• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

So I've finally sat down to play this properly. How the hell do you use items that you've equipped? Like potions, rather than having to go to the menu. Shit is getting my killed.

Some girls even have a special animation to pull down their skirts even though its too late...
?
It's a really good game though,
Good to hear it!
In that specific aspect, I suppose it is closer to a Souls game. Knowing how long your animations are, or in knowing these opportune moments, yeah. But you're not managing stamina, the battles are way faster and you also have all the magic and abilities and stuff.
I've never even played a Souls game yet (not really, a few minutes on my backlog Steam copy of Dark Souls doesn't count), so I'm not attached to it being similar in the stamina management or anything. Although I have heard another similarity might be that certain enemy attacks can take giant chunks of health.
As for the weapons, you have 14 characters, each with their own weapon. You get upgrades, but each character can only upgrade in their own weapon class (the guy that uses a katana can only upgrade into a stronger katana; the guy that uses pistols can only upgrade to pistols, etc.). Different weapons will give more damage, and sometimes it will also give some effects (elemental damage, more mana/magic). Oh, and you can switch between them, it's not a "pick one and stick with it" kind of thing.
Sounds nice and varied. I assume they each have their own model to distinguish each?

Oh and I've heard certain summons can be played as? How often can this happen, is it at will or only on certain missions? And how detailed are their combat styles?

zennyzz

?

Good to hear it!

I've never even played a Souls game yet (not really, a few minutes on my backlog Steam copy of Dark Souls doesn't count), so I'm not attached to it being similar in the stamina management or anything. Although I have heard another similarity might be that certain enemy attacks can take giant chunks of health.

Sounds nice and varied. I assume they each have their own model to distinguish each?

Oh and I've heard certain summons can be played as? How often can this happen, is it at will or only on certain missions? And how detailed are their combat styles?

all the summons save for one are playable and they're as varied as the player cast. The biggest issue is that they cost a MC to use.

So I've finally sat down to play this properly. How the hell do you use items that you've equipped? Like potions, rather than having to go to the menu. Shit is getting my killed.

In the items menu, you can set ONE item as a shortcut. The shortcut is Down on the D pad for items, set it to potions or whatever and you can pop them whenever. You see your shortcut item in the corner of the UI when playing, I think it defaults to potion when you start the game. I'd also recommend switching one of your AI controlled char to Cure on defense move, they'll heal you pretty often, works especially well with Rem or Deuce since they have gigantic mana pools and Rem can pretty much regen all her mp using her skills anyway.

Oh, okay, then on a basic level I suppose you can compare the two.

And yes, the characters are varied (in appearance and playstyles).

And yes, you can play as summons, but they are really just to wreck stuff up, you don't have to think much =P, they one shot most enemies and require very little thinking (but you have a limited time to use them, as they don't last long). At most you have to choose between AoE damage and single target damage.

They are fun though, and you can use them in any mission (main story or side mission), but it will kill the character you are currently using (you have to sacrifice him/her to summon).

ZeroX03

Banned
RYXPoHs.jpg

Kagari plz

And yes, the characters are varied (in appearance and playstyles).
Oh, I was talking about the weapons :p. That'd be pretty weird if the characters didn't have unique models, although since I mentioned Peacewalker, you could have thought I believed the game had a "collect soldiers" element. So yeah, like Peacewalker the game could be believed to have repeating generics models.
And yes, you can play as summons, but they are really just to wreck stuff up, (..) They are fun though, and you can use them in any mission (main story or side mission), but it will kill the character you are currently using (you have to sacrifice him/her to summon).
Awesome. As long as they aren't exclusive to specific missions they are cool. It adds a new angle of depth that way instead of just being a one-off feature.

Oh, I was talking about the weapons :p. That'd be pretty weird if the characters didn't have unique models, although since I mentioned Peacewalker, you could have thought I believed the game had a "collect soldiers" element. So yeah, like Peacewalker the game could be believed to have repeating generics models.

Awesome. As long as they aren't exclusive to specific missions they are cool. It adds a new angle of depth that way instead of just being a one-off feature.

Oh =X, okay, I misunderstood that.

Anyway, I don't think the weapons do actually. I remember some of them changing, but I never payed attention to their weapons when fighting, so I'll say no, I don't think they do.

And yes, summons are more than just a set piece thing, for sure.

Teknoman

This game's story escalated quickly. Dropping an
Ultima Bomb
on a country that hasn't even been properly introduced to the player? Geez.

At any rate, nice on the crystal theme actually being the courtyard theme. I'll never get tired of variations of this.

Jawmuncher

Ultima Bomb

At any rate, nice on the crystal theme actually being the courtyard theme. I'll never get tired of variations of this.

