• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

JTripper

I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 so far and I'm really liking the game. It reminds me of the ps1 era FFs for some reason (I guess cause there's a school like VIII?).

Not sure I totally understand what's going on story-wise since it seems like they're throwing a bunch of lore terms at me but I like how they tell it in a history channel way.

The difficulty spike for the boss at the end of chapter 2 is ridiculous. Unless there's some strategy I'm missing, this boss is impossible for me to beat.

I think I used Trey. His arrows made it easy to hit the break-sight.

I'm pretty worn down at this point, but luckily my three best (Eight/Queen/Trey) are still alive. I've also got Nine/Sice/Cinque/Jack but I'm not as good with them in practice. The rest of my decent guys bit the bullet at some point throughout the mission. Problem is, when I switched to Trey I tried to attack the boss and got hit three times and immediately died. I'm going to have to rethink my strategy. I'm also tired and have been playing for hours. Should probably take a break and come back to it before I get too frustrated.

Wagram

I cheesed the hell out of a expert trial in Chapter 5 that was 20ish levels higher than me. I summoned an eidolon and dodged in a circle for 5 minutes.

So I finally got the arena unlocked so I could test of all of the characters. My top 5 would have to be:

(Spoilers are just for some promotion abilities you unlock at later levels)

1) Machina -
Why did no one tell me there was a character that can do giga drill breakers? His awakening ability is insane as well letting you gain full health and go berserk.

2) King -
kickass dual revolvers and can fight close range effectively with his kicks and point blank shot and long range thanks to his abilities

3) Eight -
Has great dodges and his aggressive style is amazing and incredibly fun.

4) Jack -
Playing the waiting game provides great results due to his counters and dodges that places him conveniently behind an enemy for most of the time a one hit kill.

5) Seven -
Has very diverse move sets with her whip blade and I like her elemental moves.

Dominator

Started it up tonight, and the blur doesn't really affect me luckily. The camera overall however just feels strange. When I stop moving it, it seems to adjust itself about a hair and I can notice it.

Other than that though, the game is cool. I like the combat so far and I'm hoping to dig into it more over the weekend.

Rad-

About that Jack... WTF he just one hit kills almost everything. All I do is spam dodge and then square and things die.

I just realised that in combat, in the start menu under the "how to play" section, they give you a examples of some of the unique abilities for whatever character you are playing as

eg if you play as Jack and press down + square your sword will charge and you do more damage

Eight - left or right + square does a sidestep and they encourage you to attack from the rear to increase critical hit rate

Nine - down + square for a wide attack with the lance

Can't wait to test everyone else's.I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how well they were able to make each of the 14 feel different to play as

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really enjoying it so far, I actually prefer this over FFXV too, perhaps that'll grow on me or there's more too it, but Type 0 is way more fun to play.
Also the main theme is beautiful.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Waiting for this to arrive soon...

Question: is there any specific scenario in the game where it forces you to use certain characters or will it allow me to pick whomever whenever I want? Leveling up all 14 characters seem like a herculean task I'd rather stick with probably 3-6 that I like and go with them throughout the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Waiting for this to arrive soon...

Question: is there any specific scenario in the game where it forces you to use certain characters or will it allow me to pick whomever whenever I want? Leveling up all 14 characters seem like a herculean task I'd rather stick with probably 3-6 that I like and go with them throughout the game.

There's some missions where you do have to use more than 3, missions where you split into groups, and events which cause you to lose your active character for that mission.

Even that aside, each mission has a bunch of characters that are 'better suited' to them (the UI marks out which ones)

That being said, yeah, virtually everyone ends up having a go-to trio anyway.

I like the game way more than I would have thought so far. Compared to the FF XV demo, where I hated every character, I really like the characters here and how many there are.

Only complaint is obviously the camera (what the hell were they thinking) and the uneven remaster quality, the "remade" parts look great, but there are too many obvious PSP models and textured. Nothing that's hurting the game too much so far though. I hope they fix the camera in a patch, that shouldn't be impossible to do. Oh and it's fantastic on the Vita too :D

Can you explain this for folks who didn't play on psp?

For one thing, the graphics are kind of all over the place. The basic character models look different from those used in the prerendered non CG scenes (the scenes made to look the PSP is pulling them off, even if it isn't), not to mention a little better. I seem to remember something about them being the CG models, but I'm not sure how true this is. These kind of inconsistencies combined with the special effects etc added by the PS4 give the game a very strange look. It feels a bit like if Square were to port FFVIII and suddenly the main characters were replaced with their CG models, whereas everything else more or less looked the same.

