• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Mendrox

I thought everybody exaggerated when the camera was mentioned but... wow the camera is very bad. It is too fast and the motion blur is very confusing and makes me a little bit sick (and I never got sick playing games and using their cameras!).

Any tipps how to change everything? I also have problems draining enemies immediately... I kill them (locked them on with R1) and after they are dead I try to draw the animae, but my characters rather like to attack till I wait a second and try again...

But I am liking everything so far. Mature story in the beginning, blood (WOW!), good soundtrack and epic cutscenes :)

I thought everybody exaggerated when the camera was mentioned but... wow the camera is very bad. It is too fast and the motion blur is very confusing and makes me a little bit sick (and I never got sick playing games and using their cameras!).

Any tipps how to change everything? I also have problems draining enemies immediately... I kill them (locked them on with R1) and after they are dead I try to draw the animae, but my characters rather like to attack till I wait a second and try again...

the 'solution' offered most often is to always be locked-on to enemies & simply never use the right stick...

so, what i did was, i went back to my fan-patched psp version (which i'd put aside when word came out about the hd remaster). cuz if the only way i can play the game is to never use the right stick, why not? :) ...

&, weirdly enuf, the enemy draining bit seems to work better in the original. i'd been having the same problem as you, but not so much now...

jersoc

alright, so for the last hour i've been trying to get a striker for the secret agito agent request. wtf am i missing? out every damn random battle i didnt get one. my characters lvled like 5 times so far. this is ridiculous. if every kill quest is this stupid why are they even in this game?

Just popping in to say chapters 5 and 6 are amazing! I was enjoying the game but those two chapters really pushed it over the edge. Love the darker themes as well as the academy setting, and having a large number of specialized characters to use reminds me of ff6. I'd definitely like to see Square revisit this "Type" franchise with a more fleshed-out console-centric sequel.

Favorite Class members:
Ace is easy mode, but I've been switching between Seven and Eight as my main since they let you have a lot of fun with stick-direction dependent moves. I also like Jack and Trey for the high burst damage they allow, but they're both too sluggish to run with so I keep them in my party and switch to them when needed.

Least favorite:
Cinque's attacks are way too slow to land killshots with any regularity. Cater's attacks are too weak, forcing you to debuff everything first. Deuce is a poor main but a good support character in your party. Also, not sure what Nine offers that Queen, Machina, or Sice don;t do better.

Loefah

Banned
Just popping in to say chapters 5 and 6 are amazing! I was enjoying the game but those two chapters really pushed it over the edge. Love the darker themes as well as the academy setting, and having a large number of specialized characters to use reminds me of ff6. I'd definitely like to see Square revisit this "Type" franchise with a more fleshed-out console-centric sequel.

Favorite Class members:
Ace is easy mode, but I've been switching between Seven and Eight as my main since they let you have a lot of fun with stick-direction dependent moves. I also like Jack and Trey for the high burst damage they allow, but they're both too sluggish to run with so I keep them in my party and switch to them when needed.

Least favorite:
Cinque's attacks are way too slow to land killshots with any regularity. Cater's attacks are too weak, forcing you to debuff everything first. Deuce is a poor main but a good support character in your party. Also, not sure what Nine offers that Queen, Machina, or Sice don;t do better.

What are these moves? I have been mostly spamming the same attack button. Maybe I need to delve deeper into combat mechanics

Epcott

I was on the fence about buying this, and figured I would only ever buy this for the demo. But then I remembered I've been waiting for Agito for yeeeears, and caved (haven't even touched Duscae yet).

It's great so far. My only irks are excessive talking in cutscenes (that long death scene in the beginning), lack of true analog walk combined with overly sensitive camera, and controls were a bit confusing at first (I still don't understand what they meant by yellow and red attacks). I have a feeling this will be the game I play the most this year.

What are these moves? I have been mostly spamming the same attack button. Maybe I need to delve deeper into combat mechanics

With some characters you do a different attack based on whether you're holding Up, L/R, or Down on the control stick. Eight especially so, since he has 4 different stances you can set to X/Triangle that each have direction dependent moves.

AmanoBuff

This seems like an easy platinum.

Yep, I haven't got the game on PS4 (played the PSP version on my Vita) and for what I read of the trophy list it could be one of the easiest platinums around. And definitely the easiest for a FF.

I don't remember seeing anything about the
Tower of Agito (full of superbosses)
in the trophies, which is by faaaar the most challenging dungeon in the game.

The final cutscene is easily the best story thing in the game(so far?). It oozed character. It was perfect. A sequel stuffed with scenes like that would be amazing.

