• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII |OT| Gabe Finally Passes the SeeD Exam

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's not that hard. What I do is run from EVERY random encounter before the
Dollet mission. When you're in Dollet, have Seifer kill Zell and Squall as soon as possible before the first battle ends, that way only Seifer gets experience. Next, give Seifer all the GFs. Solo enough battles with Seifer to make Quetzalcoatl learn Card and level Ifrit enough to get Amm-RF, if you want to get Lionheart on disc one without leveling any permanent character. Later when you get Diabolos after the Dollet Mission, go to the coast by Balamab and fight the fish monsters, but make sure to kill them by Card command. If you Card them, you won't gain any expereince.
You can beat the game with Squall never gaining a single point of experience.

Oh, shit.
Seifer's
gone. I guess I have to go the Amm-RF skill myself. Which isn't too bad since I can card the monsters around. Just will be slow going but I had to get to a safe point and save for the night since I have work tomorrow.

My only worry is hitting enemies to death while I'm trying to gain AP for the GF's. D:

I got up to the third disc back in day (2000), but then stupidly formatted my memory card during a game rental from blockbuster and was discouraged since.

Maybe this time I'll try again, but by breaking by hell out of the game, thank you Stumpokapow!

Opiate

Is there any evidence that more FF will be coming to Steam? I have a friend who is very interested in this franchise, but is a PC gamer now.

Vaco6121

Is there any evidence that more FF will be coming to Steam? I have a friend who is very interested in this franchise, but is a PC gamer now.

I doubt there will be any other releases, aside from FFXIV. We got FFVII and FFVIII because they already had PC releases and just needed to be updated to run on modern OS, and look how long it took them to do that. Mobile would be a better bet than PC.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The only Final Fantasies that ever got PC ports were 7, 8, 11 and 14. Unless they plan on doing some emulation work or taking the effort to get others working native on PC (both highly unlikely) then this will be it.

Knurek

back in '98 we were stuck with the lesser music, unless you had some kind of crazy Yamaha Synthesizer bullshit (that nobody did).

FWIW, the setup for crazy Yamaha Sythesizer bullshit was on FF7PC install disc. Still, even with this installed, you'd miss vocals in One-Winged Angel.

The only Final Fantasies that ever got PC ports were 7, 8, 11 and 14. Unless they plan on doing some emulation work or taking the effort to get others working native on PC (both highly unlikely) then this will be it.

What are they using for efforts like the FF6 umm... remake? That might be easier to port.

DigitalVeil

Neo Member
It's not that hard. What I do is run from EVERY random encounter before the
Dollet mission. When you're in Dollet, have Seifer kill Zell and Squall as soon as possible before the first battle ends, that way only Seifer gets experience. Next, give Seifer all the GFs. Solo enough battles with Seifer to make Quetzalcoatl learn Card and level Ifrit enough to get Amm-RF, if you want to get Lionheart on disc one without leveling any permanent character. Later when you get Diabolos after the Dollet Mission, go to the coast by Balamab and fight the fish monsters, but make sure to kill them by Card command. If you Card them, you won't gain any expereince.
You can beat the game with Squall never gaining a single point of experience.

This is description of doing a no level-up run is a bit disingenuous, there are some tricky segments involving
scripted/forced battles, mainly involving Laguna's segments
; you have to invoke some trickery to get your characters out unscathed from the free exp.
Though since the achievement only states Squall needs to be at his default level, you can just kill him/Laguna off at these battles and cheese said issue completely

Anyway, I'll most likely be picking this game up for a third time (PS1, PSN, now this) since it's unabashedly my favorite game. It's a shame that some of the more intriguing concepts in both the battle system (which never provided enough challenge given the amount of options for creativity it contains) and the characters (
aside from Squall/Laguna, who were developed excellently
) were not given their chance to shine aside from side bits and pieces of dialogue here and there from a small sidequest or so.

That being said, the world/atmosphere is one of the best I've had the pleasure of exploring, as is the music.
I'm also a huge fan of some of the more esoteric themes presented within the game's story, though your mileage may vary there
. This is definitely a game that I would wholeheartedly recommend to almost any RPG fan; though a lot of the execution within the game can be seen as hit or miss I feel it stands as a shining representation of what the FF series is all about in terms of how much Square is willing to take the trend and confidently put their unique spin on it time and time again. (For better or worse.)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

None, outside of the MMO's.

Square/Edios made PC ports of 7-8 in 98/99, but they weren't popular for obvious (bad port) reasons. Series hasn't had PC ports since.

Also, Ammo-RF can't be gained unless Ifrit is level 10. Means I'm fucked on getting Lionheart since Squall has to stay level 7 this run for me. >_>

Oh well, makes the game slightly more interesting for me I guess.

Gibbles17

First FF I played and still the one I love the most (have beat 4 to 13-2). Always come back to it every year or two, just got done finishing it again a few months back. Breaking the game and flying through it is just as fun as those early days of spamming GFs over and over, not knowing any better and extending time played by forever. Four discs of pure gold.

Also the tip to breaking the game in the OP is exactly what I've done for years following my first few playthroughs. To any first timers I'd definitely recommend going in blind, every game is more fun that way for at least the first playthrough.

Zabant

The best final fantasy.

No digital version will ever match my collectors edition though.
1cb0017b42a0eaa86b440210.L.jpg

Square/Edios made PC ports of 7-8 in 98/99, but they weren't popular for obvious (bad port) reasons. Series hasn't had PC ports since.

Also, Ammo-RF can't be gained unless Ifrit is level 10. Means I'm fucked on getting Lionheart since Squall has to stay level 7 this run for me. >_>

Irvine is insufferable anyways.

