• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the best game I played so far this year

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Largely prefer Remake to Rebirth but it’s a decent game all in all. But in an year with Stellar Blade and Lies of P in it too I have two say both easily moved me more than Square Enix’s game 😅

SkylineRKR

I just finished the Cait Sith boxes nightmare chapter. My rating will unfortunately have to go down. That bit was an absolute train wreck.

That part wasn't so bad to me. I would prefer it wasn't there but in the end there were about 4 fights or so and they were quite easy. The box throwing is bad though, mainly because he can't run when carrying one. It should at least auto target like Yuffie's hook. The problem with FFVII Remakes is that they tend to pad out every single area. The mansion, Gongaga, Junon area, desert prison could all be trimmed.

One game would've been possible in the end, and likely be more profitable for Square. These sequels sell progressively worse, the next one is likely going to lose even more players.

Garibaldi

That part wasn't so bad to me. I would prefer it wasn't there but in the end there were about 4 fights or so and they were quite easy. The box throwing is bad though, mainly because he can't run when carrying one. It should at least auto target like Yuffie's hook. The problem with FFVII Remakes is that they tend to pad out every single area. The mansion, Gongaga, Junon area, desert prison could all be trimmed.

One game would've been possible in the end, and likely be more profitable for Square. These sequels sell progressively worse, the next one is likely going to lose even more players.
I don't mind Cath Sith's combat or the vent 'puzzling' but that box throwing mechanic thing, that will no doubt never be used for the rest of the game can get in the bin. Along with that terrible chicken coaxing mini game. Waste of time and boring design.

SkylineRKR

I don't mind Cath Sith's combat or the vent 'puzzling' but that box throwing mechanic thing, that will no doubt never be used for the rest of the game can get in the bin. Along with that terrible chicken coaxing mini game. Waste of time and boring design.

There were a lot of questionable decisions.

The problem I have with Rebirth is that way too much of this shit was also integrated into the main story, such as the box throwing. They really went overboard. OG had this motorbike scene, and later the snowboard. And some small minigames such as the stealth, the ice climbing and a few others but over the span of the entire FFVII story.

Rebirth throws this box throwing, dolphin, mine cart, Costa del Sol minigames for outfits etc at you in a very short time.

The stuff like the chicken and the protorelics were at least optional, but I didn't like most of those either. The protorelic was almost always a case of repeating the same unfun (robot, cactuar) minigame 4 times over. And don't get me started on the god awful mog houses. A lot of it was optional, but quite good stuff was hidden behind them, not to mention an entire bonus area.

Last edited:
I actually couldn't believe I didn't get sucked into it like I did with remake. Yeah i was insanely busy with school, but something with the pacing, zones and quests seemed a bit repetitive and a bit boring. I didn't get that far, just a bit after Yuffie. I'll revisit it this fall after I finish Elden Ring DLC - All I've heard mostly is that the game is insanely awesome. So I'll start it over and get through it, at my slower, middle-aged pace lol

Quasicat

I wouldn't know I'm waiting for a PC port

Hurry Up GIF
I’m right there with you, but if Epic grabs another exclusivity window, I may pick up a PS5 before then…especially if they go on another sale in November.

Markio128

Gold Member
I'll probably pick this up on the PS5 Pro. Are all the side quests compulsory in order to progress through the game?
Nothing is compulsory in the game other than the main quest. I wouldn’t say that the side missions are a burden though - some of them can be pretty fun, such as Queens Blood. The only parts that irritate me are the chocobo missions. They suck.

Crayon

I tried it, first FF game I ever played. Does the melee combat evolve?

Yes. The game is stingy with the material so for quite a while I felt limited. That's where you can start making materia a strategy.

But aside from that, the combat is amazing. In the most difficult fights that force you to dig, the fun really starts coming out. If you like what you find, the hard run (only got to do that in the first, so far) makes you dig so hard and by then you are already pretty good when you started.

I thought the gameplay was just neat and fun enough when I first played the first one. By then I thought it was pretty damn good and by the end of the hard mode I was super impressed.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
It's my current GOTY and I don't see anything beating it due on the calendar by December.

I might say the same.

Lots of great RPGs released this year, Granblue, Persona 3 remake, Ronin and we still have Dragon Quest remake and many more.

I'm ok with this being my GOTY as it was a great title and I'm doubtful Star Wars Outlaws or Assassins Creed Shadows will be GOTY for me lol They seem like fun games, but I don't know if the publisher has ever made anything I considered GOTY. Not bad, but not GOTY good either.

Yes. The game is stingy with the material so for quite a while I felt limited. That's where you can start making materia a strategy.

But aside from that, the combat is amazing. In the most difficult fights that force you to dig, the fun really starts coming out. If you like what you find, the hard run (only got to do that in the first, so far) makes you dig so hard and by then you are already pretty good when you started.

I thought the gameplay was just neat and fun enough when I first played the first one. By then I thought it was pretty damn good and by the end of the hard mode I was super impressed.
Interesting. I tried it previously and was negatively surprised at how the combat seemed to be auto fighting.

Crayon

Interesting. I tried it previously and was negatively surprised at how the combat seemed to be auto fighting.

Same here. I didn't play the game for a long time because I was afraid to see what the had done on all fronts lol. So I went in expecting something watered down. With low expectations, I was at least happy that it looked cool. Many hours later, I love it.

taylor34

Neo Member
I just finished this game, I came away kind of puzzled why this game is getting such rave reviews. I liked it less than remake. It just feels overdrawn out with way too many not fun minigames. Story is fine and probably the most redeeming part. I'd rank it towards the bottom of the FF games I've played.

Top Bottom