward to some lore/story videos done on this game. I honestly didn't understand a lot of it. I don't even think the word Agito is explained anywhere in the game. All I keep hearing is that someone hopes to be Agito, but it's not explained what it is.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shopto has dispatched my Collector's Edition, should be here tomorrow.
Although they did just dispatch my Resident Evil Rev 2 and that came today lol.

I also had a lore based question. Mild spoilers if you aren't familiar with the world of XIII:

From my understanding of XIII (stopped XIII a little after the point where it "opens up", never played XIII-2 or LR) there were basically three "entities", the Fal'Cie, L'Cie, and Cieth. If the crew you're playing as in Type-0 can use magic then they must be L'Cie, right? And if that's the case they don't seem awfully worried about turning unless what they're doing is part of their focus...is any of this ever explained? A lot of the opening movie went over my head because it felt like they threw a lot of terms at you and I was also in an environment with a lot of background noise so I'm not sure if I missed any explanations.Maybe I'll just skim the wiki.
Now that you mention it(I'm still on chapter 2, first time playing)...
The cadets of Class Zero may be L'cie without knowing it? Or maybe fabricated L'cie?The doctor/their "mother" may be acting as their Fal'cie. Maybe that's why they can use magic when there's a crystal jammer in effect.

That's just total speculation, of course.

I went Cadet without regrets. I just want to play through the story on this one. If I get a good feel for it I will play through a second time on a higher difficulty level.

neoemonk

Got through the first chapter and then played the FF XV demo. The camera is a little touchy but it's not bothering me like everyone else. The game does look great on Remote Play though.

kronblad

Neo Member
I am quite sad that I have been forced to return the game to amazon for a full refund. The motion blur just caused me horrible pain from just 20 minutes of playtime. The game looks extremely awesome and I am very envious of people that can sit through the blur. I honestly wish I could, I really wanna enjoy it.

jimmypython

Yep it was another of my complaints about the original game. Don't know if it's the case in the HD version since I am only 3 hours in, but there were only
town tracks alternating the entire game in the psp version. Apparently they spent so much $$ on hiring famous Japanese voice actors instead of making more soundtracks and building more complex cities lol....

artsi

What are the chances they patch the camera ?

I'd say the chances are between 0 - 100%.

Who knows really.. At least I'm sure they must've got the feedback via some channel by now.
So I hope they'll do the right thing and give some more camera options.

I found that the camera problems are mostly avoided by not using the right stick. Play it like a PSP game. The PSP doesn't have a right stick, so I couldn't move my character and the camera at the same time.

I just use R3 to center the camera, that's it.

It's dumb, but it works.

NateDog

Yep it was another of my complaints about the original game. Don't know if it's the case in the HD version since I am only 3 hours in, but there were only
town tracks alternating the entire game in the psp version. Apparently they spent so much $$ on hiring famous Japanese voice actors instead of making more soundtracks and building more complex cities lol....

Well in fairness the voice acting cast did a wonderful job in the Japanese version. The English version, however, sounds like quite a pain to listen to at times.

zennyzz

The original was already pushing the PSP to its absolute limit. More complex cities would have been an impossibility on the hardware. Voice acting wasn't going to be some massive issue,, there's just a bottle neck some games have.

Geg

lol I got my ass kicked by Qun'mi's magitek thing at the end of Chapter 1 my first try. The second time I was able to dodge properly and beat it without being hit once. Learning!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Adding to the camera dogpile. Made me nauseous not 10 seconds in, and I'm still adapting, but I absolutely loathe it. Surprised at how low the framerate is as well. Coming off of DmC isn't helping with its lush framerate and smooth lock-on and camera pan. Just a bit embarrassing this HD port of a PSP game is at such a low bar.

Lots to like otherwise, but the act of playing is pushing me away early on.

jorgeton

Huh, I don't mind the camera at all. I actually like how frantic it makes everything look. Makes the game feel faster.

At chapter 3 at the moment, and really loving it. Playing on Officer and the challenge is nice. Battle system is great and addictive.

I think my biggest complaint is definitely the graphical inconsistencies. Class Zero looks like they're from a completely different game, while NPC's look from the PS2-era. I think I have more problems with the way Class Zero looks. Wish they went with a more, I guess cell-shaded look for them, as opposed to these realistic looking models. It just looks off. It only becomes an issue during the conversation scenes though. In battle they move great. And the few pre-rendered cut scenes I've gotten have all been excellent.

Is the english dub supposed to be so (unintentionally) funny? In the aforementioned convo scenes, it feels like I'm watching Thunderbirds or Team America World Police, coupled with the self serious dialogue and voice acting, I was laughing when I probably shouldn't have. I switched the language back to JP and it's better. But the English dub does have that awesome History Channel-esque narrator.

Fuck I should have started with cadet. Uuughhh

Cadet felt really easy once I got the hang of the controls. I'm not going to bump it up because I'm not that kind of guy, but if you want some challenge once you understand the nuances of the gameplay, I'm not sure cadet will provide that.

Top Bottom