I will say thought the Battle Theme for field battles is pretty weak. Wish whatever song in the beginning was the regular battle theme.

kiryogi

Banned
Nah this is why it's so GOAT. The detail put into it... From SE blog grabbed from gamefaqs
http://blog.jp.square-enix.com/reishiki/2011/10/19/creators_message_-_tex_-.html

This isn't everything but here's the comments on the panties:

"Queen's are white to show her intelligent and honest personality.
White is a color that makes things look large so while a quick glance makes it stand out, on the other hand it makes her butt look to big and that would be no good.
Because of that, we made hers a bit hi-leg style, so they ended up quite sexy."

"With Rem, we went with the very first thing we thought of.
Light pink with fluffy frills on the trim. On the front, a ribbon.
Rem is strong of heart but, she's also a bittersweet girl that makes your heart go "KYUN!" moreso than the rest, so that's the direction we took it in."

"Next is Sice. This is one we fussed over a bit.
She's a strong, gallant, cool girl but she's always serious about her underwear too.
We designed hers with a "If you want to look, then why not?" kind of confidence, but a "but if you do, I'll kill you" kind of scariness bundled together.
The bottom is a glossy, shocking pink, and the sides are black lace."

"For underwear of the as-of-yet unrevealed Cinque, I was worrying about it all the way up until the end.
At first they were light purple lace, but it somehow gave the impression of an office lady in her 20's.
When you caught a glimpse, instead of feeling like "oh, lucky!", it was more like, "Oops, sorry, I accidentally saw", so I rejected that."

"BTW, my(Hoshino's) highest recommendation is...

Actually Seven's!! I was most fixated on hers
XD

Teknoman

Thats messed up that the crystals just jack people's memories of those who've died. I guess you could say it would help people go on, but it still doesnt seem right. I guess thats gonna play into the story later on.

The perviness of the underwear comments and the fact that they're all children is pretty disgusting. Seems like we can't get many JRPGs without that shit nowadays.

Vamphuntr

Ultima Bomb

If you think that was rushed you won't like the last 1/5 of the story haha

The perviness of the underwear comments and the fact that they're all children is pretty disgusting. Seems like we can't get many JRPGs without that shit nowadays.

Don't blame the game if people hack into the game to get a custom camera or if people pause the game at specific frames to look at it.

I also don't see how this is "perviness" from who made it, considering it was the texture artist's idea (Sayoko Hoshino - a woman) to do this in the first place.

kiryogi

Banned
Don't blame the game if people hack into the game to get a custom camera or if people pause the game at specific frames to look at it.

I also don't see how this is "perviness" from who made it, considering it was the texture artist's idea (Sayoko Hoshino - a woman) to do this in the first place.
This is correct. If you follow the blog posts, it is indeed a female developer and more so she was really passionate about this detail

kiryogi

Banned
http://andriasang.com/comynw/

Sayoko Hoshino, pictured right, was in charge of character texturing on Final Fantasy Type-0. For her contribution to Square Enix's ongoing "Creator's Message" series at the game's official blog, Hoshino decided to share details about her work on the game's panties.

Originally, the game was set to have black voids for the insides of the characters' skirts. This decision was made due to the system's specs limiting the amount of resources they could devote to the characters. However, the staff felt that because players would spend most of their time viewing the backs of the characters, the feeling of excitement would be much greater if there was more than just a black void inside the skirts.

Sample of Rem's panties from the demo.

As you might expect, adding in the panties wasn't a straightforward task. First off, the characters' legs were directly connected to the skirt, so there was actually little space for the panties. However, Hoshino feels that she and her staff were able to bring out uniqueness for each character.

Hoshino went character by character detailing the panties and undergarments, but I have to admit that I'm all panited out for the day, so if you want the details you're going to have to read it at the official blog.

Incidentally, Hoshino's favorite panties are Seven's. Something to keep in mind when you pick up Final Fantasy Type-0 next week.

Clawww

The cutscenes between missions consist of various 2 person conversations that have very little to do with the playable characters. It's like trying desperately to tell this grand war story, but none of the important characters have any impact on the actual gameplay. It would be like if FF13's cutscenes were just Barthandelus and Jihl Nabaat talking about shit.

The few moments when the playable character are in the cutscenes, it's just a bunch of slow-witted one-liners that offer the vaguest insight into their "character." Like "Dumb girl says something dumb! Smart girl tells her to be quiet!" I've never played a JRPG that cared less about it's playable party.

the cast is definitely over-large. it's also kind of awkward gameplay wise, because you've got more characters than you need with more moves than they can put to good use.

just finished Chapter 4.

Yikes. Whoever edited the ending dialogue and the in-engine cutscenes with the FMV style cutscenes needs to be fired. Horrible.

