• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD |OT| War Never Changes

theofficefan99

Honestly, the visuals may be inconsistent but the character models and cutscenes look quite fantastic to me. And the camera doesn't bother me too much, either (though it could use work).

DNAbro

uhh did i fuck up on the last chapter?

I fought those 4 things that represent the 4 nations. Went through the middle portal, and the requirement was something like "don't fall in". Got to the top and was immediately "judged". Then everyone was put into a really slow/defeated state, saw a cutscene with machina and rem. Got to what i believe the final boss and can't fight him.

EDIT:
and now i'm fighting him in a powered up state

uhh did i fuck up on the last chapter?

I fought those 4 things that represent the 4 nations. Went through the middle portal, and the requirement was something like "don't fall in". Got to the top and was immediately "judged". Then everyone was put into a really slow/defeated state, saw a cutscene with machina and rem. Got to what i believe the final boss and can't fight him.

EDIT:
and now i'm fighting him in a powered up state

No, you're fine =P

Just keep going.

Ugh, the motion blur when moving the camera feels so extreme, i honestly can't play for very long. There is no way to turn it down or disable it is there?

I've never been bothered by this before in a game, anyone else having issues playing this? I'm trying to move the camera as little as possible but its so frustrating.

Ugh, the motion blur when moving the camera feels so extreme, i honestly can't play for very long. There is no way to turn it down or disable it is there?

I've never been bothered by this before in a game, anyone else having issues playing this? I'm trying to move the camera as little as possible but its so frustrating.

I'm one of the fortunate ones that it doesn't effect but, it is a nightmare. An easier way to mitigate the pain during combat is to make sure you're using R1 to lock on and the analog to switch between enemies.

Sadly there is no way to adjust the settings for the camera.

I'm one of the fortunate ones that it doesn't effect but, it is a nightmare. An easier way to mitigate the pain during combat is to make sure you're using R1 to lock on and the analog to switch between enemies.

Sadly there is no way to adjust the settings for the camera.

Shame, wonder if theres anyway to suggest to square enix/hexadrive that it would be a requested feature for post game support. Thanks for the advice w/ Lock on, i'll try to focus on using that.

DNAbro

huh

Finished the game

Well i guess things happened. What a weird story. Says something about a game where everyone is dying and I don't give a shit. The Machina and Rem thing was weird too.

Kinda saw Al-Recia being a demi-god of some sort coming. Also who/what is Etro in this? I didn't really get it. Nor did I get exactly what an Agito was.

Really quick review: Great battle system, fantastic music, cool world, awful characters/story/acting.

Cloudy

Banned
After like 15 tries, I finally beat the chapter 2 boss after turning on assistance (got me through the previous area without losing more guys) and using Trey. It took like 20 seconds and I just avoided getting one hit and unloaded with the bow. Kind of cheap after all that frustration lol

After like 15 tries, I finally beat the chapter 2 boss after turning on assistance (got me through the previous area without losing more guys) and using Trey. It took like 20 seconds and I just avoided getting one hit and unloaded with the bow. Kind of cheap after all that frustration lol

The gameplay is pretty deep so it will take you a little while to get used to it. I have the platinum trophy and 50 hours into this game and just today i figured out how to use Sice really well, i wasnt confident with her before.

Alot of different ways to play this game.

Eight has my favorite playstyle, can easily see staying with him from this chapter two and beyond. Ace and Trey are mainstays too.

Yeah Eight feels like fucking Bayonetta lol

I would try and level up some lol And King>Trey :p

Cloudy

Banned
I would try and level up some lol And King>Trey :p

Yeah I might have to start grinding cos the helpers were lvl 18 while I was lvl 13 lol. That's what I get for using everyone. Will start doing secret training too...

PS: I'd already lost King earlier in the mission. Is there no way to revive characters mid-mission? WTF is a phoenix down for if I can't do that?

Yeah I might have to start grinding cos the helpers were lvl 18 while I was lvl 13 lol. That's what I get for using everyone. Will start doing secret training too...

PS: I'd already lost King earlier in the mission. Is there no way to revive characters mid-mission? WTF is a phoenix down for if I can't do that?

Phoenix Downs need to be used before the character disappears from screen.

Alternatively you can use Phoenix Pinions and the items you get from Tonberries preemptively and get a Reraise status.

