• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Enthus

Does anyone have pictures of the PS4 theme that came with the Suzaku edition PS4? Mine was shipped from Japan today and I'd love to know how the theme looks.

batbeg

Uhhhh how do you use a phoenix down? Pretty infuriating that I could use it neither in my menu not equip it nor use it outside of battle.

zennyzz

Uhhhh how do you use a phoenix down? Pretty infuriating that I could use it neither in my menu not equip it nor use it outside of battle.

it's in the menu, but must note. Phoenix down only works when the fallen ally is still on the screen.

It's in menu under the items tag.

Also remember that menu doesn't pause

Voror

Okay, going to start at least the first mission. Would it be viable to start on the Normal difficulty and then bump it up to Hard on the second playthrough?

Any tips I should know to start?

Just played my first couple of hours and, damn, I'm really enjoying it! I love the structure a lot and the gameplay in and out of battle is a ton of fun. The camera isn't great, but I got used to it
(I still think FFXIII has the worst camera in a game I've played)

Taking a quick break to eat right now and will probably get back to it later or tomorrow.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just played my first couple of hours and, damn, I'm really enjoying it! I love the structure a lot and the gameplay in and out of battle is a ton of fun. The camera isn't great, but I got used to it

Taking a quick break to eat right now and will probably get back to it later or tomorrow.
Really? I loved the XIII camera. It felt weighty and cinematic.

zennyzz

Okay, going to start at least the first mission. Would it be viable to start on the Normal difficulty and then bump it up to Hard on the second playthrough?

Any tips I should know to start?

Choose a core team of 6-9 pcs. Level those ones up consistently

While the battle system is the largest draw, the game is more a 1:3 split in terms of action vs. exploration and npc dialogue

If the camera is an issue, I recommend changing the lock on settings to tap and then cycling through enemies with r2/l2.

SPP is a good way to get really good gear, though I recommend turning it on only when you're repeating missions.

The arena is a good place to test out every character to see who fits you play style wise.

When you're out of events or don't have any events that look worthwhile, do mogalin's classes, the stat increases apply to the entire party

Some downtime moments between missions may not allow you the ability to speak with everyone with an event trigger, so instead look around and prioritize people that you want to talk to, get cutscenes from.

It's mission day and I can't go on the missions because I haven't prepared. How do I prepare?

Go to class room, speak with kurasame

Really? I loved the XIII camera. It felt weighty and cinematic.
It wasn't very usable. It kept going where it wanted to go and wouldn't turn all the way to the side while running when I'd try to get pre-emptive strikes on enemies. It felt like I wasn't in control of it because of it's cinematic implementation.

Hugstable

Banned
I just can't seem to get used to the dub voices, just feels like there is no emotion sometimes and just seems really low quality, and I've enjoyed tons of bad dubs before. Just can't seem to get into the dub, so I switched it over to the JP voices for now. Alot of these voices sound really familiar, especially Deuce (mai flute waifu.. jk lol)

Really enjoying the different characters, makes for different and fun playstyles and alot of mixing and matching on my favorite characters. I love Machina's power, but he seems alot slower, especially in his rolls, than say Ace. I keep having this feeling deep in my gut though that Machina won't stay with me the whole game and it's futile to level him, same with Rem since they seem to be differently named than the rest of Class Zero. And noone tell me whether I'm right or wrong, I don't wanna be spoiled haha.

sensui-tomo

I just can't seem to get used to the dub voices, just feels like there is no emotion sometimes and just seems really low quality, and I've enjoyed tons of bad dubs before. Just can't seem to get into the dub, so I switched it over to the JP voices for now. Alot of these voices sound really familiar, especially Deuce (mai flute waifu.. jk lol)

Really enjoying the different characters, makes for different and fun playstyles and alot of mixing and matching on my favorite characters. I love Machina's power, but he seems alot slower, especially in his rolls, than say Ace. I keep having this feeling deep in my gut though that Machina won't stay with me the whole game and it's futile to level him, same with Rem since they seem to be differently named than the rest of Class Zero. And noone tell me whether I'm right or wrong, I don't wanna be spoiled haha.

The problem i've had with this is that there are some good voice actor/actresses but it sounds like they were given no direction what so ever, so for me its worse than a bad dub since its wasted potential, but yeah japanese voice cast sounds very very familiar.

