• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Kama_1082

Banned
Thank you both. Does it take away time when you go outside to grind, or does time only pass when you talk to the npc's with the "!" over their head?

tasks take away time as well as the "!" and taking Moglin's classes.

Protip: take every single moglin class that's offered. In some chapters you will be given a ton of XP.

Victrix

*beard*
Worth noting that a) you get a lot more time in later chapters and b) there's a lot more to actually explore if you wait until later.

If you try to go roaming around in the first few chapters, you have access to like three zones all with boring dominion cities and one cave.

... later you have access to more cloned cities and caves D:

Cornbread78

In answer to the third question, those are assists that "reinforce" you during battle and are always random. By using them, you earn SP(P) that can be used to purchase items and equipment from the Command Centre that you cannot find anywhere else. It is generally recommended that you only use them when replaying missions as they will take experience away from the members they replace.

That makes sense, it's going to be a lot of give and take decisions on this stuff. Are there any items only available by getting that SP aND buying at Tha base?

It "costs" 6 hours to go outside

Ouch, so much for grinding everyone's levels. .

nope, no way. its bugged to be maximum speed when moving your character (its fine when standing still)

square enix rarely patch their FF games (not sure why? is it admitting there are bugs i guess?) so i'm not hopeful.. but you never know

Ugh that really sucks.

I really love the game so far but I can only play for up to like an hour before I start to get a headache :'(

Kama_1082

Banned
That makes sense, it's going to be a lot of give and take decisions on this stuff. Are there any items only available by getting that SP aND buying at Tha base?

Ouch, so much for grinding everyone's levels. .
In the main menu, you can replay past missions to grind everyone up.

Masamuna

You can take people with you and I'm pretty sure you can just go to other towns to switch party members

Exactly. Utilize the save points in towns to switch outwhen you need to and grind away. Also, while I'm not positive for the rest of the game I've noticed that you're left on the world map after missions which means levelling at no cost.

Laws00

When did video game guides cost so damn much

I got the type-0 guide gamestop had one for 35 bucks only hard cover. Looked no soft cover.
Before then I went online saw the guide for 25 i think on amazon. Thats like 2 bucks tax and 3 shipping because its not over 35 bucks.

guide retails for 35 buck i guess i got a discount (lol) and paid about 33 for it

Kama_1082

Banned
When did video game guides cost so damn much

I got the type-0 guide gamestop had one for 35 bucks only hard cover. Looked no soft cover.
Before then I went online saw the guide for 25 i think on amazon. Thats like 2 bucks tax and 3 shipping because its not over 35 bucks.

guide retails for 35 buck i guess i got a discount (lol) and paid about 33 for it
Got mine for for 23 shipped on amazon.

Jawmuncher

The price of the guide on Amazon is why I bought it. Though I already have the game and the guide won't be here until next week. Will probably just play as is, and for the New game plus use it to see what I might have missed.

Victrix

*beard*
Chapter 7

Anyone know where the Iron Giant/airship NPC in Bazz moves to when you complete her task? I got the airship, went back, and she's uh... not there.

Gaz_RB

Chapter 4 is seriously where the game and story gets good.
Was thinking it would stick with its initial formula for way longer.

Pics_nao

I love Cristina Vee, the girl who plays Cinque. I almost always have to use a character she voices if given the opportunity, lol.

Same here. I never used Cinque for anything but summon or death fodder on PSP but Cristina Vee makes me have to use her.

sensui-tomo

so just wondering
when will I learn what the deal with all the cadets calling the scientist "Mother" will happen, I feel like i'm watching Advent children with the 3 silvered hair men all over agan
? Been having a fun time trying to figure out who i like playing the most, probably king but still trying out everyone.

RDreamer

so just wondering
when will I learn what the deal with all the cadets calling the scientist "Mother" will happen, I feel like i'm watching Advent children with the 3 silvered hair men all over agan
? Been having a fun time trying to figure out who i like playing the most, probably king but still trying out everyone.

Within a few minutes of playing?

