• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

I keep going back-and-forth on this game...hot then cold, hot then cold. I think what I very much dislike is the presentation. Terrible transitions/cuts, be it between scenes or simply characters talking. It's very jarring, and feels cheap. Another hit on presentation: you always see characters talking to each other at the same angles, in the same way. I feel like I'm watching a high school play. And don't get me started on the opening. Way too many names of characters, kingdoms, etc. I wish games weren't so afraid to start slow and take its time.

And with that said, I know it sounds like I hate the game but I am really enjoying it at the moment. I'm about to wrap up chapter 5. I hope this game goes out with a bang.

Z3M0G

Just finished chapter 4. I find the story enthralling. Why do people find it nonsensical? Im assuming it is because of the clunky delivery? Akward cuts, unnatural flow of conversations, etc? The plot itself is fine... heck, its GREAT!

Im looking forward to things going bat-shit insane at some point, which i believe is said to happen.

Einhander

This game is so unhealthy for me. It encourages me to level up everyone evenly. As if I need more grinding right now. I'm playing FFXIV, lol.

Just finished chapter 4. I find the story enthralling. Why do people find it nonsensical? Im assuming it is because of the clunky delivery? Akward cuts, unnatural flow of conversations, etc? The plot itself is fine... heck, its GREAT!

Im looking forward to things going bat-shit insane at some point, which i believe is said to happen.

I think it's more the sheer amount of information the game drops on your lap in the first hour or so. You have four different countries, each with names that are rather unnatural, each called by different titles as well. I mean, it took me a while to understand that Rudrum was the dominion, and Milites was the Empire. The information is all there, but it is dropped on you so fast there is little time to absorb it. Now that I am on NG+ rewatching the opening cuts cenes is a lot less confusing, and they work better.

Honestly the game needed a better way to ease you into the world.

Beyond that though, in the first play through at least, the storytelling is choppy as all hell. We miss out on seeing major events, some get dropped into the Crystarium where you have to hope you remember what the scene was called because they sure as hell don't mark them. Again, the story isn't bad, but it could have been presented better. Maybe NG+ will blow my mind, ala Nier, but I wouldn't count on it.

Still, the game itself was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the story, warts and all, thus far.

I think it's more the sheer amount of information the game drops on your lap in the first hour or so. You have four different countries, each with names that are rather unnatural, each called by different titles as well. I mean, it took me a while to understand that Rudrum was the dominion, and Milites was the Empire. The information is all there, but it is dropped on you so fast there is little time to absorb it. Now that I am on NG+ rewatching the opening cuts cenes is a lot less confusing, and they work better.

Honestly the game needed a better way to ease you into the world.

Beyond that though, in the first play through at least, the storytelling is choppy as all hell. We miss out on seeing major events, some get dropped into the Crystarium where you have to hope you remember what the scene was called because they sure as hell don't mark them. Again, the story isn't bad, but it could have been presented better. Maybe NG+ will blow my mind, ala Nier, but I wouldn't count on it.

Still, the game itself was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the story, warts and all, thus far.

And I think they cut the names of the kingdoms in English, didn't they? Or do you still have Suzaku/Byakko/Soryu/Genbu in the English version?

Anyway, I never had problems with that, but I'm rather good with names, so I don't mind. I can see why people complained though.

That being said, I don't think I'd want another intro, that one is so good... Maybe add some explanation afterwards or something.

Probably a dumb question, but how do you start a main mission when there's still a few hours left in the "time to mission"?

Talk to the NPC in the Command Room (up the stairs from the Main Hall).

And I think they cut the names of the kingdoms in English, didn't they? Or do you still have Suzaku/Byakko/Soryu/Genbu in the English version?

Anyway, I never had problems with that, but I'm rather good with names, so I don't mind. I can see why people complained though.

That being said, I don't think I'd want another intro, that one is so good... Maybe add some explanation afterwards or something.

The names are Vermillion Bird, White Tiger, Black Tortoise and Azure Dragon. Personally I would have gone with keeping the four gods as they were, the game is HEAVILY asian influenced, especially Rubrum, though some of the localization puzzles the hell out of me. For example, how they got Caetuna from Setsuna baffles me, especially when it is pronounced the same way.

