• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

For people complaining about the camera, are you guys experiencing problems when moving the right stick or when locking on to enemies? I don't have the HD version, but on the PSP I found that the "hold to lock on" option made the game fine to play, and of course, no use of right analogue stick. I would centre the camera by tapping the right shoulder button instead (I think this is remapped to pressing the right stick on the DS4). Maybe try that instead of the stick?

This is my suggestion as well. Don't move the camera with the right stick.

It doesn't fix the problems, but it helps in avoiding them. It still needs patching, though.

Skulldead

Has anyone in Canada actually received their CE yet from the Square Store?

What the hell is up with this tracking info. Does it mean it is going back to Square's warehouse?

Same i'm pretty angry right now. This is very incompetent for them not to make us pay the border fees directly on the price of the item like Amazon.com is doing. Because of that they hold our package for ridiculous amount of time. This is probably the last time i Bought from their shop, they clearly don't know how to handle international shipping. Digital River was horrible, but the New company they use are at the same level of incapable. Charge 40$ US Dollars for a a** shipping service...

Has anyone in Canada actually received their CE yet from the Square Store?

What the hell is up with this tracking info. Does it mean it is going back to Square's warehouse?
Same thing happened to me, but don't worry, I went to Canada Post's tracking site and put the tracking number in there and it tells me it's in my city.

Few questions:

1) In the last mission of chapter 2, in the room with the golem right before the power core, there was a sparkly thing on the ground. I couldn't pick it up because i was in combat, and after i left the room and came back later when the golem was gone, the item wasn't there anymore. Anyone know if it's possible to pick up items while in combat?

2) i missed a few tasks because i used my time talking to the ! people. Is this useless? All I seem to get are crappy items. Did i miss anything serious by not completing those tasks?

3) What are the special bounties i see at the end of each mission? Is there a way to see a list of all completed / uncompleted ones and their rewards?

4) How do you run away? I accidentally aggroed a behemoth on the way to Togareth and got destroyed. Is there any way to flee from battle?

been playing for an hour..

what's with the camera? when standing still it can move any speed you want by slightly tilting the right stick it will move slowly, tilt all the way it will move full speed.. that's fine..

but when you're moving, it only has 1 speed. MAXIMUM SPEED. wtf? its broken.

i realise many people mention the camera in the thread but there's a reason for that.

Few questions:

1) In the last mission of chapter 2, in the room with the golem right before the power core, there was a sparkly thing on the ground. I couldn't pick it up because i was in combat, and after i left the room and came back later when the golem was gone, the item wasn't there anymore. Anyone know if it's possible to pick up items while in combat?

2) i missed a few tasks because i used my time talking to the ! people. Is this useless? All I seem to get are crappy items. Did i miss anything serious by not completing those tasks?

3) What are the special bounties i see at the end of each mission? Is there a way to see a list of all completed / uncompleted ones and their rewards?

1) I think picking up sparklies is similar to locking onto dead bodies. Lock onto a live enemy, then press up on the right stick. If that doesn't work, put your weapon away with L1 and see if you can pick it up.

2) Some late-game tasks give you awesome gear, and some really late game tasks require some insane stuff like maxing out your attack stat to 255.

3) Not sure about this.

So i figure it's just a bug.

You can move the camera at any speed when standing still (up down left and right)

but when moving left and right is always at max speed (but up and down isnt)

it's just so jarring from no speed to max speed isnt it?

This game would be so much better with a bit of streamlining.

1) The ability to see on the map where events are.
2) The ability to switch characters anywhere.
3) Fast travel.
4) The ability to take on multiple requests at once.

There's so much needless tedium in this game. It feels like a big missed opportunity.

jorgeton

How are you guys using the camera? If you're not in battle, don't spin it around too much. The field of view is wide enough that you can see what's around you without having to mess with the angles too much. Also, use the lock on (R1) to snap to enemies instead of trying to find them with the right stick.

I get car sick and the like, but have had no problems with this game at all.

Skilletor

This game would be so much better with a bit of streamlining.

1) The ability to see on the map where events are.
2) The ability to switch characters anywhere.
3) Fast travel.

4) The ability to take on multiple requests at once.

There's so much needless tedium in this game. It feels like a big missed opportunity.

So basically, you want it to be laden down with all of the trappings of a modern AAA open world game.

khaaan

Spent some more time with the game last night and I think I might be getting used to the camera or at least am at a point where I don't completely totally hate it. I found that when you're not targeting anything the camera is passable but locking on feels like it gets a lot worse. I’ve been getting by with not bothering with a camera in combat situations. Still gotta work out some frustrations with gathering though.

zennyzz

type-0 does have fast travel, it's only unlocked from chapter 3 though.

There's also really not much of a need to switch characters during your off days save for a rare few events.

I do agree with seeing where events are and multiple request flags.

1) I think picking up sparklies is similar to locking onto dead bodies. Lock onto a live enemy, then press up on the right stick. If that doesn't work, put your weapon away with L1 and see if you can pick it up.

