• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Kev Kev

I think what nowhat is saying is the issue.

If you lock-on to an enemy and use the d-pad to switch characters, the camera will swing to that character and keep the enemy your locked on in focus. If you're pressing right stick, it changes the target you're focused on. I loaded up the game didn't have any issue with the camera swinging back to the target as I switched characters just now. I can even record some footage if necessary to show this.

actually yes that would be awesome!

its not that i dont believe you, i just cant figure it out, maybe seeing you in action would help

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Just got an email that you can net in-game items by buying butterfinger products and taking a pic of the receipt =\

That promo has been around for over a month now. I want the theme but I don't each much candy and taking pictures of a receipt and sending it in is stupid.

NahaNago

Currently on chapter 9 and while I'm enjoying the game but I would have to say that I'm disappointed by it. I was expecting a larger more interesting world and it has been pretty linear with not enough variety of monsters to fight. I guess this is the price that was paid for rebooting development of the game.

Shouta

actually yes that would be awesome!

its not that i dont believe you, i just cant figure it out, maybe seeing you in action would help

Sure, I just took this.

Basically, if you stay locked on to an enemy and do the character switch with the d-pad, you'll hear a click and swap targets. It should swing the camera but stay focused on target. If you don't hear the click but the camera swings, that's when I hit left or right on the right thumbstick to switch targets. There's a few times where the enemy kind of messes the camera up a little bit but switching or redoing the target lock with R3 seems to work fine. Not sure if this was helpful or not but hopefully it is!

Last edited:

Shouta

Since I'm doing some capture stuff, I took this screenshot last night with my hardware since I thought it looked great when I was playing. I'm using it as a desktop wallpaper now since it was so striking. Spoilered it since it's technically from Chapter 14.

YwVTZXZ.png

YukiOnna

Just finished the game. Holy fuck what a wild ride Chapter 15-18 was. Loved every second.

I can understand why fans of the original game may have not been on board with many of the decisions made, especially the ending, but this is the kind of story direction I was hoping for when this was announced so I'm all for it. Thank you, FFVIIR team. Also, that final battle was peak of the battle system, I hope they don't change too much about the gameplay for future games and just make improvements on it/QOL changes.

Looking forward to the sequel! it's been fun, guys.

Sure, I just took this.

Basically, if you stay locked on to an enemy and do the character switch with the d-pad, you'll hear a click and swap targets. It should swing the camera but stay focused on target. If you don't hear the click but the camera swings, that's when I hit left or right on the right thumbstick to switch targets. There's a few times where the enemy kind of messes the camera up a little bit but switching or redoing the target lock with R3 seems to work fine. Not sure if this was helpful or not but hopefully it is!

Not judging your enjoyment or ability, but seeing un-glammed up gameplay just proves how much of a shit show this combat system/camera is.

Grinchy

Banned
Chapter 8 is so boring and the sidequests are really annoying to do. They really highlight some of the weaknesses of the combat system, and the really bad "story" bits of the sidequests highlight how bad the padding is. The whole chapter feels like a spotlight on the game's biggest shortcomings.

Boneless

Holy shit Barret is awesome with his pincher, I was not expecting him to have so many badass skills with his melee weapons. Level 30 now, guess I´ll try downing leviathan again..

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Finally beat the last VR mission Bahamut (@ level 40) . Took long enough after about 15 tries. I guess the trick was to get a good night's rest. Should've remembered the first lesson of the slums.

(Or it could have been that in the morning after getting up I decided to put try out Cure + All + Lifesaver and then convert all that damage into level 2 limit breaks).

GenericUser

Chapter 12 or something, don't remember. One thing that really grinds my gears is the stagger mechanic of this game. Later on, it's basically necessary to stagger the opponents to do proper damage. But to do so, you have to exploit their weaknesses. To exploit their weaknesses, you have analyse them first. So it happens more then once that I enter a bossfight, equipped with the wrong materia/stuff and have to immediatly restart the fight, once I know what to do. That's kinda lame imo.

blackjon24

Chapter 12 or something, don't remember. One thing that really grinds my gears is the stagger mechanic of this game. Later on, it's basically necessary to stagger the opponents to do proper damage. But to do so, you have to exploit their weaknesses. To exploit their weaknesses, you have analyse them first. So it happens more then once that I enter a bossfight, equipped with the wrong materia/stuff and have to immediatly restart the fight, once I know what to do. That's kinda lame imo.

I'm not to sure how you would remedy something like this unless you're suggesting just dumbing the game down. Maybe its just a different mentality but when I found myself in that situation I would just make sure to be more prepared for upcoming fights.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Finally beat Hell house on Hard difficulty. Took me four tries. Nearly had him the third time but there must've been tonberrys out that I didn't see that killed everyone.