XJF

Anyone have an issue with "The Great Liberator" Trophy? Just did chapter 5 sortie mission to unlock Togaugh and the trophy didn't pop when I went in. So I started from the top of the list and revisited every town that's supposed to matter and nothing happened. Thoughts?

EDIT: ignore me. forgot to go to Mi-Go after the Expert Trial. duh!

I hate that Rem knows Reraise and sometimes doesn't cast it, so somebody gets oneshot killed.

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to the killsight/critical hit system? Seems to happen when some enemies are about to attack, but then never for others.

Just beat the game ;_; but then I saw the rise from the ash vid :O great game good combat system good story and characters except for
Machina
I'll be starting my second playthrough soon.

MrDenny

Just finished the game, overall type 0 was just alright.
Fun combat, but the story/characters were awful imo.
Also, did they change eight's eng va throughout the game.
Could of sworn the first half of the game, eight's va sounded like Noel from ffxiii-2, but then it changed.

Ochibi

edit. Ishimoto needs to work on a main Final Fantasy next btw.

I prefer Naoshi Mizuta than Takeharu Ishimoto. His work on Type-0 HD is cool, but I'm not really fan of his work.

Anyway, it's a great game and I recommend fans to play it. It has its flaws and could be better, but I enjoyed it. Still at Chapter 3 though. I must stop to take my time...
Thank you Hajime Tabata-san

1527103_10152938633252317_2768831033670867297_n.jpg

I agree I still hate Rem and Machina. Story might had been decent without them.

FF13 story was better than this shit.

Nah, Rem is one of my favourite characters and the story (so far, at chapter 7 right now) is miles better than XIII, but I do hate Machina. Damn, he's annoying.

Vastly better.

Chapter 5.

Yes! Ishimoto's work on this game is phenomenal! He needs to do a mainline entry!

Geg

Type-0's story and specifically worldbuilding are miles ahead of XIII.

I'm still not finished yet but I already feel like I better understand what l'Cie are and what their place is in the world of Type-0 than I ever did with l'Cie in XIII even though that entire game was about l'Cie. XIII desperately, desperately needed better worldbuilding.

DNAbro

I'm still not finished yet but I already feel like I better understand what l'Cie are and what their place is in the world of Type-0 than I ever did with l'Cie in XIII even though that entire game was about l'Cie. XIII desperately, desperately needed better worldbuilding.

World building is definitely great. I think overall the characters are worse than FFXIII by a lot. No development whatsoever

I agree with this. I can't stand Machina though. What a bastard. I like all of Class Zero but him.

Even after the ending I still couldn't stand him.

World building is definitely great. I think overall the characters are worse than FFXIII by a lot. No development whatsoever
I like the characters in Type-0 more. The interactions between them are far more believable than in XIII. I don't know if the English VA effects that, if you happen to be using Eng dubs, but with Japanese VA at least the character interactions are much better.

Type-0 has its own set of problems but I have to agree with this.

Ray Down

Banned

I still think 13 is worse.

Type-0 does not put a lot of focus on it's main cast and I think it knows that.

13 does and fails at making it's characters interesting.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I love more about Type 0 is it kept me engaged and made me enjoy its world and mythos far more than 13 ever did, and the games narrative was even better on a second run through because everything makes more sense on certain things (such as the world itself and the Agito premises). 13 was far worst for me to try and enjoy a second run through but Type 0 is the complete opposite.

Also I love pretty much all the characters and their personalities (although Mach was a bit dull) and how they melded together. Tabata did good!

I agree I still hate Rem and Machina. Story might had been decent without them.

FF13 story was better than this shit.

Vastly better.

Chapter 5.

No.

No. No. No.

Have you played XIII?

FFXIII is without question the worst Final Fantasy in the entire series and a contender for one of the most convoluted and poorly conceived narratives IN ALL OF FICTION.

FF Type 0 is by no means Citizen Kane and the translation of a some of the dialogue had localization issues (not to mention voice cast issues in the dub), but the world building that stemmed from the massive amount of text in the game is incredible.

NPCs spout multiple lines of text per person that change in between nearly every mission and the crystarium spouts tons of information. And unlike FFXIII, basic information isn't hidden in data entries.

Type 0 is BY NO MEANS perfect, but don't bring FFXIII trash here lol

Dunan

The names are Vermillion Bird, White Tiger, Black Tortoise and Azure Dragon. Personally I would have gone with keeping the four gods as they were, the game is HEAVILY asian influenced, especially Rubrum, though some of the localization puzzles the hell out of me. For example, how they got Caetuna from Setsuna baffles me, especially when it is pronounced the same way.