Mendrox

the 'solution' offered most often is to always be locked-on to enemies & simply never use the right stick...

so, what i did was, i went back to my fan-patched psp version (which i'd put aside when word came out about the hd remaster). cuz if the only way i can play the game is to never use the right stick, why not? :) ...

&, weirdly enuf, the enemy draining bit seems to work better in the original. i'd been having the same problem as you, but not so much now...

Hmm that is stupid because I think it is required for good ranks? And for items? Haven't played that far to see what they are used for. Well maybe I will try to change some settings because the lock on camera reminds me of the horrible Tales of Zestiria camera where you often cannot see shit... welp. :)

Loefah

Banned
With some characters you do a different attack based on whether you're holding Up, L/R, or Down on the control stick. Eight especially so, since he has 4 different stances you can set to X/Triangle that each have direction dependent moves.

Thanks, didn't know that. So there is more depth to the combat than first appears. Will have to try each character out in the arena. I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would be..haven't even downloaded the FFXV demo yet.

KeRaSh

I was on the fence about buying this, and figured I would only ever buy this for the demo. But then I remembered I've been waiting for Agito for yeeeears, and caved (haven't even touched Duscae yet).

It's great so far. My only irks are excessive talking in cutscenes (that long death scene in the beginning), lack of true analog walk combined with overly sensitive camera, and controls were a bit confusing at first (I still don't understand what they meant by yellow and red attacks). I have a feeling this will be the game I play the most this year.

Same here. Where does it show the color and how do I trigger these moves?

Indrew

Neo Member
This is one of the few games where I would've preferred to have my characters learn skills and skill upgrades automatically at level up instead of promoting them all individually.

Having fun otherwise. The missions are fast-paced and varied.

AmanoBuff

But I am liking everything so far. Mature story in the beginning, blood (WOW!), good soundtrack and epic cutscenes :)

Don't know about the PS4 version, but on the PSP one I usually target manually the enemies I kill to get their phantoma fast. Or target someone else/unlock the targeting and then lock on again on the corpse.

Glad you like the game. One of my favorite FF. It gets better and better every chapter. And also...that soundtrack.

When you're locked on to an enemy, at some points the lock-on will change from the regular white to either yellow or red. Yellow is a critical attack, usually on the generals or bosses. Red is an instant kill, usually on the normal grunt enemies. You just have to hit the enemy with an attack while the color is changed. As far as I can tell, you don't control the color changing - instead it's more dependent on what the enemy is doing. Like I think after a grunt enemy attacks they're "vulnerable" for a brief period of time, allowing you to get a kill strike in if you're fast enough.

That's my understanding at least.

Z3M0G

It is the target reticule while locked on to an enemy.

- If you hit an enemy while it is flashed yellow, you do a critical hit
- if you hit an enemy while it is flashed red, you instantly kill them

They typically flash these colors during their attacks. Think of them as parry/counter opportunities.

KeRaSh

When you're locked on to an enemy, at some points the lock-on will change from the regular white to either yellow or red. Yellow is a critical attack, usually on the generals or bosses. Red is an instant kill, usually on the normal grunt enemies. You just have to hit the enemy with an attack while the color is changed. As far as I can tell, you don't control the color changing - instead it's more dependent on what the enemy is doing. Like I think after a grunt enemy attacks they're "vulnerable" for a brief period of time, allowing you to get a kill strike in if you're fast enough.

That's my understanding at least.

It is the target reticule while locked on to an enemy.

- If you hit an enemy while it is flashed yellow, you do a critical hit
- if you hit an enemy while it is flashed red, you instantly kill them

They typically flash these colors during their attacks. Think of them as parry/counter opportunities.

Oh, so it IS automatic. I thought it was tied to your abilities in the lower right corner where one attack might change the color when you are able to do an instakill attack for example. Thanks for clearing that up!

Mendrox

Don't know about the PS4 version, but on the PSP one I usually target manually the enemies I kill to get their phantoma fast. Or target someone else/unlock the targeting and then lock on again on the corpse.

Glad you like the game. One of my favorite FF. It gets better and better every chapter. And also...that soundtrack.

Yeah the only negative thing for me is the bad camera, but I can live with that (played through Zestiria so I have experienced worse lol). The soundtrack is godly and the I also don't mind that not every character model got updated. I am very glad that this game finally got localized at all. :) Tomorrow I will sink into Bloodborne, but I will balance both games.

