• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Kyolux

Played a bit last night after spending about 3 hours on FFXV demo.

Love what I saw, didn't love the camera, but no sickness or anything here, and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Wish I had time to play more before my dog decided it was playtime.

I bought the PS4 CE. I played about an 1/2 hour of it so far. Not impressed so far. I'll give it another shot tonight but if it doesn't get better, it's getting sold.
Kind of where I'm at, but do need to give it some more time. I think I expected something different and it's my fault for not looking into it more. However, love the FFXV demo a lot.

Fee

Does the game get more difficult by any significant margin at some point? I just finished chapter 3 and it's been brain dead easy so far.

I should probably note I'm playing on the middle difficulty.

1. Unfortunately, you've got to physically try them out. There's no preview for how the skill will work. Though there's a training area where you can test the moves out.
Even a text description would be nice. All I know is that I didn't know what I was doing, so I chose a random character to be my active leader. It turned out to be the girl who played a flute. So I'm stuck in this mission with no idea how to attack anything. I went to the menu, and couldn't even find a way to highlight her abilities to get a description of what they do. I remember there was Concerto and Flute or something. Later, once you get to the save point, you can go into Armaments I think and get a description that way. But it's really lame that's the only way.

2. Most skills are actually modifiers that change aspects of other skills. Like added dode frames, attack cancels, extra attack animations magic cancels, etc. There's actually only a few skills that you can equip. They're equipable through the armanent section rather than promotion.
And there's no visual cues or other indicators to say which are passive and which are active? The icon doesn't seem to give it away, because I've got like 5 abilities with the same icon, and only two of them show up on my equip list. Maybe it's that only the abilities that have "sub abilities" are actives?

SOLDIER

It seems largely unanimous that everyone hates the motion blur.

Do you think they'll patch it out in a timely manner? It seems like something they could easily patch within a week, given Tabata's whole feedback-heavy emphasis.

It really is the one glaring flaw and the game would improve tremendously with the adjustment. Part of me is wondering if I should hold off playing too much until they patch it.

jimmypython

Do you think they'll patch it out in a timely manner? It seems like something they could easily patch within a week, given Tabata's whole feedback-heavy emphasis.

It really is the one glaring flaw and the game would improve tremendously with the adjustment. Part of me is wondering if I should hold off playing too much until they patch it.

yeah the recent memory about patching a game post launch from a Japanese company would be Capcom on RE6.

I'd want that in a patch, and a sensitivity option. A slower/less sensitive camera might ease the other problem and make it less frustrating.

I used to like and play Final Fantasy when I was younger, but I don't think I ever completed one. I got to the end of FFVII, but wasn't leveled up enough and didn't want to have to spend hours grinding as a teen.

I haven't played a J-RPG in a while, and have kind of grown out of them. They're too time consuming, and have become a bit too Japanese for me. (No offense meant. That doesn't mean I discredit them).

I can get this from the library soon, and am mildly interested. Is it a game that I could jump back in with and play accessibly? Or is it really in-depth and overly detailed? Very challenging?

DNAbro

I used to like and play Final Fantasy when I was younger, but I don't think I ever completed one. I got to the end of FFVII, but wasn't leveled up enough and didn't want to have to spend hours grinding as a teen.

I haven't played a J-RPG in a while, and have kind of grown out of them. They're too time consuming, and have become a bit too Japanese for me. (No offense meant. That doesn't mean I discredit them).

I can get this from the library soon, and am mildly interested. Is it a game that I could jump back in with and play accessibly? Or is it really in-depth and overly detailed? Very challenging?

there are difficulty levels to make it easier, but some of the mechanics seem a bit odd.

I think there's 0 chance they'll patch this. Sensitivity maybe, but not the blur. I'd love to be proven wrong, because I also hate the blur, I just don't see it happening.

Shahed

Okay just started this game earlier today. A few things.

The game says Cadet is the one to choose for first timer's, but I thought that wasn't there in the PSP release? Either way i chose Officer and it seems fine so far.

Camera is god awful. The way it jerks around with the insane amount of Motion Blur on top is horrid. I dread to think what the PSP version was like if this is better. Main thing i don't like is how Right Analog switches character. R2/L2 do the same so i'd rather have it there instead of changing lock on when trying to adjust camera. It's far too close behind you as well. Kingdom hearts syndrome and makes me unsure about FFXV.

Having said that the combat seems interesting enough and fun to play. Only used the initial 3 and then Sice, Machina and Cater for the first Mission on the World Map, b ut plan to go Arena next and try everyone. Speaking if that Mission, I enabled SPP or something and it kept replacing my team at random, sometimes giving me no ranged or healers which was awkward. if that happens, do the replaced miss out on EXP? And is it worth to have enabled because it was quite annoying.

Is time an issue? I'm talking to every "!" I see so far but I'm wondering if I'll have to prioritise soon.

The motion blur... just why? Even if i can get use to the camera the MB gives me a headache.

Really unfortunate since the little bit i've played has been decent.

And the hud if HUGE! Why not let me adjust it?

Newboi

I ordered the Day 1 edition of this game and it got "Lost in Transit". This stinks, hopefully I'll get my replacement shipment tomorrow.

Anyway, is the grinding and difficulty in this game excessive on the default difficulty setting?

Does this title have "Ultimate Weapons" and other various broken items that exist in most other final fantasy titles?

The one thing I like in an RPG is the ability to become excessively powerful if the player puts into the time to do side activities. I enjoy being rewarded for the time investment I put in to an RPG. I tend to dislike RPGs that require excessive grinding just to be competent against later enemies. Putting in an extra 10 hours to only be able to barely manage an a non-optional enemy is pretty unrewarding.