Again, I had the basics of each country, but the names were kinda a pain.

I wouldn't change the intro either, other than making it a TINY bit shorter, but FF and CG go hand in hand. Still the intro was powerful as hell. This is by far the darkest FF in history.

Don't know what else to say other than it felt like there were HUGE gaps in the story in the first play through. And unlike other games that flesh stuff out in subsequent runs, these felt VERY noticeable. I also feel that Class Zero needed a bit more fleshing out early on, you got to know them OK by the end, but for a VERY long time it's the Machina and Rem show.

zennyzz

The names are Vermillion Bird, White Tiger, Black Tortoise and Azure Dragon. Personally I would have gone with keeping the four gods as they were, the game is HEAVILY asian influenced, especially Rubrum, though some of the localization puzzles the hell out of me. For example, how they got Caetuna from Setsuna baffles me, especially when it is pronounced the same way.

Again, I had the basics of each country, but the names were kinda a pain.

I wouldn't change the intro either, other than making it a TINY bit shorter, but FF and CG go hand in hand. Still the intro was powerful as hell. This is by far the darkest FF in history.

Don't know what else to say other than it felt like there were HUGE gaps in the story in the first play through. And unlike other games that flesh stuff out in subsequent runs, these felt VERY noticeable. I also feel that Class Zero needed a bit more fleshing out early on, you got to know them OK by the end, but for a VERY long time it's the Machina and Rem show.

Then you'd call them Bae Hu, Quing Long, Zhu Que and and Xuan Wu.

Cause Byakko, Seiryu, Suzaku and Genbu aren't their original names. They're localizations.

Not counting that Caetuna isn't spelt Setsuna, just cause it's phonetically similar.

Geg

Oh geez, early chapter 7 spoilers

That Class 12 moogle saying he doesn't recognize a lot of the names in his class roster when before the mission he was worried that his students would try to keep fighting after having their magic sealed... :(

Mesoian

I hate every single boss in this game. Every one. They're all fucking poorly done.

"Let's make bosses wipe the party with one move, yeah, great idea, it'll make it 'challenging'"

Fucking stupid.

zennyzz

I hate every single boss in this game. Every one. They're all fucking poorly done.

"Let's make bosses wipe the party with one move, yeah, great idea, it'll make it 'challenging'"

Fucking stupid.

Those are only bosses you're supposed to lose to. my bigger issue is that half of the bosses you're supposed to lose to.

The magiteks are the only ones you're free to fight legit and they don't have One hit kills. Other than
Brionic's
which is telegraphed as all hell.

Fucking stupid.

I don't think there's a single one I dislike. This is how bosses should be, non-stop attacking and good luck to you.

The last boss sucks though...

zennyzz

Also fairly certain only
Nimbus
has a AoE one shot move.

The other "you're meant to lose bosses" don't.

and then everybody else doesn't.

Dansleif doesn't

Vajra doesn't

Qator doesn't

The dragon before shinryu doesn't

brionic does have a one shot move, but you've got to fuck up pretty hard to get caught by it

Fucking stupid.
I was in the same boat. And I dont mean this as an insult, but then I got a lot better at fighting. And now I love them. It's hard not to have a good time getting slapped about and slapping the enemy back with kickass rock music in the background.

cafemomo

Cid? He did suck, in a sense that it was the most easiest boss fight in the history of forever. I remember back with the PSP version expecting some super climactic boss fight. I was just down to Seven and Queen and I thought I would end up throwing my PSP across the room in frustration then all the sudden, power of friendship, crystals, yadda yadda yadda

Cid? He did suck, in a sense that it was the most easiest boss fight in the history of forever. I remember back with the PSP version expecting some super climactic boss fight. I was just down to Seven and Queen and I thought I would end up throwing my PSP across the room in frustration then all the sudden, power of friendship, crystals, yadda yadda yadda

I don't even mind if they healed me or put me in lvl 99 or made me fight a bit with everyone or whatever, actually that all could lead to a pretty cool boss fight. But then they're like "naw, here's a setpiece.", so lame.

