• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Nose Master

Machina is so broken, goddamn. 2-3 melee strikes into Cyclone Drive just DUUUUUMPS into the enemy health bar. Like, Jack doesn't have shit on this. You avoid the super slow windup doing it this way, too.

I tried this "don't use the right analog stick, just press R1 to center camera" and it doesn't seem to work that well, am I missing something? Suppose all the enemies on the battle field are behind me, i hold r1 and there's nothing to lock on to so it doesn't do anything unless i turn the camera around with the right analog stick first

JigsawX

Anyone have any tips on how to Harvest properly? This is all when their dead. I can only manage it 1/3rd of the time, the other 2/3 my guy just attacks till they fade away

Spoo

Anyone have any tips on how to Harvest properly? This is all when their dead. I can only manage it 1/3rd of the time, the other 2/3 my guy just attacks till they fade away

I just wait and see if those red beams spawn (letting you know you can harvest) -- if they don't, hit r1 to target lock, and then you can do it. If you are attacking, stop attacking, wait for the red beams. No red beams, hit r1.

It is super annoying it should just be automatic.

Can you only recover phantoma if the battle is over? I keep trying to lock onto the enemies I just killed to get phantoma but it never seems to let me until I've cleared the battlefield.

So is there any reason not to throw all your party members into the reserves slot as the start of missions?
Not really, there's a trophy or two related to not using everyone. But otherwise, go for it.

Can you only recover phantoma if the battle is over? I keep trying to lock onto the enemies I just killed to get phantoma but it never seems to let me until I've cleared the battlefield.
You can, harvesting is actually something you can use to deal damage.

Just press up after locking on and you will lock onto an already dead character, letting you harvest him.

So I just beat the Final Boss and I'm feeling kind of lost. Did I miss something somewhere?
Specify better what you didn't understand, that'd be easier to answer (spoiler tag please).

Specify better what you didn't understand, that'd be easier to answer (spoiler tag please).

Things started getting a little confusing during the final area of the game. It feels like some scenes were removed and I started losing the plot. Still have no idea why Machina and Rem were fighting too.

Is it better to keep a smaller group of characters leveled or try to keep everyone leveled across the board? I'm not far enough in to have an idea which is the best way forward.

Things started getting a little confusing during the final area of the game. It feels like some scenes were removed and I started losing the plot. Still have no idea why Machina and Rem were fighting too.

Well, I'll try to explain (I still think this was a bit too vague though).

First, Rem and Machina were fighting because after you decline the Crystal's offer, it goes on to offer Rem to become l'Cie, and she accepts it. Her focus is to fight the Empire's l'Cie (which is what Machina became), so that's why they have to fight each other.

As for the last chapter itself, basically what happens is that prophecy-thingy that they mention at the beginning of the game. Which is basically a judge (Cid) that comes to see if there's anyone worthy of becoming Agito, and if there isn't, he destroys the world (it's basically a cycle: world is born - no one is worthy of being Agito - World gets destroyed - repeat). You don't become Agito, but you kill Cid, so you end that cycle.
Hopefully that helps, if there's anything else you didn't understand, feel free to ask.

Some stuff are much clearer on a second playthrough.

Is it better to keep a smaller group of characters leveled or try to keep everyone leveled across the board? I'm not far enough in to have an idea which is the best way forward.

Depends on how much side content you plan on doing.

I guess the general "best way" to do it is to pick 6~9 characters and focus on those only.

And if you want to rush more through the game, then just pick 3 and go with them.

Well, I'll try to explain (I still think this was a bit too vague though).

First, Rem and Machina were fighting because after you decline the Crystal's offer, it goes on to offer Rem to become l'Cie, and she accepts it. Her focus is to fight the Empire's l'Cie (which is what Machina became), so that's why they have to fight each other.

As for the last chapter itself, basically what happens is that prophecy-thingy that they mention at the beginning of the game. Which is basically a judge (Cid) that comes to see if there's anyone worthy of becoming Agito, and if there isn't, he destroys the world (it's basically a cycle: world is born - no one is worthy of being Agito - World gets destroyed - repeat). You don't become Agito, but you kill Cid, so you end that cycle.
Hopefully that helps, if there's anything else you didn't understand, feel free to ask.

Some stuff are much clearer on a second playthrough.

Depends on how much side content you plan on doing.

I guess the general "best way" to do it is to pick 6~9 characters and focus on those only.

And if you want to rush more through the game, then just pick 3 and go with them.

Ah alright, how much additional story stuff is unlocked when going through the game a second time in terms of cutscenes and stuff.

Ah alright, how much additional story stuff is unlocked when going through the game a second time in terms of cutscenes and stuff.

Well, for one it helps to understand the cutscenes you've already seen (since now you know for sure what's going on), but it also adds a few cutscenes that make the whole overarching plot a bit easier to understand (it also adds new missions to the main story).

Seven is the fucking best so far. So many attacks

Seven is awesome. Got her Summer outfit already, just beat chapter 2.

Rolling with Seven, Sice and Cater.

Backup crew so far is Cinque, Deuce and Queen, tho I might swap Deuce for a proper ranged character like Trey or King.

Loving the game so far.

I wasn't recording anyway, but

why

CAlrZZdU8AAlu0T.jpg:large

You can, harvesting is actually something you can use to deal damage.

Just press up after locking on and you will lock onto an already dead character, letting you harvest him.