UberTag

I bought the PS4 CE. I played about an 1/2 hour of it so far. Not impressed so far. I'll give it another shot tonight but if it doesn't get better, it's getting sold.
People buy collector's editions for games they're not sure they'll like and will quit on after 30 minutes? I can't even imagine doing that.

Does the combat get better? Ive played 1 hour so far and just press X all the time dong the card attack.
I found playing Ace at range tedious at the onset of the game.
Switch to one of the other characters and see if that meshes well for you.
They all play differently and you might find a few that you enjoy better than others.

I ordered the Day 1 edition of this game and it got "Lost in Transit". This stinks, hopefully I'll get my replacement shipment tomorrow.

Anyway, is the grinding and difficulty in this game excessive on the default difficulty setting?

Does this title have "Ultimate Weapons" and other various broken items that exist in most other final fantasy titles?

The one thing I like in an RPG is the ability to become excessively powerful if the player puts into the time to do side activities. I enjoy being rewarded for the time investment I put in to an RPG. I tend to dislike RPGs that require excessive grinding just to be competent against later enemies. Putting in an extra 10 hours to only be able to barely manage an a non-optional enemy is pretty unrewarding.
There's no grinding in this.

It does have ultimate weapons, but not on your first playthrough.

Aeana

There's no grinding in this.

It does have ultimate weapons, but not on your first playthrough.

There's no grinding required in this, but if you want to keep all of your characters even, you'll have to do it. You don't need to keep your characters leveled evenly, though.

So is this one of those difficulties where the 'normal' is for the original fans of the franchise that isn't known for quick response and fast action? While people who knows how to handle those games would start on the harder difficulty?

Kinda like how normal on Rising is for Metal Gear fans while hard is for character action games fan?

So is this one of those difficulties where the 'normal' is for the original fans of the franchise that isn't known for quick response and fast action? While people who knows how to handle those games would start on the harder difficulty?

Kinda like how normal on Rising is for Metal Gear fans while hard is for character action games fan?

Normal in Rising was super difficult, though.

Needlecrash

People buy collector's editions for games they're not sure they'll like and will quit on after 30 minutes? I can't even imagine doing that.

I rarely purchase collector's editions to begin with. After watching gameplay videos and hearing that it's more of an Action-RPG style, I was hyped. After playing it, I just feel kinda let down. However, I would need to spend more time on it before it leaves my collection. I'll put in another two hours before I make that decision.

Games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls? I have the collector's edition for them both and I really enjoy them.

pixxxelz

But the game suggest new players to start on easy (cadet) difficulty though, I'm playing it on normal let's see how it goes.

Also the camera hasn't bothered me as much as y'all, I'm only 30 minutes ish into the game though so that's probably why, I thought the camera on the FFXV demo was much worse.

Kyolux

Cadet seems to be the "for FF fans"
Officer for "people who knows how to handle those games"
and Agito looks more like a second playthrough difficulty or masochists?

I like action games, but wasn't too sure how this would go and would really love to finish this by Monday evening, so I picked Cadet.

zennyzz

Cadet is: "The original was really hard and FF fans aren't used to hard so we'll make this mode."

Officer is: Normal, pretty difficult, you're going to die a few times but if you handle it well you can manage

Agito: Masochists

burgerdog

I'd want that in a patch, and a sensitivity option. A slower/less sensitive camera might ease the other problem and make it less frustrating.

That's the problem, the sensitivity feels like a 10 in call of duty. I immediately opened the options to tone that shit down and was met with nothing. Great.

kiryogi

Banned
Currently playing with the dub right now, and what the hell with some of the voice miscastings. Like Queen or Cater (or was it Cinque?). Some are decent, then some are blatantly not befitting of the character. Cant believe I'm saying this, but the Japanese audio wasn't using highpitched actors in comparison. From both male and females, the JP audio used deeper voices for the most part.

Cadet is: "The original was really hard and FF fans aren't used to hard so we'll make this mode."

Officer is: Normal, pretty difficult, you're going to die a few times but if you handle it well you can manage

Agito: Masochists
Pretty much.
I think it is like DMC and no one will judge you for playing on Easy.
It is more like Normal, Hard, Lunatic ala FE :p

Da fuq? I know at 28 years old I'm an old geezer on GAF but they have video games at libraries?

I like the motion blur a lot, focuses your view on the things you're fighting/locked onto, makes sense given you're constantly hopping around like a madman and wouldn't be able to focus on much else anyway, and it helps to hide the rougher edges making the game look better at times. Of course it doesn't make me feel ill in any way which would probably affect my opinion.

Just started after playing the shit out of the XV demo. But so far I love Type-0!! The combat is really fun and engaging. I am just starting chapter 2 so obviously I am not far at all but I like the start!

How do you target enemies that are dead and on the ground to suck their souls or whatever (lol) while other enemies are around? Sometimes their bodies vanish before I can get it to work. I've tried holding r1 and tilting toward their body (or tilting it downward) but doesn't work most of the time in the heat of battle.

How do you target enemies that are dead and on the ground to suck their souls or whatever (lol) while other enemies are around? Sometimes their bodies vanish before I can get it to work. I've tried holding r1 and tilting toward their body (or tilting it downward) but doesn't work most of the time in the heat of battle.

I think it's R1 + Up, not toward the body.

zennyzz

you hold r1 to lock onto a body and then press square.

I personally use the tap r1 option and then swap between targets with l2/r2 rather than relying on the right analog stick. then when they're down you just automatically reap them with square.

If you kill a boss with enemies left alive the guys will stick their arms up and you can click X on them to get some item from them. What if the enemy is in an unreachable location? Just have to move on in that case?

Top Bottom