More important WHAT THE FUCK is with these optional side quests in wall market? I need to get Madam M's quests. Multilple online guides say 1) ignore Johnny, 2) Refuse the coin flip, 3) Pay for the expensive massage. I did all three and no fucking Madame M quests, which means I'm going to have to play this goddamn chapter again at some point just to get them. Ugh. Just saw a third guide that also says you need to choose the "It matters what I think" dialogue when talking about Aeriths dress. Jesus fuck. That means that if I want the last few sword scrolls for Cloud I would have to not only try this new combination of things, BUT ALSO beat Hell House AGAIN on hard, and then pray the combination worked. Bunch of bullshit.

Edit: and now a fourth guide says something different. It says you ALSO say Tifa is great at "handling the books." But that you should pick Heads for the flip, which is contrary to all other guides. And that for Aerith's dress you should say Looks comfortable, also contrary. So if I compile all these methods into one complete guide for getting those extra quests and manuscripts its

Step 1) Go to wall market
Step 2) ??????
Step 3) Get spanked by Hard Hell House
Step 4) Profit!

Last edited:

GenericUser

I'm not to sure how you would remedy something like this unless you're suggesting just dumbing the game down. Maybe its just a different mentality but when I found myself in that situation I would just make sure to be more prepared for upcoming fights.

How can I prepare myself when I don't know the weakspots of the upcoming bosses? This was not such a huge deal in the real FF7, where you could equip more materia and in general were not forced to overexploit the weaknesses of your enemies. It's not a game breaker though, it's a minor inconvenience.

mango drank

man, this game looks so good so far. This is the epitome of squeezing all the power out of a console at the end of a generation. A lot of it is art direction, but still. SE were always pushing technical and creative boundaries back in the day with the FF series, and it feels good to be saying that about them again.

TTOOLL

Finally beat Hell house on Hard difficulty. Took me four tries. Nearly had him the third time but there must've been tonberrys out that I didn't see that killed everyone.

More important WHAT THE FUCK is with these optional side quests in wall market? I need to get Madam M's quests. Multilple online guides say 1) ignore Johnny, 2) Refuse the coin flip, 3) Pay for the expensive massage. I did all three and no fucking Madame M quests, which means I'm going to have to play this goddamn chapter again at some point just to get them. Ugh. Just saw a third guide that also says you need to choose the "It matters what I think" dialogue when talking about Aeriths dress. Jesus fuck. That means that if I want the last few sword scrolls for Cloud I would have to not only try this new combination of things, BUT ALSO beat Hell House AGAIN on hard, and then pray the combination worked. Bunch of bullshit.

Edit: and now a fourth guide says something different. It says you ALSO say Tifa is great at "handling the books." But that you should pick Heads for the flip, which is contrary to all other guides. And that for Aerith's dress you should say Looks comfortable, also contrary. So if I compile all these methods into one complete guide for getting those extra quests and manuscripts its

Step 2) ??????
Step 4) Profit!

You guys are TROOPERS. I don't wanna suffer playing this game lol.

Finally got to chapter 15 yesterday, I think this is the endgame, right?

Last edited:

ROMhack

I'm not going to play this game anytime soon, if ever, so can somebody point me to a post explaining the ending? Or spoiler that shit for others and let me know why it differs to normal FFVII.

Thanks from your boy ROMhack.

IKSTUGA

Step 2) ??????
Step 4) Profit!
I got M's quests simply by saying "No" to Johnny, when he asks you about the honeybee place.

Also, about the game itself. It is definitely in my top 5 Final Fantasies with OG VII, Tactics Advance, IV and XIV. I know some people are mad about the final chapter, but I loved it! I'm replaying the original right now and there's already so much crazy shit in there. Why not throw in some more, lol.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I'm not going to play this game anytime soon, if ever, so can somebody point me to a post explaining the ending? Or spoiler that shit for others and let me know why it differs to normal FFVII.

Thanks from your boy ROMhack.
In a nutshell:

They've added "Whisperers" to the game that make sure the characters follow the path of the story laid out by the original (so Aerith and Zack dying etc).
Throughout the game Cloud and some others get glimpses of the future we know, but at the end they fight the Arbiter of Destiny and they talk about how all the glimpses we've seen and know are just a possible outcome, hinting at possible plot changes for the sequels.
You also have a battle against Sephiroth, which already derives from the known path and Zack is also shown in such a way that it might seem that they're gonna somewhat change his story as well.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Installed from the data disc last night, prepped my PS4 with the Sephiroth theme that came with my Amazon preorder, fucking stoked to start this up after work tonight :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom