• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

Wagram

The game is relatively difficult

I have to disagree with this assessment outside of Expert Trials. I have not power leveled or done anything of the sort on Officer difficulty. This game is not challenging at all if you take advantage of killsight and killbreaks. Most end chapter bosses go down in less then 30 seconds.

So do I need to worry in particular about leveling up my team? I'm on cadet.
I already know i'm skipping those sorties. Just did one and was not at all fun.

Leveling up between missions is mostly completing Tasks in the world map and going through dungeons.

Other than that, you're fine doing whatever you want.

I have to disagree with this assessment outside of Expert Trials. I have not power leveled or done anything of the sort on Officer difficulty. This game is not challenging at all if you take advantage of killsight and killbreaks. Most end chapter bosses go down in less then 30 seconds.

The damage most mobs do is pretty high, so you can die pretty easily. I guess wiping entirely is another story though, since you have 14 characters, but overall I wouldn't say it's like easy. I don't think it's hard, but I don't consider myself an average gamer either, that's why I'd think it's not particularily easy.

DNAbro

Am i the only one who is using everyone? I constantly switch between characters, everyone is underleveled (so much so that I had to drop the difficulty down) but I really like playing like this. Everyone is now 28/29 for a 33 mission.

Last mission was 23-24 for a 32(i think)

On the Chocobo breeding aspect of the game:

I was pleasantly surprised that the
100 chocobo bred
trophy was that easy...I didn't know you could have the
Gyzahl Greens sometimes give you 99 Chocobos
:D

Cloudy

Banned
Am i the only one who is using everyone? I constantly switch between characters, everyone is underleveled (so much so that I had to drop the difficulty down) but I really like playing like this. Everyone is now 28/29 for a 33 mission.

Last mission was 23-24 for a 32(i think)

I use everyone as well. Still trying to beat the Chapter 2 boss lol. I will not give in and turn the difficulty down to Cadet :)

Victrix

*beard*
That was one of the worst last boss fights I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

This game is a mess. The overarching story is interesting, the setting is cool, but the execution and gameplay are just ugh.

There is some incentive to replay the game, but when you have 300 moves you can use that boil down to 'dodge a lot and killshot with a ranged basic attack', why bother?

Something else that totally baffles me - they have some really good (great even) art and world design in some places in the game, but then the bulk of the game they have you in incredibly drab and repetitive city alleys or literal caves.

It's embarassing that after the trainwreck of the 13 'trilogy', this game is getting praised. How badly starved are western gamers for a non shitty jrpg or FF?

It also sucks that the world is so interesting, I'd love to explore it more, but not with this game!

On the upshot, FF14 v2 and Bravely Default are great, and FF15 looks promising, so maybe I can put this dark era of Square behind me and forget about it moving forward.

Man, getting Queen's dash ability is a total game-changer for playing her. She went from primarily magic to be able to duck in and one-hit KO enemies with a good stab, or go in, stab, and leap away, while keeping magic in her arsenal.

Yeah, Eight-Trey-Queen is the best team right now. I'm starting to get the hang of Sice and Cater, though.

no shit it's a literal psp game

I feel like some people are expecting too much out of the graphics, really.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah except there are plenty of other areas in the game that are very much not caves.

It's a failure of design, not technical capabilities.

Yeah except there are plenty of other areas in the game that are very much not caves.

It's a failure of design, not technical capabilities.

It's a failure of game design to not fit more than 3.6gb worth of content in two UMDs and reuse assets for side areas of the game?

This game is a great failure then.

zoutlaw

Banned
Just hit Chapter 5. Stuff is getting real and having good build up of events.

I'm excited to see how it shakes out.

That said I felt the Chapter 3/4 combo was super long, and it broke up some of the good pacing the game had with previous chapters.

How many chapters total are there?

Thoraxes

It's embarassing that after the trainwreck of the 13 'trilogy', this game is getting praised. How badly starved are western gamers for a non shitty jrpg or FF?

From 2012 lol http://www.novacrystallis.com/2012/08/final-fantasy-type-0-import-review/

RYXPoHs.jpg

I like Type-0, but not as much as the XIII Trilogy.

