• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Kama_1082

Banned
I'm about to go and do the first mission of chapter 2, but man the fact that it just throws all 14 characters at you at once is kind of overwhelming. It's hard to know who to test out and who to just keep using
Rule of thumb: always have a ranged and healer in your group.

This might have prob been asked before. But is the game supossed to not fill the whole TV screen? I know its a PSP HD remaster. But it is weird.

Well, under-scanning is better than over-scanning that's for sure.

But if it really bothers you verify you're tv is set to "just scan" or "pixel by pixel" or "fit to size" or some shit that sounds like that.

Setting your tv up at 16:9 is not what you should do for video games. Verify things by checking the display screen size in the ps4's display menu.

So Ending question,
is the alternate ending meant to be a 'earn your happy ending' sort of deal or is it a non-canon 'what if' scenario to make you feel less shitty?

So Ending question,
is the alternate ending meant to be a 'earn your happy ending' sort of deal or is it a non-canon 'what if' scenario to make you feel less shitty?
Well, spoilers ahead (of the biggest kind).

The answer here is pretty complicated.

Yes, the extra ending is a "What if...?' thing, but at the same time it's kind of cannon, or at least seems to be.

Further spoilers:

The world of the game has basically a "cycle", if no one becomes Agito in the world, then the Arbiter destroys it. One specific character mentions already seeing "over 6 million worlds" before the one Type-0 happens in. But we never really know if it's the same world that repeats itself over and over again, or if it's a new one each time. If we consider the former, then the "What if...?" scenario could be one of those worlds, where they get to live their lives... Or it could just be a non-cannon ending if it's the latter.

That's the basic of it

//ARCANUM

So I was NOT expecting this: the Final Fantasy XV demo runs so poorly that it's close to unplayable to me and almost gives me a headache. And Final Fantasy Type-0 is kinda awesome. I did not think I'd dig FF0.

Pez

So I was NOT expecting this: the Final Fantasy XV demo runs so poorly that it's close to unplayable to me and almost gives me a headache. And Final Fantasy Type-0 is kinda awesome. I did not think I'd dig FF0.

Yeah, I've been curious to try FF XV. Surprised to hear it runs so poorly. I'll have to give ff0 a playthrough when it's alittle cheaper. Hard to believe there's a new console FF!

Seik

Banned
Finished the FFXV demo and started Type-0 right away and played until the end of the first mission (in the world map I mean...holy shit there's a world map! :O).

I'm really loving it so far, the music is solid, the story seems solid, it looks pretty good for a remaster of a PSP game. On the downsides, I kinda dislike the blur when I'm moving the camera and I still need to get around how to manage all these 13 characters, but that's pretty much it.

Good game so far.

Question, how do I see how to perform certain moves again? I forgot how to do a finisher for example.

Lock on to the enemy after he's dead and when your character starts "levitating" the enemy you press square.

You can check the tutorials at the library in the academy.

And, at least on the PSP, you could always check the controls in one of the menu tabs.

Lock on to the enemy after he's dead and when your character starts "levitating" the enemy you press square.

You can check the tutorials at the library in the academy.

And, at least on the PSP, you could always check the controls in one of the menu tabs.
I don't mean retrieving phantoma, I mean using abilities like melee attack and finishing blow. Thanks though I'll check the library.

linkent

So i started this game last night.
Only have 30-60min, i reached that early miniboss after
Odin summon
and died there.
Since there is no continue option, does that mean i have to start from save point again? -_-"
Game seems quite hard. Cant wait to play again later at night.

Only bad impression is the graphic is not really good(expected from PSP remastered) also that "Blur" when moving the camera. Causing abit of Nausea.

zennyzz

I don't mean retrieving phantoma, I mean using abilities like melee attack and finishing blow. Thanks though I'll check the library.

some moves have directional inputs when you're attacking. Queen for instance has several different attack cancels and requirements for snapping the left analog stick to a particular place to pull of a move. Some finishers like the automagic finisher require you get the timing down when switching to the skill button after a combo.