2) Some late-game tasks give you awesome gear, and some really late game tasks require some insane stuff like maxing out your attack stat to 255.

3) Not sure about this.

Thanks. I added one more to my post after I posted. Any idea? (How do you run away from combat?)

I guess the camera doesn't bug me that much. I actually bought the e-Prima guide. Really liking Cater and King so far. Just finished that boss fight in Togarth which was tough.

I did some minute-long experiments with the camera.

It seems like it only has eight directions of movement - the four cardinals, plus the intermediaries. This alone is not so bad, but it's combined with the camera only having two speeds, slower and full-speed. Having more gradations in the speed would have improved this by a lot.

All of this together with the high camera angle that's usually pointing at the floor (I imagine this was the default to avoid pop-in and keep the framerate up on the PSP, otherwise I can not reason why they did this) makes the camera way more frustrating than it needs to be. They absolutely should have torn it down to its most basic parts and rebuilt it from there.

Ochibi

I suffer from motion sickness. I know that Tabata-san told me

we will gonna have more round of updating and changing the camera so in the end I’m sure it will be something very comfortable to play with so don’t worry about that.

But I'm a bit scared and I don't want to puke. Do you guys have any tips to avoid that ? Shall I play it on PSVita with remote play ?

Okay, I'm liking the combat system, and the plot is actually pretty cool if you access the rubicum and read up on what's going on (A final fantasy with proper military tactics? holy crap!), but there's a few really REALLY wierd things with this game:

1: DAT MOTION BLUR. Holy shit, it's almost sickening.. I really, REALLY hope SE bring out a patch that gives us an option to turn that the hell off.

2: Just did the first mission. I'm kicking some butt as Eight and punching shit up, but then uddenly the other members of my party are replaced randomly by random japanese names? What the hell is going on? is this like some kinda adhoc multiplayer mode, or what?

3: MOOGLE IS NOT AN ACRONYM, TABATA.

Formosa

Hi Sorry, new to this thread... Can someone fill me in about this game? Is it very linear like FF10 and 11? Or is it open world like the older fantasies?

Hi Sorry, new to this thread... Can someone fill me in about this game? Is it very linear like FF10 and 11? Or is it open world like the older fantasies?

It's mission based, like Crisis Core. You can replay missions, and there's a decent amount of grind, if you're into that.

Falk

that puzzling face

The description I've heard that I most agree with is actually something like FFTactics. Not to say this is a TRPG/SRPG, but more of that it's a spinoff game with a wildly different gameplay base, wildly different narrative style, and no real main character since the focus is on the class as a whole. It just so happens to have very strong Final Fantasy stylings to its lore as well (specifically FNC).

2: Just did the first mission. I'm kicking some butt as Eight and punching shit up, but then uddenly the other members of my party are replaced randomly by random japanese names? What the hell is going on? is this like some kinda adhoc multiplayer mode, or what?

Those are support units to replace the multiplayer component. They'll join you for a short bit at random intervals to replace your party, and you get some SSP out of it to change for rewards.

And the names aren't actually random, I had Tetsuya Nomura and Ami Koshimizu join me on my last mission, heh.

zennyzz

Okay, I'm liking the combat system, and the plot is actually pretty cool if you access the rubicum and read up on what's going on (A final fantasy with proper military tactics? holy crap!), but there's a few really REALLY wierd things with this game:

1: DAT MOTION BLUR. Holy shit, it's almost sickening.. I really, REALLY hope SE bring out a patch that gives us an option to turn that the hell off.

3: MOOGLE IS NOT AN ACRONYM, TABATA.

You can turn off the support from the menu. Though I recommend using it on repeated mission playthroughs. SPP has a lot of cool gear.

to turn it off

>menu
>options
>akademia backup: refuse

What're you talking about?

M.O.O.G.L.E. is amazing

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

This is explained in one of the early tutorials I seem to recall. Essentially you can opt to have random support units added to missions. You can't control them(they are silhouetted ghosts), but they act as reserves to help out in addition to your normal team and if they survive you get a special currency(SPP?) which isn't really useful until later/NG+.

Basically go into options and select 'refuse' on support help. Even the strategy guide recommends you turn it off on a first playthrough. It's better to use your own party and get XP despite the added help. I think it's set as on-by-default because obviously all gamers are shit at games and need the added boost.

So yea, turn off support units in options people!!

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
The jankyness with the camera has me a bit wary, but the Kotaku review makes it sound pretty intriguing despite the problems.

The combat system sounds solid, but does anyone want to give some opinions on the story? Are the character interactions and sidequests that you find from exploring the world between missions interesting?

mauaus

Should i be killing enemies and then absorbing them or kill them all and then absorb them, do they disappear mid battle if i dont immediately?

rybrad

You can turn off the support from the menu. Though I recommend using it on repeated mission playthroughs. SPP has a lot of cool gear.

to turn it off

>menu
>options
>akademia backup: refuse

What're you talking about?