So... This game worth the $60 on its own? I'm fairly interested, but have no money at the moment, thankfully a birthday is coming up so I thought I'd check the general opinion on NeoGAF.

If its not worth $60 on its own, would those that have an interest in FFXV say that the "day one" edition with the demo is worth that?

lewisgone

So... This game worth the $60 on its own? I'm fairly interested, but have no money at the moment, thankfully a birthday is coming up so I thought I'd check the general opinion on NeoGAF.

If its not worth $60 on its own, would those that have an interest in FFXV say that the "day one" edition with the demo is worth that?

If you don't really care about graphics, aren't prone to motion sickness in games, and value a lot of content in a game (along with replayability), I would say it's worth a look. The combat is largely very fun with a relatively high skill-ceiling and the game is more of a traditional JRPG than you may expect. The XV demo is really great in my opinion but won't hold your attention for longer than a couple days so if you aren't desperate to experience the game, I wouldn't let it weigh on your decision too much (as in, if you don't think you'll like Type-0, the demo won't justify it).

It basically boils down to: how can you deal with PSP limitations? And how can you get used to motion blur? =P

Because those are the games problems (the first one is not even a problem per se though, but you can feel it while playing it).

If you can deal with these two things, then go for it. Otherwise the demo is a good addition to make the price worth (I think if you get it digitally you still get the demo btw).

Yeah I can say without hyperbole that the first three chapters of this game, despite its numerous flaws, are more enjoyable than the entirety of XIII.

It has some really nice panty shots.

VRMN

*sigh*

The combat system is deep for an action RPG, the characters are reasonably differentiated and likable, the story is decent from what I've played. I might have hesitated if the XV demo hadn't been there, but now that I've played it myself I think it's worth the entry fee on its own. A bit steep, considering the origins, but I've been starved for a decent RPG and this has sated me.

Bog

Junior Ace
Having attack and harvest on the same button is maddening.

I'm on what I believe is the end of Chapter 2. Is there any way to not get one-hit by the door guardians who stomp around while you're attacking the doors? I lost almost everyone in that one battle. That left only the girl with the magicite gun to run through 80% of the level (only to get one-hit by the real boss).

VRMN

I'm on what I believe is the end of Chapter 2. Is there any way to not get one-hit by the door guardians who stomp around while you're attacking the doors? I lost almost everyone in that one battle. That left only the girl with the magicite gun to run through 80% of the level (only to get one-hit by the real boss).

I honestly just spammed the doors to get them down as fast as I could. I did manage to do it without losing anyone, since the AI managed to dodge the golem long enough for me to bust through. I might suggest ranged attackers for the mission because of that part and the boss. It's easier to keep track of the golem when you have some distance on it. Plus the boss is a pain in the ass if you're melee focused.

Is it really that bad??

The story doesn't seem that bad from what I've seen so far. The direction is horrid, however; it really shows that it was a very technically limited PSP game with the in engine cutscenes. A lot of shot reverse shot dialog. And for the love of all that is good, turn on the Japanese voices. Their direction seems fine...the English voices are painful.

Skulldead

I've just finish Chapter 6... and i'm not feeling it....which really suprise me... I'm alone ? (i'm a big FF fan)

I don't know the time constraint don't mix well with the fact that you can only take one Request at Time in School.... So time management is really restrictive, really easy to make mistake and lose precious time. Also The fact i can't change party when i want is pretty bad game design. If i want to level them up i always have to go back to a freaking save point. Same for changing equipement. But i can understand propably because the limitation of the PSP...I like the character...but the story is just ok. But the battle System is amazing, whit every character feel unique.

But my biggest Concern is how leveling make the Stat and equipement gathering complety useless. Got the same problem with Xenoblade, stat and damage always scale with level... Other then Magic stat, i really don't see the point to farm equipment. You can have the best equipement in the game, but if he's 15 level lower then the mob, you still doing shitty damage and get one-two shot.