I did Genbu last on that 4-way room before, so at least I had a pretty decent challenge before the last boss, so I just considered him to be the last boss =P

cafemomo

I don't even mind if they healed me or put me in lvl 99 or made me fight a bit with everyone or whatever, actually that all could lead to a pretty cool boss fight. But then they're like "naw, here's a setpiece.", so lame.

I actually enjoyed playing as the whole class one final time. Although cliché. it was awesome and somber at the same time.

On another note, I probably should of have imported the HD version of Type-0. Despite its lackluster final boss, the ending FMVs were a bit touching when I played it on the PSP. Granted I could only understand half of the stuff that they where blabbing, but it was pretty emotional. Then came the English HD remaster, and boy oh boy, Cinque ruined that moment for me with her vanille tier voice

I actually enjoyed playing as the whole class one final time. Although cliché. it was awesome and somber at the same time.

On another note, I probably should of have imported the HD version of Type-0. Despite its lackluster final boss, the ending FMVs were a bit touching when I played it on the PSP. Granted I could only understand half of the stuff that they where blabbing, but it was pretty emotional. Then came the English HD remaster, and boy oh boy, Cinque ruined that moment for me with her vanille tier voice

You know you can change the dub to Japanese right? The localization seems pretty alright outside of the voices so you get the JAP VA with pretty decent subtitles.

And yeah, the ending was pretty good. But I honestly think that a good boss fight would have made that ending better than Crisis Core and the like for that kind of ending.

cafemomo

You know you can change the dub to Japanese right? The localization seems pretty alright outside of the voices so you get the JAP VA with pretty decent subtitles.

And yeah, the ending was pretty good. But I honestly think that a good boss fight would have made that ending better than Crisis Core and the like for that kind of ending.

oh lol, there was an option for dubs in the game? man I feel stupid for not knowing that. But I don't think I have the will to plow through this game for a 6th time.

I think Type-0 has a better ending than Crisis Core. (but then again, I didn't care much about any of the VII related spinoffs) It's honestly one of my top 5 endings for FF games. It really sucked that they all had to die (but I have no sympathy for spear boy, fake Selphie and English VA Cinque :p) and a part of me wishes that the alternate ending was canon. Oh well, Tabata loves his girls. I expect a prequel Type-Rem or a Type-Seven soon from him :p

oh lol, there was an option for dubs in the game? man I feel stupid for not knowing that. But I don't think I have the will to plow through this game for a 6th time.

I think Type-0 has a better ending than Crisis Core. (but then again, I didn't care much about any of the VII related spinoffs) It's honestly one of my top 5 endings for FF games. It really sucked that they all had to die (but I have no sympathy for spear boy, fake Selphie and English VA Cinque :p) and a part of me wishes that the alternate ending was canon. Oh well, Tabata loves his girls. I expect a prequel Type-Rem or a Type-Seven soon from him :p
=P, this entire translation just seems to be made specifically for JAP VA/Eng Sub (since I'll guess they didn't have enough budget to get good EN VA).

But damn, 5 playthroughs? >.>
Anyway, yeah, the ending is great. But if we get a prequel with the female characters then I hope for Type-Cater too (and that may actually happen if they reuse the entire cast for that next Type game).

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Just finished chapter 4. I find the story enthralling. Why do people find it nonsensical?

Narration is all broken with events happening too fast or too frequently without the right amount of exposition or explanation. Thus it becomes confusing fast. I think the game was too ambitious for the hardware it was developed on and given the budget and time at disposal to develop it. Comparisons can be made I think with Crisis Core but there, everything, was way better developed and coherent than here. I'm actually surprised how Type-0 ranked on metacritic because for now it's a 5-6 game at its best, lower at its worse. Gameplay is pretty broken and terrible all around, presentation feels cheap, narration is confusing, it's really unpolished and let's not even start to talk how it ignores all the basic rules to good gameplay and level design. And oh... that fucking camera.

Chapter 4 for now btw, moving forward.

KeRaSh

So I barely got through chapter 3 yesterday with only 1 (and then actually 0) characters alive at the end...