They all call her mother because she's kind of the den mother to their class. She brought them all in and together. It's kind of like a girl scout troop calling their leader 'mother,' except moreso because they all go live at the academy away from any parents they might have

khaaan

Damn it, why do companies prevent footage capturing of some cutscenes? I wanted to watch the intro credits again and I'm certainly not going to sit through all those cutscenes again. Everything on YouTube either has the music removed due to copyright claims, the footage is skipped because they were recording from their PS4, or its IGN where they talk over the entire thing and take up space on the screen.

On the plus side, I watched the original which has a different intro song and its kind of cool to see how the tone had changed.

Chapter 7

Anyone know where the Iron Giant/airship NPC in Bazz moves to when you complete her task? I got the airship, went back, and she's uh... not there.
I'm not sure, but I think you lost her. I could never find that NPC again at least.

so just wondering
They call her Mother because she took care of them (and trained them) since they were kids, and she's also the one that revives/treats them, it's not like AC =X

I suppose there's more to that answer, but that's the main thing.

Damn it, why do companies prevent footage capturing of some cutscenes? I wanted to watch the intro credits again and I'm certainly not going to sit through all those cutscenes again. Everything on YouTube either has the music removed due to copyright claims, the footage is skipped because they were recording from their PS4, or its IGN where they talk over the entire thing and take up space on the screen.

On the plus side, I watched the original which has a different intro song and its kind of cool to see how the tone had changed.

You can rewatch videos from the library or the main menu.

Cloudy

Banned
Does this game come with a manual? I can't seem to find one. Or is the into video and History menu effectively the same thing

Rad-

Who do you guys think are the best and worst AI controlled characters? I don't like how AI controls Eight and Jack but seemed to do a decent job with King.

sensui-tomo

Within a few minutes of playing?

They all call her mother because she's kind of the den mother to their class. She brought them all in and together. It's kind of like a girl scout troop calling their leader 'mother,' except moreso because they all go live at the academy away from any parents they might have

Well i've been playing for a bit, just got to chapter 3
after the two l,cie fight in that cutscene
doing the kill strikes in the arena so i can get those alternate outfits + helps me test out each of the characters, so how bad is flute girl when it comes to kill strikes?

Who do you guys think are the best and worst AI controlled characters? I don't like how AI controls Eight and Jack but seemed to do a decent job with King.

Actually, if you equip Jack with the Avoid magic (or whatever it's called in the HD version =X), then the AI does a pretty good job, because whenever he attacks it will deal a lot of damage, and he pretty much never gets hit (upgrade the magic to not use much MP beforehand and he will last pretty much as long as you want). That tip goes for everyone though.

Queen and Rem tend to use magic more, so if you don't care about mana, they're pretty helpful.

But ultimately, none is very good, they're there for you to switch between them.

doing the kill strikes in the arena so i can get those alternate outfits + helps me test out each of the characters, so how bad is flute girl when it comes to kill strikes?

She can trigger it with Square + forward, if you have it.

It may seem like cheesing but I found one of the better strategies for those having trouble with long missions is throwing the class members you don't use as fodder in the reserve pool and changing to your "advanced guard" of say 6 when needed...

Made it to chapter 4, do I have a long way to go until the end? Bloodborne too soon.

8 chapters
total, some are bigger, some are smaller.

If you run through the game it shouldn't take too long (but the game will be harder since you're not stopping for anything).

She's actually pretty good at it, the little orb that flies around you does a lot of melee range attacks when enemies approach you so it proc a lot of killsights that are during the animation of the attack(like in arena when those guys come try to melee you, they'll explode instantly from the orb attacking them at the same time) and her forward+attack move is pretty fast unlike the rest. She's actually really strong imo, even if the gameplay is a bit boring, the fact she can move around while shooting and her insane stagger rate it seems makes her really strong, plus she can heal for "free" with the healing song.

I mostly play her as a support AI for my melees though, she plays her Concerto song pretty often which gives Aura+Protect to everyone and that's pretty nice. She also has a very large mana pool to cast heals and stuff.

Reached Chapter 4 last night. Still finding it quite enjoyable. I did quite a bit of leveling on Chapter 3 while waiting for the days to pass by and get to the mission section, so my guys were 18-23 when they started the final section of Chapter 3. Still had issues up near the end.

Kept trying to do those special SO challenges and failing, killing my best fighters lol. I love that dynamic personally. Got some pretty good rewards on other quests by doing a bunch of them before finishing.