Then there's things like the color scheme changing, with some sort of yellow filter being placed on the opening scene that ends up, imo, somehow deflated.

Neifirst

Is there an easy way to harvest phanto...whatever? It says to use square, but my characters just keep attacking over the fallen enemies instead.

RDreamer

Really falling in love with the game. It has some real issues, for sure, but it's still got a lot of charm. I'm especially loving it now that I swapped what I'm playing it on. The game looks fucking gorgeous on my lower res projector. There's no more of that weird ass shininess on everything, and the mismatched textures go away. This is why I wish there was a Vita release, too, though. The game does not look good at 1080p. Midway between psp and 1080, though, it look gorgeous.

Got through Chapter 3 and into chapter 4 and I'm liking the story, too.

Really wish they had made that silent character, what's-her-name not so goddamned infuriatingly dumb. Then her getting shot in chapter 4 would have had more impact :X

I beat that boss in 30 seconds despite being a few levels lower. Range attacks are your friend.

Came back to the fight this morning and beat him on my first try. My Eight is OP - just dodged until he landed and then beat the shit out of him. On to Chapter 3!

dcassell

Banned
Got through end of chapter 2 last night. Underestimated the difficulty and only had 2 party members left for the final commander. Realized that wasn't the final boss and flipped out. First member died instantly, but I was able to take it down with King and get it locked into a cycle of weak points. He'd fall after hitting the first one and King could easily hit over and over again. Lucky win, love the difficulty

Brew124

Also I'm kinda digging the english VA

Except Cinque who is a human moogle
And Rem if I hear MAHKINAH one more time I'll slit your throat

I love Cristina Vee, the girl who plays Cinque. I almost always have to use a character she voices if given the opportunity, lol.

I love Cristina Vee, the girl who plays Cinque. I almost always have to use a character she voices if given the opportunity, lol.

No. No no no no.

There is no bigger dub fan in any medium on any media on GAF and Type 0 has quite possibly the worst English voice acting/casting of any game I've played since Star Ocean 4. It is utterly inexcusable and the deluge of incredibly talented actors the put together is rendered completely useless by the voice director and translators.

Final Fantasy fucking X had better voice work than Type 0.

Kama_1082

Banned
I'm on the 1st mission of Ch 7 and probably gonna finish the game today. I'm at 25 hrs right now. I feel a little burned out so I'll tackle it sometime this afternoon. But overall, I really like the game.

RPGCrazied

Been busy couple days, so I couldn't play. But I have like 2 hours left, can't leave town, and I don't know how to spend my last 2 hours, do I need to force the time to expire by talking to the guy or what?

Cornbread78

Quick questions:

- can you only change party members at the save crystals?
- can you go in and out of the Academy to switch characters to level them up?
- when I started the 2nd mission it prompted me to allow subs, so I said yes, but random players jumped in.. who are they and should I be using them?

Quick questions:

- when I started the 2nd mission it prompted me to allow subs, so I said yes, but random players jumped in.. who are they and should I be using them?
Yes
Yes, after you finish the first RTS mission you can freely leave Akademia to do whatever as long as you have 6 hours to spare.
No idea on the third one, I haven't used those assists

Kama_1082

Banned
Quick questions:

- No, you can't change party members during a mission, when you start a mission, you choose your reserves and the main party. This is all you can do.

- You can change the main character and take control to level them up

- Subs are a bad idea during main missions because they take away XP from your party.

Quick questions:

In answer to the third question, those are assists that "reinforce" you during battle and are always random. By using them, you earn SP(P) that can be used to purchase items and equipment from the Command Centre that you cannot find anywhere else. It is generally recommended that you only use them when replaying missions as they will take experience away from the members they replace.

Cornbread78

Yes
Yes, after you finish the first RTS mission you can freely leave Akademia to do whatever as long as you have 6 hours to spare.
No idea on the third one, I haven't used those assists

- No, you can't change party members during a mission, when you start a mission, you choose your reserves and the main party. This is all you can do.

- You can change the main character and take control to level them up

- Subs are a bad idea during main missions because they take away XP from your party.

Thank you both. Does it take away time when you go outside to grind, or does time only pass when you talk to the npc's with the "!" over their head?

Top Bottom