AmanoBuff

Oh, so it IS automatic. I thought it was tied to your abilities in the lower right corner where one attack might change the color when you are able to do an instakill attack for example. Thanks for clearing that up!

You also have some control over it. Some 'kill-sights' will usually appear right after you evade an attack (flans for example). Once you learn the patterns of enemies, you can predict attacks, evade and do a lot of damage/kill them by timing your attack right.

So I'm almost 3 hours in, and Im really enjoying it. The opening was really strong, got me hooked. I feel like the complaints about the camera are slightly hyperbolic. It hasn't really been an issue for me. The story so far isnt "dense" or "hard to follow" like the review suggested. Maybe it gets harder to follow as the game progresses? So far, this is the most interested I've ever been in a Final Fantasy game. I've played XIII, IX, and X, and none of those grabbed me instantly the way this one has. XIII's story stopped making sense like 30 minutes in. IX is great, but I'm not a fan of how slow the battling is (I will eventually return to it to give it more focused chance). X's voice acting and plot were just too ridiculous for me.

So I'm obviously not a FF expert. Arguably, I haven't even tried the best ones yet. But I'm enjoying this one so far.

KupoNut

I've really missed those classic RPG nuggets like walking up to a character and talking, FFXIII (and probably XV too) didn't really do this.

Geg

For those of you further along in the game, is there any point to buying new weapons? The only ones available to me right now only boost the character's attack by 2 and are fairly expensive, and characters seem to switch too often in missions to really be able to pick a specific set of characters to upgrade.

zennyzz

For those of you further along in the game, is there any point to buying new weapons? The only ones available to me right now only boost the character's attack by 2 and are fairly expensive, and characters seem to switch too often in missions to really be able to pick a specific set of characters to upgrade.

You can choose who you go into battle with.

Good weapons don't come from the standard shop so don't bother with them, just do SPP and head to the battle room to buy the good gear there. Or do SOs and get stuff from them.

Wait so only the assigned character gets the stat bump for lessons?

Sorry for not answering before, the stats and experience go to everyone, talking to Moglin is one of the most useful things you can do

Wtf again. This final chapter sucks.

End game spoilers.
I guess I made the wrong choice. Got caught in an endless wave. Died once the enemies hit 58, and now I have to redo the trials again which are boring, because all the enemies are only level 20. WTF. Waste of time.

Yeah... choosing to
become a L'Cie is a bad choice

Out of curiosity. Do you get anything for
defeating Gilgamesh
on your first playthrough in chapter 6?

I was so close but dodged at the wrong time.
I never lost to him and I don't remember if he gives anything, sorry I can't be useful here

Oaktree

Banned
Okay, this is my first final fantasy since 14 several years ago. I played to the first boss, I think. I'm not used to action RPG final fantasy games and I like the speed (For some reason it reminds me of Advent Children). I keep finding myself getting lost and confused in the action sometimes. I'm hoping I can shake it off and enjoy the game more.

Meneses

Man, I thought people were exaggerating about the camera, but it actually makes me dizzy (and I never get that when playing anything).

It almost makes me not want to play it, which is a shame since the game seems to be pretty cool.

You can choose who you go into battle with.

Good weapons don't come from the standard shop so don't bother with them, just do SPP and head to the battle room to buy the good gear there. Or do SOs and get stuff from them.

All SPP weapons can be earned through normal play instead. There's no need to do SPP if you don't like it.

A little more than half of the weapons in the game are granted through SOs or other similar methods, not normal shops. And some weapons only appear in shops by completing various SOs or other conditions.

zennyzz

All SPP weapons can be earned through normal play instead. There's no need to do SPP if you don't like it.

A little more than half of the weapons in the game are granted through SOs or other similar methods, not normal shops. And some weapons only appear in shops by completing various SOs or other conditions.

How does that contradict what I said? You generally can't get most better weapons without doing one of those two things to fulfill some quotient and SPP is significantly less risk intensive than SO

Korezo

The camera ain't so bad once I got used to it. It could reaaaaaaaaaally use some sensitivity options but I'll live.

Man, I thought people were exaggerating about the camera, but it actually makes me dizzy (and I never get that when playing anything).

It almost makes me not want to play it, which is a shame since the game seems to be pretty cool.

The trick is to not use the right analog stick and play it like a psp game, or enable all those motion smoother/enhancers on your tv lol.

The trick is to not use the right analog stick and play it like a psp game, or enable all those motion smoother/enhancers on your tv lol.
It's what I'm doing lol

I just let the right analog stick chill for a while and try not to make any sudden moves unless necessary.