Oh, and now that I finally figured out that hitting up on D-pad and then down on d-pad will use the equipped item, im not running around like a headless chicken whenever im low on health and no one is healing lol

RDreamer

After playing too much with Sice I'm now freaking terribly at killsighting with anyone else, lol. I keep falling out of range after a roll dodge.

After playing too much with Sice I'm now freaking terribly at killsighting with anyone else, lol. I keep falling out of range after a roll dodge.

I'm actually not a big fan of Sice for killsights, her range is surprisingly garbage considering the size of her weapon and she has a fair amount of delay to her attacks. Her dodge animation is godlike though so you can get in good positions very quickly so it generally works out fine, and her tornado thing when you have Aura+a bunch of malice charged is completely broken damage wise, so that's a good plus.

I alternate between Sice and Queen for my "main" char, I think Queen's better overall, she has the meh dodge roll but she can teleport right into melee range and her attacks are extremely fast, plus she mixes some magic stuff in there so you get good damage even against physical resistant enemies.

Btw am I supposed to find new weapons at some point? I'm still using the starting ones cause I'm cheap and didn't want to buy the very first vendor ones, and I haven't bothered doing SPP farming for the weapons from these, but I'm at like Chapter4 and I haven't seen anything else(vendor might have been upgraded though I came back to town and didn't check). Luckily it doesn't really seem to matter as I kill most mobs in 2-3hits(or 1 when Sice is charged up) which means killsights are 1hit kills instead of the yellow ones other than bosses and what not.

kiryogi

Banned
No. No no no no.

There is no bigger dub fan in any medium on any media on GAF and Type 0 has quite possibly the worst English voice acting/casting of any game I've played since Star Ocean 4. It is utterly inexcusable and the deluge of incredibly talented actors the put together is rendered completely useless by the voice director and translators.

Final Fantasy fucking X had better voice work than Type 0.

This so much this. I love Vee, respect Vee, even have stuff signed by Vee. (I follow her on twitter too) But folks fanboying the dub based off the actor/actresses alone IE some folks so happy that Heather Hogan/Colette is in this, yet not realizing how atrocious the Voice Direction is, is just absolutely blind and ignorant.

AdamVj23

Neo Member
OK, I haven't been able to find anyone with the same problem but is the game freezing periodically for anyone else? It happens ever so often but the game just hangs for a few seconds (doesn't affect the music or seemingly anything else) and then returns to normal.

I'm playing a US Xbox One digital copy on a UK Xbox and I've tried redownloading and installing it to no avail. None of my other titles do this (Type-0 happens to be my first US digital copy as that's what my PR contact sent) and it's really frustrating as I have no idea why it is happening! I know people use the US and other stores all the time without any issues, too. Any help would be great. Really taking the shine off the game as you can imagine.

I like this game 10x better than Final Fantasy XIII. My Steam timer for FF13 says 29 hour, I think I'm about halfway through. I literally got there by switching paradigms occasionally and then mashing the auto-combat button repeatedly. So, so boring game.

FF Type-0 however.. I love the combat system. But at the same time this game is hard! I just completed chapter 2, and I almost failed the last mission of the chapter because
the damn golems smashed over half of my all cadets before I realized what was going on

So, here is my question...how much grinding and world exploration is required? Some of my cadets have extremely hard time surviving in arena combat simulations. I die 30 seconds in or so. Are my skill configurations or gear inadequate? Am I playing wrong? Or is the game just that hard? I'm playing on "Officer" difficulty.

Also, are the expert trials possible to when my cadets are 20 levels below the trial levels?

Btw am I supposed to find new weapons at some point? I'm still using the starting ones cause I'm cheap and didn't want to buy the very first vendor ones, and I haven't bothered doing SPP farming for the weapons from these, but I'm at like Chapter4 and I haven't seen anything else(vendor might have been upgraded though I came back to town and didn't check). Luckily it doesn't really seem to matter as I kill most mobs in 2-3hits(or 1 when Sice is charged up) which means killsights are 1hit kills instead of the yellow ones other than bosses and what not.
There are more weapons, but I don't remember exactly when they start appearing (you might have unlocked something at one city or another, check the vendors in those.