I heard NG+ is much more fun, i'll see.

k1t4j

I am enjoying this game a bit too much I am on chapter 4 the recommended level is 27? I am 35 with most my characters :p

If you don't really care about graphics, aren't prone to motion sickness in games, and value a lot of content in a game (along with replayability), I would say it's worth a look. The combat is largely very fun with a relatively high skill-ceiling and the game is more of a traditional JRPG than you may expect. The XV demo is really great in my opinion but won't hold your attention for longer than a couple days so if you aren't desperate to experience the game, I wouldn't let it weigh on your decision too much (as in, if you don't think you'll like Type-0, the demo won't justify it).
I don't really have a problem with motion sickness in games, and MGS Peacewalker's PSP port was fine for me, so I think visually speaking this game checks out for me. As for the combat, would you say it has a "character action" type feel, or more something like Dynasty Warriors? I prefer to have characters with high skill ceilings, and lots of gameplay complexity to master through skill alone. Dynasty Warriors is more button mashy than something like DMC in my opinion, so which side would this game fall on. As for JRPG elements, I'm guessing lots of attacks are unlocked through leveling? Oh and for XV I'm mostly just mildly interested, looking forward to the game proper but thought I'd ask about the demo.
It basically boils down to: how can you deal with PSP limitations? And how can you get used to motion blur? =P

Because those are the games problems (the first one is not even a problem per se though, but you can feel it while playing it).

If you can deal with these two things, then go for it. Otherwise the demo is a good addition to make the price worth (I think if you get it digitally you still get the demo btw).
Like I said, I'm fine with Peacewalker. I don't expect graphics that compete with next-gen, just graphics that are artistically pleasing. This game seems to have undergone a visual overhaul that irons out most of the kinks in terms simply low resolution textures hanging around so it's simplistic look is fine for me.
Might as well ask, are you referring to the fact that playing a female character and doing a dodge roll can sometimes cause this, or are you actually saying the game actively positions the camera for these? If the former, whatever. If the latter, it would be kind of weird for an FF game I think.
And for the love of all that is good, turn on the Japanese voices. Their direction seems fine...the English voices are painful.
Oh cool, I thought that only Duscae was dual-audio. Even though I'm aware that both probably use "dubtitles". That is to say, the localization's changes to dialogue persist, even when the actual dialogue says something slightly different in the original language. An example would be Ignis acting distant from Noctis in English vs Being close enough to him to simply call him "Noct".

From what brief snippets I've heard, I'd probably play both in Japanese with subs. Maybe see if I can catch a few dialogue changes with my developing Japanese skills.

Someone talked about getting one-shotted as Ifrit too a while back.

This is weird, in the PSP version you could totally fight Golem with Ifrit...

When you don't have to destroy the the door, run, and when you have to destroy the door, I guess either use someone that's good at dodging or keep summoning Ifrit. But that's really weird.

Is it really that bad??
The VA direction is bad, the cutscenes/story is not.

Square's localization teams are not very good, you can fix that by just using JP voices... Which are fantastic.

But my biggest Concern is how leveling make the Stat and equipement gathering complety useless. Got the same problem with Xenoblade, stat and damage always scale with level... Other then Magic stat, i really don't see the point to farm equipment. You can have the best equipement in the game, but if he's 15 level lower then the mob, you still doing shitty damage and get one-two shot.
Weapons actually make a lot of difference (the ones you find in dungeons and other places, and the ones that give you more than just attack are amazing).

Like, I got an weapon for Eight that made him kill enemies faster by comboing them than by waiting for counter attacks.

The elemental stuff is good too.

Like I said, I'm fine with Peacewalker. I don't expect graphics that compete with next-gen, just graphics that are artistically pleasing. This game seems to have undergone a visual overhaul that irons out most of the kinks in terms simply low resolution textures hanging around so it's simplistic look is fine for me.

Might as well ask, are you referring to the fact that playing a female character and doing a dodge roll can sometimes cause this, or are you actually saying the game actively positions the camera for these? If the former, whatever. If the latter, it would be kind of weird for an FF game I think.
Then the biggest problem I think will be the motion blur.

As for the type of action, this doesn't really fit DW or character action really. It relies on learning enemy patterns and your own characters animations. Some characters can do combos, but you're never styling on enemies.

And for the panties shots, it's the former... Except for one scene.

Is it really that bad??

The cutscenes between missions consist of various 2 person conversations that have very little to do with the playable characters. It's like trying desperately to tell this grand war story, but none of the important characters have any impact on the actual gameplay. It would be like if FF13's cutscenes were just Barthandelus and Jihl Nabaat talking about shit.