It took me way too long to realize that the thing in the
sewers?
one shots everything. Then the
l'Cie
appears and one shots another guy.
By now all of my higher level characters are dead and I'm forced to move on with the rest of the underleveled crew.
I then finally reach the boss with the last three characters and realize it's not actually the boss. By the time i reach the actual boss only the Flute character is alive
lol
I managed to kick the boss' ass by
flinging his shit back at him
Oh, wait! There's
another boss who one shots my last character. Thankfully that part was planned...

I'm really glad I don't have to repeat this mission, haha! But seriously, how the hell do I use Phoenix Downs?

Also, is there a significant downside to not doing any of the side-tasks between missions other than missing out on some items and EXP? Are there trophies bound to doing a certain amount of them?

I'm loving the game but for some reason I'm not getting the hang of the combat system with all the different characters and moves to memorize... I wish there were less characters to play with but I can deal with it.

Reveirg

Big endgame spoilers:

I'm still a bit confused by the story. So Arecia and that masked guy controlling Cid are Fal'Cie? What were their respective endgames? Why are they constantly resetting time? Who are Tiz and Lean Joker?

Is there any use to breeding different chocobos? What purpose do they serve at all?

Is there any need to upgrade weapons if we are already OP compared to the story mission?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Big endgame spoilers:

I'm still a bit confused by the story. So Arecia and that masked guy controlling Cid are Fal'Cie? What were their respective endgames? Why are they constantly resetting time? Who are Tiz and Lean Joker?

Can't really remember everything from the Japanese version(still playing this) but one of them serves Lindzei and the other, Pulse. The 4 crystals are also fal'cie. They're experimenting to try to open the door to the unseen realm. Tiz and Joker are ex members of Class Zeros who were left out in this cycle.

AmanoBuff

I can't even describe how epic Chapter 6 was, I mean, HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT!

SPOILER!

Gilgamesh, Alexander, the song "Clash on the big bridge" from FF V, I'm crying

THANK YOU, TABATA

Exactly what I felt after playing chapter 6 for the first time. Just too epic.

I don't think there's a single one I dislike. This is how bosses should be, non-stop attacking and good luck to you.

Agree on all points.

Big endgame spoilers:

I found the most complete explanation about all this in the FF Wikia page.

BIG SPOILERS though. Be warned.

Z3M0G

I keep all my characters at roughly the same level by sumply always using the lowest level characters. That way if i end up losing half of them near the end of a mission, at least i have my strongest as backup. I always start with the buffed ones first though.

I dont favor any specific characters, other than trying to maintain a melee/range/healer balance, and typically control the melee unless situation calls for range.

I only grinded once, when i first got access to the world map. But then i discovered the side quests in the different towns and no longer needed to grind.

I was almost fucked at the final chapter 3 boss though... i had no range left and couldnt hit him from far. I used ifrit to bring him way down and had one character left (he always wiped my other party members with a specific attack cause they are too dumb to avoid it) and only had to strike him 2-3 more times.

AmanoBuff

I keep all my characters at roughly the same level by sumply always using the lowest level characters. That way if i end up losing half of them near the end of a mission, at least i have my strongest as backup. I always start with the buffed ones first though.

I dont favor any specific characters, other than trying to maintain a melee/range/healer balance, and typically control the melee unless situation calls for range.

I only grinded once, when i first got access to the world map. But then i discovered the side quests in the different towns and no longer needed to grind.

I was almost fucked at the final chapter 3 boss though... i had no range left and couldnt hit him from far. I used ifrit to bring him way down and had one character left (he always wiped my other party members with a specific attack cause they are too dumb to avoid it) and only had to strike him 2-3 more times.

If all you want is the platinum, then I think the amount of grinding needed is minimal.

I've been playing the PSP version for a while now and in order to tackle the Tower of Agito I had to grind like crazy (more than 140 hrs played so far) until at least Ace (my favorite main character, in fights at least) reached lvl. 99. And even then I'm struggling a lot trying to find the necessary phantoma to upgrade the magic needed for this dungeon, since simple physical attacks at lvl. 99 barely do any damage.

Btw. Anyone attempting the Tower of Agito yet?

Shahed

Okay can someone help me here? I'm on the final chapter at the part where I need to light some candles to kill an enemy in order to proceed. 2 of them lit of straightaway but the other 3 are on like 10% health left. I attack them but they don't lose any mlre health despite a number appearing for damage. Checked online and all it says is attack them which I've been doing to no avail. Anything I'm missing?