It depends on the character in question as well. Also camera direction may also affect certain inputs.

For how many characters to play, it depends how much content you do outside of the missions (do you go to the world map? do you go to dungeons? do you complete requests? Do you study?)

I, for instance, kept everyone at the same level and never had to grind on my first playthrough. But I dick around a lot and I would complete every request and I would revisit dungeons for items/quests.

Say you never skip to the next story mission and always progress through missions by doing side-stuff, but you don't go as crazy as me, then the best course of action is picking 6-9 characters and then creating 2-3 teams of 3 characters and manage them that way.

If you just go through the main story and barely do the side stuff, then keep 3 characters only.

Cloudy

Banned
So i started this game last night.
Only have 30-60min, i reached that early miniboss after
Odin summon
and died there.
Since there is no continue option, does that mean i have to start from save point again? -_-"
Game seems quite hard. Cant wait to play again later at night.

Only bad impression is the graphic is not really good(expected from PSP remastered) also that "Blur" when moving the camera. Causing abit of Nausea.

That boss is really easy. Just use Ace and run around while the others finish it

Anyone know how to turn off the SP support during a mission so my characters can level up again? Kind of upset I turned it on in the first place.

kaiiri

For how many characters to play, it depends how much content you do outside of the missions (do you go to the world map? do you go to dungeons? do you complete requests? Do you study?)

I, for instance, kept everyone at the same level and never had to grind on my first playthrough. But I dick around a lot and I would complete every request and I would revisit dungeons for items/quests.

Say you never skip to the next story mission and always progress through missions by doing side-stuff, but you don't go as crazy as me, then the best course of action is picking 6-9 characters and then creating 2-3 teams of 3 characters and manage them that way.

If you just go through the main story and barely do the side stuff, then keep 3 characters only.

makes sense. I'm not sure how much im gonna do side quest-wise yet. I just haven't gotten totally sold on what type-0 offers so not sure if I wanna try and do it all or just experience the story.

Well, spoilers ahead (of the biggest kind).

The answer here is pretty complicated.

Yes, the extra ending is a "What if...?' thing, but at the same time it's kind of cannon, or at least seems to be.

Further spoilers:

The world of the game has basically a "cycle", if no one becomes Agito in the world, then the Arbiter destroys it. One specific character mentions already seeing "over 6 million worlds" before the one Type-0 happens in. But we never really know if it's the same world that repeats itself over and over again, or if it's a new one each time. If we consider the former, then the "What if...?" scenario could be one of those worlds, where they get to live their lives... Or it could just be a non-cannon ending if it's the latter.

That's the basic of it

Cool, thanks for this!

So just to clarify, does that mean that the main ending is the end of the cycle, and the alternate ending is at best a previous cycle? Or is the alternate ending the final cycle and the first two playthroughs you need to get it are previous cycles?

JohnCYQ

I hope this comes to Steam eventually...ps4 titles are expensive and generally do not get sales/price cuts here in Singapore from what I can tell.

Cool, thanks for this!

So just to clarify, does that mean that the main ending is the end of the cycle, and the alternate ending is at best a previous cycle? Or is the alternate ending the final cycle and the first two playthroughs you need to get it are previous cycles?

Apparently yes, that seems to be the end of the cycle. Kinda like FFI I suppose. And that world even becomes a more "normal" one, with people being able to remember the dead and whatnot.

burgerdog

When does the game start to pick up? I just made it to chapter 2 and ran around akademia and mostly itching for uninterrupted gameplay. Right now there's way too many cutscenes.

Dynasty8

When does the game start to pick up? I just made it to chapter 2 and ran around akademia and mostly itching for uninterrupted gameplay. Right now there's way too many cutscenes.

Ya...I just finished the 2nd chapter... I'm so confused about the story. They throw you in there expecting you know the whole backstory.

zennyzz

I'd say things get solidly around when you finish your second mission of chapter 2. That's largely when you can begin breeding chocobos, checking the world map, doing side quests, really talk with npcs, train, etc.