M.O.O.G.L.E. is amazing
Just curious, but what would be the benefit of doing that on repeat mission playthroughs when I assume you could still get more XP for your class on repeats? Is this SP gear worth skipping XP on alternate characters? I am finding it difficult to juggle everyone as it is.

You want to absorb immediately, because exploding bodies deal tons of damage to nearby enemies.

But if you absorb lots of stuff at once, don't you get a bonus?

This is explained in one of the early tutorials I seem to recall. Essentially you can opt to have random support units added to missions. You can't control them(they are silhouetted ghosts), but they act as reserves to help out in addition to your normal team and if they survive you get a special currency(SPP?) which isn't really useful until later/NG+.

Basically go into options and select 'refuse' on support help. Even the strategy guide recommends you turn it off on a first playthrough. It's better to use your own party and get XP despite the added help. I think it's set as on-by-default because obviously all gamers are shit at games and need the added boost.

So yea, turn off support units in options people!!

It's been mentioned a few times, but by using support people you get Support People Points (SPP) which you can use in the command center in Akademia to buy outrageously good gear.

zennyzz

Just curious, but what would be the benefit of doing that on repeat mission playthroughs when I assume you could still get more XP for your class on repeats? Is this SP gear worth skipping XP on alternate characters? I am finding it difficult to juggle everyone as it is.

SPP is relatively quick to rack up and on top of that you wouldn't need to do more than say two missions with back up to get the benefits, and there are a few other ways to level up outside of just doing missions for your characters. Mogalin's classes help a lot.

Loefah

Banned
Should i be killing enemies and then absorbing them or kill them all and then absorb them, do they disappear mid battle if i dont immediately?

I'm having trouble doing this in time. I seem to just spam my attack instead of absorbing even though I'm locked on.

zennyzz

The jankyness with the camera has me a bit wary, but the Kotaku review makes it sound pretty intriguing despite the problems.

The combat system sounds solid, but does anyone want to give some opinions on the story? Are the character interactions and sidequests that you find from exploring the world between missions interesting?

It's going to depend from person to person. I personally love it because each passing mission leads to new down time and with it comes new events as well as almost every npc having new things to say. I'd say I've spent more than 75% of my time just talking to people and getting snips of story which flesh out the world between war missions.

The playable cast are pretty static save a few, but they play well off of each other and other NPCs. They're more Laguna than Squall. In that they don't develop but you'll always get their impressions on situations painted by their personal point of view, rather than growing after each situation.

There's also a bit of fun swapping certain characters and getting an idea of particular npcs impressions of the Playable Cast.

For instance, Class 1 Moogle is so full of salt over Class Zero knocking his class off the top podium you can taste it.

Dante316

I wanted to buy this with bloodborne but this camera issue has made me change my mind. I am just gnna buy bloodborne on Tuesday and buy FF when it is cheaper down the road.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
ahh thanks guess i have to haul ass then

Also keep in mind that drawing phantoma will explode the body for splash damage(and I think you get some minor invincibility frames when doing so). Your mission grade factors in on drawing as much as possible.

I dunno how I feel about it all so far. The actual drawing seems a bit janky to me. Like there is a slight delay waiting for the corpse to allow drawing while I sit there watching the limp body until the prompt finally shows. Might get used to it, but eh....

Beyond the shit camera blur/sensitivity, I also dislike:

-Equipment and character swap can only be done at savepoints, even just in the school talking to random NPC's that require certain party members for cutscenes. Fucking what?
-You can only check skill, equipment, and ability tooltips at savepoints. Again what?
-Why no minimap?
-Camera goes haywire when backed against any wall or obstacle. (Just to add to its problems)

Probably more, but still early in.

mauaus

I'm having trouble doing this in time. I seem to just spam my attack instead of absorbing even though I'm locked on.

yeah there should be a dedicated button for that, its weird that the psp had much fewer buttons and they couldnt think of that

zennyzz

I personally found the best way to get over camera woes and reap phantoma is to use this option set up.

>Menu
>Preferences
>Options
>Lock on: Tap

When you do this, you automatically hard lock to and enemy when you tap R1. This also allows you to instantly harvest phantoma the moment you kill the locked on target.

You can also swap between targets more easily by using R2/L2. I find it better thn using the right stick or R3 in battle.

a question for people who have beaten the game[idk if some of you are super sensitive about spoilers so heres some spoiler tags]:
is it true that the end teases type 1?

Z3M0G

Game plays MUCH better with lock-on as toggle instead of hold. I'm glad someone pointed out that option.

The combat really feels like D. Souls lite.

Z3M0G

It's three parts for me, the motion blur is awful, the sensitivity is too high, and the camera is tied to movement, which is dumb as hell. This means that you're fighting with the camera when you move with the left stick, instead of freely rotating it to get the best view of the scene - it's possible to steer yourself with the camera stick.

Instead of fighting the movement-tied camera, embrace it. Learn to let the camera do its thing and follow you as you move.

If it wasn't tied to movement, and you needed to always turn it manually, it would be even worst for the people who struggle with it.

Top Bottom