Nose Master

The end of chapter 3, so good.
Everyone I had was dead minus one random katana dude I never use on the boss fight. Thank god the boss fight was gimmicky and not an actual fight. If the NPC developers didn't keep casting wall, that fight woulda been over about twenty minutes earlier, though. Yeesh. Good shit, though.

EDIT: Looool. I died on the l'cie cause the katana dude has garbage mobility, and still got the cutscene and victory over the mission cause they called a ceasefire. I'm hoping that was scripted and not just a "fail" path.

Rizzi

Questions.
Why are my party members being replaced by people I can't control?
How do I figure out who I should take with me?
Oh god the camera my eyes.

Cloudy

Banned
This game is pretty complex for a PSP game. Such a shame that Squeenix didn't even try on the vita

PS: The first 3 "towns" are a complete joke tho lol

Voror

Choose a core team of 6-9 pcs. Level those ones up consistently

While the battle system is the largest draw, the game is more a 1:3 split in terms of action vs. exploration and npc dialogue

If the camera is an issue, I recommend changing the lock on settings to tap and then cycling through enemies with r2/l2.

SPP is a good way to get really good gear, though I recommend turning it on only when you're repeating missions.

The arena is a good place to test out every character to see who fits you play style wise.

When you're out of events or don't have any events that look worthwhile, do mogalin's classes, the stat increases apply to the entire party

Some downtime moments between missions may not allow you the ability to speak with everyone with an event trigger, so instead look around and prioritize people that you want to talk to, get cutscenes from.

Thank you.

Is repeating missions the best way to grind if I want to do that?

Flarin

After every mission it keeps saying I unlocked new weapons, but when I go to the armory none of then are there. Am I missing something? Do I need to do something else to unlock them? Go to a different town?

Thank you.

Is repeating missions the best way to grind if I want to do that?

I have a feeling I will do most of my standard leveling out in the world map with the random battles.

I like the ambushes you can keep going on until you fight a lv 28 group. Get lots of xp. Haven't died yet but got close once when still figuring out the systems and controls. Didn't know how to sub in new members to replace dead ones at first. Nearly got creamed on one of these ambushes

I think this should be repeated just in case: use your weaker and less favorite characters first when on a story mission, 99% of you will lose all your characters at some point the first time you play a story mission and you don't want to lose your best character early

This is also a good way to get used to other characters, which is a good practice because some characters that start weak will become really powerful at higher levels

batbeg

it's in the menu, but must note. Phoenix down only works when the fallen ally is still on the screen.

It's in menu under the items tag.

Also remember that menu doesn't pause

Oh I didn't realize it would only revive on screen dead party members that sucks. At least now I know.

Hugstable

Banned
This game is pretty complex for a PSP game. Such a shame that Squeenix didn't even try on the vita

The towns gets better than after those first 3? Like I don't mind really that the first 2 towns are pretty much just a square area, but it would be awesome if they got bigger or more complex.

I have a feeling I will do most of my standard leveling out in the world map with the random battles.

I like the ambushes you can keep going on until you fight a lv 28 group. Get lots of xp. Haven't died yet but got close once when still figuring out the systems and controls. Didn't know how to sub in new members to replace dead ones at first. Nearly got creamed on one of these ambushes

Yeah overworld seems pretty good for grinding since they sometimes have those mobs that just keep coming with increased levels as long as you don't retreat. Actually a pretty neat mechanic for leveling up my side character. I'm kinda addicted playing with the side characters and leveling them up, so fun trying out the different fighting styles. Spent 10 hours on this game so far and I'm still on Chapter 2 (just started the next main mission, think it's my second or 3rd in chapter 2. It's a mission after the 2 day wait after the RTS tutorial sequence.

Nose Master

I got a new outfit for Ace, but I have no idea how. I'm assuming either counters or phantom absorbs and the like. Is that how you get them for everyone?

Voror

I'll keep that in mind then. Thank you.

Cloudy

Banned
The towns gets better than after those first 3? Like I don't mind really that the first 2 towns are pretty much just a square area, but it would be awesome if they got bigger or more complex.

