• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Type_Raver

Few things...

- I played the demo and it's gorgeous to look at.
- After playing HL Alyx where there is so much interactivity, the levels feel stiff and lifeless.
- I didn't get to grips with the combat system and when I encountered the first boss, I got wiped. Discouraged me from trying again
- xenoblade chronicles DE looks so bland and hard to look at #tears

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Well, thanks for telling me the truth Square, after 40 hours into the game you're honest about what this really is.

Geez. I don't even know what to feel.

led4lyfe

1 thing that's getting me is there is way too much Materia and not enough slots. Im climbing to the Tower now and there are so many combinations of Mats i want to use, but cant. Also I only have found 1 Elemental effect materia which is my fav from the original.

Question,

Are there Ribbons?
Can you spawn new Materia from fully leveled Materia?
That was my complaint as well. Way too many Materia but not enough slots and I feel like I have to carry the assess Materia no matter what. I also miss the All Materia

YukiOnna

Finished past the Fall of Sector 7 and man... almost brought out the waterworks. Barret's acting (Japanese) got me good and spending time with Biggs and Jessie. Definitely nailed that segment. Underground Test Site is where I finally learned to properly use Barret, lol. Honest to god surprised Wedge survived, too. Interesting.

The dream scene with Aerith and Cloud and the indirect confession. "I'm coming for you." ;_;

I guess I'll do all the remaining side quests before I head into the last stretch. I really don't want my time with this game to end.

Also, does anyone know how to unlock those Gates with red emblems that you see in various areas? Is that a NG+ thing?

Last edited:

d[-_-]b

Banned
Finished past the Fall of Sector 7 and man... almost brought out the waterworks. Barret's acting (Japanese) got me good and spending time with Biggs and Jessie. Definitely nailed that segment. Underground Test Site is where I finally learned to properly use Barret, lol. Honest to god surprised Wedge survived, too. Interesting.

The dream scene with Aerith and Cloud and the indirect confession. "I'm coming for you." ;_;

I guess I'll do all the remaining side quests before I head into the last stretch. I really don't want my time with this game to end.

Also, does anyone know how to unlock those Gates with red emblems that you see in various areas? Is that a NG+ thing?
No it's one of the side quests
Tomboy Bandit gets you the key and Corneo's Stash is actually going to those locations

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That last chapter was truly awful story-wise lol. It had gotten so good too.

But I wont let it paint my perception of the whole product. This was a damn fine game with some great fanservice and addicting combat. Bring on part 2.

PanzerAzel

Chapter 11 and I’m super fucking close to switching to classic mode. I fucking suck at this game. I don’t know what materia to slot to which character, which character to attack with or when, I don’t know when I should be defensive and when to be offensive. It’s a damn shame because I love the game, but I’m just stressing out during combat. Fuck!
Yeah, the combat would be far more enjoyable if it were turn based.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Is it available to do at the point im at right now?
Short Answer: Should be if you're on chapter 14.
Chapter 14 is when those side quests are available, you can't access one of the secret stashes till you progress in the main story, but before you go up to the plate aka Shinra HQ.

YukiOnna

Short Answer: Should be if you're on chapter 14.
Chapter 14 is when those side quests are available, you can't access one of the secret stashes till you progress in the main story, but before you go up to the plate aka Shinra HQ.
Thank you!

Arkage

Banned
That last chapter was truly awful story-wise lol. It had gotten so good too.

But I wont let it paint my perception of the whole product. This was a damn fine game with some great fanservice and addicting combat. Bring on part 2.

Just beat the game myself and now that I've seen the whole ending in person, yea. It really doesn't sit too well with me. I thought the whispers were just a meta commentary thing but NOPE. It really goes all in on the idea, which is bleh. And the fact that it tries to cram in glimpses of a bunch of old scenes/fights from the original game it really makes me think that it's not going to follow in the same path. It's like the game is trying to give you the feel and boss beats of the entire original FF7, so it can now go on and do new stuff. Also lmao Zack living for literally no reason. He already has a game for gods sake. Ugh.

I'm sure I'll buy the rest of the games that come out, but my expectations are lower now. However the battle system is mostly fantastic. They nailed all the characters. They nailed all the music. Most of the cutscenes were really well directed. Here's hoping what might be new won't also be shit. Because I really don't trust them enough to create an original narrative as meaningful as OG FF7, especially after the shitfest of KH3.

Last edited:

Renae

Hi guys, simple question here. I just finished the Remake and loved it, as a newcomer to FF7.

