• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the best game I played so far this year

SantaC

I know it is popular to hate on Nomura, but he still got it. Final Fantasy 7 is the most fun I had with a game this year, and that includes games like Persona 3 Reload and Elden Ring DLC. The battle system is absolutely fantastic and has some of the toughest challenges ever in a single player RPG (fuck Rulers of the outside world and bonds of friendship). Materia system is still the goat, and I cant wait for part 3 when you get access to all Materia combinations and limitbreaks.

Agree the game is fantastic. Love it on a level where I have a strong attachment to it. Although I don't actually like the serious meta storyline, I really just love it because of all the fun adventure parts. Whatever's going on with cloud's head and zack I absolutely do not care and it better not get in the way of my silly party members having goofy interactions

Last edited:

Kumomeme

this time Nomura actually serve as creative director.

the main director is Naoki Hamauguchi. it is his first debut as director.

but ofcourse, the foundation of Remake helped pave way to Rebirth.

young blood influence can be seen with this game. like the inspiration taken from game like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon and Witcher 3 for open world exploration and ingame dialogue choice in cutscene.

ofcourse the game not perfect but they achieved all this in mere around 3 years of development is outstanding. usually this kind of scale would took more than 5 years. this also prove that Square finally could make a proper open world AAA Final Fantasy. something that they been failed and avoid these past 10 years. at first i thought CS3 is the first one gonna nailed it but CS1 beat them to the race. make me wonder what kind of game KH4 will be.

Last edited:

Cao Cao

Final Fantasy 7 is the most fun I had with a game this year.
85454b267e8f3bc8aa1509811bd51bf3.jpg

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I will pick this up soon!

Just too many great games this year and so many hours invested into JRPGs for me. I need more time.

Killed any interest I had in the final installment, I’ll stick with the original. There simply wasn’t enough content in the OG game to expand it into this massive trilogy, it is the game version of Jackson’s The Hobbit.
Bloated beyond belief, abysmal mandatory mini games, terrible dialogue, questionable combat choices, I finally threw in the towel after Golden Saucer. The wave of nostalgia that propelled me through the first entry petered out.
I’m glad other folks enjoyed it, but this was not the remake I was looking for.

Garibaldi

I've slowly been making my way through it since launch. Just playing it in between other games. Doing a chapter every so often. I love it personally. I imagine it gets tiresome if you just play it 100% though. Very repetitive open world events. The way I'm playing it is fine though. Looking forward to the PC version though. 30fps is really lacking and I miss my customised reshade I have for remake.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's one of my all time fav games and it stands out.

This year has been great for fans of Japanese games in general.

I have to admit the game that disappointed me a bit was Stellar Blade. It did a lot of things right, but I just didn't care at all for the characters or any of the wider game world side characters. The personalities were somewhat lifeless. So the story also wasn't really memorable for me compared to lets say a NieR game. I hope for Shift Ups follow up they can improve on this point.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
1000%. Its the game I always wanted and what I wished modern FF would be. Playing through it I constantly was saying "I can't believe this game is real!". I'm going to be so sad once part 3 is done as I can't imagine another game series like it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's good enough for me to stop playing on console and wait for the pc release to see which is the best over all experience. It's that good.

I'm really happy people enjoyed the game. It shows Square there's an interest in full-on remakes of their older games that can draw in both old-timers and newcomers alike. It's a well-crafted game for sure.

Personally, I couldn't get into it, but as someone who loves FFIX and is incredibly excited for the rumored remake, Remake/Rebirth's success will directly reflect how much effort they put in.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I'm really happy people enjoyed the game. It shows Square there's an interest in full-on remakes of their older games that can draw in both old-timers and newcomers alike. It's a well-crafted game for sure.

Personally, I couldn't get into it, but as someone who loves FFIX and is incredibly excited for the rumored remake, Remake/Rebirth's success will directly reflect how much effort they put in.

I would never want a FF6 remake in the same style though. It wouldn't work as well imo.

I would never want a FF6 remake in the same style though. It wouldn't work as well imo.
Same style graphically, gameplay-wise, or with the storyline's altered timeline shenanigans, or just kind of all of the above?

Gameplay-wise, I love the IX world and all of the characters, so I wouldn't mind if they padded the crap out of it. Give me more backstory for all of the side-characters, especially the Tantalus crew. I'd be open to an action-based combat system like Rebirth, too.

Muffdraul

Agree. OG FFVII is on my short list of all time favorites, but I never really wanted a remake. FFVII Remake was pretty good, I enjoyed it. But FFVII Rebirth blew me away with how great it was. It was a bit too long, the last couple of areas of the world got on my nerves, and it should be a crime to make a final boss battle that long and involved but not include any checkpoints... but I can't think of a game that released this year that I enjoyed more.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's good enough for me to stop playing on console and wait for the pc release to see which is the best over all experience. It's that good.
I'm betting it'll get major PS5 Pro updates, like a full 4k Performance mode.

SkylineRKR

Its fun but very bloated. Rebirth feels like a tribute to FFVII. Nothing in it hits the same as the original, the characters talk way too much, there is too much distractions in the form of minigames and it just lacks the kind of haunting and dreary atmosphere of the original. For everything they fleshed out there is also a focus on stupid characters that feel off. And the altered story makes it so that you go whatever over the events that transpire.

I liked Rebirth a ton, but something also got lost on the way.

I also feel ultimately not too many gamers care about this trilogy. Its a direct sequel, it was bound to sell less than Remake. And the final game will lose even more players. Square was probably better off making one complete game.

fallingdove

Game was really great overall. They should have cut some of the mini games, made combat/skill progression a little more flexible, and the ending started to veer into Nomura territory — but it’s one of the best JRPGs I have played in years. My game of the year so far.

Also, as an aside, loving Unicorn Overloard as a palette cleanser. Such a good game to follow something like FF7 rebirth up with.

StereoVsn

Great combat, enjoyed every part despite the bloat and the mini game grind impacting my OCD. Was a great experience though.
My game of the year so far, maybe the generation.
Yeah, I really enjoyed FFVIIR, probably my favorite game this year.

Rodolink

it's crazy good in many ways, mind-blowing in others. cinematics and battle system is like (insert meme of italian guy kissing fingers), good dose of fan service too.
What I'm already very tired of on every open world game is this repetitive nature of the towers, to expand the world and filler mini quests just to justify the size. By the time i reached Gongaga i was like, fuck again? i need to find all shrines, towers, battle intel...
was fun though and though i spent 100h to finish it felt more like 40.
Looking forward for the third part!

Minsc

Gold Member
On the end of chapter 12 now, it pretty much consistently gets better and better.

I was a bit luke warm on it vs Remake even through the Beach, but once you hit the Jungle (Gogonga or whatever) the OST is incredible, and the Gold Saucer and onward really shine.

Went from thinking it was worse than Remake to placing it higher now.

Mario Kart/Chocobo Racing is actually legit, and more fair/solid than Mario Kart 8 haha. Has almost everything from MK8, except the rubber banding AI, thank god.

Edit: And Quuen's Blood is probably one of the top tier FF mini games of all time, maybe better than triple triad.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I'm ashamed to admit I bought the deluxe edition on release and haven't even unboxed it yet. Need to finish remake first (im not making progress)

Top Bottom