Also, your gil in that game cries whenever you need to upgrade equipment in this game (unless you're not upgrading all 14 characters).

This so much this. I love Vee, respect Vee, even have stuff signed by Vee. (I follow her on twitter too) But folks fanboying the dub based off the actor/actresses alone IE some folks so happy that Heather Hogan/Colette is in this, yet not realizing how atrocious the Voice Direction is, is just absolutely blind and ignorant.
Yup. Square's localization teams are awful. I'm starting to think that the only reason KH games still come out with good VA over here is because of Disney.

They got a bunch of good VAs too...

OK, I haven't been able to find anyone with the same problem but is the game freezing periodically for anyone else? It happens ever so often but the game just hangs for a few seconds (doesn't affect the music or seemingly anything else) and then returns to normal.
I'm pretty sure you're the first one with that issue man.

At least the first one I've seen.

Might be a problem with your disc.

So, here is my question...how much grinding and world exploration is required? Some of my cadets have extremely hard time surviving in arena combat simulations. I die 30 seconds in or so. Are my skill configurations or gear inadequate? Am I playing wrong? Or is the game just that hard?

No grinding is really required.

The only thing is how big you keep your team. If you do sidequests and go to dungeons and whatnot, then keeping 6~9 characters leveled should be easy and requires no grinding whatsoever. If you just rush through the story, then it might be harder, so keep a team of 3-ish.

So, here is my question...how much grinding and world exploration is required? Some of my cadets have extremely hard time surviving in arena combat simulations. I die 30 seconds in or so. Are my skill configurations or gear inadequate? Am I playing wrong? Or is the game just that hard? I'm playing on "Officer" difficulty.

The game is relatively difficult, but I don't find the combat simulation to be a good gauge, you won't ever fight alone and while the AI is derp derp at times, if you have them set with Cure they will heal you fairly often so you don't have to heal yourself, plus they also kill/distract stuff, and there's no permanently spawning enemies besides boss fights, you fight for a little while then it stops and you can heal back to full, while the simulation just keeps going forever.

That said, mastering each playstyle you can definitely last for a while, and with some of them you can last forever once you unlock specific skills that give you sustain(for example Sice has an aoe that drains life and only costs AG, making it very easy to live forever as long as you're not getting crushed).

No grinding is really required.

The only thing is how big you keep your team. If you do sidequests and go to dungeons and whatnot, then keeping 6~9 characters leveled should be easy and requires no grinding whatsoever. If you just rush through the story, then it might be harder, so keep a team of 3-ish.
The game is relatively difficult, but I don't find the combat simulation to be a good gauge, you won't ever fight alone and while the AI is derp derp at times, if you have them set with Cure they will heal you fairly often so you don't have to heal yourself, plus they also kill/distract stuff, and there's no permanently spawning enemies besides boss fights, you fight for a little while then it stops and you can heal back to full, while the simulation just keeps going forever.

That said, mastering each playstyle you can definitely last for a while, and with some of them you can last forever once you unlock specific skills that give you sustain(for example Sice has an aoe that drains life and only costs AG, making it very easy to live forever as long as you're not getting crushed).

Thank you for the answers. Sounds like I'm playing with wrong mindset, I'll have a second look at my cadet configurations when I play the next time.

Jawmuncher

So is there like a general rule of how I should spend my time?
I'm ignoring the question marks from generic charcters unless Class 0 is around them.
I only just beat the first mission outside of school.

I'm ignoring the question marks from generic charcters unless Class 0 is around them.

Focus on Moglin's Lessons (make sure you have subtitles on!) then those from classmates. After that, Requests. Make certain you speak with the Mog right in front of the Great Portal too!

Gaz_RB

Talk to everybody unless you specifically need the time. Question marks don't cost any time.

Jawmuncher

Focus on Moglin's Lessons (make sure you have subtitles on!) then those from classmates. After that, Requests. Make certain you speak with the Mog right in front of the Great Portal too!

Talk to everybody unless you specifically need the time. Question marks don't cost any time.

So do I need to worry in particular about leveling up my team? I'm on cadet.
I already know i'm skipping those sorties. Just did one and was not at all fun.

Top Bottom