Dialogue feels chopped to hell, like they spliced various different takes together from mid-sentence even. It just jumps back and forth between the different styles of cutscenes and just feels bad.

It was an important section too in the character development, which I'm enjoying. Enjoying the characters. But wow, worst section of the game by far editing / dialogue wise.

Teknoman

the cast is definitely over-large. it's also kind of awkward gameplay wise, because you've got more characters than you need with more moves than they can put to good use.

I havent had a chance to put in time with Chrono Cross, but this sounds like that game's problem as well.

uh..so chapter 7

did that quiet girl get shot in the head and end up with a Phineas Gage situation or something
if you're referring to her personality, then no, you might have missed a cutscene or two, but she always acted like that =P
just finished Chapter 4.

Yikes. Whoever edited the ending dialogue and the in-engine cutscenes with the FMV style cutscenes needs to be fired. Horrible.

Dialogue feels chopped to hell, like they spliced various different takes together from mid-sentence even. It just jumps back and forth between the different styles of cutscenes and just feels bad.

It was an important section too in the character development, which I'm enjoying. Enjoying the characters. But wow, worst section of the game by far editing / dialogue wise.
The HD actually has it harder on those transitions, since the in-game cutscenes are prettier than the pre-rendered ones, so in the PSP that transition was way more smooth =P

I wonder if they should just have kept PSP's graphics instead of upgrading them so...

RDreamer

The HD actually has it harder on those transitions, since the in-game cutscenes are prettier than the pre-rendered ones, so in the PSP that transition was way more smooth =P

I wonder if they should just have kept PSP's graphics instead of upgrading them so...

I think the pre-rendered scenes look much better than the in game ones :x

Alucrid

Banned
Since no one mentions her again, I'm pretty sure she's dead.

oh, i thought the girl who kept saying "fricken" and talking to the evil captain was that same girl. if not, then it's just another npc i don't know in this game. i was halfway through before i saw Jack and knew who he was

also what sort of end of evangelion shit is going on right now at the end

oh, i thought the girl who kept saying "fricken" and talking to the evil captain was that same girl. if not, then it's just another npc i don't know in this game. i was halfway through before i saw Jack and knew who he was

also what sort of end of evangelion shit is going on right now at the end

Yeah, I edited, but it was too late =P

But yeah, I misread what you said, read that again.

Reveirg

I strongly disagree with this. It's half of the game's fun for me... Discovering the nuances in gameplay for each character. Keeps things fresh all the way through, which is pretty rare for lengthy RPGs.

Phenomic

So I just started chapter 7 and I just sky rocketed into insane pace town.

I know people were saying new game plus added scenes and stuff that you couldn't previously do. Without spoiling can someone go into some detail into what extent that is?

Bloodbourne is rapidly approaching and while I don't mind replaying Type 0 I guess Im curious how necessary it is to understanding how Type 0 really is.

I guess I almost feel like with the way the game is paced its intentionally skipping over tons and tons of details and maybe they're put in NG+? Somehow I doubt its that intense though.

So I just started chapter 7 and I just sky rocketed into insane pace town.

I know people were saying new game plus added scenes and stuff that you couldn't previously do. Without spoiling can someone go into some detail into what extent that is?

Bloodbourne is rapidly approaching and while I don't mind replaying Type 0 I guess Im curious how necessary it is to understanding how Type 0 really is.

I guess I almost feel like with the way the game is paced its intentionally skipping over tons and tons of details and maybe they're put in NG+? Somehow I doubt its that intense though.
The NG+ is mostly so you rewatch the stuff and you understand everything that's going on.

A lot of the new cutscenes are not very important (just a few).

The game's pace gets faster at the end but the story is all there, don't worry.

Mesoian

So...I've been playing this game for an hour. Most of the time when my characters die, it's because they're getting shot from off screen. The first boss of the game 1 hit killed everyone in my party, and the camera is so spastic in it's insistence on sticking to the back of the character that's in use instead of over them that it's making me motion sick.

Is this game ANY good? because if not, i'm putting it up. There is an amazing amount of poor design decisions being made with this thing.

ZeroX03

Banned
The soundtrack isn't that memorable for me other than the classic tune remixes but I love War: The White Weapon so much.

So...I've been playing this game for an hour. Most of the time when my characters die, it's because they're getting shot from off screen. The first boss of the game 1 hit killed everyone in my party, and the camera is so spastic in it's insistence on sticking to the back of the character that's in use instead of over them that it's making me motion sick.

Is this game ANY good? because if not, i'm putting it up. There is an amazing amount of poor design decisions being made with this thing.

Tabata needs some new eyes when it comes to camera. Type-0 and XV are both awful.

Top Bottom