Jintor

tumblr_moaksuQYiQ1rollfco6_500.png

Anyway, I wanted to point out this pic:

tumblr_moaksuQYiQ1rollfco1_1280.jpg

People always repost it to show off Squall as a dick, but I always felt in context this was an entirely reasonable response to RInoa dicking around in the infirmary

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
playing it now...

by golly it looks so crisp!

are there any graphics mods? I've googled about but only found ones for the psx emulators.

either way, so good. just beat the fire dungeon, i've decided to do the magic boost. because fuck it. i'm gonna have some fun.

Arcayne

People always repost it to show off Squall as a dick, but I always felt in context this was an entirely reasonable response to RInoa dicking around in the infirmary

Looking from your perspective, it logically makes more sense.

I urge anyone who have not played or finished FFVIII to get it now; it's one of the more, in my opinion, unique mainline titles Square have crafted and released. Contrast to VI and VII's bleak and gritty atmosphere, FFVIII oozes color and life - and it works fantastically well. The story is great, but has many missteps and redacts itself in some sections, but it IS thought provoking to say the least... the ending is controversial and even more ambiguous. Gameplay is a hit or miss as the draw system is great and sucks at the same time. It seemed like a good idea at first to use magic as attributes, but gaining the magic itself was a serious chore. However, it did allow for some serious overpowered characters if you could put up with time needed to acquire certain junctions and abilities. Most importantly... Triple Triad is the best damn minigame in any FF ever - hands down. HANDS DOWN!

TnK

There are a few mods out there to make it look a little better. However, I don't think they will work with the steam version.

Would be cool if you point them out. The one thing I dislike about these old PSX games is the pre-rendered backgrounds. Which is why I sometimes think it is better to play on CRT TVs and appreciate the backgrounds lol.

Zebetite

Banned
I've been guilty, in the past, of being far too hard on this game. It's still probably the worst PS1 Final Fantasy game, and it has a boatload of problems--but it's got a bangin' soundtrack and is one of the most wildly experimental Final Fantasy games in terms of mechanics. Said mechanics make it hilariously easy to break the game, but that's part of its charm and there's no right or wrong way to play the game. It does a good job of letting you do whatever the hell you want in terms of party configuration.

It's a shame the characters are awful and the story is so hilariously unfocused. Still, if the above sounds like it's worth 12 bucks to you, then go for it!

d00d3n

As others have mentioned, this is the best final fantasy. The meta game of trying to break the game systems by carding enemies, playing cards, minimizing experience gain, drawing, refining and developing guardian forces is addictive as hell. The main story path is basically just there to be a frame of reference, to reinforce how successful/ridiculous your power gaming has been. The low challenge level of the enemy encounters is not really a problem, because the real problem solving you do in the game has to do with planning and executing your long term power gaming goals.

TheTux

As others have mentioned, this is the best final fantasy. The meta game of trying to break the game systems by carding enemies, playing cards, minimizing experience gain, drawing, refining and developing guardian forces is addictive as hell. The main story path is basically just there to be a frame of reference, to reinforce how successful/ridiculous your power gaming has been. The low challenge level of the enemy encounters is not really a problem, because the real problem solving you do in the game has to do with planning and executing your long term power gaming goals.

I actually like the story and find the meta game boring.

GFs gain exp even when using card. Ifrit will level up as long as he is junctioned to an active member of your party.

TheContact

The beauty and disaster of FFVIII is that there are so many ways to break that game with minimal effort.

Or, you can be OCD and spend your first three hours drawing level 1 spells.

As far as I can tell, a depressing number of people did the later.

Nope. Magic booster!

ezodagrom

About the music:
Hey folks, I apologise for giving you false information yesterday, I was misinformed on the audio quality of the game. The music is actually still the same as the original PC version and not the same as the PlayStation one. However there should be an update for the audio coming soon, just like we did for the recent Final Fantasy VII PC release. We're always trying to make sure you get information on the blog as quickly as possible - and sometimes errors happen, I'm really sorry if anyone bought the game under the premise that it had PlayStation audio.

This was posted in the comments here:
http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-viii-out-now-se-store-and-steam#comment-109578

squallmx

This version plays totally fine on Windows 8, my only issues are the crappy midi music (already replaced with a good modded one) and that SE re-compressed the already heavily compressed Blink video files using VP8 codec and low bitrate:

u2r6.png

y1nl.png

heytred

Neo Member
You know, I've known about the enemies leveling with your party and being able to beat the game without leveling, but I've never actually done it.

Do you guys feel like going for it takes away or adds to the FFVIII experience?

Hubb

Anyway, I wanted to point out this pic:
tumblr_moaksuQYiQ1rollfco1_1280.jpg

People shouldn't point out that pic and say that, that pic isn't real.

Cha

Still one of my favourite FF's. Glad to see a mod for the original music. The original PC release was painful to listen to in comparison to the PS version.

The best final fantasy.
No digital version will ever match my collectors edition though.
1cb0017b42a0eaa86b440210.L.jpg

Nice. This game showed me the importance of owning a memory card. This image reminds me of a friend that bought a second hand (unofficial) bundle that included the game and replica jewelery (Griever pendant necklace, rings, mini gunblade) at a gaming event recently. If I had only turned around 2 seconds before he did, it would have been mine :(

Vehicle design in this game was legendary! :p

heytred

Neo Member
I wouldn't suggest it to anyone for their first time through the game, but once you've already played the main game, it's a cool way to see how much flexibility there is in the game systems.

And really, I just want to experience the story again. So I may even go the Magic Boost route. Thanks for your input. <3

Lyriell

I remember buying an upgrade memory module for my awe32 soundcard so I could hear one wjnged angel on ff7 pc. There were some decent sounfonts....

Now theres a word you never hear nowadays. Xxxx

Top Bottom