• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the best game I played so far this year

GymWolf

Gold Member
big-trouble-if-i-speak.gif

Davesky

Outstanding experience and I haven't even touched the majority of the side content. The whole game felt like a giant love letter to the entire PS1 era, not just the original material it was based on. The story was great, the Loveless scene in particular made me remember why I cared so much about the cast to begin with, making everything that happens after this moment all the more impactful.

Crayon

I had to wait to play it so I'm in the middle right now. I fucking love it. Almost more than playing the game, I wanted to know very badly how they were going to adapt the old world map and they fucking nailed it. So fun, and a little magical.

edit: oh wow Synless said "magical" just a few posts up. That seals it. Magical.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Started up Rebirth right after finishing Remake. Figured I needed a break so I dropped to start my way through Elden Ring DLC. Trying to work through one game at a time. Glad to hear you enjoyed OP. Next up on my stack.

nikos

Really looking forward to playing this game. Good chance it would have been my GOTY. Decided to wait for the PC version.

I've tried to play Remake three times. I bought it on release due to the awesome demo, but the game becomes very boring very quickly. I finally played the entirety of the original FF7 on PS1 recently and it was amazing. I wanted to immediately restart and play again. A shame the remake doesn't spark that joy for me.

So, Rebirth was obviously skipped. I'm curious: is there anyone here who didn't play through Remake and instead started with Rebirth?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
is there anyone here who didn't play through Remake and instead started with Rebirth?
There video option the menu that gives you summary of what happen in Remake but in all honestly I dont recommend playing Rebirth before playing Remake.

The game absolutely assumes you have played Remake.

Hohenheim

Was a solid 7/10 for me.
Very cool to see the locations and experience the story in a updated form, but the gameplay itself was nothing special in my book
If I didn't hold the original so close to my heart, i doubt I'd even bother to finish it.
I'll definitly be there day 1 when the final remake arrives though. Have to see the trilogy through.

Hrk69

Gold Member
It's a day one for me on PC if the optimization is decent

It's one of those games I purposely forget because I don't want to buy a PS5

I abandoned the game a few hours in because I just found the pacing to be abysmal. Just takes waaaay too long to get going and has too much padding.

Love the game to bits. I think it’s the best possible remake we could have gotten. I would even say it’s my game of the decade.
With 42 years I don’t play so many games anymore, it’s rare that a game is fun enough for me to finish, but Rebirth was a blast from start to finish and I even consider a replay real soon.

The combat is the perfect combination of the old turned based system an a more modern active system.

And I never finish any card game in a game until queens blood, that game alone is so addictive.

Sure some people complain that there is a lot of checklist tasks, but I wasn’t bothered by them because they are absolutely optional and a way to spend more time with these characters.

Couldn’t be more hyped for part 3.

WorldHero

It's my GOTY. Pretty much perfect. If you haven't picked it up yet, I strongly recommend (especially if you remember the OG game).

Definitely my GOTY of 2024 unless we actually get Silksong. Might still be actually. What a joy of a game that far too few people played.

Agree. Remake was a good game. Rebirth was an amazing game. If the 3rd one can be great. Been one of my favorite trilogy games. But I’m also can be alittle bias when it comes to ff7. OG FF7 is my favorite game of all time

Salmonboy

Sorry! I quit this game a couple of weeks ago! It's horrible. It's just an ugly hub for boring mini-games. The Remake was a really good game, but the "open world" gimmick it just pure trash. Was waiting for the game to get good, but running around feeling disconnected, in a world that feels random generated in quality. Copy-paste everything! I REALLY wanted to like this game.

Absolutely love it, but trying for the platinum is just excruciating.

Fucking Rulers of the Outer Worlds challenge. I platinumed Remake and Crisis Core Reunion, but this shit...tempted to call it quits, I've already sunk 130 hours into it (and beat the story on Hard). I'd have more fun fighting Malenia in Elden Ring again over this bullshit.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am waiting for either PC or PS5 pro version. None of these are announced so yeah, I am betting a lot on my hunch lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

A lot of filler stuff, but quality wise it beats all else for me too.

People only want it on PC for Tifa Mods, change my mind

The FF7 Remake character models on PS4 were 110,000 Polygons, whilst Rebirth on PS5 its 220,000.

We need to get the higher poly Tifa mod on PC ASAP.

StueyDuck

I'm busy going through it now and I'd have to agree (until astrobot comes out and just fucks the competition)

it only really hit when i saw red XIII dressed a certain way in a certain scene (won't go into spoilers), but when I saw that i was like Yep this is a video game, they are having fun with it, they are being silly, offering a great linear adventure if you choose, it has open world box ticking if you choose which isn't all that necessary, it isn't padded to the brink with shite side quests, there's a few per zone and they are hardly around long enough to distract. It's got plenty of side activities to keep you busy (as in mini games), and most importantly the gameplay is fun and approachable but has a lot of nuance and technique if you are willing to go deep enough into it.

I mean you could almost finish the game just by controlling cloud but man does switching characters in combat almost completely shift the combat.

so yes, so far easily the best video game of the year. If i hadn't started playing it then Animal Well would take the top spot.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I was enjoying it and then got to the beach missions and stopped there as I was sooo bored during that section. I completed that area and felt burned out by then and havent gone back to it since. FF7 is in my top 5 all time greats so I really should give it another chance at some point, not sure how far in that is so I could be near the end for all I know. The other problem I had was knowing it'll be years til the trilogy is finished it feels like half a game in a wierd way.

Neff

red XIII dressed a certain way in a certain scene (won't go into spoilers)

Oldheads will know what you mean, but yeah that was a moment. It was like Hell House in part 1, both instances had me thinking 'maybe they thought it was too stupid so they left it out' but nope, there it is, and it's the hypest fucking thing ever.

Top Bottom