Do you think its Worth to play the original on PS1 or should I just wait for Remake Part 2 ?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
rpNhfDE.jpg

Zephir

Playing Chapter 13 and 100% love this game...But I have one question...

Is it me or the game just doesn't want us to control Tifa outside battles? We mainly play as Cloud, a couple of times as Aerith and now I'm controlling Barret, with his gimmick I wish was available earlier for fun exploring...But yea, why we didn't get direct control of Tifa so far? I mean....there's still time and it may happen, I'm just...heh

Last edited:

NeoLed

Is it me or the game just doesn't want us to control Tifa outside battles? We mainly play as Cloud, a couple of times as Aerith and now I'm controlling Barret, with his gimmick I wish was available earlier for fun exploring...But yea, why we didn't get direct control of Tifa so far? I mean....there's still time and it may happen, I'm just...heh
You will control Tifa quite later in the game.

Hojo's lab

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels

Don't worry.

PanzerAzel

Hi guys, simple question here. I just finished the Remake and loved it, as a newcomer to FF7.

Do you think its Worth to play the original on PS1 or should I just wait for Remake Part 2 ?
Yes, definitely play the original, it’s absolutely worth it, just be prepared for how it’s aged and the drastic difference in combat. Vanilla, then with mods on PC if you have that option (w/7th Heaven, AI hi-Rez backdrops, new character models, with New Threat).

Last edited:

LordKasual

Banned
Beat the game. Everything in Shinra HQ was amazing. Last few bosses were CRAZY good (Rufus is probably my favorite fight in the game). Seriously, it was amazing.

And then the ending hit

And I don't know how to feel anymore

People weren't joking. It's like FFXIII and Kingdom Hearts had a lovechild and Dissidia raised it.

the game goes FULL Kingdom Hearts and i'm trying so hard to not have it retroactively ruin the whole experience

Regardless, If you didn't play the original game then the ending is going to be so mother fucking stupid.

Maybe replaying the game will have me feel better about it, but i doubt it....i'm really sad now.

I was so confident that this was gonna be the beginning of the best of FF again, and this ending just reminded me that it's never coming back

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Story aside, the last 6 or 7 boss fights were all fucking amazing.

One in particular, when the boss changes phases and the music changes from its modern orchestral rendition to its remixed synth version. Just.....UGH

vucheji4itk21.jpg

so good.

Beat the game. Everything in Shinra HQ was amazing. Last few bosses were CRAZY good (Rufus is probably my favorite fight in the game). Seriously, it was amazing.

And then the ending hit

And I don't know how to feel anymore

Know what you mean. My take is, if I thoroughly enjoyed the first 95%, I'm not gonna let 5% ruin the whole thing. Lets give them a chance and see where it goes.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Play the original. You will appreciate both it and the Remake more. You'll notice lots of details.

Mista

Banned
I can't even begin to describe how beautiful this game is. Everything apart from the PS2 textures is amazing

Every chapter got a unique level design and life. Yes, even the garbage slums feels good to be at in this game

The music is once again high class and nobody can disagree with that. Keeps you pumped up during the whole way

The transition from a cutscene back to the gameplay and vice versa is so smooth and feels so damn good also

I am currently at the final chapter. Got all the music, weapons and their abilities. Couple of things left for all collectibles

Which I have to do in a second playthrough along the two quests left for me to finish both all quests and collectibles

This game is definitely worth the full price with the amount of content it has provided me up until now and this is enough

I was skeptical about this whole one game being divided to parts but after playing, I'll gladly pay full price for the rest too!

LordKasual

Banned

One in particular, when the boss changes phases and the music changes from its modern orchestral rendition to its remixed synth version. Just.....UGH

vucheji4itk21.jpg

so good.

Know what you mean. My take is, if I thoroughly enjoyed the first 95%, I'm not gonna let 5% ruin the whole thing. Lets give them a chance and see where it goes.

The ONLY reason im scared is because i feel like we're really at a crossroads here.

The game will either become a true new taking on FF7.....
Or it's going to be a AAA in-house fanfiction.

I'm afraid that the blank check they've written with this ending is going to not only allow them to throw in all the compilation shit, but jump the shark and just fanservice pimp the whole series out even harder than it ever had been before.

I feel like the game just spent 38 hours convincing me wholeheartedly that this series is going to be AMAZING, without a doubt

and the last 2 hours were dedicated entirely and SPECIFICALLY towards making me anxious about how badly written the next chapters will be.

Nomura, Toriyama, whomever's idea this was......i loathe them so much.
I want to trust them, but i have 2 perfect examples of why I should NEVER trust them (KH/FFXIII), and this ending just set the sequels up to be both of those games at the same time.