I don't believe the towns get better. I was talking about the other gameplay and Akademeia really lol

Eh... kinda? They are all one room IIRC, some get very big though considering it's only room, they all have one side-quest that doesn't have the side-quest symbol above the head of the NPC that gives it to you, there are some that will deny you access to the rest of the town unless you do the side-quest first

Hugstable

Banned
Eh... kinda? They are all one room IIRC, some get very big though considering it's only room, they all have one side-quest that doesn't have the side-quest symbol above the head of the NPC that gives it to you, there are some that will deny you access to the rest of the town unless you do the side-quest first

Hidden side-quest?! Thats hood to know, now I feel like I missed out on those quests since I already started my next big mission. Do they stay around?

Hidden side-quest?! Thats hood to know, now I feel like I missed out on those quests since I already started my next big mission. Do they stay around?

Yeah, these side-quest can be completed at any time once the town is available, generally without leaving the town

For example in the first town, there is one guy that wants you to talk to all the citizens so that they could organize the town after the invasion

In later towns you can be a wingman to some guys or deliver letters to weird citizens

zennyzz

I got a new outfit for Ace, but I have no idea how. I'm assuming either counters or phantom absorbs and the like. Is that how you get them for everyone?

kills, phantomas, killsights, dodging. If you keep using certain characters you unlock goods for them after each mission.

Nose Master

kills, phantomas, killsights, dodging. If you keep using certain characters you unlock goods for them after each mission.

Do the kills/counters etc count only if you do them during the mission, or do they just tally up everything you've done since the last mission once you do the next?

Wagram

I'm on Chapter 4 now and it seems the story is picking up.

That Aria getting shot cutscene made my jaw drop. She had to have been like 13?

Same here. It feels made for small chunks that are to be played on the go, let alone that so many other PS4 games that I own are also on Vita. It's probably why the missions repay option is on the title screen; it'd be quicker to get into the action.
Cross Save would have been awesome.

Korosenai

The end of chapter 3, so good.
Everyone I had was dead minus one random katana dude I never use on the boss fight. Thank god the boss fight was gimmicky and not an actual fight. If the NPC developers didn't keep casting wall, that fight woulda been over about twenty minutes earlier, though. Yeesh. Good shit, though.

EDIT: Looool. I died on the l'cie cause the katana dude has garbage mobility, and still got the cutscene and victory over the mission cause they called a ceasefire. I'm hoping that was scripted and not just a "fail" path.
That is exactly what happened to me. Exact same thing. Had three people on the boss before the
l'cie
and all but one died. My character died fighting the
l'cie
and I was like fuck gotta do this all over again, and then the mission complete screen popped up.

Reveirg

Glad you finally got your copy!

Nose Master

So, who's everyone favorite character to play as? Ace is easymode, but I think I have the most fun with Rem / Knucks guy.

I don't get how you're expected to beat some of these encounters without a ranged character, though. Like, you can't hit the dudes. Chapter 3 was 200% harder because I didn't have a ranged character on me.

So, who's everyone favorite character to play as? Ace is easymode, but I think I have the most fun with Rem / Knucks guy.

I've just started playing, but I had a ton of fun with Trey as a bow guy on the first mission I did. I thought I was going to switch out between the three I went into the mission with, but basically ended up destroying the mission really easy and never switching out. Of course I think he was Primed or whatever (still not sure what that means) but I enjoy range combat so far. I definitely want to try out Sice and Seven for more melee oriented combat.

I wasn't so sure about this game first loading it up, but after getting to explore the school and getting a feel for missions and the combat, I'm suddenly really enjoying it. I love the fact that you have your whole class to choose from at the very beginning - few games let you have a whole party to tailor to your play style from the start. This should keep me occupied until Bloodborne arrives for sure.

dcassell

Banned
Well, bought this and immediately feel overwhelmed with lore and plot points. Reminds me of Kingdom Hearts 2 in that sense: too much stuff and not enough time to learn it all. Love the game play though! Two hours in and the combat system is excellent. Looking forward to digging into this over spring break

Falk

that puzzling face
I almost prefer playing on vita. No motion blur and the camera doesn't seem as sensitive

It's... exactly the same. Except it occupies a significantly smaller fraction of your vision.

Remote play doesn't magically remove features from the engine.

Aforementioned smaller fraction of vision definitely helps with motion sickness though. Like massively.

RDreamer

It's... exactly the same. Except it occupies a significantly smaller fraction of your vision.

I think it's the resolution that does it with the motion blur.

I actually now prefer to play the game on my lower resolution projector. The blur seems waaaaaay more manageable (and the game actually looks really great at this res).

Top Bottom