Ya...I just finished the 2nd chapter... I'm so confused about the story. They throw you in there expecting you know the whole backstory.

Did you guys watch the pre-main menu video? It gives the backstory well enough. I don't feel lost. I have some questions but I know what's going on for the most part.

zennyzz

"Dragon. Tortoise. Tiger. Phoenix. Mother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Crystals kept balance between the Tortoise Tribes, Dragon Kingdom, Tiger Empire, and Phoenix Republic. But that all changed when the Tiger Empire attacked. Only the Agito could master all the elements. Only he could stop the ruthless Magitek Armors. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. The Tiger Empire is nearing victory in the War. Some people believe that the Agito was never real to begin with, and that Tempis Finis is upon us. But I haven't lost hope. I still believe that somehow, the Agito will return to save the world."

"Dragon. Tortoise. Tiger. Phoenix. Mother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Crystals kept balance between the Tortoise Tribes, Dragon Kingdom, Tiger Empire, and Phoenix Republic. But that all changed when the Tiger Empire attacked. Only the Agito could master all the elements. Only he could stop the ruthless Magitek Armors. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. The Tiger Empire is nearing victory in the War. Some people believe that the Agito was never real to begin with, and that Tempis Finis is upon us. But I haven't lost hope. I still believe that somehow, the Agito will return to save the world."

Lol.

burgerdog

I'd say things get solidly around when you finish your second mission of chapter 2. That's largely when you can begin breeding chocobos, checking the world map, doing side quests, really talk with npcs, train, etc.

That's good to hear, I really want to give the game a chance and that's reassuring.

XD, the first ending from the first playthrough seems to be the ending of the cycle, and the what if ending is from a previous world (at best).

Cool, thanks so much for the help!

Unfortunately, I might give this game a pass then. As silly, as it is, I'm just not in the mood for sad or bittersweet endings right now. I started a new job in the clinical trials industry, which involves testing drugs on and studying cancer patients, often until death. Got more than enough sad endings in my day to day job as it is.

Cool, thanks so much for the help!

Unfortunately, I might give this game a pass then. As silly, as it is, I'm just not in the mood for sad or bittersweet endings right now. I started a new job about half a year ago that involves studying cancer patients, often until death. Got more than enough sad endings in my day to day job as it is.

Damn, that's rough. The What If ending is pretty "dumb fun", so you might want to look that up (if you don't plan on doing a second playthrough) in case you want a happier ending (it even has a j-pop music called "colorful falling in love" =P).

Teknoman

Maybe its just that i've played alot of rpgs, but that doesnt sound confusing at all.

Several tribes, each with an elemental crystal alignment. One decided they would be best to rule over all, and tried an aggressive campaign. Some legendary hero with the title of Agito had the ability to control all elements from all crystals, and was the only one that could actually bring order back again. No one knows where he is, and havent seen physical evidence of him, so stop believing... but one person still thinks that he will come back and put everything right.

Whats so hard to understand (and I haven't even started playing the game yet). At least it seems more straight forward than what was going on in the FNC main trilogy.

Maybe its just that i've played alot of rpgs, but that doesnt sound confusing at all.

Several tribes, each with an elemental crystal alignment. One decided they would be best to rule over all, and tried an aggressive campaign. Some legendary hero with the title of Agito had the ability to control all elements from all crystals, and was the only one that could actually bring order back again. No one knows where he is, and havent seen physical evidence of him, so stop believing... but one person still thinks that he will come back and put everything right.

Whats so hard to understand (and I haven't even started playing the game yet). At least it seems more straight forward than what was going on in the FNC main trilogy.

It's Avatar: The Last Airbender, to simplify it even further.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really hope they patch that motion blur on the camera movement. It does hurt my eyes after awhile.
I don't think the problem is the blur itself, rather, the erratic nature in which the camera moves. The deadzone is massive and, when the camera finally starts spinning, it's very abrupt and rapid. It doesn't feel analog at all. Removing motion blur would just make the game feel choppier.

They need to change the way the camera works completely, I think.

Top Bottom