Yeah, I finally unlocked the Arena and spent some time screwing around trying to figure out the controls. Discovered the pressing up thing, along with me having to stand still to harvest properly. Also, having the cure magic be the same as dodge, and yet make you have to not be pressing the control stick at all to start the cure is really, really annoying. Probably less annoying in regular missions, but having to stop and cure only to die from a stray shot, after dodging three or four times accidentally got really annoying in the arena.

That being said, after screwing around with all the characters I think I've come up with my favorites. Eight is pretty awesome, he feels like a standard ARPG character with the different stances, and different directional attacks for each stance. I really enjoy doing combos with him. Trey is definitely my favorite of the range characters, the bow is pretty straightforward, his special attacks give him decent options and he has pretty awesome dodging capabilities early. My favorite magic user is probably Queen, once she gets her Twinspell thing she can lock down offensively if you want that, or use her abilities for more defensive/healing. Plus her regular attack isn't that bad.

So I think my main team I'm going to roll with is Eight-Trey-Queen. My secondary and tertiary teams will probably consist of Sice/Seven for melee, Deuce/Rem for magic, and Ace/King for range. I also like Jack, but he seems to be very situational heavy and useful in a one-on-one combat, properly timed counter battle. Cater seems like she'd be fun, but I haven't gotten a feel for her yet, and Cinque is probably my least favorite because while she's adorable, I just don't like her playstyle. Nine and Machina are fine, but Sice and Seven seem way more fun to play as.

It's amazing how unique each person plays as. I really, really like this game and I haven't even finished chapter 2 yet.

I think I might switch the VO to Japanese, I pretty much never do that but so far the members of Class Zero and that Moogle are driving me nuts. It sounds like they grabbed some random young teens off the street and had them read the lines, it's pretty painful.

sensui-tomo

I think I might switch the VO to Japanese, I pretty much never do that but so far the members of Class Zero and that Moogle are driving me nuts. It sounds like they grabbed some random young teens off the street and had them read the lines, it's pretty painful.

Its bad when better VAs are playing the extras of the game than the actual characters, yuri lowethall, JYB and some others are all soldiers or extras, the only VAs of note that are sorta known are machina's VA (he's kirito in SAO for the english dub or guan ping in Dynasty warriors) and Cid's VA( its steven blum aka that anime guy)

ironcreed

Banned
As dated as it may be, I love the slant towards more fast-paced, actiony combat and all of the completely different styles on offer. It also has more of a darker tone to it, which is welcome. It's pretty fun so far.

zoutlaw

Banned
This game...this fucking game! I love it to death.

Best final fantasy to me since FF9.

I adore its combat, music, story so far, the characters, the world, and everything in between.

My only complaint is not being able to carry more than one task at a time, but whatever.

If the story pans out well then this will easily shuffle up my favorite FF"s list. It looks like Square still knows wtf they are doing to some extent... FFXV was a total dud for me, but this is the shit.

i read where the RTS missions are skippable, but do you miss out on any important items by not doing them? i dont want to skip one only to have my ass handed to me by the next mission cuz im missing some op equipment

zoutlaw

Banned

Yeah the demo did nothing for me. Hold square to win, total easy mode, didn't feel the characters, and I don't expect much from it.

The game I thought it was going to be when we first kept seeing it as VS13, and what it is now, is a completely different game, and its for the worse right now.

I'll be waiting for reviews and impressions of that one for sure.

Cloudy

Banned
While I was impressed with the FF15 demo, I'm not feeling the character design at all. What were they thinking with Noctis?

I'm digging this game but is there no way to decrease the sensitivity of the camera? It's moves way to fast.

nope, no way. its bugged to be maximum speed when moving your character (its fine when standing still)

square enix rarely patch their FF games (not sure why? is it admitting there are bugs i guess?) so i'm not hopeful.. but you never know

i read where the RTS missions are skippable, but do you miss out on any important items by not doing them? i dont want to skip one only to have my ass handed to me by the next mission cuz im missing some op equipment
Not really, equipment is never really lost by not doing these missions.

Also, a tip for the RTS segments. If you have Trey or Cater at a decent level, just use them, their charged shots will pretty much one-shot every enemy troop.

At the start of chapter 3 and have several chars lvl 20+

Am i over-leveled enough yet? Playing on officer.
I don't remember very well, but I think you're a little overleveled, yeah =P

A few levels higher already gives you a pretty good advantage though, as levels in this game matter.

Yeah the demo did nothing for me. Hold square to win, total easy mode, didn't feel the characters, and I don't expect much from it.

The game I thought it was going to be when we first kept seeing it as VS13, and what it is now, is a completely different game, and its for the worse right now.

I'll be waiting for reviews and impressions of that one for sure.

It's a demo it's not really suppose to be hard. I'm sure the final version will sharpen the combat.

I really don't like the changes they made to the color scheme in this game and find it visually ... strange and lacking cohesion. Like someone took type 0 and threw glitter at it. Part of me wonders if I would have been better of simply downloading the original to my Vita.

Cloudy

Banned
I really don't like the changes they made to the color scheme in this game and find it visually ... strange and lacking cohesion. Like someone took type 0 and threw glitter at it. Part of me wonders if I would have been better of simply downloading the original to my Vita.

Can you explain this for folks who didn't play on psp?

Can you explain this for folks who didn't play on psp?

I think he's talking about all the shaders.

Which I think are great. The lighting, self-shadowing, and post-processing are all really nice. The uneven quality of the various character models is a little glaring at times, but I like the look overall.

Top Bottom