How does that contradict what I said? You generally can't get most better weapons without doing one of those two things to fulfill some quotient and SPP is significantly less risk intensive than SO

I just wanted to be clear that there are two routes to get the same weapon, so people don't feel like they have to do SP.

So I'm almost 3 hours in, and Im really enjoying it. The opening was really strong, got me hooked. I feel like the complaints about the camera are slightly hyperbolic. It hasn't really been an issue for me. .

I really have to disagree here. I never get motion sick or headaches playing videogames. This one did me in and if it wasn't for the work around of not touching the camera stick at all, I'd have to trade it in. Luckily the solution works wonders and I can actually play the game now. It's cool it didn't affect you, but its not hyperbolic at all good sir. It was down right making me feel sick.

Meneses

Yeah, gonna try the "no right stick" approach to see if it works for me, but it's still a shame that this stuff made it to the final game.

Naked Lunch

Ive changed my opinion on this game like 5 times since launch. First impression, disliked it, then the combat intrigued me in the intro stage, then the janky character dialogue and level progression when you enter the school brought it down again. That first RTS bit was atrocious as well. Now it really picked up again in the end of chapter 2 - I think Im a fan of the game now. That L'ce battle cutscene was really cool.

Theres just something about how fun the combat is and having all those playable characters that makes the game worth playing through its mediocre elements.

Yeah, gonna try the "no right stick" approach to see if it works for me, but it's still a shame that this stuff made it to the final game.

What really is interesting is the camera when your in the world map is absolutely better. If they could just put that sensitivity into the main game camera, I'd love it.

Is the "secret training" at the arena similar to the Pokemon daycare center? (You drop a character off, and pick them up leveled up.)

Was considering trying it, but was curious to why it asked me to save and quit, once beginning it.

Pejo

So I've been playing this game a bit the past 2 nights, and it's almost exactly what I wanted from a Final Fantasy. When I first left the town and saw a world map, and RANDOM FREAKIN' BATTLES!!!!! I flipped out (in a good way). Large playable cast, customization, the story seems serviceable, but I'm still early so I haven't seen any major developments. I can see the characters beyond The dualsword guy are not really getting much screen time yet, but I'm sure that will change. The only bummer is that you can only equip 2 skills or magic. Seems like a really robust battle system, only to be hampered by such a small active skillset. Still having a ton of fun just trying out each character and GRINDING like the old days. Love it!

Also - the camera suuuuucks. I don't get why they didn't, in all the playtesting and remastering, decide that it would be a good idea to make adjustable camera sensitivity or whatever. I don't even use it anymore, i just click R3 to center and in battle I switched to "press R1 to lock" and just find my enemies that way.

Just played through chapter one last night. This game has a good core, but it is definitely marred by technical problems and presentation issues. Amazing music, great combat, holy-shit-awful camera. The wild swings were truly making me nauseous until I learned to lock on to enemies and ignore the right stick as much as possible. I'm really looking forward to a sequel that is built from the ground up for consoles and doesn't have a rollercoaster cam, Frankenstein textures and stilted, wooden, clichéd dialog.

All that said, still enjoying the game. I hope type- becomes a legit franchise.

ironcreed

Banned
I was not going to buy this, but I caved after watching some gameplay footage. The battle system looks pretty incredible and I think I will have some fun with it.

Oh, and I also really want to play a certain demo. I really need a taste of that gorgeous world.

Asking again for new page:

Are the expert trials worth it? I got to chapter 3 and this trial is almost 20 levels higher than me. I get 1 shotted by everything. Seems like you'd have to grind forever to be able to do it. And to make matters worse there's 2 tasks I can't do because it says the expert trials are prereqs

Geg

I turned SOs off after one mission because I felt like them popping up ever battle was kind of intrusive and I would usually forget to check them until after the battle is over. Are they that worth it?

Is the "secret training" at the arena similar to the Pokemon daycare center? (You drop a character off, and pick them up leveled up.)

Was considering trying it, but was curious to why it asked me to save and quit, once beginning it.

Roughly the same idea, but basically a sleep/off mode where you can leave your game off there, and when you come back you get the exp for the active character.

Geg

Asking again for new page:

Are the expert trials worth it? I got to chapter 3 and this trial is almost 20 levels higher than me. I get 1 shotted by everything. Seems like you'd have to grind forever to be able to do it. And to make matters worse there's 2 tasks I can't do because it says the expert trials are prereqs

I haven't gotten to expert trials yet but I think those are generally meant to be done on new game+. Or just be really cautious and don't allow yourself to be hit

Top Bottom