EDIT: I died by running out of time. When I got back there again I did it straightaway. I didn't press X to get rid of the message of all things lol

SephiZack

Can someone with the soundtrack from the limited edition help me? I'm trying to find the names of the tracks everywhere without success. Shouldn't the tracklist be somewhere?

EDIT: I found it. Damn it was right under my eyes the whole time xD

Dunan

I just received my long-ago-preordered FF Type-0-themed PS4 but am thinking that I might sell this PS4 and just buy the English-language version of the game.

So I go online to look at prices, and...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00KWJ4JW4/

Seriously, Amazon Japan? Seriously? Twenty-seven thousand yen (about $240) for a $60 game? In stock and shipped directly by you?

I'm thinking maybe Play Asia or the used market might be a better choice, you know?

CLBridges

I'm in Chapter 2 in this game and really not feeling it currently. From reading some posts here, looks like it picks up in later chapters. I'm going to put a few more hours in, but this one may not be for me. Went physical, so I may either sell or trade toward something else.

Dunan

I'm in Chapter 2 in this game and really not feeling it currently. From reading some posts here, looks like it picks up in later chapters. I'm going to put a few more hours in, but this one may not be for me. Went physical, so I may either sell or trade toward something else.

Without revealing any spoilers, I can say that I would have enjoyed the game much more if the final chapter never happened and if the events of the next-to-last chapter (7?) were the end of the game.

Is there any use to breeding different chocobos? What purpose do they serve at all?

Is there any need to upgrade weapons if we are already OP compared to the story mission?
They are stronger for the RTS missions and/or they last longer in the world map.

Eventually you also get Chocobos that run faster too.

As for the weapons, I'd say if you want you can do it, but if you don't feel the need to deal more damage, then just keep it.

I personally always give the strongest stuff to my characters =X

sharnaak

So I finally had the chance to being the game yesterday, didn't even get to the end of the first chapter cause I've been kinda sick lately and I had some fever, but so far so good!
The camera sometimes drives me crazy, especially when targeting stuff, but I guess it's just about getting used to it.

The only doubt I'm having is if I should start over with another difficulty, I went in for the first gameplay as Cadet but from what I read here there are stuff that needs you to be at least on officer difficulty to see them... Are they story related? Can I eventually just change my settings for the ng+ and experience them?

Roto13

Final boss question:

Is it even possible to fight the last boss as Deuce? Am I supposed to just load my last save now?

Roto13

You literally can't lose. Play with the timing.

I hold the attack button and it lands like a minute later. There's not much I could do with that besides hold square and hope for the best. Took forever, but I managed to grind him down. That was dumb. She was the first person out, so it wasn't even like it was one of those easy later phases.

Szadek

Cinque's skirt flys up showing her panties everytime I harvest.
image.php

The avatar fits perfectly.

Shahed

Final boss question:

Is it even possible to fight the last boss as Deuce? Am I supposed to just load my last save now?
Have you levelled her at all? Her Attack + Forward is instant and probably the fastest of all cadets if learned. Then there's always Magic SHG which is always good for Killsights

Roto13

Have you levelled her at all? Her Attack + Forward is instant and probably the fastest of all cadets if learned. Then there's always Magic SHG which is always good for Killsights

I leveled her evenly with everyone else. Not much I could do about magic in the middle of a boss fight. I had Fire RF equipped and it was too slow. Don't know if I had her melee attack. I'm sure I tried it at some point in those 20 minutes and nothing came out.

Shahed

I leveled her evenly with everyone else. Not much I could do about magic in the middle of a boss fight. I had Fire RF equipped and it was too slow. Don't know if I had her melee attack. I'm sure I tried it at some point in those 20 minutes and nothing came out.
RF should be fine enough. I just completed the game earlier today and had the exsct same problem. It gave me Jack first who I hated but I did have to use RF on a few characters. Just run in circles close by and use the magic as the boss descends to attack. The Sight marker should pop in time for the magic to get there.

And it's not a Melee attack as Deuce. A light circle flashes on the ground around her which is the attack. Forward and Square at the same time.

Top Bottom