The few moments when the playable character are in the cutscenes, it's just a bunch of slow-witted one-liners that offer the vaguest insight into their "character." Like "Dumb girl says something dumb! Smart girl tells her to be quiet!" I've never played a JRPG that cared less about it's playable party.

The cutscenes between missions consist of various 2 person conversations that have very little to do with the playable characters. It's like trying desperately to tell this grand war story, but none of the important characters have any impact on the actual gameplay. It would be like if FF13's cutscenes were just Barthandelus and Jihl Nabaat talking about shit.

The few moments when the playable character are in the cutscenes, it's just a bunch of slow-witted one-liners that offer the vaguest insight into their "character." Like "Dumb girl says something dumb! Smart girl tells her to be quiet!" I've never played a JRPG that cared less about it's playable party.

Hmm there's quite a lot of character developpement so far(chapter 3 or 4) for some of the characters(well mostly Ace/Rem/Machina), but it's entirely done in the optional side quest content, the main quest is very much about the rest of the events that are unfolding while you're doing your own thing. Overall I kinda like it.

VRMN

The dodge rolls, if they provide...insight...into the female characters' undergarments, it's so slight as to be unnoticeable. I think you have to actively try if you're into that sort of thing. Unfortunately, I can't say it's completely inadvertent. I took a clip of Cinque's victory animation...I'll let it speak for itself.

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/game...ter&scid=57080100-b2d0-4d01-a056-37f5405823eb

Then the biggest problem I think will be the motion blur.

As for the type of action, this doesn't really fit DW or character action really. It relies on learning enemy patterns and your own characters animations. Some characters can do combos, but you're never styling on enemies.

And for the panties shots, it's the former... Except for one scene.
Hmm, motion blur I can tolerate, and one scene isn't egregious. So its maybe, more like the Souls games? Not necessarily in complexity, but in exploiting animations and striking at opportune moments? Since you mentioned it when replying to someone else in your post, how varied are the weapons? Do they actually sometimes allow entirely different attack strategies or moves?
I took a clip of Cinque's victory animation...I'll let it speak for itself.

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/game...ter&scid=57080100-b2d0-4d01-a056-37f5405823eb

I suspect what they were trying to go for was that she'd be simply adjusting her skirt, but that does look, off.
(BTW, don't know how this happened but the quote of my post is for some reason "Bog" and not my username. No big deal, but I had to double check to see that your were replying to me since it didn't highlight as green.)

They do it on purpose, you can even get lacy panties if you wish... Some girls even have a special animation to pull down their skirts even though its too late... It's a really good game though, I didn't even really notice all the panty shots until it was pointed out, lol

Jawmuncher

The dodge rolls, if they provide...insight...into the female characters' undergarments, it's so slight as to be unnoticeable. I think you have to actively try if you're into that sort of thing. Unfortunately, I can't say it's completely inadvertent. I took a clip of Cinque's victory animation...I'll let it speak for itself.

Her ass must have itched something fierce during that fight. Seriously though WTH.

Camisado

Really disappointed with this game so far. Terrible start to the story and I'm just not clicking with the battle system at all either :/

Hmm, motion blur I can tolerate, and one scene isn't egregious. So its maybe, more like the Souls games? Not necessarily in complexity, but in exploiting animations and striking at opportune moments? Since you mentioned it when replying to someone else in your post, how varied are the weapons? Do they actually sometimes allow entirely different attack strategies or moves?

In that specific aspect, I suppose it is closer to a Souls game. Knowing how long your animations are, or in knowing these opportune moments, yeah. But you're not managing stamina, the battles are way faster and you also have all the magic and abilities and stuff.

As for the weapons, you have 14 characters, each with their own weapon. You get upgrades, but each character can only upgrade in their own weapon class (the guy that uses a katana can only upgrade into a stronger katana; the guy that uses pistols can only upgrade to pistols, etc.). Different weapons will give more damage, and sometimes it will also give some effects (elemental damage, more mana/magic). Oh, and you can switch between them, it's not a "pick one and stick with it" kind of thing.

Top Bottom