Again, I had the basics of each country, but the names were kinda a pain.

The Japanese names have strong associations with both the colors (which are the first character in each name; "su 朱" in "Suzaku" means "red") and the directions on the compass, so they're a little easier to remember if you're familiar with Asian culture but also know enough Western culture (Rubrum is Latin for "red") to match those terms up, too.

The original Japanese promotional materials spelled Setsuna's name as "Caetuna" so I'll give the translators a pass on that one.

A lot of the place names just come from completely out of nowhere and have no cohesion. That's on the developers, too.

I only got one character to 99, then 4 others to about 60. Was hoping it would so it wouldn't take as long to do the rest lol

Yeah, know how you feel >.<

The Japanese names have strong associations with both the colors (which are the first character in each name; "su &#26417;" in "Suzaku" means "red") and the directions on the compass, so they're a little easier to remember if you're familiar with Asian culture but also know enough Western culture (Rubrum is Latin for "red") to match those terms up, too.

The original Japanese promotional materials spelled Setsuna's name as "Caetuna" so I'll give the translators a pass on that one.

A lot of the place names just come from completely out of nowhere and have no cohesion. That's on the developers, too.

Yeah I was also very curious as to why they changed the names from Suzaku, Genbu etc etc

XJF

Probably won't worry about maxing characters then. Only need 2 airship and and chapter 7 and 8 trophies. We'll see what happens.

Just played through the first chapter last night, didn't think I would like the combat as much as I did. Teleporting around the battlefield as Ace is very fun.

addik

Currently in Chapter 5 and I'm actually enjoying this more than I ever would have imagined.

Plot-wise, I heard it was going to be a mess, but I can't help but be engrossed with it. Yeah, the first chapter was kinda shitty for introducing you to so many terms/concepts/lores at a time, but ever since then, the plot has been interesting. It helps that they are not trying to be ridiculously sappy and melodramatic. It kinda reminds me of FF12 in a way.

Machina is one heck of an annoying character though. I really like everyone (
Never have imagined Deuce would be such a badass
, but Machina is the only one I don't like so far.

Gameplay-wise, I have been using Jack, Ace, Seven, Cater, and Machina as my mains. I also try to put Rem, Deuce, and Queen as support, though I sometimes trade in Queen to be my main character. I also like King as a character and I have been trying to level him up, same as Eight.

I am trying to get used to Deuce because I find her style very interesting, but I don't think I control her well :p Anyone uses her as a main?

Yeah this is about right.

Also I'm at Chapter 5 right now. Machina's starting to get annoying.

It makes me happy that everyone hates Machina.

It's like, dude, you got the most character development in this thing, why do you suck so much? >.>

I am trying to get used to Deuce because I find her style very interesting, but I don't think I control her well :p Anyone uses her as a main?
I don't main her, but I played her for a while. Deuce is the only character that has to "click" before you learn her well.

And when it does... It's really fun.

Geg

Machina's not great but Cinque is the absolute worst. She's Vanille without the character depth.

Possibly surpassed Genesis as worst FF character

zennyzz

Machina isn't a bad character, Machina is a character you hate.

I'm pretty sure everybody understands why Machina does what Machina does. There's nothing off about his characterization and motives. That doesn't change that at the end of the day he's a bitch.

If you actually spend the time to talk with him and others. You see his development coming miles away.

I'm really enjoying this. First FF I've played in years, despite always buying them. I never read reviews so I wasn't expecting it to go a bit RTS with the opposing towns sending troops out against the dominion. Loads of fun!

Started using Deuce but she's gained a couple of levels already so might switch to someone else to keep things going at the same rate.

Roto13

Very few quests are related to these. And one quest requires multiple of them (Emina's sidequest).

Other than that...

I have no idea.

I'm probably just going to ignore them then. :p I've had enough sidequests in this game. Except the Expert Trials or whatever.

Jawmuncher

I don't mind the story but oh man these scenes needed better direction.

Spoilers only for chapters 1-4
Machinas brother dies in the beginning of the game and get's like 4 death scenes. Despite just needing the first one and calling it a day. Aria gets shot and i'm assuming dies. Yet Class 0 doesn't bat a eye besides "If we stay here we'll be get the same fate". Like come on really?

Top Bottom