We got "WE CAN FIGHT FATE" (FFXIII) and Timeline/Dimension crossing (KH) crammed into the story within the span of 2 hours.

I want to be hype but im so scared lol

Last edited:

Thabass

vucheji4itk21.jpg

so good.

Beat it last night and this is how I feel. Like, I actually don't mind the ending, but I know many people who will hate it. But I want on Toriyama / Noruma's wild ride of their take of FFVII Remake. It's gonna be a wild ride.

nowhat

Finished it yesterday, I liked it, but thought it was ridiculous to make parrying a materia instead of a game mechanic.
Oh yes. I wasn’t expecting SE to go all Platinum, but if you're going to introduce more action-oriented elements, they could use some more polish and love. They're quite elementary as they are (still there were many so memorable bosses and that made me almost forget FFXV... oh shit I remembered it again).

LordKasual

Banned
Beat it last night and this is how I feel. Like, I actually don't mind the ending, but I know many people who will hate it. But I want on Toriyama / Noruma's wild ride of their take of FFVII Remake. It's gonna be a wild ride.

This game was so well designed that I have no choice but to be on board at this point.

Like.....seriously dude. The last few hours of this game was a RIDE.

They never need to deviate from this combat engine.....

give this shit another 3 titles to marinate like FF7-9. I'd love to see this combat engine in FF16-FF18 lol

Its ability to have puzzle bosses / cinematic sequences / playable setpieces is fucking amazing in a way that not even FF15 was able to do.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

I'm taking my time with the game because I don't want it to end. Yesterday I decided to repeat the hell house boss fight as I wasn't satisfied on my first take (I beat it, but took long and I used too many phoenix down) and it was so much fun doing it with a proper strategy and see how much easier was this time around. It was a very rewarding experience.

As some of you mentioned I really hope they keep the battle system for the next chapters or even FF16 because it feels like it has so much potential if they keep refining it. Seriously this game is miles away from FFXV

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
As some of you mentioned I really hope they keep the battle system for the next chapters or even FF16 because it feels like it has so much potential if they keep refining it. Seriously this game is miles away from FFXV
Yeah. They got to fix the aerial fights though cause its bad

LordKasual

Banned

Seriously.

Rufus Shinra in particular was seriously on some Dante vs. Vergil levels of hype, that fight was SO well designed. And in a way that could only be possible in this battle system.

So much potential, and unlike FFXV, it's actually used in this game.

This is the result of them bringing back the KH2 battle director for this title

Sub_Level

Yeah. They got to fix the aerial fights though cause its bad

The og game had something called Long Range materia. I think an easy fix would be to let melee characters equip that for easy damage so that all attacks will hit from the ground without them having to jump. The tradeoff is that they have to use up a materia slot for it (and find the materia in the first place)

nowhat

The og game had something called Long Range materia. I think an easy fix would be to let melee characters equip that for easy damage so that all attacks will hit from the ground without them having to jump. The tradeoff is that they have to use up a materia slot for it (and find the materia in the first place)
Or.... just add a jump button? It's far from ideal right now that you can, sorta kinda, do melee attacks up high - if you just happen to be under someone by accident, because you sure as fuck ain't gonna see it. I feel Shinra has bribed the cameraman.

LordKasual

Banned
Or.... just add a jump button? It's far from ideal right now that you can, sorta kinda, do melee attacks up high - if you just happen to be under someone by accident, because you sure as fuck ain't gonna see it. I feel Shinra has bribed the cameraman.

Nah, I disagree. The current system for it is ideal.

Jumps would convolute the system, which GREATLY benefited from more or less staying on one plane this time around. We wouldn't have gained very much in FF7R from having a jump button, and TBH we didn't in FFXV either (until Pitioss Ruins, but that's literally the only place.) Having ranged/Melee characters was a good setup for this game as far as strategy goes.

As for remaining characters, we have Yuffie (throwing shuriken), Vincent (gun), and Cid (dragoon archetype) and Tifa already deals with aerial enemies well enough if she has charges, and everyone has access to magic attacks.

Nymphae

Banned
Just got my copy from Amazon :messenger_sunglasses:

Probably won't start it until the weekend though. Man, I'm really tired of this boring ass black sans serif font on white background spine artwork. Doom case artwork is the best this gen that I've seen.

Mista

Banned
Just finished the game. Didn't like the ending but eh, its understandable.

So far this is my GOTY and good luck to the other games of this year trying to top it

10/10 for me easily! Wanted to go for platinum since all I have to do is finish it on hard only

Not ready for that right now so maybe later on :)

Hostile_18

Banned
Just finished the game. Didn't like the ending but eh, its understandable.

So far this is my GOTY and good luck to the other games of this year trying to top it

10/10 for me easily! Wanted to go for platinum since all I have to do is finish it on hard only

Not ready for that right now so maybe later on :)

Like the Last of Us part 2 I'm saving hard mode of both games for the PS5 😁

Boneless

That was my complaint as well. Way too many Materia but not enough slots and I feel like I have to carry the assess Materia no matter what. I also miss the All Materia
Would be cool if you'd have a hard to achieve way to merge materias in one.

I found top level magic underwhelming. Like Firage is just a big flame. In ff7 when you see Sephiroth cast lightning 3 in the flashbacks its like WOW. Maybe theyre keeping some spectacle for next games though as you have to keep getting stronger.

LordKasual

Banned
Uhh......FYI, for anyone wondering if Hard Mode is really hard after beating the game....

....Yes, it's a decent challenge. Even with all your skills you wont be one-shotting anything in Chapter 1, and they actually changed the AI on the scorpion boss a bit, so i assume other bosses/enemies will get changes.

It actually feels REALLY amazing to be able to go all-out from Chapter 1 and still struggle to kill stuff.

The guard scorpion managed to kill me twice....once cloud died and i forgot that I couldnt use Phoenix Down......second time, barrett died and i didn't know the Hard Mode scorpion uses the laser TWICE.

Would be cool if you'd have a hard to achieve way to merge materias in one.

I found top level magic underwhelming. Like Firage is just a big flame. In ff7 when you see Sephiroth cast lightning 3 in the flashbacks its like WOW. Maybe theyre keeping some spectacle for next games though as you have to keep getting stronger.

tier 3 spells with the Magnify Materia look pretty damn insane imo.

Also, I want to commend Square for the high-level lightning actually making electric sounds....Thundaga sounds like an Arc Flash and i love it.

Nymphae

Banned
This game has the strangest reverse cover - the spine is black with white text, and the cover image is just black with the logo over to the right. Why go through the trouble to print reverse covers that are less interesting than the default? At least Spider-Man and Doom had custom artwork, the reverse here literally looks like the Amazon placeholder thumbnail.

LordKasual

Banned
This game has the strangest reverse cover - the spine is black with white text, and the cover image is just black with the logo over to the right. Why go through the trouble to print reverse covers that are less interesting than the default? At least Spider-Man and Doom had custom artwork, the reverse here literally looks like the Amazon placeholder thumbnail.

Final Fantasy game covers have always traditionally just been a solid white background with the logo art.

krUtiMQDuUzfIvIPAJyqXoa3XkcEYicixK82x78Ci0Tnkdxlv2O05eaYEvVljff4fBrgx1hszWgjAHdC2XlMdZEgCTuDctAVw4q0_7BZfHxG1VfuvDcSKgztFY6ZfCp8ahSvf7mqibeJ-C71hYQEWYxosuqbLGHDEmaU

s-l300.jpg

s-l300.jpg

The US box arts for the PS1 games always had characters on them. The JP ones did not

Nymphae

Banned
Final Fantasy game covers have always traditionally just been a solid white background with the logo art.

krUtiMQDuUzfIvIPAJyqXoa3XkcEYicixK82x78Ci0Tnkdxlv2O05eaYEvVljff4fBrgx1hszWgjAHdC2XlMdZEgCTuDctAVw4q0_7BZfHxG1VfuvDcSKgztFY6ZfCp8ahSvf7mqibeJ-C71hYQEWYxosuqbLGHDEmaU

s-l300.jpg

s-l300.jpg

The US box arts for the PS1 games always had characters on them. The JP ones did not

The NA releases had imagery on the covers. And this reverse cover is the logo on a black BG which does not feel Final Fantasy at all. Whatever, the default cover looks nice.

Mista

Banned
I am not a trophy hunter at all but I like getting a Platinum in games that are very well done out of appreciation

I got everything so far in the game and the only thing that is missing is whatever I unlock after finishing the game on hard

Won't do it now because I don't want to feel forced and end up hating the game. So the Platinum trophy is going to wait

Tahj

Finished Remake last night. Those last few hours, whew! Had a great time overall. For sure believe the devs are trying to keep fans of the OG guessing...hopefully it turns out all right XD
Anyway, cautiously optimistic for future installments, & in the meantime, cannae wait to get my hands on the soundtrack!

Top Bottom